collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate  (Read 18941 times)

Coleman

• All American
Re: MU's embarassingly high acceptance rate
« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2016, 03:25:40 PM »
I mean, like the Hilton Hilton or the Motel 6 Hilton? Or, inside Paris Hilton?

The Hilton Hilton, although I'm sure Paris had 30 guys in her too.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2016, 03:41:04 PM »
The Hilton Hilton, although I'm sure Paris had 30 guys in her too.

The real Hilton? Hell's Bells. I recall thinking that Schroeder seemed like the Taj Mahal after a year in the round vomitorium that is McCormick.

I will never forget the look on my mother's face the first, and only, time she visited our digs after moving off campus between Wells and State. I am not sure if it was the mountain of dirty dishes, the hand me down and looted decor package, the stench of spilled beer and bong water tinged with a cloying hint of eau de wet dog, or the orange shag carpet that sounded like a bowl of rice crispies as you glided across its hardened crust that made her most uncomfortable.

I think we convened a 'Resident Summit' to discuss how to prepare the place for unexpected parent visits but couldn't agree if bongs on the cable spool tables and the collection of bras tacked to the wall posed a threat to parental approval.

Death on call

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 04:15:15 PM »
For the love of dear God say it isn't so!!!

There are a lot of precious memories contained within those walls...

And also on those walls...

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 04:18:12 PM »
Ohio named a campus after her?

Wowzers.

Thanks to Scoop, I have been able to put a face to a name for Raquel Welch and now Jane Mansfield. I had heard the name never knew what she looked like.

Any other 1960s beauties that I should be aware of?

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 07:34:51 PM »
Here is a factoid that not everyone knows.  She is the mother of Mariska Hargitay, the chick on Law & Order SVU.

Have some patience, FFS.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2016, 08:13:20 PM »
For the love of dear God say it isn't so!!!

There are a lot of precious memories contained within those walls...

And in the bushes across the street.  The hell with May.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2016, 10:35:07 PM »
Here is a factoid that not everyone knows.  She is the mother of Mariska Hargitay, the chick on Law & Order SVU.

She also holds such beauty pageant titles as:

Miss Analgesin
Miss Fill-er-up
Hot Dog Ambassador
Miss Freeway

I'm not joking... Look it up.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2016, 06:49:56 AM »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2016, 02:32:01 PM »
Ohio named a campus after her?

Lost her head, aiinnaa?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2016, 11:09:31 PM »
Is anyone concerned about the fact that MU has missed it's Freshmen enrollment goal for 2 years running, so much so that an entire wing of O'Donnell was closed this past academic year, and that they need to accept nearly 75% of all applicants just to yield a class size large enough not to have to lay people off?  The reason I bring this up is because I recently became aware of a high school senior in the northeast for whom MU is still their first choice, but their parents saw that MU's acceptance rate was 75% last year according to Princeton Review and now they have serious reservations about sending their daughter there, even though they acknowledge MU is a very good fit.  It should come as no surprise that one parent's alma mater is an Ivy and although the other parent isn't an ivy alum, they also graduated from a northeastern elite ivy caliber school.   I realize the offspring of northeastern elitist snobs aren't MU's primary constituency, and I don't know these people personally.....another alum friend of mind who lives near these folks told me about this, but it's definitely disappointing.   Other than hoping WOJO gets us competitive again, which  isn't going to happen anytime soon, what is the administration doing to rectify this situation?  I realize MU isn't Harvard or Stanford, or even BC or GTOWN but if that 75% figure is accurate, that's embarrassing and is going have a serious impact on our ranking.   Thoughts?

Yes I am concerned because it once again demonstrates the incompetence of Dr. Lovell. One of the key measures US News looks at is percentage acceptance.  Look at how Northeastern University, which is no where near the school we are,  has moved up in US News due to conscious manipulation of these stats.

I have been working hard to promote MU to people in the northeast like your friends. They need to be able to go to their cocktail parties and proudly proclaim their kids are going to MU. In order to do that we need to be seen at the very least as a Big Ten equivalent academically and more in the direction of Georgetown academically. The lacrosse program is actually helping quite a bit as that is a sport of kids who go to better public schools and private schools.

Perceptions are what matter with snobby northeast elitists if you want to get them to pony up their money.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2016, 01:20:36 AM »
Yes I am concerned because it once again demonstrates the incompetence of Dr. Lovell. One of the key measures US News looks at is percentage acceptance.  Look at how Northeastern University, which is no where near the school we are,  has moved up in US News due to conscious manipulation of these stats.

I have been working hard to promote MU to people in the northeast like your friends. They need to be able to go to their cocktail parties and proudly proclaim their kids are going to MU. In order to do that we need to be seen at the very least as a Big Ten equivalent academically and more in the direction of Georgetown academically. The lacrosse program is actually helping quite a bit as that is a sport of kids who go to better public schools and private schools.

Perceptions are what matter with snobby northeast elitists if you want to get them to pony up their money.

I'm glad we don't cater towards those families. Don't want that sort of attitude anywhere near campus.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
Agreed. I have no interest in Marquette manipulating data to cater to people like that.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »

Excellent point! We should cut our acceptance rate by 30%. I look forward to your annual multimillion dollar donations to accommodate that loss in tuition. Can't believe Lovell hasn't thought of that.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2016, 07:32:58 AM »
Understand from very reliable sources that this year's Frosh class exceeds 2000 at this point.  Will be a little melt but every reason to expect that last year's class of about 1825 was an anomaly. Good news.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2016, 08:53:39 AM »
OH NOES!!!!

That can't be good for the acceptance rate!!  Doesn't Lovell know that it would be better to have a class of 1,500 so the east coast elites pay more attention to us???

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2016, 12:19:17 PM »

DiUlio I don't think had a "basketball is not important" mentality.  Dukiet had already been run out of town when he got into office, and we moved from the Horizon to the Great Midwest to Conference USA when he was here.

And he also deserves a lot of credit in addressing the problems of the neighborhood.

http://marquettewire.org/9011/ae/latest-issue/our-greatest-tradition/

"Rather than uproot Marquette’s campus or erect a wall around the premises, DiUlio enlisted a former classmate, LeSage, to help him with his vision to rejuvenate the area by creating Campus Circle in 1991. To curb the decline in applications as quickly as possible, “A ‘quick and dirty’ assessment was made of all properties in terms of value, rehabilitation costs and potential,” the Bruner Award document stated.

In the winter of 1992, Campus Circle began acquiring properties in a “decaying” 90 square-block area contiguous to the university to develop student housing, commercial property and low-cost housing for local residents.

As of 1995, Campus Circle had already purchased over 150 properties, owned $50 million in real estate value, built or renovated 153 units of new student housing and acquired 88,000 square-feet of commercial space."

I was also a classmate of Fr. Dulio, know him fairly well,  and remember that when he was president of Xavier, prior to M.U., he built their basketball program.
He never missed a game when he was a student at M.U., he was/is an avid fan and supporter of college basketball. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2016, 12:23:28 PM »
And in the bushes across the street.  The hell with May.

Doing it in the bushes at Marquette is dangerous most of the school year. Gives new meaning to both "chapped ass" and "hydrogen embrittlement"...

Death on call

source?

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2016, 01:21:31 AM »
I missed this thread earlier, but as far as I can see the entire premise is completely false. As far as I can see, and I could be wrong and am open to correction, Marquette's acceptance rate is 66.7%, a far cry from the 75%+ claimed by the thread starter.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2016, 03:18:57 AM »
I missed this thread earlier, but as far as I can see the entire premise is completely false. As far as I can see, and I could be wrong and am open to correction, Marquette's acceptance rate is 66.7%, a far cry from the 75%+ claimed by the thread starter.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/marquette-university-3863

66.7 or 75%??

The difference between f#cking embarrassing and f#cking shameful. If Marquette is accepting 2/3 or 3/4 of all applicants it means they have no standards. If Marquette wants to be seen as elite it needs to start acting accordingly. Taking all comers hardly communicates exclusivity.

Death on call

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2016, 04:08:32 AM »
Another trick that N.D. would use was a high list price and many  scholarships for small amounts like $500 which would draw a lot of applications looking for a scholarship.

There is a lot of trick marketing used in college admissions.

In my view the important decision criteria should be how graduate school admissions rate the diploma of an institution.  Some diplomas are worthless no matter what the acceptance rate is on the front end.   

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2016, 06:49:04 AM »
66.7 or 75%??

The difference between f#cking embarrassing and f#cking shameful. If Marquette is accepting 2/3 or 3/4 of all applicants it means they have no standards. If Marquette wants to be seen as elite it needs to start acting accordingly. Taking all comers hardly communicates exclusivity.

Did you mean to use teal?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2016, 07:50:50 AM »

Did you mean to use teal?

Probably not.  The Jesuits' mission is to educate the elite, so the acceptance rate is indeed out of whack.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
Recent experience, grandson of a friend, applied to M.U. and Purdue engineering.  I called admissions on his behalf, he was on the waiting list.  He never got accepted by M.U. so he went to Perdue, his first choice was Marquette as he had a brother in Chicago.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 08:56:15 AM by vogue65 »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2016, 10:28:06 AM »
Recent experience, grandson of a friend, applied to M.U. and Perdue engineering.  I called admissions on his behalf, he was on the waiting list.  He never got accepted by M.U. so he went to Perdue, his first choice was Marquette as he had a brother in Chicago.

He must have really been an idiot.  Marquette takes just about everyone.
Have some patience, FFS.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2016, 10:34:59 AM »
This thread has covered a number of admission topics including both the size and composition of the recent Frosh entry classes.  Bottom line, the typical Freshman has been pretty stable (class rank, HS GPA, ACT score) over several years (call it about 10) and while enrollment dipped somewhat in 2015, that appears to be an anomaly based on the 2016 incoming class.  In fact, I believe but am not certain that the 2014 class might have been near an all time record so overall things appear very strong.  I only restarted this to pass along that info.  What I've indicated above might enable folks to skip some pages here.

feedback