collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 127995 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #825 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:00 AM »
Seriously? 

Yes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25112894/ty-montgomery-fumble-halts-green-bay-packers-final-shot-win-vs-los-angeles-rams

Now look, I get that you should always allow players to seize opportunities as they come forward, but you have to understand the situation better than this guy did.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #826 on: October 29, 2018, 09:01:12 AM »
Seriously?  It's confirmed he got that direct instruction from coaches before taking the field.  If true (and I have no reason to doubt), he should have been left in LA unless that's somehow against the CBA.

Yes, at least a dozen players/coaches confirmed that was the instruction as well as one coach who was quoted as saying that Montgomery had been removed for some reason the previous drive and threw a hissyfit so this was him saying "I'm gonna do me".

Even if he doesn't fumble, it was galatically stupid because you get the ball at the 25 with 205 left if you kneel meaning you can do anything you want with the first play because you've got the 2 minute warning.

No way to prove it, but if Montgomery kneels the ball, the Packers win that game. Only needed a field goal and 2:05 and one TO is an eternity for Rodgers with the whole playbook available(including Aaron Jones).

Dude should have been left in LA. Crosby you stand-by because he's proven himself, Montgomery doesn't give you anything you have to have on the roster.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #827 on: October 29, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
Yes.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25112894/ty-montgomery-fumble-halts-green-bay-packers-final-shot-win-vs-los-angeles-rams

Now look, I get that you should always allow players to seize opportunities as they come forward, but you have to understand the situation better than this guy did.

Yep.  Watched the clips.  Both Rodgers and Mac appropriately threw him under the bus.  Gone today (or damn well should be).

In the immediacy before the kickoff, I was totally convinced the kicker would try to kick it down to the 5 year line.  I'm just a dumb fan but I understood the situation exactly.  Packers goal was to get the ball at the 25 with one free play before the 2 minute warning.

Frankly if Gutekunst doesn't dump him he'll lose respect of the team.  Also, I'd trade lazy Clinton-Dix for whatever they can get.  I saw enough during the last game last season against Detroit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:10:51 AM by jsglow »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #828 on: October 29, 2018, 09:07:47 AM »
Yes, at least a dozen players/coaches confirmed that was the instruction as well as one coach who was quoted as saying that Montgomery had been removed for some reason the previous drive and threw a hissyfit so this was him saying "I'm gonna do me".

Even if he doesn't fumble, it was galatically stupid because you get the ball at the 25 with 205 left if you kneel meaning you can do anything you want with the first play because you've got the 2 minute warning.

No way to prove it, but if Montgomery kneels the ball, the Packers win that game. Only needed a field goal and 2:05 and one TO is an eternity for Rodgers with the whole playbook available(including Aaron Jones).

Dude should have been left in LA. Crosby you stand-by because he's proven himself, Montgomery doesn't give you anything you have to have on the roster.

Interesting stuff.

The ESPN article is just fuzzy enough - with McCarthy saying both that Montgomery was supposed to take a knee, "but you also trust your players -- tough decisions, close decisions -- and like I said, I think Ty was just trying to make a play."

But if it was unquestionably the instruction and McCarthy was just being kind in the immediate post-game interview situation, then you simply can't keep this guy on the team.

We do need to remember that the Packers were still behind, and the Rams have a pretty good defense. As great as Rodgers is, he doesn't always lead the winning drive. I mean, the drive against the Bears never happens if the DB makes as routine an interception as there ever has been. Also, Crosby has been known to miss a kick. Nevertheless, had to be terribly disappointing for the Packers and their fans.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #829 on: October 29, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »

Exactly.  I have zero problem with a guy having a bad day like Mason did.  I'm not even critical of the fumble.  Crap happens. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #830 on: October 29, 2018, 09:11:54 AM »
This is a lot less fuzzy than the ESPN piece- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980254/article/rodgers-doesnt-get-chance-at-hollywood-ending

"Aaron was hot," said one Packers coach. "And he had a right to be. He yelled, 'Take a f------ knee!' He was very, very mad."

In the eyes of many of Rodgers' teammates, his ire was justifiable. According to more than a half-dozen Packers players and coaches who witnessed it, Montgomery had thrown a tantrum of his own on Green Bay's previous offensive series, becoming noticeably enraged on the sideline after being removed from the game. At least one player believed there was carryover from that incident to Montgomery's decision to disregard his coaches' instruction and return the kickoff.

"They took him out (the previous drive) for a play and he slammed his helmet and threw a fit," one Packers player said. "Then (before the kickoff) they told him to take a knee, and he ran it out anyway. You know what that was? That was him saying, 'I'm gonna do me.' It's a f----- joke.

"I mean, what the f--- are you doing? We've got Aaron Rodgers, the best I've ever seen, and you're gonna take that risk? I mean, it's '12'! All you gotta do is give him the ball, and you know what's gonna happen."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #831 on: October 29, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »
Interesting stuff.

The ESPN article is just fuzzy enough - with McCarthy saying both that Montgomery was supposed to take a knee, "but you also trust your players -- tough decisions, close decisions -- and like I said, I think Ty was just trying to make a play."

But if it was unquestionably the instruction and McCarthy was just being kind in the immediate post-game interview situation, then you simply can't keep this guy on the team.

We do need to remember that the Packers were still behind, and the Rams have a pretty good defense. As great as Rodgers is, he doesn't always lead the winning drive. I mean, the drive against the Bears never happens if the DB makes as routine an interception as there ever has been. Also, Crosby has been known to miss a kick. Nevertheless, had to be terribly disappointing for the Packers and their fans.

I think that Mac appropriately saying 'I have a boss and he makes these decisions.' (Even though Guty really isn't his boss but you get my meaning.)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #832 on: October 29, 2018, 09:15:04 AM »
This is a lot less fuzzy than the ESPN piece- http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000980254/article/rodgers-doesnt-get-chance-at-hollywood-ending

"Aaron was hot," said one Packers coach. "And he had a right to be. He yelled, 'Take a f------ knee!' He was very, very mad."

In the eyes of many of Rodgers' teammates, his ire was justifiable. According to more than a half-dozen Packers players and coaches who witnessed it, Montgomery had thrown a tantrum of his own on Green Bay's previous offensive series, becoming noticeably enraged on the sideline after being removed from the game. At least one player believed there was carryover from that incident to Montgomery's decision to disregard his coaches' instruction and return the kickoff.

"They took him out (the previous drive) for a play and he slammed his helmet and threw a fit," one Packers player said. "Then (before the kickoff) they told him to take a knee, and he ran it out anyway. You know what that was? That was him saying, 'I'm gonna do me.' It's a f----- joke.

"I mean, what the f--- are you doing? We've got Aaron Rodgers, the best I've ever seen, and you're gonna take that risk? I mean, it's '12'! All you gotta do is give him the ball, and you know what's gonna happen."

All you gotta do is give him the ball, and you know what's gonna happen.

Donald going through the line untouched for a sack? The ball thrown right to the DB, who unlike the Bear won't drop it?

Just funnin' ... I too couldn't believe Montgomery didn't take a knee, and I also thought - no, I totally expected - Rodgers to win the game for the Pack.

Thanks for the update with all the interesting stuff in your comment.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #833 on: October 29, 2018, 09:19:17 AM »

ARodg doesn't get personnel veto power but on this it should be close.  It is unacceptable not to give him a chance and 'do me'.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #834 on: October 29, 2018, 12:40:49 PM »
Holy crap. It's worse. Monty was told to 'take a knee' for the kickoff by the coaches, ran onto the field anyway, and subverted his team according to various players interviewed by jsonline.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #835 on: October 29, 2018, 12:43:53 PM »
Holy crap. It's worse. Monty was told to 'take a knee' for the kickoff by the coaches, ran onto the field anyway, and subverted his team according to various players interviewed by jsonline.

