collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 95727 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #1100 on: July 16, 2023, 11:54:19 AM »
Just finished the second season of Perry Mason. Interesting looks at racism in the 1930s, and filled with moral/ethical issues.

Two main characters are gay, which of course has led to some pearl-clutching, but I thought they dealt with interestingly.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #1101 on: July 16, 2023, 03:21:26 PM »
Just finished the second season of Perry Mason. Interesting looks at racism in the 1930s, and filled with moral/ethical issues.

Two main characters are gay, which of course has led to some pearl-clutching, but I thought they dealt with interestingly.

It's too bad HBO cancelled the show.

Matthew Rhys/Juliet Rylance great lead duo. Robert Downey, Jr. involved. Show runners from The Knick handled an improved second season.  Alas, none of that cachet matters in the days of streaming. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1102 on: July 16, 2023, 04:12:11 PM »
It's too bad HBO cancelled the show.

Matthew Rhys/Juliet Rylance great lead duo. Robert Downey, Jr. involved. Show runners from The Knick handled an improved second season.  Alas, none of that cachet matters in the days of streaming.

Agree with all.

We also just finished the finale of Jack Ryan. It had the same kind of thrills that 24 used to, but with better acting. The torture scenes were painful to watch, but we did get a kick out of how quickly Jack recovered.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1103 on: July 16, 2023, 05:31:56 PM »
S2E7 of The Bear might be one of the best episodes of a show I’ve ever seen. As a recovering restauranteur, I did what I did for so long to “surprise a table with Pequod’s pizza.” I poured myself into books (I own Unreasonable Hospitality that Richie was reading). I prided myself on perfection. It’s also why I couldn’t sleep for years, couldn’t shut off my mind, and why it took my body six months before it relaxed after I sold my long time pride and joy of a restaurant. I love The Bear, it is spot on for someone like me. I wish more people served in restaurants (or bartended like Al said), I think it would immediately up the level of respect we should share for each other.

At the beginning of that episode, my wife and I both groaned. FFS, do we need any more focus on Richie? He's terrible, just get rid of him. By the end of that episode (and for the rest of the season) he was our favorite character. Incredibly well done. The next day I called Sanford to see if my pre-pandemic "Day in the Kitchen" gift card was still good.

Thankfully, it is.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1104 on: July 16, 2023, 08:15:55 PM »
At the beginning of that episode, my wife and I both groaned. FFS, do we need any more focus on Richie? He's terrible, just get rid of him. By the end of that episode (and for the rest of the season) he was our favorite character. Incredibly well done. The next day I called Sanford to see if my pre-pandemic "Day in the Kitchen" gift card was still good.

Thankfully, it is.

I woke up early this morning feeling some of the same emotions I haven’t felt in five years. Even my wife said she got it. She was the Claire early on in our relationship, but we made it.

Great story, Brew, and thankfully indeed. We take great pride in what we do, and we love when people want to see what it’s all about. I think you’ll have one heck of an experience. Sandy was a long time customer of mine, and I never could understand why such an accomplished chef would spend his hard earned money in my place. I saved money for awhile just so I could bring a few friends to Sanford back in the day, it sure was an experience.

I love Richie, we are all a little bit Richie.

Side note: just started watching Shrinking on Apple TV, about three episodes in, what a great show. Outstanding really.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1105 on: July 16, 2023, 08:40:09 PM »
I woke up early this morning feeling some of the same emotions I haven’t felt in five years. Even my wife said she got it. She was the Claire early on in our relationship, but we made it.

Great story, Brew, and thankfully indeed. We take great pride in what we do, and we love when people want to see what it’s all about. I think you’ll have one heck of an experience. Sandy was a long time customer of mine, and I never could understand why such an accomplished chef would spend his hard earned money in my place. I saved money for awhile just so I could bring a few friends to Sanford back in the day, it sure was an experience.

Side note: just started watching Shrinking on Apple TV, about three episodes in, what a great show. Outstanding really.

Loved it. As I said earlier in the week. Ford was the biggest emmy snub by far(not that I really care). Hes incredible.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1106 on: July 17, 2023, 07:25:09 AM »

One of the recent very enjoyable shows.  Has Ted Lasso vibes as it's the same creator

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1107 on: July 17, 2023, 08:48:28 AM »

NYT columnist David French (not a TV critic but an op-ed writer) just published an outstanding column about Richie. He touched on the sentiment you expressed in your last sentence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/16/opinion/the-bear-fx.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20230717&instance_id=97711&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=139507&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1108 on: July 17, 2023, 10:28:37 AM »
NYT columnist David French (not a TV critic but an op-ed writer) just published an outstanding column about Richie. He touched on the sentiment you expressed in your last sentence.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/16/opinion/the-bear-fx.html?campaign_id=9&emc=edit_nn_20230717&instance_id=97711&nl=the-morning&regi_id=108420427&segment_id=139507&te=1&user_id=d36dcf821462fdd16ec3636710a855fa

Outstanding piece, thank you so much for sharing. We all want to be seen, be loved, contribute, have a purpose, see, and love.

It reminds me that we just don’t know what others are dealing with, so why not give them the benefit of the doubt first. Let them yell, just listen. Let them cry, just offer a shoulder. Let them grow, support them from the back, or wherever they ask.

Here is probably my favorite paragraph of the article:

“I’ve seen this with my own eyes. I’ve seen how we’ve become a nation of bruised reeds, busy breaking one another. We see the rage but we miss the pain. We exclude the very people we most need to include. We lash back to inflict even greater wounds. We forget to seek the virtues hidden under a shell of vice.“

God damn I love The Bear. I love Richie. I feel seen.

