[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129250 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #3250 on: April 05, 2020, 05:36:10 PM »
COBRA is awfully expensive for someone who lost their job and could face months of unemployment. The marketplace is not reopening.
And this was from March, so the policies are done.
But let’s say that a third of the unemployed are lacking health care. Counting their family members it could well exceed that number.
But even if not, wouldn’t you say 1 million is considerably more than 0?

Point is there are many more that had insurance last month that don’t this month and we are the only first world country where that is the case.
The marketplace is open for life changing events (loss of job), if you cannot afford COBRA, you can get a policy via the marketplace. I am not saying the policy is perfect, or even close to it, but stick to facts.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3251 on: April 05, 2020, 05:42:36 PM »
The marketplace is open for life changing events (loss of job), if you cannot afford COBRA, you can get a policy via the marketplace. I am not saying the policy is perfect, or even close to it, but stick to facts.

This is correct.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3252 on: April 05, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Just made up hysteria from flyer, thinking that everyone's health insurance is tied to their job.  Nevermind that sone companies are continuing coverage for their furloughed employees, some have coverage through a spouse or parent, or that the great Obamacare is available and is supposedly there to allow folks to take risks, start their own businesses, or do a job they like, not have to for insurance.

Fake News.
Despite the urging of many, including the insurance industry, and his own promise to do so, the president last week reneged and decided not to offer a special Obamacare enrollment for those who now need it.
This means that those who don't already have the coverage are excluded until next year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3253 on: April 05, 2020, 05:47:18 PM »
He has for New York and attacked for doing so.  Look at the New York subways, they are packed with people.  Is that blood on the federal government's hands? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8183545/Shocking-picture-shows-New-York-train-packed-mask-wearing-passengers-despite-lockdown.html

This is why this blame game is foolish.  Talk about mixed messages.  Federal gov't advises people to stay home (he cannot order that legally) and New Yorkers packing subway cars at the same time their city is over run with this.  It is easy to point to one single person, but that doesn't make it true.  He has failed as have state and local officials, past and present if you wish to dig deep enough.  A budget cut in 2015 can have an impact today.  What is the point?  Let's solve it.

You asked a question, I answered it directly with a simple strategy, and you respond with "this blame game is foolish"?

My simple plan was to develop and deliver a strong and consistent message (ideally based on input from experts).

Unfortunately, he has not done that for NYC or anywhere else. First he recommended business as usual (even as experts wanted against it), then he recommended that New Yorkers stay at home, yet still he is not doing the same thing for the states that still don't have stay at home orders in place. What are citizens to believe when the message - from severity of the threat when it was new, to the need to test, to the need to stay at home - seems to change as the wind blows?

So you say "let's solve it," and I agree. So again I say: Come up with a plan with input from the experts, develop a strong message based on that plan, and apply it consistently. Then only change the message when the experts give you a very good reason for doing so, and explain the reason for the change.

FWIW - I would recommend this general strategy to ANY leader, regardless of party affiliation, because we need to get through this with as little death and disruption as possible.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 05:49:46 PM by GooooMarquette »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3254 on: April 05, 2020, 05:49:52 PM »

Thanks, I stand corrected on that point.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #3255 on: April 05, 2020, 05:51:13 PM »
Fake News.
Despite the urging of many, including the insurance industry, and his own promise to do so, the president last week reneged and decided not to offer a special Obamacare enrollment for those who now need it.
This means that those who don't already have the coverage are excluded until next year.

You can enroll anytime you have a life changing event. Such as losing your job, getting a new job. I did that last year.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3256 on: April 05, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
“US ‘Wasted’ Months Before Preparing for Virus Pandemic”

Before I get accused of partisan bickering, note that this story is from the AP, widely viewed as the most unbiased media source today: 

https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3257 on: April 05, 2020, 06:15:33 PM »
“US ‘Wasted’ Months Before Preparing for Virus Pandemic”

Before I get accused of partisan bickering, note that this story is from the AP, widely viewed as the most unbiased media source today: 

https://apnews.com/090600c299a8cf07f5b44d92534856bc

Yeah. It’s very clear this was terribly mishandled and lives will be lost and the economy will take a greater hit than it should have. Anybody who denies that has their head in the sand.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #3258 on: April 05, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »
You can enroll anytime you have a life changing event. Such as losing your job, getting a new job. I did that last year.

Impossible,  pakuni is always right.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3259 on: April 05, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
Yeah. It’s very clear this was terribly mishandled and lives will be lost and the economy will take a greater hit than it should have. Anybody who denies that has their head in the sand.

I think it’s been ‘mishandled’ broadly in the western world.  It’s TBD who makes it through best.  USA, in my opinion, good on economic response — average minus health response. 

I hope when this comes back in the fall we have SK or Germany capability + a much better understanding of a therapeutic (we should as the scientist are working on it).

Fingers crossed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3260 on: April 05, 2020, 06:34:51 PM »
Impossible,  pakuni is always right.

You're learning!

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3261 on: April 05, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
I think it’s been ‘mishandled’ broadly in the western world.  It’s TBD who makes it through best.  USA, in my opinion, good on economic response — average minus health response. 

I hope when this comes back in the fall we have SK or Germany capability + a much better understanding of a therapeutic (we should as the scientist are working on it).

Fingers crossed.
just not sure how this is kept at bay until there is a vaccine or it is known for sure you cannot get it twice and a test is available to show if you have had it before.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3262 on: April 05, 2020, 06:49:52 PM »
just not sure how this is kept at bay until there is a vaccine or it is known for sure you cannot get it twice and a test is available to show if you have had it before.

I am much more interested in this than any backward looks.  We are where we are (not a great place). Now how do we make the best system to survive the next 12 months until mass vaccine.  Including btw global coverage of vaccine to return the global economy to growth. 

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3263 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:28 PM »
I am much more interested in this than any backward looks.  We are where we are (not a great place). Now how do we make the best system to survive the next 12 months until mass vaccine.  Including btw global coverage of vaccine to return the global economy to growth.

I know we can site and argue all day about how it should have been handled but it wont change a thing.  I am tired at looking back want something to look forward to.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #3264 on: April 05, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »

They simple answer is a medical treatment + herd immunity.
Once a proven treatment is readily available that makes this more survivable, I tend to believe there will be a push to open things back up.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3265 on: April 05, 2020, 07:24:38 PM »

Widespread reliable testing. That is going to be a requirement to get back to any sense of normalcy. We need to be able to test everyone. We have tested about 0.3% of the population so far.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3266 on: April 05, 2020, 07:30:10 PM »
Widespread reliable testing. That is going to be a requirement to get back to any sense of normalcy. We need to be able to test everyone. We have tested about 0.3% of the population so far.

I agree it’s testing, contact tracing and antibody blood testing.  Duh I guess. Where is our government on all these items?????

I don’t mean to be flip or dismissive, but it’s not that hard to figure out the path forward.  Doing it seems to be elusive.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 07:32:50 PM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #3267 on: April 05, 2020, 07:39:54 PM »
if we can start to open things up by june then we have the summer without many indoor large gatherings to build the herd immunity and be ready for school starting up again in September

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3268 on: April 05, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »
if we can start to open things up by june then we have the summer without many indoor large gatherings to build the herd immunity and be ready for school starting up again in September

Hope.  What’s the plan

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #3269 on: April 05, 2020, 07:50:04 PM »
He has for New York and attacked for doing so.  Look at the New York subways, they are packed with people.  Is that blood on the federal government's hands? 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8183545/Shocking-picture-shows-New-York-train-packed-mask-wearing-passengers-despite-lockdown.html

This is why this blame game is foolish.  Talk about mixed messages.  Federal gov't advises people to stay home (he cannot order that legally) and New Yorkers packing subway cars at the same time their city is over run with this.  It is easy to point to one single person, but that doesn't make it true.  He has failed as have state and local officials, past and present if you wish to dig deep enough.  A budget cut in 2015 can have an impact today.  What is the point?  Let's solve it.

How would you propose essential workers get to and from work in NYC?

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3270 on: April 05, 2020, 07:52:58 PM »

ETA: We've tested about 0.5% of the population, assuming a pop of 330 million.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #3271 on: April 05, 2020, 08:00:24 PM »
https://theconversation.com/a-small-trial-finds-that-hydroxychloroquine-is-not-effective-for-treating-coronavirus-135484

If this medication does work, it's only for early use to prevent worsening.

So all the talk of "last resort" use doesn't make any sense.

Also, some background on the Marseille study/author:

Some of the problems with the Marseille study:

-Author has a history of fabricating data and has had publishing bans from numerous journals

-Excluded 6 patients from analysis. All 6 were given the treatment and then progressed to ICU. One died.

-Very small sample size

-Unblinded

-Unrandomized

-Peer review process lasted <1 day

-The study author also happens to be the editor-in-chief of the medical journal which published it

-He also happens to be chairman of the institute where the study was run.

This study should be aggressively ignored by literally everyone.

**Edit**

I should clarify that I'm not saying that he's a total fraud and he's never done anything valuable. He's extremely prolific and I would think he has contributed important and impressive work in his career. I am saying that for someone of his position to produce such poor studies and draw such inappropriate conclusions from them during this viral pandemic is shameful, irresponsible, and harmful.

This may be personal opinion on my part (slander if you want), but it seems to me like an obvious attempt to gain fame and reputation during a health crisis. That's insulting not just to the medical community but to the public, who doesn't know any better but whom we ask to trust us.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 08:04:20 PM by jesmu84 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #3272 on: April 05, 2020, 08:57:38 PM »
ETA: We've tested about 0.5% of the population, assuming a pop of 330 million.

Wow. So 660,000 people tested in 28 minutes. Now, that’s big time progress.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #3273 on: April 05, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
Wow. So 660,000 people tested in 28 minutes. Now, that’s big time progress.

Or I just redid the math.  ;D

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3274 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:04 PM »

Some of the problems with the Marseille study:

-Author has a history of fabricating data and has had publishing bans from numerous journals

-Excluded 6 patients from analysis. All 6 were given the treatment and then progressed to ICU. One died.

-Very small sample size

-Unblinded

-Unrandomized

-Peer review process lasted <1 day

-The study author also happens to be the editor-in-chief of the medical journal which published it

-He also happens to be chairman of the institute where the study was run.

This study should be aggressively ignored by literally everyone.

**Edit**

I should clarify that I'm not saying that he's a total fraud and he's never done anything valuable. He's extremely prolific and I would think he has contributed important and impressive work in his career. I am saying that for someone of his position to produce such poor studies and draw such inappropriate conclusions from them during this viral pandemic is shameful, irresponsible, and harmful.

This may be personal opinion on my part (slander if you want), but it seems to me like an obvious attempt to gain fame and reputation during a health crisis. That's insulting not just to the medical community but to the public, who doesn't know any better but whom we ask to trust us.

Yikes! Sounds like someone might have flushed a productive career down the toilet with some research misconduct.