collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Marquette University  (Read 27164 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: Marquette University
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2020, 11:02:35 AM »
Could Marquette politely request that students who reside in the surrounding counties become commuter students?  Offer free parking etc.

TinyTimsLittleBrother

• Starter
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2020, 12:01:06 PM »
So Sophomores have to find housing?  Is there enough non dorm housing available?

They don't have to find housing.  They can opt out by either commuting or finding an apartment. 

In my opinion this won't work because sophomores have already made decisions about whether or not they will commute, and it is too late to find a suitable apartment.

The University and the health department are concerned about quarantine space.  What isn't being said is that if a student lives off campus, and they test positive for Covid, the University doesn't have to provide space for them.  And if they live with three other students in an apartment?  They are all quarantining.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2020, 08:36:31 PM »
yes... In some very unfun areas.

So, no...
Have some patience, FFS.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2020, 09:15:09 PM »
Protest at Lovell's house..

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2020/08/17/faculty-students-protest-at-mu-presidents-house/

Our risk our choice is easy as they're all social distancing and wearing masks... not sure he'd have that same attitude as his dorm mates start coughing all over him
Maigh Eo for Sam

Macallan 18

• Walk-On
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2020, 09:05:04 AM »
Below are the videos that students are required to watch before returning to campus, including a pledge to do your part.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWjoSn_I1aTHKeD6b4slgwxdqKaKA_NQ

Marquette also produced a video encouraging students to mask up.

https://youtu.be/XmcuAxDyWog

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2020, 10:12:06 AM »
Below are the videos that students are required to watch before returning to campus, including a pledge to do your part.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWjoSn_I1aTHKeD6b4slgwxdqKaKA_NQ

I bet ND didn't make their students take a Youtube pledge. MU has solved COVID!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2020, 02:00:58 PM »
Dr. Lovell also sent this out to all of the students yesterday:

Dear Marquette students,
I want to extend a warm welcome as we embark on a new academic year. Whether it is your first semester or last, I think it is important to recognize that the start of this year will be the most unique in Marquette’s 139-year history.
Throughout the summer, hundreds of faculty and staff worked tirelessly to develop a Recovery Plan for reopening campus. This plan includes significant changes to the way we take classes, live in residence halls, and interact socially so that we can help protect the health and safety of our community. We’re asking you to do your part by taking and following the Marquette University Community Pledge.
We all need to understand the seriousness with which you, and every member of the Marquette community, must take our public health and safety requirements. We’re seeing at college campuses across the country that mistakes by a few are having large impacts on many. Disregard for wearing face masks and maintaining proper physical distance, as well as hosting large social gatherings off campus, can have enormous impacts, including compromising others’ health. These behaviors could potentially lead to a shift back to completely remote education. One person’s decision to ignore their responsibility can be the reason for an entire class missing its senior year.
I am confident that each of you will take seriously your responsibility to maintain the safety of your fellow students and our dedicated faculty and staff who are devoted to your success. I encourage you to participate in less risky outdoor activities and university-sponsored events that maintain social distancing.
I believe that each of you are willing to personally sacrifice for the well-being of our university. Remember, YOU make the difference.
Best wishes on a successful and safe semester,
Dr. Michael R. Lovell
President
Marquette University

Look for university-sponsored events and activities at these websites (some sites are still being updated for the start of the academic year):
Campus Ministry
Late Night Marquette
Office of Engagement and Inclusion
Office of Residence Life
Recreational Sports/Rec Center/Rec Plex
Student Organizations

https://www.marquette.edu/email/president/8-20-20-coronavirus.php

TL;DR - Don't be a dick.  Follow the rules so that we don't have to shut campus down.
Have some patience, FFS.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2020, 02:12:53 PM »
Kinda like da Pledge of Allegiance, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »

Dr. Lovell also sent this out to all of the students yesterday:

