[Today at 02:20:46 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MUbiz
[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Mack to Louisville?  (Read 57377 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: Mack to Louisville?
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2018, 09:16:19 PM »
I could not disagree with this more. His teams are punks and he never holds his players accountable for their actions.

Yes but if you use the Brad Stevens to Mick Cronin to Jim Boeheim scale, he comes out looking pretty good

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:12 PM »
Yes but if you use the Brad Stevens to Mick Cronin to Jim Boeheim scale, he comes out looking pretty good

I'd say he and Cronin are perfect for the city of Cincinnati.

JustinLewisFanClubPres

• Starter
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 09:23:49 PM »
I’ve never had that impression of Xavier.

He never really took responsibility for his players part in the brawl with Cincy.  He then threw Lance Stephenson under the bus while claiming to take the high road after the cronin-macura kerfuffle this year. After the 1st round in the BET this year, he played the victim after some post game trash talk with his team and St. John's. It was clear that several players on his team jumped in to make the situation worse rather than letting their play on the court speak for itself.

Clearly, I'm not a fan.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2018, 09:53:12 PM »
Xavier is interesting. They have had a few Title IX type issues with their players. They always seem to handle it appropriately once it comes to light....but it raises the question if some of these issues were known prior to recruitment. And we also don't know how long the issue was present before it came to light. Couple that with the Cincy Brawl (I thought Cronin handled it a lot better than Mack did) and Mack's name coming up in the FBI investigation....I wouldn't call him a clean coach. I'd put him a lot closer to Larry Brown than Brad Stevens.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2018, 09:53:36 PM »

Because he wants to try something different?  Because they are going to pay him more?

It really isn't inconceivable.

This. Of course.

We actually had this discussion in a different thread a few days ago.

Believe it or not, some people actually like to try something new, they want a different challenge, etc.

I'm not talking to you, sultan, because I know you believe it. But for others ... it's quite conceivable. And understandable. And even normal.

And sure, the money almost certainly would be more ... but so would the pressure. That's what Mack would have to balance.

There's no "wrong" answer here, IMHO.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2018, 09:56:39 PM »
Get the money Mack

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2018, 10:23:11 PM »
I could not disagree with this more. His teams are punks and he never holds his players accountable for their actions.

X has qwickly become my least liked BE team. 
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2018, 10:40:42 PM »
If you want to be a big time program you gotta be willing to put up $3MM a year for your coach.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:00 PM »
Mack going to Louisville would be dumb and dangerous

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 11:32:00 PM »
Good for him for at least getting a chance. It'll be interesting to see if there is true interest, or if he's just positioning for more money.

If I was a big-time coach and had the chance to coach at MU for $1 million-plus, it would take an absolutely obscene amount of money to get me to leave for another school. Like Bill Gates kinda money. Hell, I'd probably have a hard time truly believing they were actually going to let me get a seat on the bench...for free.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »
I'd be in favor of it, only because it is likely to allow Xavier to take a step back and give us an opportunity to return to the top of the conference again.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 11:51:33 PM »

Pretty sure he knows all the risks.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 11:54:09 PM »

8-)

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2018, 12:05:52 AM »
Pretty sure he knows all the risks.

*whoosh*

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2018, 01:27:22 AM »
It may actually be attractive to Mack that Louisville has problems with the NCAA.  He can demand a longer deal and will be given the cushion time to build program again while they serve penalty.

If they throw big money at him the way Ohio State did for Holtman he will go.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2018, 05:19:10 AM »
I’ve never had that impression of Xavier.

Reaaaaaaaaaaaally?

They've been borderline UC style punks for years.  Fights, aggressive players, and low sportsmanship.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:49 AM »
Reaaaaaaaaaaaally?

They've been borderline UC style punks for years.  Fights, aggressive players, and low sportsmanship.

Yup. I'm actually surprised UL is that interested considering this. Figured they would want a squeaky guy.

Zip 'em up.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2018, 07:29:35 AM »
So when Mack gets a pay raise of $1.5-3M for his “new challenge”, I for one will certainly believe it was not about the $, and all about the challenge.
It’s funny that these coaches rarely seek “new challenges” that pay less than their current situation.
But, I guess some still believe athletes/coaches when they say it’s not about the $. Unless, of course, the FBI is on the phone—then it maybe too hot in the kitchen.

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2018, 07:32:59 AM »
It’s funny that these coaches rarely seek “new challenges” that pay less than their current situation.

That’s typically true for most people.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2018, 07:33:10 AM »
So when Mack gets a pay raise of $1.5-3M for his “new challenge”, I for one will certainly believe it was not about the $, and all about the challenge.
But, I guess some still believe athletes/coaches when they say it’s not about the $. Unless, of course, the FBI is on the phone—then it maybe too hot in the kitchen.

Oh of course its about the money.  But I think most people, including coaches, who are compensated well don't go around looking at jobs if they are comfortable where they are.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2018, 07:38:33 AM »
Mack's gonna stay as long as dale have 'im, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2018, 07:42:32 AM »
So he goes... he gets more money but he also gets 3-4 years (5 according to some scoopers) with low expectations while he builds a program.

I personally don't think he's a good coach and wonder how he recruits, so my fear is that X finds a much better coach - they are definitely available - and becomes a top level threat in the BEAST every year whereas I don't think Mack can keep them at the top. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2018, 07:44:11 AM »
Like Buzz, he knows the ACC is where it's at

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »
So he goes... he gets more money but he also gets 3-4 years (5 according to some scoopers) with low expectations while he builds a program.

I personally don't think he's a good coach and wonder how he recruits, so my fear is that X finds a much better coach - they are definitely available - and becomes a top level threat in the BEAST every year whereas I don't think Mack can keep them at the top.

What?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2018, 08:27:57 AM »

The Xavier team that was a 1 seed and won the Big East regular season championship?     That has had a run of sustained excellence second only to Villanova's since they they joined the Big East.    There are much better coaches available?!?!?    If they are available, why isn't Louisville going after THEM first?      So.    Much.    Wrong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback