Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mack to Louisville?  (Read 58093 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Mack to Louisville?
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2018, 12:56:40 PM »
Also, if you're Xavier, why would you even attempt to match what UL is offering?  Sure, give the guy a raise, but they know they have a solid program.  They have options available to them.  The program is bigger than Mack.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
Why do you assume that? Mack will get paid either way.

What's the difference between the offers? Would be a shame if it was only a few $100k. It's his alma mater, can't do 'em dirty like that. Couple mil and that changes the equation a bit

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2018, 01:06:36 PM »
Tweet reply, trumping dickie...

I can say for 100 percent certainty that Chris Mack isn't in Louisville right now and won't be in Louisville this afternoon. Deal close, but not totally finished as of 1 p.m.
https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/978681031384543232

nyg

• All American
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
X loses Macura, Blueitt, Kantor and O'Mara.  Big, big losses.  If they go outside the X family and don't promote Steele, their  first assistant, would that relate to any leftover players considering leaving.  Almost all programs see that happen, new coach comes in, not familiar with, etc.,  players leave.

With the above players who have left, X cannot afford to have players like Scruggs and Marshal leave. Big decision time for X.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
Surprised and bummed that it appears Mack is leaving.  Big blow to the Big East, IMHO.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2018, 01:24:29 PM »
What's the difference between the offers? Would be a shame if it was only a few $100k. It's his alma mater, can't do 'em dirty like that. Couple mil and that changes the equation a bit

Rumors are $4M and he is making $1.7M.  Again if you are X, do you break the bank for him?  Or do you feel confident enough in your program that you can make a good hire.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2018, 01:30:49 PM »
X loses Macura, Blueitt, Kantor and O'Mara.  Big, big losses.  If they go outside the X family and don't promote Steele, their  first assistant, would that relate to any leftover players considering leaving.  Almost all programs see that happen, new coach comes in, not familiar with, etc.,  players leave.

With the above players who have left, X cannot afford to have players like Scruggs and Marshal leave. Big decision time for X.
Big decision time yes. But if they won't break the bank to keep Mack (right move IMO) and show that the program is bigger than one person, the threat of players transferring won't force them into promoting an assistant.  They were gonna take a step back next year anyways with the 4 Seniors.  I'd go for an outside hire and risk facing more of a rebuild with a higher ceiling. Also Steele may not even want to be a HC, or Mack may take him with to Louisville.  Players would leave, but the program would still be strong. Same thing happened when Matta and Miller left.  Seems kinda like a stepping stone program hey?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »
Call me soft, but I hope he stays. Plus, we need a strong X in the BE and with coaching changes nothing is guaranteed. Honestly, I am completely shocked X has kept it together for so long. X, Creighton and Butler need to remain top 40 programs, IMO for BE to remain big league conference.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2018, 01:34:02 PM »

Rumors are $4M and he is making $1.7M.  Again if you are X, do you break the bank for him?  Or do you feel confident enough in your program that you can make a good hire.

Wow, 4M???  Bye Bye.....

ASMU

• Walk-On
« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2018, 01:35:16 PM »
Butler - while not having reached the extreme high of back-to-back title games - has remained solid post-Stevens. No reason Xavier couldn't follow a similar path; top Ast or small conf coach ready for next step.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2018, 01:38:43 PM »
Butler - while not having reached the extreme high of back-to-back title games - has remained solid post-Stevens. No reason Xavier couldn't follow a similar path; top Ast or small conf coach ready for next step.

If Moser goes there and Custer follows I might lose my gotdam mind

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2018, 01:40:32 PM »
Call me soft, but I hope he stays. Plus, we need a strong X in the BE and with coaching changes nothing is guaranteed. Honestly, I am completely shocked X has kept it together for so long. X, Creighton and Butler need to remain top 40 programs, IMO for BE to remain big league conference.
X has a pretty strong reputation for making the right hire if he does leave. 

