[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mack to Louisville?  (Read 57388 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: Mack to Louisville?
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:49 AM »
If we had a team seeded #1 in the NCAA and eliminated in the 2nd round I can just hear the howls here on Scoop......

Fire Him!

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2018, 08:36:26 AM »
The Xavier team that was a 1 seed and won the Big East regular season championship?     That has had a run of sustained excellence second only to Villanova's since they they joined the Big East.    There are much better coaches available?!?!?    If they are available, why isn't Louisville going after THEM first?      So.    Much.    Wrong.   

Yeah.

A bad coach doesn't win 68% of his games. A bad coach doesn't finish in the top 3 of the BE 3 times in the past 5 years. A bad coach doesn't get to the NCAAs 8 times in 9 seasons as a head coach.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »
*whoosh*

Pretty sure he knew exactly what you were doing, and played along.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2018, 08:51:50 AM »
If Mack does go, would that pretty much guarantee getting Louisville in the first game in the NIT next year?  They would still try to make a Kansas Louisville final, because it would draw the most viewers, but for the first games I would think they go for the better story.  Two former rivals that have a history of playing exciting games, used to play in the same conference and now throw in the Mack to ACC thing.  That makes a much better story that MU vs Tenn

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
I could not disagree with this more. His teams are punks and he never holds his players accountable for their actions.

Amen.  Dislike Mack a great deal.  "Attitude reflects leadership."

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »
Porter Moser to Xavier, Custer2MU?

Nope.

Porter Moser to Xavier, Custer to Xavier in that scenario.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2018, 09:27:23 AM »
The Xavier team that was a 1 seed and won the Big East regular season championship?     That has had a run of sustained excellence second only to Villanova's since they they joined the Big East.    There are much better coaches available?!?!?    If they are available, why isn't Louisville going after THEM first?      So.    Much.    Wrong.   

Exactly

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2018, 09:46:58 AM »
If Mack does go, would that pretty much guarantee getting Louisville in the first game in the NIT next year?  They would still try to make a Kansas Louisville final, because it would draw the most viewers, but for the first games I would think they go for the better story.  Two former rivals that have a history of playing exciting games, used to play in the same conference and now throw in the Mack to ACC thing.  That makes a much better story that MU vs Tenn

Tennessee was a 3 seed this year and returns almost everyone.  Kansas vs Tennessee would feature two ranked teams so that is the top title game choice. Kansas vs Louisville features the two biggest names so that is still a strong 2nd.

My guess: Marquette vs Kansas and Louisville vs Tennessee

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2018, 09:50:52 AM »
Tennessee was a 3 seed this year and returns almost everyone.  Kansas vs Tennessee would feature two ranked teams so that is the top title game choice. Kansas vs Louisville features the two biggest names so that is still a strong 2nd.

My guess: Marquette vs Kansas and Louisville vs Tennessee
Anyone know when these sort of things are announced?  Does it come out with the rest of the non-conference, or does it get announced earlier because its high profile and at MSG?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:31 AM »
Anyone know when these sort of things are announced?  Does it come out with the rest of the non-conference, or does it get announced earlier because its high profile and at MSG?

The Maui match ups were announced in July last year.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 10:19:29 AM »

Isn't the preseason NIT in Brooklyn now?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 10:25:58 AM »
Isn't the preseason NIT in Brooklyn now?
Yep, my mistake

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 10:35:54 AM »
Nope.

Porter Moser to Xavier, Custer to Xavier in that scenario.

Porter Moser to Pitt, Custer2MU?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:52 AM »
Yup. I'm actually surprised UL is that interested considering this. Figured they would want a squeaky guy.

Zip 'em up.
Hiring a coach linked to the FBI probe their school is already entrenched in would be an interesting move.  But then again it doesn't seem like Louisville gives a f*ck.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:43 PM »
Sounding like a #donedeal.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
is there an XU Scoop equivalent anyone can link to?

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2018, 12:37:00 PM »
I guess this is just another reminder that it is always about the benjamins.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2018, 12:39:57 PM »
No Finish Line

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2018, 12:43:04 PM »
I though this was an interesting take:

"Interesting how you claim certain coaches I brought up to prove your "Only 6 destination jobs" theory is not accurate are somehow deemed irrelevant by you because they have retired... and yet at the same time you forgot to bring up the two active coaches I've mentioned (Few and Wright) who also poke holes in your 6 destination jobs theory.

Second, I never made the point "Mack Is the Xavier brand." I said the perception is different if he leaves compared to any of the previous X coaches who were brought up... coaches who were neither Xavier graduates nor Xavier players. Mack claimed this was his dream job.

If Mack leaves his alma mater for a university with which he has no affiliation... one that engages in unethical and illegal practices just to get ahead... it would be a shame and it would create the perception that even one of Xavier's own thinks being the coach at Louisville with its tarnished reputation is a better gig than being the coach at his own distinguished alma mater... which proved finishing ranked in the top 5 is possible, winnning the BE tournament regular season title is possible, becoming a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament is possible and landing a top 15 ranked class of recruits is possible).

I am simply saying that if Mack leaves, the perceived status and reputation of X will take a hit (at least temporarily). Maybe it won't be a big hit, but it will change - even if in a small way - how recruits and outsiders and college applicants and even Xavier students and alumni perceive the program and the school. The perception will be that X is not even a destination job for an alumnus. Yet, if Mack stays (and says no to Louisville), Xavier's status and reputation gets a bump (again if only temporarily) and it would create a perception that Xavier has enough of everything a coach needs to be happy and succeed and therefore make it a destination job.

I hope Mack stays, but I also believe a new coach can continue to elevate the program to a higher status should he leave. History has proven as much. But staying makes Mack a hero of sorts... a champion of loyalty... a man perceived as doing a selfless act that would benefit the greater good of others including his alma mater and his community - while at the same time allowing him and his family to stay where they are and live a rich life (figurative and literally) amongst those he cares about and who care for him.

If Mack leaves X and the $3 million a year behind... it suggssts that MFing big cheaters still win in today's world over the small guys who do things the right way...sending the message that big tainted money talks and loyalty walks... right out the door."
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »
is there an XU Scoop equivalent anyone can link to?

There's already a 30+ page thread about who their next head coach should be....

http://www.xavierhoops.com/forumdisplay.php?54-Men-s-Basketball

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
I though this was an interesting take:

"Interesting how you claim certain coaches I brought up to prove your "Only 6 destination jobs" theory is not accurate are somehow deemed irrelevant by you because they have retired... and yet at the same time you forgot to bring up the two active coaches I've mentioned (Few and Wright) who also poke holes in your 6 destination jobs theory.

Second, I never made the point "Mack Is the Xavier brand." I said the perception is different if he leaves compared to any of the previous X coaches who were brought up... coaches who were neither Xavier graduates nor Xavier players. Mack claimed this was his dream job.

If Mack leaves his alma mater for a university with which he has no affiliation... one that engages in unethical and illegal practices just to get ahead... it would be a shame and it would create the perception that even one of Xavier's own thinks being the coach at Louisville with its tarnished reputation is a better gig than being the coach at his own distinguished alma mater... which proved finishing ranked in the top 5 is possible, winnning the BE tournament regular season title is possible, becoming a #1 seed in the NCAA tournament is possible and landing a top 15 ranked class of recruits is possible).

I am simply saying that if Mack leaves, the perceived status and reputation of X will take a hit (at least temporarily). Maybe it won't be a big hit, but it will change - even if in a small way - how recruits and outsiders and college applicants and even Xavier students and alumni perceive the program and the school. The perception will be that X is not even a destination job for an alumnus. Yet, if Mack stays (and says no to Louisville), Xavier's status and reputation gets a bump (again if only temporarily) and it would create a perception that Xavier has enough of everything a coach needs to be happy and succeed and therefore make it a destination job.

I hope Mack stays, but I also believe a new coach can continue to elevate the program to a higher status should he leave. History has proven as much. But staying makes Mack a hero of sorts... a champion of loyalty... a man perceived as doing a selfless act that would benefit the greater good of others including his alma mater and his community - while at the same time allowing him and his family to stay where they are and live a rich life (figurative and literally) amongst those he cares about and who care for him.

If Mack leaves X and the $3 million a year behind... it suggssts that MFing big cheaters still win in today's world over the small guys who do things the right way...sending the message that big tainted money talks and loyalty walks... right out the door."

Money and years.  That will tell the tale.  Its not about how much someone can succeed, its about dollars and common sense.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2018, 12:48:39 PM »
Most interesting thing about what this move says is the (lack of) penalties coming down the pike for Lville
No Finish Line

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2018, 12:48:59 PM »
Mack the Knife, hey?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2018, 12:53:28 PM »
Most interesting thing about what this move says is the (lack of) penalties coming down the pike for Lville
Why do you assume that? Mack will get paid either way.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2018, 12:55:02 PM »

Unless the contract accounts for that possibility.  (Extension of years, increase in UL's buy-out, etc.)