[May 13, 2024, 07:04:22 PM]

Ben Gold's summer by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 05:58:58 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[May 13, 2024, 04:51:05 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by tower912
[May 13, 2024, 04:33:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Poll

Will The Cubs Win The World Series?

Yes
27 (32.5%)
No
56 (67.5%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread  (Read 90523 times)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
Re: The Official Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »
7 more wins.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2016, 04:11:10 PM »
Jooooody, Jody Davis.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Think about all the douchebags who cash in on infamy. They go on Dancing with the Stars or Celebrity Survivor or Kicking with the Kardashians or whatever.

Bartman could have cashed in but he didn't. All he wanted to do was be left alone. A Bartman interview would be THE plum get for any newspaper or TV journalist, but he has avoided the media, the limelight and the public.

I don't use words like heroic easily, and I won't use it here, but I really respect the way he has handled the aftermath by just trying to live his life in peace.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2016, 03:48:49 PM »
Rizzo moved to 4th, Zobrist up to 3rd, Baez batting 5th, Soler starting tonight and batting 6th, with Russel moved down to 7th tonight. 

I'm good with that. 

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2016, 08:19:03 PM »
So far, through the 3rd inning of game 3, the cubs bats again look limp in the NLCS

🏀

• All American
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
This is going great

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2016, 09:08:22 PM »
Cubs looking like the are on the road in San Diego a "few" years ago.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
Wonder if there's anything going on tonight that might impact TV ratings....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2016, 11:12:02 AM »
F*ckin' will tell ya ders nothin' worse than a limp bat, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: The Official Hope the Cubs Win The World Series Thread
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
I think the Subject title above is more appropriate.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2016, 11:44:52 AM »
I desperately want the Cubs to win the World Series this year.

That said, regardless of the outcome of this postseason, fans need to still relish the position the team is in.  We have now made the NLCS in back-to-back seasons, and the team looks like it should be in the playoffs more often than not for the foreseeable future.  MLB Playoffs can be something of a crapshoot, (the 1/15 recent teams to win the WS after winning 100+ games has been mentioned ad nauseum in broadcasts); all we can really ask for is consistent chances.

Now we just have to win 3 of 5 followed by 4 of 7.  We've got this.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »

To find the last time the Cubs came back from a one-game deficit to win a playoff series, you have to go all the way back to 2015.

Hoping Urias looks more like Rick Ankiel than Bret Saberhagen (or Bum/Lackey) in his playoff start debut.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2016, 01:00:29 PM »

You have to win 3 of 4 followed by 4 of 7.  Still doable, but need to win tonight or big trouble.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »
You have to win 3 of 4 followed by 4 of 7.  Still doable, but need to win tonight or big trouble.

More than big trouble ... it is effectively over.  Because if they lose tonight, you have to beat Kershaw to continue the season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2016, 01:09:53 PM »
More than big trouble ... it is effectively over.  Because if they lose tonight, you have to beat Kershaw to continue the season.

Kershaw has been far from unbeatable in his Playoff career.  Great start the other night.  Can he do it two starts in a row?  We'll see.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2016, 01:17:08 PM »
Was just about to say that.    Prior to the other night, Kershaw's career ERA was near 5 and the nattering nabobs were actually discussing if he was a great pitcher since historically he underperformed in the playoffs.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Wally Schroeder

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:35 PM »
The Marlins season was effectively over in '03 when they were down 3-1, even after winning game 5 they faced Mark Prior (2.43 ERA) and Kerry Wood (3.20 ERA) on the road. Yet they won the World Series. Sure, it's an uphill battle, but I highly doubt Joe and the team and sitting around looking at everything as an obstacle they can't overcome.

brandx

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
Was just about to say that.    Prior to the other night, Kershaw's career ERA was near 5 and the nattering nabobs were actually discussing if he was a great pitcher since historically he underperformed in the playoffs.   

No one here said that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:50 PM »
No one here said that.

Not every nattering nabob on the planet is on Scoop, brandy - though I confess sometimes it feels that way.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »
If they can get through tonight (which I think they will) with a W, the pitching matchups are as follows:

Kershaw v Lester
Hendricks v Maeda/Hill
Arrieta v Maeda/Hill/Alex Wood?

Dodgers no doubt go Kershaw game 5 as if they advance (even if he pitches relief in Game 7) would pitch Game 1.

If they can get it back to wrigley with those matchups, i like the chances. It will not be as warm, guesses are the wind will be blowing in. Arrieta's biggest problem of late is the HR ball...wind in could negate that. Hendricks pitched just fine his game, just got out-dueled.

None if this matters if they don't make contact while at the plate.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »

Damnit!

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2016, 03:25:37 PM »
It's weird, I love Hendricks probably my favorite player on the Cubs this year but every time he pitches, I get more nervous with him on the mound than Arietta, and there is absolutely no basis for that thinking.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:05 PM »
If they can get through tonight (which I think they will) with a W, the pitching matchups are as follows:

Kershaw v Lester
Hendricks v Maeda/Hill
Arrieta v Maeda/Hill/Alex Wood?

Dodgers no doubt go Kershaw game 5 as if they advance (even if he pitches relief in Game 7) would pitch Game 1.

If they can get it back to wrigley with those matchups, i like the chances. It will not be as warm, guesses are the wind will be blowing in. Arrieta's biggest problem of late is the HR ball...wind in could negate that. Hendricks pitched just fine his game, just got out-dueled.

None if this matters if they don't make contact while at the plate.

Kershaw will go game 5 moreso because it'd allow him to pitch a couple innings in a close game 7 if it gets there than to line up a rotation for the World Series.

In my opinion (and there very well may be some statistics to disprove my opinion), I think the Dodgers are better equipped to win games where neither team is relying on the long ball.  So far they have not just hit the ball better, but just had better at bats overall in the series.

Tonight will be very interesting.  Urias is a stud but is also the youngest pitcher ever to start a game in the post season (or maybe it's just a Championship series?).  He made 2 starts against the Cubs this year.  One he went 6 innings and gave up 1 run on 6 hits with 2 walks and 8 Ks.  In the other he went 5 innings and gave up 5 earned runs on 8 hits, 1 walk, and 6 Ks.  The Cubs haven't seen him for 2 months.  Meanwhile the Dodgers haven't seen Lackey this year.  Lackey didn't pitch very well his last time out, while Urias hasn't made a start in a month.  Urias has an ERA of under 2.00 since the start of August in 39 innings.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 19, 2016, 04:15:23 PM »
Kershaw will go game 5 moreso because it'd allow him to pitch a couple innings in a close game 7 if it gets there than to line up a rotation for the World Series.

In my opinion (and there very well may be some statistics to disprove my opinion), I think the Dodgers are better equipped to win games where neither team is relying on the long ball.  So far they have not just hit the ball better, but just had better at bats overall in the series.

Tonight will be very interesting.  Urias is a stud but is also the youngest pitcher ever to start a game in the post season (or maybe it's just a Championship series?).  He made 2 starts against the Cubs this year.  One he went 6 innings and gave up 1 run on 6 hits with 2 walks and 8 Ks.  In the other he went 5 innings and gave up 5 earned runs on 8 hits, 1 walk, and 6 Ks.  The Cubs haven't seen him for 2 months.  Meanwhile the Dodgers haven't seen Lackey this year.  Lackey didn't pitch very well his last time out, while Urias hasn't made a start in a month.  Urias has an ERA of under 2.00 since the start of August in 39 innings.

And with that, Dave Roberts just said that Maeda will start Game 5 (not saying that won't change)...

Lackey did have a rough outing, but that was after not starting for a long time. Could have been rust, could have been just bad.

brandx

« Reply #124 on: October 19, 2016, 04:36:51 PM »
Not every nattering nabob on the planet is on Scoop, brandy - though I confess sometimes it feels that way.

C'mon Lenny, get it right. It's "nattering nabobs of negativism".

You're probably as old as I am, so you should know> 8-)

feedback