Dear Marquette students,
I want to extend a warm welcome as we embark on a new academic year. Whether it is your first semester or last, I think it is important to recognize that the start of this year will be the most unique in Marquette’s 139-year history.
Throughout the summer, hundreds of faculty and staff worked tirelessly to develop a Recovery Plan for reopening campus. This plan includes significant changes to the way we take classes, live in residence halls, and interact socially so that we can help protect the health and safety of our community. We’re asking you to do your part by taking and following the Marquette University Community Pledge.
We all need to understand the seriousness with which you, and every member of the Marquette community, must take our public health and safety requirements. We’re seeing at college campuses across the country that mistakes by a few are having large impacts on many. Disregard for wearing face masks and maintaining proper physical distance, as well as hosting large social gatherings off campus, can have enormous impacts, including compromising others’ health. These behaviors could potentially lead to a shift back to completely remote education. One person’s decision to ignore their responsibility can be the reason for an entire class missing its senior year.
I am confident that each of you will take seriously your responsibility to maintain the safety of your fellow students and our dedicated faculty and staff who are devoted to your success. I encourage you to participate in less risky outdoor activities and university-sponsored events that maintain social distancing.
I believe that each of you are willing to personally sacrifice for the well-being of our university. Remember, YOU make the difference.
Best wishes on a successful and safe semester,
Dr. Michael R. Lovell
President
Marquette University

In other words, if you're gonna hook up, please do it outside.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2020, 03:03:15 PM »

In other words, if you're gonna hook up, please do it outside.

Come November wrapping it up is going to have a whole different meaning unless you want some frostbite
Maigh Eo for Sam

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2020, 03:52:23 PM »
Come November wrapping it up is going to have a whole different meaning unless you want some frostbite

Queue Heise calling for the end of all Universities located in cold weather locations

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2020, 04:37:23 PM »
i understand that the main purpose of college is to get an education.  but let's be honest here- much of the pr surrounding most schools attractions are the "extra-curricular" stuff.  exhibit A-the loughlin gals.  this covid thing is putting a big pooper in that party.  this could be the start of the decline of "need" to go to college.  people are going to realize, hey, i don't really need...fill in the blank as i'm finding out, for example, i didn't miss the NBA that much
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2020, 06:23:54 PM »
i understand that the main purpose of college is to get an education.  but let's be honest here- much of the pr surrounding most schools attractions are the "extra-curricular" stuff.  exhibit A-the loughlin gals.  this covid thing is putting a big pooper in that party.  this could be the start of the decline of "need" to go to college.  people are going to realize, hey, i don't really need...fill in the blank as i'm finding out, for example, i didn't miss the NBA that much

I know a couple of guys from high school who are extremely happy to be doing HVAC/plumbing/trades.  They were making 50k two years out of high school, and are living quite comfortably.

Plus, they didn't have to pay back an enormous student loan.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #89 on: August 21, 2020, 06:39:01 PM »
I know a couple of guys from high school who are extremely happy to be doing HVAC/plumbing/trades.  They were making 50k two years out of high school, and are living quite comfortably.

Plus, they didn't have to pay back an enormous student loan.

Same. And now that we're all 40-ish they struggle to stand up straight or make a fist properly. Trading your health for money isn't for everyone.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:24 PM »
Same. And now that we're all 40-ish they struggle to stand up straight or make a fist properly. Trading your health for money isn't for everyone.

And likely making the about the same money they were making 2 years out of high school.
Have some patience, FFS.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2020, 07:29:15 PM »
Skilled trades pay upwards of 100k in some situations.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »
Skilled trades pay upwards of 100k in some situations.

That is why I said "likely", not "in every situation".
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2020, 07:44:30 PM »
They make plenty of money for their lifestyle.  Plus the smart ones start their own business.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2020, 07:56:56 PM »
They make plenty of money for their lifestyle. 

What does that even mean?
Have some patience, FFS.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #95 on: August 21, 2020, 08:02:20 PM »

They love to hunt, fish, and go up north with their families.

They have ample cash flow to achieve these goals.  Trucks, boats, first homes that the built.  They are happy blue collar workers.

They didn't need to go to college to achieve these goals.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 21, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
Get your CDL in high school, skip college, join the Local 150 operators, boom $145k+ with the best insurance money can buy plus pension.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #97 on: August 21, 2020, 11:51:43 PM »

I think he's calling them swingers.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #98 on: August 22, 2020, 06:05:48 AM »
Get your CDL in high school, skip college, join the Local 150 operators, boom $145k+ with the best insurance money can buy plus pension.

But if you don’t really want to do that for a living, it kinda sucks.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #99 on: August 22, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »

I am sure if it were that easy, there would be a lot more people doing that.  I see plenty of truck driver job postings that brag that they pay 60 cents a mile, which means at the speed limit, you'd have to work about 80 miles a week.

Reminds me of Steve Martin's advice on how to be a millionaire.  "First - get a million dollars."
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback