collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University  (Read 27982 times)

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
Re: Marquette University
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 01:45:33 PM »
That will help acceptance rate for out New England friends.     ::) ::)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2020, 02:11:59 PM »
Marquette, along with a lot of other schools, extended their deposit deadline to June 1.  So comparisons to last year aren't exactly apples-to-apples.  I'm sure the reason this wasn't mentioned was because Marquette apparently just decided to do this on Monday - most other schools made that decision weeks ago.

And I am sure a lot of students (and parents) are waiting to see if Marquette will be a residential campus in the fall.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2020, 10:37:41 PM »
It's interesting to think of how each class (Fr, So, Jr, Sr) have different takes on starting school -- and I'd like to see more than just the Class of 2024 numbers.

Freshmen are .. excited.  Lots can't wait to have that college experience.

Seniors .. wouldn't be surprised if lots of them would want to pause.   First, the economy in 2021 is not going to be conducive to getting hired .. second, social distancing would be a sad way to end college life.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 02:50:36 PM »
It's interesting to think of how each class (Fr, So, Jr, Sr) have different takes on starting school -- and I'd like to see more than just the Class of 2024 numbers.

Freshmen are .. excited.  Lots can't wait to have that college experience.

Seniors .. wouldn't be surprised if lots of them would want to pause.   First, the economy in 2021 is not going to be conducive to getting hired .. second, social distancing would be a sad way to end college life.

I can only speak based on my daughter's experience, but her friends that remained in Milwaukee are not doing much social distancing.  Parties still going on.  Kids are being kids.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
Video put out by Marquette today by Marquette muckitymucks remotely congratulating the class of 2020.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1957632901037422
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 05:31:23 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2020, 05:41:18 PM »
Video put out by Marquette today by Marquette muckitymucks remotely congratulating the class of 2020.

That was painful to watch.  And doesn't everyone by now know to use an appropriate camera angle?  The lady with the baby---yikes. 
Ludum habemus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2020, 05:51:48 PM »
Thought it was fine.  Better than I would’ve done, with the exception of calling it a “Golden Eagle education.”
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
Thought it was fine.  Better than I would’ve done, with the exception of calling it a “Golden Eagle education.”

Yeah, I was overly critical.  None of them signed on to be their own producer and camera crew.  And I now recognize that “lady” to be the Dean of the College of Nursing with whom I assume is a grandchild.  Heartfelt, so not bad. 
Dean of the Law School needs a new furnace. 
Ludum habemus.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2020, 07:05:24 PM »
Yeah, I was overly critical.  None of them signed on to be their own producer and camera crew.  And I now recognize that “lady” to be the Dean of the College of Nursing with whom I assume is a grandchild.  Heartfelt, so not bad. 

Our HR department worked with a couple of our graphic designers to put together a video for our CEO and President thanking them for all they’ve done for us and continuing to support us and keep us running through all of this.  They asked employees to send a 10 second clip saying thank you in whatever way you want.  Even having grown up with this kind of technology I still find it awkward as can be to talk into a phone screen staring into my own face.  I hate FaceTiming, Zoom, etc.  It’s all just awkward to me.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marquette Gyros

• Starter
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 09:05:21 PM »
Our HR department worked with a couple of our graphic designers to put together a video for our CEO and President thanking them for all they’ve done for us and continuing to support us and keep us running through all of this.

Yeesh.

Fear of layoffs manifesting as sycophancy at scale by HR, with an added layer of forced time wasting by (through subjective peer pressure) forcing everyone to record a thank you video for their dear leaders.

Corporate America at its absolute worst...

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 09:14:45 PM »
Yeesh.

Fear of layoffs manifesting as sycophancy at scale by HR, with an added layer of forced time wasting by (through subjective peer pressure) forcing everyone to record a thank you video for their dear leaders.

Corporate America at its absolute worst...

Nobody forced anything. They asked for 10 seconds or less of you saying thank you. It took, well, 10 seconds.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 09:24:42 PM »
Yeah, I was overly critical.  None of them signed on to be their own producer and camera crew.  And I now recognize that “lady” to be the Dean of the College of Nursing with whom I assume is a grandchild. Heartfelt, so not bad. 