EDIT: Who woulda thunk a TV show and MUScoop would end up being my therapy…for the better! You all may never know the effect you have on me (or the world) but know there is an effect. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

Be aware of the place where you are brought to tears. That’s where I am, and that’s where your treasure is.

—The Alchemist
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 10:32:54 AM by 21Jumpstreet »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1109 on: July 17, 2023, 10:39:00 AM »
Who woulda thunk ... MUScoop would end up being my therapy

Uh-oh!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #1110 on: July 17, 2023, 10:43:22 AM »
Uh-oh!

Hey now, no pull quoting! But yeah, uh oh for sure 😂

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1111 on: July 20, 2023, 08:14:54 PM »
I watched Jackie Brown the other night.  I hadn't seen it it like 15 yrs.  I'm not saying it's in Tarantino's top 4 but it's still an excellent film.   Whatever happened to Bridget Fonda?  She was fantastic in this flick. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1112 on: July 20, 2023, 09:49:00 PM »
I watched Jackie Brown the other night.  I hadn't seen it it like 15 yrs.  I'm not saying it's in Tarantino's top 4 but it's still an excellent film.   Whatever happened to Bridget Fonda?  She was fantastic in this flick.

VERY good movie.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1113 on: July 20, 2023, 10:01:15 PM »

God damn I love The Bear. I love Richie. I feel seen.

Just finished binge watching it. Wow, just wow. Great music, great shots of Chicago. More honest, raw emotion than in any series I’ve ever seen. Can wait for season 3.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1114 on: July 22, 2023, 10:47:00 PM »
Just finished the Bear and want to echo all the positive comments on the series so far. Episode 6 was incredibly difficult to watch but at the same time enthralling. Episode 7 went and topped it. Our favorite episode so far. I also agree with 82 about the ending of this season but I guess they have to set up Season 3.

When I was 16 I was a line chef at Henrici's Steak and Lobster. I'm 65 now and no job was as stressful as that one. Would get home around midnight after cleaning up the kitchen. It was not unusual for me to wake up a couple of hours later and find myself standing in my bedroom sweating, trying to fill orders on time. The system was once a ticket was given to us we had 9 minutes to fill it. Something was always going wrong to stymie that. This show has brought back a lot of the memories of working that kitchen.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1115 on: July 23, 2023, 06:34:43 PM »
VERY good movie.

QT is only making one more film.  :(

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1116 on: July 24, 2023, 10:31:10 PM »
Quarterback on Netflix was so good, each guy had a unique story, and the access given was ridiculously great. I hope they bring Cousins back for season 2.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1117 on: July 25, 2023, 05:36:53 AM »
Quarterback on Netflix was so good, each guy had a unique story, and the access given was ridiculously great. I hope they bring Cousins back for season 2.

I enjoyed it too.

I’d prefer three new QBs. Maybe Allen, Hurts, and Herbert. But I’m guessing there’ll be one stretch in there like Mariota.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1118 on: July 25, 2023, 02:54:02 PM »

VERY good movie.

Hadn't seen this since I watched it in the theater 20-some years ago but your posts made me want to check it out again. Watched it over the weekend and loved it again. Everybody in the cast was great. I had forgotten Michael Keaton had such a big role. And you know what, Muggs ... you're right about Bridget Fonda. Outstanding in her role.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1119 on: July 25, 2023, 03:52:45 PM »
Hadn't seen this since I watched it in the theater 20-some years ago but your posts made me want to check it out again. Watched it over the weekend and loved it again. Everybody in the cast was great. I had forgotten Michael Keaton had such a big role. And you know what, Muggs ... you're right about Bridget Fonda. Outstanding in her role.

IMO, his second best film outside OUATIH. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1120 on: July 25, 2023, 04:04:50 PM »
IMO, his second best film outside OUATIH.

I'm a big fan, and it wouldn't be easy for me to rank them.

I think I'd put Inglorious Basterds #1 and then, I don't know, Pulp Fiction?

But I also loved Once Upon a Time, both Kill Bills, Django, Jackie and Reservoir Dogs. I liked Hateful Eight better than a lot of critics did, I think. Didn't really dig Natural Born Killers.

Just looking at a list right now, I've never seen From Dusk Till Dawn, Grindhouse or Death Proof. Should I be seeking out any or all of those?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1121 on: July 25, 2023, 04:08:02 PM »

That scene after they leave the department store and "search" for where the car is parked is absolute gold.  "Is it this row Louis?  Louisssssssssssssssss....... "  LOL.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1122 on: July 25, 2023, 04:10:07 PM »

But I also loved Once Upon a Time, both Kill Bills, Django, Jackie and Reservoir Dogs. I liked Hateful Eight better than a lot of critics did, I think. Didn't really dig Natural Born Killers.

Just looking at a list right now, I've never seen From Dusk Till Dawn, Grindhouse or Death Proof. Should I be seeking out any or all of those?

Eh, maybe.  From Dusk Till Dawn is fine.

I like Django the best of the rest.  I like Jackie Brown and OUATIH the best because they don’t dwell on the violence per se.  Like both movies have plenty of it, but it feels almost ancillary to the story. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1123 on: July 25, 2023, 04:36:40 PM »
1.Pulp Fiction
2. Reservoir Dogs
3. Jackie Brown
4.Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
5. Django Unchained
6. Inglorious Bastards
7-? All the rest

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1124 on: July 25, 2023, 05:22:52 PM »

Dusk till Dawn is top 3. Even if for some reason you don’t like the movie, Selma Hayek is worth the price of emission.

Greatest movie dance scene ever.