collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)  (Read 126701 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Hydroxychloroquinine updates (and other potential treatments)
« Reply #775 on: August 27, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »
And people wonder why there is little trust in our institutions today to come to sound conclusions.

This plus the CDC head scratching decision on asymptomatic testing means our policy is back to ignore the pandemic and hope It doesn’t get out of control (again).  Buckle up for fall. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #776 on: August 27, 2020, 08:10:47 AM »
And people wonder why there is little trust in our institutions today to come to sound conclusions.

This plus the CDC head scratching decision on asymptomatic testing means our policy is back to ignore the pandemic and hope It doesn’t get out of control (again).  Buckle up for fall.

Interesting development in the last 24 hours with Abbott Labs. They have a new 15-minute, $5 test that, 2-3 months ago, the president would have been touting bigly, proclaiming it the next great thing that will make it possible for American society to reopen soon.

Indeed, when Abbott came out with a similar (but significantly less accurate test) back in May, he was over the top about how it could change the course of human events.

However, in the last month or so, he has gone into a full-out assault AGAINST testing. He has decided he doesn't like that tests have this nasty habit of finding out who has the coronavirus, thereby "increasing my numbers." So he has ordered a slow-down of testing, has bullied the CDC to come out with statements against testing, has claimed the FDA has "Deep State" individuals who are plotting against him, etc.

It's relentless and exhausting ... which might be part of the plan.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #777 on: August 27, 2020, 08:49:16 AM »

I have been involved in the healthcare regulatory world for the past 25+ years. Up until recently, while I occasionally disagreed with FDA, CDC or other regulatory decisions, I always respected them and trusted that they had sound scientific reasons for the actions. In virtually all cases, this ultimately proved to be justified.

That trust has been eroded over the past year or two. First, CDC changing its back to school guidelines after criticism by POTUS that they were 'too tough.' More recently, FDA giving EUA to convalescent plasma even though the researchers themselves question the decision. And now CDC changing its testing guidelines, reportedly again under pressure from the Administration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/26/us/politics/coronavirus-testing-trump-cdc.html

The reason for the erosion of trust is simple. The doctors and other scientists used to be allowed to do their jobs based on the science. Now, they are increasingly being forced to make political decisions.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #778 on: August 27, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »

Frenn’s, that is NOT CDC policy. It is trump policy.

CDC has been turned into trump lackeys like everything else.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 10:26:58 AM by Jockey »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #779 on: August 27, 2020, 10:39:55 AM »
Policy of the administration is the policy.  There may be competing opinions but there is only one policy.  With of course the nuance that in this administration it changes dramatically and often.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #780 on: August 27, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
Policy of the administration is the policy.  There may be competing opinions but there is only one policy.  With of course the nuance that in this administration it changes dramatically and often.

The CDC was never a political organization. They were a health organization. Presidents did not dictate their policy.

That has changed.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #781 on: August 27, 2020, 11:28:27 AM »
The WGN morning news Covid commentator, Dr. Robert Murphy from Northwestern, said he is ‘done’ with the CDC, this seemed like the last straw. He said today that the people working there are terrific but that the people running it have caved, basically.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #782 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:53 PM »
The CDC was never a political organization. They were a health organization. Presidents did not dictate their policy.

That has changed.

Affirmative.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #783 on: August 27, 2020, 01:29:29 PM »
Annnnnnd ... continuing a pattern of President Pandemic bullying what's supposed to be science-based organizations into making politically motivated changes that are bad for Americans ... only to see the heads of those organizations realize that the changes have gone too far ...

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/513946-cdc-director-walks-back-change-in-coronavirus-testing

The director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday issued new guidance for coronavirus testing, days after a quiet change sparked protests from the scientific and medical communities.

In a statement, Director Robert Redfield said those who come into contact with confirmed or probable COVID-19 patients could be tested themselves, even if they do not show symptoms of the virus.

“Testing is meant to drive actions and achieve specific public health objectives. Everyone who needs a COVID-19 test, can get a test. Everyone who wants a test does not necessarily need a test; the key is to engage the needed public health community in the decision with the appropriate follow-up action,” Redfield said.

The CDC revised its testing guidance earlier this week, limiting tests to those who show symptoms. That change prompted backlash among public health experts who pointed to the role asymptomatic people play in spreading the virus, and concern that the revision had been dictated by political appointees outside of CDC.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #784 on: August 27, 2020, 02:48:23 PM »
The WGN morning news Covid commentator, Dr. Robert Murphy from Northwestern, said he is ‘done’ with the CDC, this seemed like the last straw. He said today that the people working there are terrific but that the people running it have caved, basically.