He gone.

Shame, I much preferred when Mac played Montgomery over Aaron Jones.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #836 on: October 29, 2018, 02:05:22 PM »
He gone.

Shame, I much preferred when Mac played Montgomery over Aaron Jones.

Aaron Jones may be one of the top backs in the league, but MM doesn't seem to like running the ball.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #837 on: October 29, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
There was a quip in the Packers twitter feed that Montgomery was cut and Kaepernick signed "because at least he knows how to take a knee".

Clarification for snowflake Jaybee: that is a joke, not a political statement.  You can refrain from alerting.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #838 on: October 29, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »
There was a quip in the Packers twitter feed that Montgomery was cut and Kaepernick signed "because at least he knows how to take a knee".

That's really funny.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #839 on: October 29, 2018, 03:57:54 PM »

Aaron Jones may be one of the top backs in the league, but MM doesn't seem to like running the ball.

but but but but....pass protection.....mumble mumble mumble....pass blocking........reasons
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #840 on: October 29, 2018, 04:43:01 PM »
Clarification for snowflake Jaybee: that is a joke, not a political statement.  You can refrain from alerting.

Name calling again? Heard you know how to take a knee, heyna??
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #841 on: October 29, 2018, 05:35:33 PM »
Back to your homophobic kick, eh Snowy?
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #842 on: October 29, 2018, 07:06:27 PM »
I’m not sure why Montgomery is still currently on the team.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #843 on: October 29, 2018, 07:10:43 PM »
Dorsey and Haslam not playing around.   Hue Jackson and Todd Haley gone.  I liked the Jackson hire a lot but his time in charge was a clown show.  Haley's offense was a stagnant joke the last few weeks.

My best friend is a big Browns fan.  He's ecstatic.  Sent me a link to a BR article basically saying this move had to be made to save Mayfield's development which I couldn't agree with more.  They have some nice pieces, he seems to have potential, don't let terrible coaching and management ruin that.  Dorsey is smarter than that.

Hot rumor I saw this morning, that had been mentioned weeks ago.  Urban Meyer to GB, McCarthey reunited with Dorsey in Cleveland, and Bob Stoops coming back home to Ohio to take over in Columbus.  Crazier things have happened.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #844 on: October 29, 2018, 07:59:01 PM »
Dorsey and Haslam not playing around.   Hue Jackson and Todd Haley gone.  I liked the Jackson hire a lot but his time in charge was a clown show.  Haley's offense was a stagnant joke the last few weeks.

My best friend is a big Browns fan.  He's ecstatic.  Sent me a link to a BR article basically saying this move had to be made to save Mayfield's development which I couldn't agree with more.  They have some nice pieces, he seems to have potential, don't let terrible coaching and management ruin that.  Dorsey is smarter than that.

Hot rumor I saw this morning, that had been mentioned weeks ago.  Urban Meyer to GB, McCarthey reunited with Dorsey in Cleveland, and Bob Stoops coming back home to Ohio to take over in Columbus.  Crazier things have happened.

McCarthy to Cleveland makes a ton of sense.  Familiar with Dorsey and a young QB to develop.

But I want nothing to do with Urban Meyer.
In addition to being a total jag bag, I don't think he translates to the NFL.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #845 on: October 29, 2018, 10:26:27 PM »
I think I'd take Lincoln Riley if I'm looking for a college coach to make the jump to the NFL.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #846 on: October 29, 2018, 10:47:35 PM »
There is a greater chance that the Packers hire Rick Pitino than hire Urban Meyer.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #847 on: October 30, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »

Is your source Big Cat from PMT?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #848 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:31 AM »

Would Urban Meyer even remember he coached for the Packers?

I highly doubt said rumor but you want to get me to quit the Packers and the NFL cold turkey, hiring Urbz will do it

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #849 on: October 30, 2018, 08:40:48 AM »
Is your source Big Cat from PMT?

Elevating Bob Wiley to HC.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

feedback