Correct on both counts.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 07:40:52 AM »

It was a little long but nice.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 11:39:05 AM »
The academic calendar was released with an earlier start and end date for Fall semester. Of course this is all with the caveat that plans may need to change based on government and medical official guidelines.

https://www.marquette.edu/email/today/marquette-today-academic-calendar-5-15-20.php

Undergraduate courses will begin on Wednesday, Aug. 26, 2020, and in-person instruction will conclude on Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2020. Students then will have the opportunity to move out for the semester prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. This calendar change prompts a necessary adjustment to final exams as well and requires that we administer them remotely from December 2 to 9, 2020. More information about best practices for delivering online exams will be forthcoming.

To maximize the amount of time students are away from campus and out of residence halls, spring 2021 undergraduate courses will begin a week later than usual on Monday, Jan. 25, 2021, and conclude on Saturday, May 8, 2021. Final exams will be administered in person, May 10 to 15, 2021. Graduate School and Graduate School of Management courses will follow a similar schedule.

Spring break has been combined with Easter break and will take place from Saturday, March 27, through Monday, April 5, 2021, for undergraduate courses, while most Graduate School and Graduate School of Management courses will resume on April 5, 2021. In this way, we limit the number of times students travel home and back during the semester.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 12:36:33 PM »

wadesworld

• All American

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
Buh bye College of Education.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2020, 07:54:22 AM »
Buh bye College of Education.

For sure?  It was inevitable.  Education programs are shrinking all over Wisconsin and Marquette's was pretty small to begin with. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »

For sure?  It was inevitable.  Education programs are shrinking all over Wisconsin and Marquette's was pretty small to begin with.
Yep, more layoffs coming.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2020, 09:25:12 AM »
Marquette is moving into Phase 2 of the return to campus plan.

https://today.marquette.edu/2020/06/work-from-home-continues-for-majority-of-campus-recovery-plan-step-2-protocols-in-place-for-limited-number-of-employees-returning-to-campus/

They have also created a nice brochure explaining the process and what employees can expect as they return to campus - https://issuu.com/marquetteu/docs/return_to_campus_step2_v1

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
Marquette is moving into Phase 2 of the return to campus plan.

https://today.marquette.edu/2020/06/work-from-home-continues-for-majority-of-campus-recovery-plan-step-2-protocols-in-place-for-limited-number-of-employees-returning-to-campus/

They have also created a nice brochure explaining the process and what employees can expect as they return to campus - https://issuu.com/marquetteu/docs/return_to_campus_step2_v1

Creating "department designees" to ask health screening questions and conduct temperature checks is not a good idea. 

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2020, 11:39:49 AM »
Marquette partners with Herzing University on new pathway program.

The program recognizes that there might be some students in the high school Class of 2020 who need an alternative pathway – possibly due to academic and/or financial reasons – for their four-year college experience. Marquette Horizons at Herzing offers national access to a Marquette degree through a first-year online pathway program.

Applications are now being accepted for the Horizons program, which starts in fall 2020 and offers an eight-class sequence through Herzing. This includes three courses developed and structured by Marquette instructors as well as access to additional Marquette resources. All courses have been approved for transfer credit in full by Marquette, subject to GPA requirements.

The one-year program blends the strengths of each institution to create an “on-ramp” to the Marquette experience. Students will benefit from Herzing University’s 20-year expertise in online education and best-practice student support on a national level.

https://today.marquette.edu/2020/06/marquette-partners-with-herzing-university-on-new-pathway-program/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2020, 11:42:08 AM »
Marquette partners with Herzing University on new pathway program.

The program recognizes that there might be some students in the high school Class of 2020 who need an alternative pathway – possibly due to academic and/or financial reasons – for their four-year college experience. Marquette Horizons at Herzing offers national access to a Marquette degree through a first-year online pathway program.

Applications are now being accepted for the Horizons program, which starts in fall 2020 and offers an eight-class sequence through Herzing. This includes three courses developed and structured by Marquette instructors as well as access to additional Marquette resources. All courses have been approved for transfer credit in full by Marquette, subject to GPA requirements.

The one-year program blends the strengths of each institution to create an “on-ramp” to the Marquette experience. Students will benefit from Herzing University’s 20-year expertise in online education and best-practice student support on a national level.

https://today.marquette.edu/2020/06/marquette-partners-with-herzing-university-on-new-pathway-program/

Interesting, so is this sort of like the Wisconsin technical schools guaranteeing admission to any UW school after 2 years?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
Interesting, so is this sort of like the Wisconsin technical schools guaranteeing admission to any UW school after 2 years?

I don't believe your statement is true, Hards.

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2020, 02:02:43 PM »
Yeah you have to complete a defined set of classes in two years and get a certain GPA.

feedback