I would encourage everyone to ignore and avoid official CDC policy. It all comes from the WH.

Listen to Fauci. Even listen to Birx. But avoid CDC.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #785 on: August 27, 2020, 02:55:05 PM »
I would encourage everyone to ignore and avoid official CDC policy. It all comes from the WH.

Listen to Fauci. Even listen to Birx. But avoid CDC.

This has been a weird past few months for the CDC.

It's like regulatory capture, but in a way that directly harms US heath and the US economy.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #786 on: August 27, 2020, 02:59:23 PM »
This has been a weird past few months for the CDC.

It's like regulatory capture, but in a way that directly harms US heath and the US economy.

Even in the early days of this it was clear Redfield is not up to the challenge of leading the agency.  Everyone latched on to Fauci in the early hearings that changed everything, but redfield was right there.  He just didn’t say anything useful and everything they have tried to do has blown up. 

I still feel bad that they censored Nancy Messonior (Rod Rosensteins sister) for warning everyone on what was coming. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:03:20 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #787 on: August 27, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
I still feel bad that they censored Nancy Messonior (Rod Rosensteins sister) for warning everyone on what was coming.

Yup, this was the last CDC briefing that really mattere:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/t0225-cdc-telebriefing-covid-19.html

Now I’d like to talk through some examples of what community NPIs look like.  These are practical measures that can help limit exposure by reducing exposure in community settings.  Students in smaller groups or in a severe pandemic, closing schools and using internet-based teleschooling to continue education.  For adults, businesses can replace in-person meetings with video or telephone conferences and increase teleworking options.  On a larger scale, communities may need to modify, postpone, or cancel mass gatherings.  Looking at how to increase telehealth services and delaying elective surgery.  The implementation of environmental NPIs would require everyone to consistently clean frequently touched surfaces and objects at home, at school, at work, and at large gatherings.  Local communities will need to look at which NPIs to implement and when based on how transmission and disease is and what can be done locally.  This will require flexibility and adaptations as disease progresses and new information becomes available.  Some of these measures are better than none.  But the maximum benefit occurs when the elements are layered upon each other.  Some community level interventions that may be most effective in reducing the spread of a new virus like school closures are also the most likely to be associated with unwanted consequences and further disruptions.  Secondary consequences of some of these measures might include missed work and loss of income.  I understand this whole situation may seem overwhelming and that disruption to everyday life may be severe.  But these are things that people need to start thinking about now.  I had a conversation with my family over breakfast this morning and I told my children that while I didn’t think that they were at risk right now, we as a family need to be preparing for significant disruption of our lives.  You should ask your children’s school about their plans for school dismissals or school closures.  If ask if there are plans for teleschool.  I contacted my local school superintendent this morning with exactly those questions.  You should think about what you would do for childcare if schools or day cares close.  If teleworking is an option for you.  All of these questions can help you be better prepared for what might happen.  CDC and other federal agencies have been practicing for this since the 2019 influenza pandemic.  In the last two years, CDC has engaged in two pandemic influenza exercises that have required us to prepare for a severe pandemic and just this past year we had a whole of government exercise practicing similarly around a pandemic of influenza.  Right now CDC is operationalizing all of its pandemic response plans working on multiple fronts including specific measures to prepare communities to respond to local transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19.  Before I take questions, I want to address the issue of the test kits CDC is developing.  I am frustrated like I know many of you are that we have had issues with our test.  I want to assure you that we are working to modify the kit and hope to send out a new version to state and local jurisdictions soon.  There are currently 12 states or localities around the U.S. That can test samples as well as we are testing at CDC 400 samples were tested overnight.  There is no current backlog or delay for testing at CDC.  Commercial labs will also be coming online soon with their own tests.  This will allow the greatest number of tests to happen closer to where potential cases are.  Last, I want to recognize that people are concerned about this situation.  I would say rightfully so.  I’m concerned about the situation.  CDC is concerned about the situation.  But we are putting our concerns to work preparing.  And now is the time for businesses, hospitals, community schools, and everyday people to begin preparing as well.  Over the last few weeks, CDC has been on dozens of calls with different partners in the health, retail, education, and business sectors.  In the hopes that employers begin to respond in a flexible way to differing levels of severity, to refine their business response plans as needed.  I also want to acknowledge the importance of uncertainty.  During an outbreak with a new virus, there is a lot of uncertainty.  Our guidance and advice are likely to be fluid subject to change as we learn more.  We will continue to keep you updated.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #788 on: August 28, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
Thank goodness the REAL coronavirus crisis is being taken care of!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/28/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200828&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=37111&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Two P.R. experts at the F.D.A. have been removed after the fiasco over convalescent plasma.
Two senior public relations experts advising the Food and Drug Administration have been fired from their positions after President Trump and the head of the F.D.A. exaggerated the proven benefits of a blood plasma treatment for Covid-19.

