collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 99101 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2023?
« Reply #1175 on: November 14, 2023, 08:14:38 PM »
Anyone who watches The Boys will like Gen V.  Just as entertaining and dark, but really great use of the twist about the supes they revealed later in Season 3 to develop a great parallel plot. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1176 on: November 15, 2023, 09:52:06 AM »
I just want those Yoopers to find whatever is buried there.
Episode 1 and they are already turning up Roman coins.....in Canada.
Is this like Storage Wars, where the producers place things (or bury them in this instance) to drum up interest?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1177 on: November 15, 2023, 12:56:05 PM »
Is this like Storage Wars, where the producers place things (or bury them in this instance) to drum up interest?

No, they are finding real treasures  ::)

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1178 on: November 15, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »

Storage Wars brings back bad memories. My parents rented a storage unit in the Phoenix area. Among other things, they used it to store all of their Christmas decorations -- the large majority of which were hand made by my mother and by us when we were kids. Very sentimental stuff - 50+ years worth of memories. The storage company screwed up and sold the unit. It would be an understatement to say that my mother was devastated. There was a statute that made it pretty easy to get a limited recovery, but it wasn't much because it was limited to the value of the items -- which were basically worthless from a financial standpoint. It really sucked.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1179 on: November 25, 2023, 08:36:25 AM »
Watched the first episode of the new season of Fargo last night. It was pretty good ... though it was difficult getting past Juno Temple's very fake Minnesota accent.

We had just finished Lessons In Chemistry on Apple+. Worth watching.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1180 on: November 25, 2023, 08:53:13 AM »
Watched the first episode of the new season of Fargo last night. It was pretty good ... though it was difficult getting past Juno Temple's very fake Minnesota accent.

Yeah I watched the first two the other day. I hope its good. The first two seasons were just fantastic - the third and fourth were less so.

I think the accent is clearly over-the-top just like in the original movie.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1181 on: November 25, 2023, 12:30:41 PM »

Yeah I watched the first two the other day. I hope its good. The first two seasons were just fantastic - the third and fourth were less so.

I think the accent is clearly over-the-top just like in the original movie.

Yeah, I SO associate her with Keeley … and it’s SUCH a fake accent. Bad combo.

I agree with your take on the series, and hope this season is good.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1182 on: November 25, 2023, 01:34:41 PM »
We had just finished Lessons In Chemistry on Apple+. Worth watching.

Kind of an up and down show, wasn't really sure of its direction for awhile and the twist was out of NOWHERE.

That being said, Episode 7 was beautiful and moving, an A+++ episode for a series that was about a B for me.

I really don't like Brie Larson, but she did well in the role.  I also think Louis Pullman is gonna be a big deal in the next 5-10 years.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1183 on: November 25, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
Kind of an up and down show, wasn't really sure of its direction for awhile and the twist was out of NOWHERE.

That being said, Episode 7 was beautiful and moving, an A+++ episode for a series that was about a B for me.

I really don't like Brie Larson, but she did well in the role.  I also think Louis Pullman is gonna be a big deal in the next 5-10 years.

The show got sappy at times, but it also could be very moving.

Agree about the leads, although I thought Brie Larson was very good in Room.

The daughter was something else. I've known a few precocious kids, but not quite THAT precocious!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1184 on: November 28, 2023, 04:37:43 AM »
Must see TV, Marquette basketball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1185 on: November 28, 2023, 01:50:58 PM »
I loved the first two episodes of the new Fargo. Seems to be back to the quality of the first 2 seasons. I think the acting across the board is excellent so far.

