collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19  (Read 128019 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: NFC North / NFL Thread 2018-19
« Reply #575 on: September 25, 2018, 10:25:29 AM »
I hate to give this gasbag any airtime, but  Jerry Jones said the new emphasis on roughing the passer that bars a defender from landing with his full body weight on the quarterback has altered the game "as much as any one [rule] I have seen make a change from our past."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #576 on: September 25, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »
To confuse things just a bit more - NFL Network's Judy Battista reports several members of the Competition Committee are "uncomfortable with the roughing the passer calls" early in the season.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #577 on: September 25, 2018, 12:44:20 PM »
The plus side for the NFL is that no one is talking about Catch rules.

In the mind of the NFL, that's a win.
Reminds me of the Gilbert Gottfried video of no one talking about concussions because of kneeling. Win- win, hey?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:48:42 PM by Lighthouse 84 »
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #578 on: September 25, 2018, 02:19:44 PM »
Gruden was the worst.

I dig Booger's set-up but yeah that team is just not very good yet from what I've seen....but I'm also generally not watching nearly as much MNF as I use to so small sample size.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #579 on: September 25, 2018, 02:57:07 PM »
The Minnesota Vikings informed Everson Griffen and his agent last week that the star defensive end would not be allowed back with the team until he underwent a mental health evaluation, according to a police incident report obtained by ESPN's Courtney Cronin.

I would make a joke about what being a ViQueen does to your psyche, but we have too many tender souls here who would think I was making a serious social commentary about mental illness in general.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #580 on: September 25, 2018, 03:00:07 PM »
Probably should drop the “ViQueen” reference while you are at it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #581 on: September 25, 2018, 03:34:18 PM »
Obviously a lot of season left by hasn't been a great start for the Vikings.

Don't know a whole lot about the Vikings team makeup so I'm just kinda spitballing, but could the loss of someone like Brian Robison throw the locker room off that much? Remember seeing that him and Griffen.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #582 on: September 25, 2018, 03:39:52 PM »

Don't know a whole lot about the Vikings team makeup so I'm just kinda spitballing, but could the loss of someone like Brian Robison throw the locker room off that much? Remember seeing that him and Griffen.

Well, losing by 21 at home to the worst team in the NFL will drive some crazy!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #583 on: September 25, 2018, 04:22:06 PM »

Yeah it looks a little more serious than that.  And frankly it makes me wonder how much the team, and especially the defense was distracted last week.

https://deadspin.com/police-report-vikings-everson-griffen-jumped-out-of-an-1829304717

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #584 on: September 25, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
I would make a joke about what being a ViQueen does to your psyche

Careful, the mods might get bombarded with tears and crying over this type of evil hate speech, brandi.

#TheRighteousHypocrites

I kinda doubt Everson will be back this year. Very unfortunate - hope he can get things right mentally. Seemingly a great, but yikes. The Hotel where he went off is across the street from my place - super nice; can't imagine that playing out there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:51:28 PM by Jay Bee »
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #585 on: September 25, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »
The Minnesota Vikings informed Everson Griffen and his agent last week that the star defensive end would not be allowed back with the team until he underwent a mental health evaluation, according to a police incident report obtained by ESPN's Courtney Cronin.

I would make a joke about what being a ViQueen does to your psyche, but we have too many tender souls here who would think I was making a serious social commentary about mental illness in general.

“Tender souls”??   ‘Nuff said ::)
don't...don't don't don't don't

MU82

• All American
« Reply #586 on: September 27, 2018, 08:53:31 AM »
QBs might actually save the NFL from itself because more and more of them are saying that the ridiculous roughing-the-passer rules are hurting football.

The latest is Derek Carr:

"I wish the guy would have just landed on me instead of tearing his ACL," Carr said Wednesday, via Michael Gelhken of the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "For him to tear his ACL, nobody wants that. I don't want that."

He was talking about Dolphins DE Williams Hayes, who was fully aware of the league's emphasis on the rule when he sacked Carr in the second quarter. Hayes appeared to kick out his right leg to prevent landing on Carr, but the motion resulted in Hayes tearing an ACL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966859/article/carr-wishes-hayes-landed-on-him-instead-of-tearing-acl

Several connected NFL reporters say league honchos are listening and a change in the way the rule is enforced could come soon.

Not soon enough for Clay Matthews and the Packers, but here's hoping.

I know I could be swayed by "recency bias," but this seems like one of the biggest rules-related travesties in league history. Worse than the catch/no-catch deal, IMHO, because this goes to the very essence of football: See football, tackle guy with football.

It's not supposed to be: See football, make perfect fundamental tackle on guy with football, get penalized 15 yards.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #587 on: September 27, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
Very very proud of my Panthers today for signing Eric Reid, an All-Pro safety and patriotic American who had been blackballed by the NFL for having been an anthem-kneeler.

Our new owner, David Tepper, had said that he encouraged his players to be active in the community and to speak out against injustice, and he backed it up today.

The Panthers have injury problems in their defensive backfield, particularly at safety, and Reid was by far the best player available. They didn't let silliness and ignorance prevent them from improving their chances to make the playoffs and, ultimately, win the Super Bowl.

“Eric has been a starting safety in the NFL and has played at a high level throughout his career,” general manager Marty Hurney said. “After we put (safety) Da’Norris Searcy on injured reserve, Ron (Rivera) and I discussed our options, and Eric was at the top of our list. He is a physical safety with good ball skills and play-making ability.”

Bravo!

Putting a little bit of my money where my mouth is, I have bought tickets for my wife and I to attend another game this season.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #588 on: September 27, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
The Rams are fun.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #589 on: September 27, 2018, 10:33:12 PM »
Skol ! 

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #590 on: September 27, 2018, 10:48:13 PM »
Impressed with the Queens 'D'

MU82

• All American
« Reply #591 on: September 27, 2018, 11:07:23 PM »
Impressed with the Queens 'D'

Well, at least the Rams are good.

Compared to losing at home by 8,000 points to the worst team in the NFL, losing at the Rams by a TD is practically a win.

Skol!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »
Skol ! 
Just a pinch between your cheek and gums.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2018, 11:10:40 AM »
Very very proud of my Panthers today for signing Eric Reid, an All-Pro safety and patriotic American who had been blackballed by the NFL for having been an anthem-kneeler.

Our new owner, David Tepper, had said that he encouraged his players to be active in the community and to speak out against injustice, and he backed it up today.

The Panthers have injury problems in their defensive backfield, particularly at safety, and Reid was by far the best player available. They didn't let silliness and ignorance prevent them from improving their chances to make the playoffs and, ultimately, win the Super Bowl.

“Eric has been a starting safety in the NFL and has played at a high level throughout his career,” general manager Marty Hurney said. “After we put (safety) Da’Norris Searcy on injured reserve, Ron (Rivera) and I discussed our options, and Eric was at the top of our list. He is a physical safety with good ball skills and play-making ability.”

Bravo!

Putting a little bit of my money where my mouth is, I have bought tickets for my wife and I to attend another game this season.

I think the whole anthem protest thing has pretty much blown over.  The amount of outrage over Kaep and Nike was pretty brief and pretty tame.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #594 on: September 28, 2018, 11:22:24 AM »

Bravo!

Curious to see where this puts the collusion lawsuit that Reid is part of. Don't think the NFL can point at him finally getting a contract as proof there wasn't collusion prior but what do I know, I don't even stay at Holiday Inn Expresses enough to even pretend to be a legal scholar let alone be one.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #595 on: September 28, 2018, 12:37:34 PM »
Curious to see where this puts the collusion lawsuit that Reid is part of. Don't think the NFL can point at him finally getting a contract as proof there wasn't collusion prior but what do I know, I don't even stay at Holiday Inn Expresses enough to even pretend to be a legal scholar let alone be one.

Was mostly glossed over in the couple articles I read. They said the collusion case was ongoing but didn't know how this would impact it.

I think the whole anthem protest thing has pretty much blown over.  The amount of outrage over Kaep and Nike was pretty brief and pretty tame.

Agreed. Nike actually has increased sales and its stock price hit an all-time high.

We'll see if the world's most famous rejected NFL owner will be able to resist taking a shot at some athletes whose color he doesn't like at some point this season. He's a little busy these days.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #596 on: September 28, 2018, 01:51:02 PM »
Was mostly glossed over in the couple articles I read. They said the collusion case was ongoing but didn't know how this would impact it.

We'll see if the world's most famous rejected NFL owner will be able to resist taking a shot at some athletes whose color he doesn't like at some point this season. He's a little busy these days.

-redacted.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 02:03:47 PM by MU B2002 »
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #597 on: September 28, 2018, 03:19:06 PM »
Same ol' board, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #598 on: September 28, 2018, 10:25:58 PM »

Another relapse, eh Mike? Addiction's no joke - take comfort that you're in our thoughts and prayers!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 11:34:21 PM by Lennys Tap »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #599 on: September 28, 2018, 10:55:41 PM »
Another relapse, eh Mike? Addiction's no joke - take comfort that your in our thoughts and prayers!

No habla prayers. Thanks for the thoughts, though ... can always use some of those.

feedback