On Friday, the F.D.A. commissioner, Dr. Stephen M. Hahn, removed Emily Miller as the agency’s chief spokeswoman. The White House had installed her in the post just 11 days earlier. Ms. Miller had previously worked in communications for the re-election campaign of Senator Ted Cruz and as a journalist for the conservative cable network One America News. Ms. Miller could not be reached for comment.

The New York Times correspondents Sheila Kaplan and Katie Thomas report that Ms. Miller’s termination comes one day after the F.D.A.’s parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services, terminated the contract of another public relations consultant, Wayne L. Pines, who had advised Dr. Hahn to apologize for misleading comments about the benefits of blood plasma for Covid-19.

“I did recommend that he correct the record,” Mr. Pines said, adding that he wasn’t told why his contract was severed. “If a federal official doesn’t say something right, and chooses to clarify and say that the criticism is justified, that’s refreshing,” Mr. Pines said.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #789 on: August 28, 2020, 02:05:15 PM »
The FDA is now as corrupt as the CDC.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #790 on: August 28, 2020, 02:39:29 PM »
The FDA is now as corrupt as the CDC.

в чем проблема, разве это не правительство, которое вы выбрали?

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #791 on: August 28, 2020, 03:09:51 PM »
The political takeover of FDA and CDC messaging is dangerous for all Americans, but it must be especially demoralizing to the dedicated researchers, statisticians, epidemiologists and others at those agencies. They are professionals who could easily make more money at big pharma or in an academic medical center, and it must be painful to watch their work going to waste. I have worked with many people at those and other DHHS agencies, and I feel truly awful for them.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #792 on: August 28, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »

в советский козырная америка правительство выбирает вас
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #793 on: August 28, 2020, 03:38:30 PM »

Sadly, yes.

будет хуже

MU82

• All American
« Reply #794 on: September 02, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
Encouraging:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200902&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=37331&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

International clinical trials published on Wednesday confirmed the hope that cheap, widely available steroid drugs can help seriously ill patients survive Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Following release of the new data, the World Health Organization on Wednesday strongly recommended steroids for treatment of patients with severe or critical Covid-19 worldwide. But the agency recommended against giving the drugs to patients with mild disease.

The new studies include an analysis that pooled data from seven randomized clinical trials evaluating three steroids in over 1,700 patients. The study concluded that each of the three drugs reduced the risk of death.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #795 on: September 02, 2020, 10:09:13 AM »
Encouraging:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/02/world/covid-19-coronavirus.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20200902&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=headline&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=37331&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

International clinical trials published on Wednesday confirmed the hope that cheap, widely available steroid drugs can help seriously ill patients survive Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Following release of the new data, the World Health Organization on Wednesday strongly recommended steroids for treatment of patients with severe or critical Covid-19 worldwide. But the agency recommended against giving the drugs to patients with mild disease.

The new studies include an analysis that pooled data from seven randomized clinical trials evaluating three steroids in over 1,700 patients. The study concluded that each of the three drugs reduced the risk of death.

One of my former trainees, now a ER doc in your neck of the woods, says Dex is pretty much the go to treatment, essentially the first thing you get when you are admitted.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #796 on: September 21, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.18.20197327v1

Conclusions

Pre-exposure prophylaxis with hydroxychloroquine once or twice weekly did not significantly reduce laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 or Covid-19-compatible illness among healthcare workers.

Okay, so it doesn't work as a prophylaxis, nor does it work after exposure.

We done here?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #797 on: September 21, 2020, 04:48:01 PM »
People should lose their medical licenses over this. And the entertainment channel pretending to be news should be fined for killing people.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #798 on: September 21, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.09.18.20197327v1

Conclusions

Pre-exposure prophylaxis with hydroxychloroquine once or twice weekly did not significantly reduce laboratory-confirmed Covid-19 or Covid-19-compatible illness among healthcare workers.

Okay, so it doesn't work as a prophylaxis, nor does it work after exposure.

We done here?
"Your refusal to accept the miracle cure of HCQ is because you are infected with demon seman!"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #799 on: September 26, 2020, 08:54:05 PM »
ICAM.   Out of Florida.   Logic tracks.  Common medicines in combination.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.