'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

No posts were found.

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Can Marquette be "The Next Villanova"?  (Read 35228 times)

fjm

• All American
Re: Can Marquette be "The Next Villanova"?
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2022, 09:56:43 PM »
What time is Marquette’s Elite 8 game start this weekend?   Same time as DePaul’s?

Ope. Looks like you’re joining NolongerWarriors and 4evercantspell on the block list. Post above is def you.

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2022, 10:06:14 PM »
Ope. Looks like you’re joining NolongerWarriors and 4evercantspell on the block list. Post above is def you.

It's ok.  We are on our way to becoming the next Houston!

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 24, 2022, 10:07:21 PM »
Quote from: Farley36 on Today at 08:50:47 PM
"What time is Marquette’s Elite 8 game start this weekend?   Same time as DePaul’s?"

Right after  the Rodents play ! ! !  8-)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2022, 10:08:58 PM by Ardmore Mug »

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2022, 12:30:36 AM »
Villanova has a legit shot at a 3rd natty.  Anyone who thinks the Marquette program is in the same universe as Villanova is insane.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2022, 01:08:05 AM »
Villanova has a legit shot at a 3rd natty.  Anyone who thinks the Marquette program is in the same universe as Villanova is insane.

Ironically enough we are in the same universe according to science/astronomy.

Also ironically enough Marquette hasn't lost to Villanova in like 400 days or so.
VIOLENCE!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 25, 2022, 11:49:12 AM »
So how is Nova Nova?  Obviously it all comes down to Jay Wright.  It's really about:

1) Point guard play.  They always have a lead guard that is both a threat to score but is in total control of the game.  I know people don't think Gillespe is BE POY good for some reason, but he is an absolute stud in the college game.  And Brunsnon before him, Archi before him, Reynolds, etc.  They play at their own pace and control everything offensively.

2) Discipline.  The shot fakes on the perimeter into the drive, the jump stops in the paint, the defensive matchups.  There are times where it looks like a team is going to get out and run in transition on them and at the very least get bad matchups for Nova, and at best get an easy transition basket.  But they get matched up so well.

3) Shooting.  All 5 guys on the court are threats to shoot the ball.  They can spread you out, drive on you, and kick from there.  They're always making the defense move.

4) Weight room.  Especially their guards, but everyone can battle in the Big East and in the Tournament.

And then they have the talent on top of all of that.

I'd be thrilled to have about half of what is above.

Excellent points and I agree wholeheartedly.

Nova has also gotten much. much better recruits over the past 10-15 years than Marquette has brought in. Nova has had better coaching, better players and better results than Marquette. Unless our recruiting improves I don't see Marquette coming close to the success Villanova has had recently.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #181 on: March 25, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »
Ironically enough we are in the same universe according to science/astronomy.

Also ironically enough Marquette hasn't lost to Villanova in like 400 days or so.

Post season is what matters. It is what you play for. We have been a failure the last 10 years in that regard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 25, 2022, 05:45:32 PM »
Too bad Jay Wright didn’t stop trying in 2013, when Marquette was winning the Big East and going to the Elite Eight, and Nova was coming off a stretch of R1 loss/13-19/R1 loss.

I hear any Villanova fans who aspired for greatness for the program back then were told on NovaScoop to just quit caring.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »
What does Farley think about MU becoming the next Villanova? That really is my baseline and do lazy to read all of his posts.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2022, 06:19:50 PM »
What does Farley think about MU becoming the next Villanova? That really is my baseline and do lazy to read all of his posts.
He hasn’t been very clear about it but I don’t think he is convinced we can do it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2022, 07:13:18 PM »
ATL MU

Thanks for the confirmation. I have been trying to read between the lines in his posts and your post clears things up for me.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2022, 10:54:00 PM »
Can Marquette be "The Next St. Peter's"?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 25, 2022, 11:59:32 PM »

Sources say Farley has stopped caring about Marquette. Because that's what true fans do.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2022, 12:33:55 AM »

Wrong.  I think with the right coach Marquette could become much closer to Villanova than we are now.  What I find silly though is the people here who seem to think we currently aren’t far off from being Villanova.   We are much closer to the bottom teams in the Big East than the top teams right now.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2022, 08:09:53 AM »
Farley

not exactly sure why I am asking this, but who would be the right coach?

Viper

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2022, 08:23:50 AM »
Wrong.  I think with the right coach Marquette could become much closer to Villanova than we are now.  What I find silly though is the people here who seem to think we currently aren’t far off from being Villanova.   We are much closer to the bottom teams in the Big East than the top teams right now.
I won’t say Shaka was the wrong hire…or correct hire, yet. The coaching search is such a crap-shoot, it seems. Did Shaka’s in-game crunch time coaching win and/or lose a game or two? Both, I’d say. But, we definitely need more player talent. Let’s see what emerges this off-season, who returns, and their on-court improvement. I think it’s possible MU is a top 3 BE team next year. We could also be a bottom 4 BE team next year.  If ever a record correctly reflects where a team is at now, it’s Marquette. Mid-pack.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2022, 08:40:13 AM »
St. Peters coach was sub .500 prior to this season, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #192 on: March 26, 2022, 08:42:48 AM »
St. Peters coach was sub .500 prior to this season, hey?

And now he’s going to make some serious cheddar
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2022, 12:04:48 PM »
I think with the right coach Marquette could become much closer to Villanova than we are now.

This is the first attempt you've kind of made at a comment that wasn't either pure idiocy or trolling. Indeed, this is similar to what I've been saying throughout the thread, and it's more in line with what the intent of the O.P. was. Congrats on almost kind of figuring it out.

Now, can we give Shaka another year or two to see if he can be the right coach, or should we fire him today and start over?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2022, 12:10:12 PM »
And now he’s going to make some serious cheddar

Sure, because schools are suckers and want the latest and the greatest. He'll get da bag. But, fookin' John Wooden couldn't do chit without talent. A good mix of talent and coachin' puts you the conversation, hey?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 12:11:46 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2022, 12:14:39 PM »

Sure, because schools are suckers and want the latest and the greatest. He'll get da bag. But, fookin' John Wooden couldn't do chit without talent cheating. A good mix of talent and coachin' puts you the conversation, hey?
FIFY

Goose

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
4ever

I like the St. Peter’s coach and hope he makes a big haul after this season. That said, I think there will be a very sorry buyer for his services in a few years. I hope I am wrong, but not much of resume prior to the last few weeks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2022, 12:54:45 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2022, 12:56:06 PM »
Farley

not exactly sure why I am asking this, but who would be the right coach?

Not Wojo and likely not Shaka.   I wont pretend to know.  But Nova wouldn’t be Noca without Jay Wright.  They captured lightning in a bottle.  That’s kind of the point.  Even with all the resources that MU has, they also would have to capture lightning in a bottle.  Until we do, to claim we are closer to Nova than bottom BE teams is just fan hope more than reality.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2022, 12:58:24 PM »
4ever

I like the St. Peter’s coach and hope he makes a big haul after this season. That said, I think there will be a very sorry buyer for his services in a few years. I hope I am wrong, but not much of resume prior to the last few weeks.

If he goes to SH, I sure hope you are right Goose. I'm fine with a good, solid SH team- provided that we beat them on a fairly regular basis- but a BE version of what he has done at St. Peter's? No thank you. With Nova and UCONN, we have enough to deal with.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

feedback