collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384436 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #1450 on: February 17, 2021, 02:42:23 PM »
I hope you're right. But when I hear Fauci and co. moving the goalposts back on herd immunity, Biden saying we'll need masks into 2022, it doesn't make me optimistic.

I could see masks into 22 but that's different than no travel, no bars, no restaurants, no sports etc.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1451 on: February 17, 2021, 07:43:37 PM »
1st dose done. Not bad at all.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1452 on: February 17, 2021, 08:23:57 PM »
I don't anticipate full arenas being allowed for at least two years. Unmasked, maybe never.

I just get the vibe from public health officials that they want some measures in place in perpetuity, even if the vaccination campaign is effective.

Ridiculous. I’d be shocked if we aren’t largely back to a normal basketball season by the time MU tips off in November.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1453 on: February 17, 2021, 08:35:53 PM »
Ridiculous. I’d be shocked if we aren’t largely back to a normal basketball season by the time MU tips off in November.

I think it’s 50/50 on whether or not we’ll be back at FF anytime soon...as all of these different strands emerge if the current vaccines are only partially effective against those I don’t see how anyone can justify getting back to gatherings involving multiple households much less 18,000 fans packed into an arena.   Why risk it just to watch a game, concert, etc?

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: February 17, 2021, 08:36:59 PM »
I think it’s 50/50 on whether or not we’ll be back at FF anytime soon...as all of these different strands emerge if the current vaccines are only partially effective against those I don’t see how anyone can justify getting back to gatherings involving multiple households much less 18,000 fans packed into an arena.   Why risk it just to watch a game, concert, etc?

Because the illness won’t be as severe and the $$$ pressure will be too great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #1455 on: February 17, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »
Because the illness won’t be as severe and the $$$ pressure will be too great.

Aren’t all these new strands more contagious/more deadly? 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: February 18, 2021, 06:18:25 AM »
Aren’t all these new strands more contagious/more deadly?

Contagious, yes.
Deadly, no.
Severe illness stopped by vaccine, yes.

edit: well, maybe.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-says-south-african-variant-222209427.html
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 06:41:02 AM by Hards_Alumni »

• All American
« Reply #1457 on: February 18, 2021, 07:35:04 AM »
Contagious, yes.
Deadly, no.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/pfizer-says-south-african-variant-222209427.html

But people's appetite for doing this into and after the summer will be done.  As with the flu, speeding, gun ownership, etc., there will be a level of illness and death that will be considered a reasonable trade off for getting life to normal.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: February 18, 2021, 08:24:52 AM »

But people's appetite for doing this into and after the summer will be done.  As with the flu, speeding, gun ownership, etc., there will be a level of illness and death that will be considered a reasonable trade off for getting life to normal.

I think the prevention of severe illness aspect isn’t being talked about enough. I think I saw a tweet that with the vaccines, we’d expect far less deaths per year than the flu.  If I’m told the extent of risk of Covid is being sick a few days, then I’m very comfortable going into the world. It seems a lot of people are focused on the fact that it’s not 100% preventing disease.

My only question would be, does that include preventing the long term impacts (heart issues, respiratory issues, etc.)?

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: February 18, 2021, 08:29:26 AM »
I think the prevention of severe illness aspect isn’t being talked about enough. I think I saw a tweet that with the vaccines, we’d expect far less deaths per year than the flu.  If I’m told the extent of risk of Covid is being sick a few days, then I’m very comfortable going into the world. It seems a lot of people are focused on the fact that it’s not 100% preventing disease.

My only question would be, does that include preventing the long term impacts (heart issues, respiratory issues, etc.)?

YES on the bolded.  EXACTLY.

There was the head of the local health system on this morning talking about this exact thing.  How people are not getting the vaccine because it isn't 100% effective.  But it doesn't need to be!  And I don't think these messages are getting out enough.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: February 18, 2021, 10:10:07 AM »
Contagious, yes.
Deadly, no.

They should get booster shots ready. Have a very high level of surveillance on new strains. When one pops up that has high levels of immunity to the vaccine, quickly offer boosters to the entire surrounding communities to hopefully stop the spread of resistant variants.

Might be able to get ahead of the variants with a proactive approach.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #1461 on: February 18, 2021, 11:42:43 AM »
They should get booster shots ready. Have a very high level of surveillance on new strains. When one pops up that has high levels of immunity to the vaccine, quickly offer boosters to the entire surrounding communities to hopefully stop the spread of resistant variants.

Might be able to get ahead of the variants with a proactive approach.

That’s a good proactive plan. One of the benefits of the mRNA platform is that we should be able to quickly develop a vaccine to combat evolving variants. Hopefully by then we’ll have enough experience with the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines that FDA will let it through without a full regulatory review.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1462 on: February 18, 2021, 01:10:34 PM »

Unless there is a new vaccine-resistant strain this spring/summer, I completely agree. I will be getting the shots in march and am currently planning 2 different vacations. If still necessary, I will follow protocols with masks, but I will no longer have a problem with being in crowds.

By Fall, we should be closing in on normal. Those who refuse the virus will be left behind (available to be sick or dead). By the fall, society in general will have lost all patience for those refuseniks.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1463 on: February 18, 2021, 04:23:09 PM »
Unless there is a new vaccine-resistant strain this spring/summer, I completely agree. I will be getting the shots in march and am currently planning 2 different vacations. If still necessary, I will follow protocols with masks, but I will no longer have a problem with being in crowds.

By Fall, we should be closing in on normal. Those who refuse the virus will be left behind (available to be sick or dead). By the fall, society in general will have lost all patience for those refuseniks.

I'm going to refuse the virus.  Why should that leave me behind?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1464 on: February 18, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »

I'm going to refuse the virus.  Why should that leave me behind?

Yes I deserve your ridicule. Fingers and brain are not always in sync.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1465 on: February 18, 2021, 06:27:06 PM »
I’m curious as to what point in the vaccination progress cycle we will see travel shaming/outrage start to wane. Cause it’s still hot and heavy, even towards people who are already vaccinated.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: February 18, 2021, 08:40:07 PM »
Got Moderna #1 this afternoon, pleasant experience. Will go again.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: February 18, 2021, 08:49:53 PM »
Probably because I still have the antibodies, shot 1 is hitting me like the anecdotes say shot 2 hits you.

Pfizer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1468 on: February 18, 2021, 09:27:14 PM »
Pfizer

I'm really tired today and arm feels like a couple flu shots. Was really impressed with how quick the shot was. Barely even registered it was in and then she said she was done
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #1469 on: February 18, 2021, 10:22:50 PM »
Pfizer

I'm really tired today and arm feels like a couple flu shots. Was really impressed with how quick the shot was. Barely even registered it was in and then she said she was done

Irish curse, aina?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: February 19, 2021, 06:03:30 AM »
Never really had any side effects from either shot.  Maybe a really weak headache.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1471 on: February 19, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #1472 on: February 19, 2021, 07:56:36 AM »
I've had 30+ flu shots over the years.  Sometimes the vaccinator is great, the needle goes in, bam, out, in half a second .. other times not so much, the slow deliberate vaccinator is the worst.

One time a lady inserted the needle and then said "OOPS!" and left it there for a moment as she collected herself.  The syringe was empty, she'd forgotten to fill it.  Oops, indeed.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1473 on: February 19, 2021, 08:16:02 AM »
I've had 30+ flu shots over the years.  Sometimes the vaccinator is great, the needle goes in, bam, out, in half a second .. other times not so much, the slow deliberate vaccinator is the worst.

One time a lady inserted the needle and then said "OOPS!" and left it there for a moment as she collected herself.  The syringe was empty, she'd forgotten to fill it.  Oops, indeed.

I used to give blood every 8 weeks.  I'm a fairly thin guy so once they tie that band around your arm and have you squeeze like a stress ball a couple times it's pretty easy to find a vein to poke the needle into on me.  It always went quick, to the point sometimes they would comment on how quickly the bag was filling up.  Usually like 10 minutes and it was done, no bruising.  One time they asked me if I was okay with a nurse in training or something getting the bloodwork going.  I don't really care, so I said no problem.  She gets the band around my arm, has me squeeze the stress ball, the vein is sticking out clear as day to see, yet she continues to poke around other areas.  Ultimately she decides the vein sticking way out is the way to go.  She poked around a couple times with the needle, finally gets the needle in, then is like examining it and asks if they ever have trouble with getting blood to flow or whatever.  I told her no, usually it's very quick.  She walks away, leaving the needle totally uncovered, and comes back with one of the full time nurses.  Eventually they pull the needle out and poke it back in and finish it up.  I had a bruise damn near from my shoulder to my wrist when I woke up the next day.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1474 on: February 19, 2021, 08:19:51 AM »
I used to give blood every 8 weeks.  I'm a fairly thin guy so once they tie that band around your arm and have you squeeze like a stress ball a couple times it's pretty easy to find a vein to poke the needle into on me.  It always went quick, to the point sometimes they would comment on how quickly the bag was filling up.  Usually like 10 minutes and it was done, no bruising.  One time they asked me if I was okay with a nurse in training or something getting the bloodwork going.  I don't really care, so I said no problem.  She gets the band around my arm, has me squeeze the stress ball, the vein is sticking out clear as day to see, yet she continues to poke around other areas.  Ultimately she decides the vein sticking way out is the way to go.  She poked around a couple times with the needle, finally gets the needle in, then is like examining it and asks if they ever have trouble with getting blood to flow or whatever.  I told her no, usually it's very quick.  She walks away, leaving the needle totally uncovered, and comes back with one of the full time nurses.  Eventually they pull the needle out and poke it back in and finish it up.  I had a bruise damn near from my shoulder to my wrist when I woke up the next day.

No one was observing the trainee stick a needle in your arm????????????????

feedback