Agree that the conference needs to be more than just Nova to remain a power conference, but I don't think it matters which teams are in the top 40 as long as the conference has 4-5 of them.  SH will drop out of that category next year, but MU will be stronger.  If Butler drop off, the conference would still be strong if Gtown can return to relevance.  If by some miracle DePaul has a turnaround, that could offset a drop-off in a program like CU or X.  It doesn't matter who the teams are as long as the conference has a legit F4 contender, and continues to average 5+ bids per year.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2018, 01:41:06 PM »

I've mentioned it before, but current Winthrop HC Pat Kelsey make a ton of sense.  Played for Xavier and was Mack's top assistant. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
Wow, 4M???  Bye Bye.....
Yep, hard to turn down for a family with 3 younger children.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2018, 01:42:08 PM »
Also, if you're Xavier, why would you even attempt to match what UL is offering?  Sure, give the guy a raise, but they know they have a solid program.  They have options available to them.  The program is bigger than Mack.

We know we have a solid program also, so what. Coaching hires are always tricky. Mack has been underpaid relative to his peers with successful tenures.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »

Yeah I'd let him walk

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2018, 01:52:05 PM »
Rick Pitino is available.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
Yep, hard to turn down for a family with 3 younger children.

I hate this logic.  Raising three young children on $1.7 million or $4 million/year is equally simple.  Both are far more than anyone needs to live a decent life and raise three or even six children.  But would most people like to make $4 million instead of $1.7 million?  Sure, because its more.  Your needs have very little to do with that choice.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:11:34 PM by MomofMUltiples »
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 02:02:40 PM by Oldgym »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
Surprised and bummed that it appears Mack is leaving.  Big blow to the Big East, IMHO.

I thought the same when Stevens left Butler.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »
I hate this logic.  Raising three young children on $1.7 million or $4 million/year are equally simple.  Both are far more than anyone needs to live a decent life and raise three or even six children.  But would most people like to make $4 million instead of $1.7 million?  Sure, because its more.  Your needs have very little to do with that choice.
Not about needs as they are obviously well taken care of at $1.7 MM.  It’s more about security and the future.  In any event hard to turn down when the job itself is really the same.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #96 on: March 27, 2018, 02:24:21 PM »
Like it or not, the guy has to take the money. I will say it definitely shows that Louisville still believes they are a basketball school. I am very, very impressed that Louisville can get this type of hire under the circumstances.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #97 on: March 27, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
He gowne, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #98 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:17 PM »
Not about needs as they are obviously well taken care of at $1.7 MM.  It’s more about security and the future.  In any event hard to turn down when the job itself is really the same.

Not buying that either.  Together, my husband and I make a very comfortable (but less than the 1%) combined income and it would take us several years to bring in $1.7 mil.  Yet we have somehow managed to put all our kids through college with 0 borrowing and have a mid-7 figure retirement account.  And I still think my kids are spoiled rotten!

When there are people out there struggling to make a living wage, I don't want to hear about security and future as a reason for a guy to take a that kind of pay increase when he already has plenty.  He can be a basketball coach for a long time.  Agree it's gonna set him and his family up, but his security and future are already very well off.

That said, I don't begrudge him taking the job for that salary.  Maybe he sees navigating the whole FBI/NCAA thing as a challenge.  Maybe he doesn't think Xavier can get to the next level.  For whatever reason, a formidable opposing coach has left the Big East.  More room for Marquette to move up!
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #99 on: March 27, 2018, 02:31:44 PM »
Not buying that either.  Together, my husband and I make a very comfortable (but less than the 1%) combined income and it would take us several years to bring in $1.7 mil.  Yet we have somehow managed to put all our kids through college with 0 borrowing and have a mid-7 figure retirement account.  And I still think my kids are spoiled rotten!

When there are people out there struggling to make a living wage, I don't want to hear about security and future as a reason for a guy to take a that kind of pay increase when he already has plenty.  He can be a basketball coach for a long time.  Agree it's gonna set him and his family up, but his security and future are already very well off.

That said, I don't begrudge him taking the job for that salary.  Maybe he sees navigating the whole FBI/NCAA thing as a challenge.  Maybe he doesn't think Xavier can get to the next level.  For whatever reason, a formidable opposing coach has left the Big East.  More room for Marquette to move up!

Kind of sounds like you begrudge him......lol

Relax......security is all a relative concept......it's a smart move to more then double your salary ......call it whatever you want......who cares?

feedback