Also, watched the first 5 episodes of the reality show squid game. Started really slow imo but picked up a lot. I kinda like we such a huge prize pot and so many people player theres a lot of randomness to it. Probably sucks for the players missing out on winning to sometimes no fault of your own, but as a viewer its entertaining never really having an idea whats gonna happen.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1186 on: November 30, 2023, 07:37:24 AM »
I guess I am the only one who liked season 3 of Fargo.  The quality of the show has regressed with each season, but I thought season 3 was still well above the enjoyable to watch line (while season 1 especially and season 2 were fantastic.)  Didn't care for season 4.  Am waiting until the wife is ready to binge season 5.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1187 on: November 30, 2023, 10:44:53 AM »
I guess I am the only one who liked season 3 of Fargo.  The quality of the show has regressed with each season, but I thought season 3 was still well above the enjoyable to watch line (while season 1 especially and season 2 were fantastic.)  Didn't care for season 4.  Am waiting until the wife is ready to binge season 5.

I agree with you.

Coon, Thewlis, Wigham, Winstead, Stuhlberg are all very good in that season.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1188 on: November 30, 2023, 10:50:14 AM »
I have liked all four of them. I would rank them: 2,1,3,4. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1189 on: November 30, 2023, 10:55:55 AM »

S3 is still very solid. Its just definitely a step down from the 1st two. I know a lot of people personally who have watched Fargo and the only debate is 1 or 2. Everyone I know has them in the top 2.

Even 4 I think was decent enough. Fun cast. Just tried to throw way too much sh it in there with all the crime families.

2,1, 3, 4 is my personal ranking. So far through 3 eps on 5 I feel like it will comfortably fall in 3rd place. Long way to go though. But love the cast and plot.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1190 on: November 30, 2023, 10:57:09 AM »
I agree with you.

Coon, Thewlis, Wigham, Winstead, Stuhlberg are all very good in that season.

You didnt like McGregor?

Agreed on all of those you mentioned being great though. Whigham and stuhlbarg make everything they join better.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1191 on: December 01, 2023, 05:58:17 PM »
You didnt like McGregor?

Agreed on all of those you mentioned being great though. Whigham and stuhlbarg make everything they join better.

He was good, especially with two parts. Suppose it’s more that at the time that season was on the others stood out more since I knew them less then McGregor.

The series is so often an embarrassment of riches it’s easy to overlook some performances. For instance, Ted Danson was pretty good in season two but he doesn’t pop up first.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1192 on: December 06, 2023, 08:42:30 AM »
RIP Norman Lear, dead at 101.

With "All in the Family," he basically invented a different kind of television-watching experience that is still benefiting viewers today, more than 50 years later.

Gone was the laugh track and the schmaltzy Brady Bunch kind of family sit-com. Enter the topical, satirical, political, sometimes profane, thought-provoking realm.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1193 on: December 06, 2023, 01:52:45 PM »
RIP Norman Lear, dead at 101.

With "All in the Family," he basically invented a different kind of television-watching experience that is still benefiting viewers today, more than 50 years later.

Gone was the laugh track and the schmaltzy Brady Bunch kind of family sit-com. Enter the topical, satirical, political, sometimes profane, thought-provoking realm.

A New Haven kid.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1194 on: December 06, 2023, 06:39:37 PM »
Archie Bunker ... best TV character ever?

If not, he's sure as shyte in the team picture.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1195 on: December 06, 2023, 09:35:25 PM »
Archie Bunker ... best TV character ever?

If not, he's sure as shyte in the team picture.

Not really a character imo - more a caricature. So was Edith, Meathead, George Jefferson, etc.. no nuance whatsoever, everything each of the cast ever said was totally predictable.

I nearly always agree with your entertainment reviews, Mike…I’m sure I’m very much in the minority, but not this time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1196 on: December 06, 2023, 10:39:15 PM »
Correct. You are in the minority on this one!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1197 on: December 07, 2023, 06:51:57 AM »
Not really a character imo - more a caricature. So was Edith, Meathead, George Jefferson, etc.. no nuance whatsoever, everything each of the cast ever said was totally predictable.

I nearly always agree with your entertainment reviews, Mike…I’m sure I’m very much in the minority, but not this time.

L-o-effing-l
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #1198 on: December 07, 2023, 08:46:02 AM »
I recently watched a few episodes of "All in the Family", and there is no effing way that show would be aired today.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1199 on: December 07, 2023, 08:56:30 AM »