collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: CA Bans Fur  (Read 18385 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: CA Bans Fur
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2019, 06:38:52 AM »
Half the time we don't treat humans humanely.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2019, 07:16:42 AM »
I don't think we're going to agree on a workable definition of humane.

i'm guessing you're right.  So here's the question then.  How do you put actions behind your views?  If you have found a way, more power to you.  :)

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2019, 10:23:34 AM »
i'm guessing you're right.  So here's the question then.  How do you put actions behind your views?  If you have found a way, more power to you.  :)

Thanks, and its admittedly difficult.  I've tried to focus more on how I personally feel about this stuff, with a(n imperfect) degree of science behind it, and give up trying to stake out a position I can proselytize. My biggest issue used to be trying to be 100% consistent in a way that no one could ever call me a hypocrite - but that just froze me into inaction. There will always be a "what about this, what about that" and our food system (and preferences) just aren't set up to become totally humane, sustainable eaters overnight.

I started with pork. I had learned a bit about pig intelligence by accident, and honestly wasn't a big pork eater anyway. So that made me cut out pork other than bacon and sausages. Then I stopped getting bacon on things. After awhile, I stopped missing it, and now I probably eat pork less than five times per year. I've gotten used to the non-pork substitutes, but I won't pretend that a chicken brat is as good as a pork brat, either. Now I've moved onto beef, and I'm probably down to eating beef about twice per month. I won't kid myself that some non-humanely (my definition  :)) beef doesn't sneak into those two dozen servings per year - but considering I used to eat beef about 3 times per week, it helps.

I still eat chicken about 3 times per week.  Based on some science I've seen, chickens are less negatively impacted by some types of feeding operations than other animals, and are more efficient to raise by pound of protein from a sustainability angle.  I probably go 2-3 days per week where I eat no meat at all. There are other animals I don't eat just because the psych impact outweighs the pleasure I'd get from it (veal stands out). My eating habits are still riddled with inconsistencies - PETA would splatter me with fake blood just like everyone else - but its moved in a direction I'm more comfortable with even if its still work in progress. Thanks for listening to my TED talk  :P

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2019, 10:28:13 AM »
Go ask any farmer how feed lot cattle are treated.  He'll tell you incredibly well because they are damn valuable.

Right about until the time they're forced into a slaughterhouse, shot in the head with a bolt gun, have their throats slashed and then are left to bleed out on a metal grate.
I have no problem with meat consumption or animal products, but why do we pretend that we go about this humanely? Violently killing a perfectly healthy creature in the prime of its life is anything but humane.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2019, 12:45:50 PM »
Right about until the time they're forced into a slaughterhouse, shot in the head with a bolt gun, have their throats slashed and then are left to bleed out on a metal grate.
I have no problem with meat consumption or animal products, but why do we pretend that we go about this humanely? Violently killing a perfectly healthy creature in the prime of its life is anything but humane.

This is absolutely correct, there is nothing we really do with non-humans that is at all humane, it's a fallacy. Let's be honest with ourselves, we're on top of the food chain and we use all "lesser" animals/plants as our food supply and that involves murdering those entities. How we murder them almost doesn't matter because it's us  trying feel better about it emotionally and not how the animal/plant feels about it because.....it dead.

People can feel however they feel but as long as possible I'm going to eat steak/burgers/bacon/insert food source without regret or concern. If we can find ways to improve the "outcome" for the entity, that's fine as long as it doesn't add to my bottom line because it does not matter to me.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2019, 01:25:39 PM »
Last summer, a crow picked up a live baby rabbit. How did I know it was alive?  Because it was squealing as the crow flew it across the street. A few minutes later, it flew to a nest with the bloody carcass.

I should have called the police, and had the crow arrested.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:05:46 AM by real chili 83 »

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2019, 07:28:52 PM »
Last summer, crow picked up a live baby rabbit. How did I know it was alive?  Because it was squealing as the crow flew it across the street. A few minutes later, it flew to a nest with the bloody carcass.

I should have called the police, and had the crow arrested.

no schmit chili, i was watching this show one time.  freakin animals goin at it, blood all over the place...those prison riots are nasty
don't...don't don't don't don't

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2019, 07:42:07 PM »
nvm
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 09:05:01 PM by jesmu84 »

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2019, 08:28:06 PM »
Thanks, and its admittedly difficult.  I've tried to focus more on how I personally feel about this stuff, with a(n imperfect) degree of science behind it, and give up trying to stake out a position I can proselytize. My biggest issue used to be trying to be 100% consistent in a way that no one could ever call me a hypocrite - but that just froze me into inaction. There will always be a "what about this, what about that" and our food system (and preferences) just aren't set up to become totally humane, sustainable eaters overnight.

I started with pork. I had learned a bit about pig intelligence by accident, and honestly wasn't a big pork eater anyway. So that made me cut out pork other than bacon and sausages. Then I stopped getting bacon on things. After awhile, I stopped missing it, and now I probably eat pork less than five times per year. I've gotten used to the non-pork substitutes, but I won't pretend that a chicken brat is as good as a pork brat, either. Now I've moved onto beef, and I'm probably down to eating beef about twice per month. I won't kid myself that some non-humanely (my definition  :)) beef doesn't sneak into those two dozen servings per year - but considering I used to eat beef about 3 times per week, it helps.

I still eat chicken about 3 times per week.  Based on some science I've seen, chickens are less negatively impacted by some types of feeding operations than other animals, and are more efficient to raise by pound of protein from a sustainability angle.  I probably go 2-3 days per week where I eat no meat at all. There are other animals I don't eat just because the psych impact outweighs the pleasure I'd get from it (veal stands out). My eating habits are still riddled with inconsistencies - PETA would splatter me with fake blood just like everyone else - but its moved in a direction I'm more comfortable with even if its still work in progress. Thanks for listening to my TED talk  :P

Good for you.  I mean it sincerely.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
One day all of you meateaters will be on the wrong side of history.

Your grandchildren will grow up to be ashamed of you.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2019, 04:07:53 PM »

Yeah but in 100 years, everyone will forget I was even alive.  And when I was alive I got to eat meat.

I can live with that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2019, 05:18:33 PM »

That’s nice.

I had a great Filet Mignon last night...scrumptious.  After watching Cam Newton’s drop off going Vegan, I am going to stick with meat moving forward.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »
Grain-free, baby, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

jesmu84

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2019, 07:02:42 PM »

history?  didn't we evolve from hunters and gather'ers which included meat eaters?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2019, 07:04:02 PM »
Guessin' canines meens somethin' different to ya dan it duz two mee, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2019, 07:08:31 PM »

we need 'em for rippin, tearin, root canals and crowns ;D

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2019, 07:43:14 PM »
  we need 'em for rippin, tearin, root canals and crowns ;D

Aka retirement home, Cadillac, trophy wife and gambling, aina.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2019, 09:27:22 PM »
Aka retirement home, Cadillac, trophy wife and gambling, aina.

don't forgot about the fur...

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2019, 09:41:11 PM »

Speaking of canines and not allowing stuff...these sons-of-bitches are actually thinking a little crazy...imagine the bitching that will go on if this happens doc?

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/10/22/massachusetts-bitch-ban/
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2019, 10:25:54 PM »

Wha the eff are you talking about?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2019, 11:15:22 PM »
Wha the eff are you talking about?

Sure as hell ain't Arby's, goddammit.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2019, 12:25:51 AM »
Speaking of canines and not allowing stuff...these sons-of-bitches are actually thinking a little crazy...imagine the bitching that will go on if this happens doc?

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/10/22/massachusetts-bitch-ban/

This is dumb. It also seems like not even the guy who introduced the bill thinks it should be passed.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2019, 09:20:59 AM »
This is dumb. It also seems like not even the guy who introduced the bill thinks it should be passed.

But he proposed it anyway....amazing.  He was for it before he was against it?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »
But he proposed it anyway....amazing.  He was for it before he was against it?

I think bill proposals are often done to either appease a constituent or make a statement.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.