collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384490 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2900 on: June 27, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »
Nice summary by a Raleigh columnist on the NC State baseball situation:

The NFL at large figured this out a while ago, if not Sam Darnold: getting your whole team vaccinated is a competitive advantage. In any pro or NCAA sport, getting vaccinated not only restores quality of life, but also buys your way out of most, if not all, protocols if there is a positive test.

Yes, not getting vaccinated against COVID-19 may be a personal choice, but it unquestionably affects others, and you may face discrete and significant consequences for that choice.

N.C. State found that out the hard way. It cost the team a shot at a national title.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2901 on: June 27, 2021, 10:47:55 AM »

The NFL at large figured this out a while ago, if not Sam Darnold: getting your whole team vaccinated is a competitive advantage. In any pro or NCAA sport, getting vaccinated not only restores quality of life, but also buys your way out of most, if not all, protocols if there is a positive test.

Yes, not getting vaccinated against COVID-19 may be a personal choice, but it unquestionably affects others, and you may face discrete and significant consequences for that choice.

N.C. State found that out the hard way. It cost the team a shot at a national title.

“May” have cost them a shot at a National Title.

Technically, it cost them a shot at the semifinals playing against a better seeded team. They would not have been favored in the semifinals or finals if they made that too. Sure, they had a chance to win both. So did the other teams.

I agree with the rest, and, having full teams vaccinated is what some other teams did first chance they were able to do it. Their opponent lost their best player to COVID-19 a little while, earlier in the season. They had their team vaccinated when it became available. That team is also missing 4 pitchers with year ending injury, and they are missing two field position starters with injury. (But you aren’t going to hear much about that with this weekend’s story line) Had they played, they wouldn’t have been the only team with adversity. But they had a good team they made a strong run later in the season and into the postseason.

This is NC State’s coach calling COVID-19 “The Bug,” and it gives an example of how their team leaders treated the situation:

https://twitter.com/dylannm17/status/1408866792278200326?s=21

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 10:49:48 AM by shoothoops »

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2902 on: June 27, 2021, 10:54:52 AM »

Weren’t the majority of the players who tested positive already vaccinated?

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2903 on: June 27, 2021, 11:38:39 AM »

Unvaccinated NC State players contracted COVID-19 and transmitted it to other NC State players. Had NC State had their team get vaccinated long ago, similar to some other teams, they wouldn’t be in this position.

This was caused by unvaccinated players on their team.

Also, if you watch the brief video posted above, their coach discusses some of the several players and coaches on their team that have had symptoms.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2904 on: June 27, 2021, 09:15:43 PM »

You’re fun.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2905 on: June 27, 2021, 09:19:49 PM »
You’re fun.

He’s making a good point. No need to test asymptotic close contacts. Follow the science.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2906 on: June 27, 2021, 10:47:04 PM »
You’re fun.

It was an accurate statement.  4 of the 6 who tested positive were vaccinated from what I’ve read at least. 

To me it would of made a lot more sense to sit the 2 unvaccinated positive players and let the show go on.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2907 on: June 27, 2021, 11:12:07 PM »
It was an accurate statement.  4 of the 6 who tested positive were vaccinated from what I’ve read at least. 

To me it would of made a lot more sense to sit the 2 unvaccinated positive players and let the show go on.

No. Your statement was inaccurate.

4 unvaccinated players tested positive and all four had symptoms. And, the number of positives was growing past 8. Other players also had symptoms, including before Monday’s game and throughout the week.

NC State tried to change the testing process throughout the week. They also tried to reschedule Friday’s game by pushing it back to Saturday as a doubleheader. NCAA said no.

https://d1baseball.com/analysis/nc-states-cws-removal-the-timeline-of-events/

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2908 on: June 27, 2021, 11:19:00 PM »
No. Your statement was inaccurate.

4 unvaccinated players tested positive and all four had symptoms. And, the number of positives was growing past 8. Other players also had symptoms, including before Monday’s game and throughout the week.

NC State tried to change the testing process throughout the week. They also tried to reschedule Friday’s game by pushing it back to Saturday as a doubleheader. NCAA said no.

https://d1baseball.com/analysis/nc-states-cws-removal-the-timeline-of-events/

Thanks for correction.  4 were vaccinated, 4 were not.  So instead of removing the 2 unvaccinated positive players remove the 4 and play on.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2909 on: June 27, 2021, 11:45:38 PM »
Thanks for correction.  4 were vaccinated, 4 were not.  So instead of removing the 2 unvaccinated positive players remove the 4 and play on.

No.

Two NC State player roommates were unvaccinated. Both tested positive, one on Tuesday (the day after their Monday game) the other later in the week. Two additional unvaccinated players tested positive Friday. The numbers of unvaccinated positives were growing. And, earlier in the CWS, their coach referenced additional players that also had symptoms, both before, and during the CWS.

NC State had a chance to have their entire team, coaches, travel party vaccinated long ago, similar to other teams, and didn’t.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 11:47:52 PM by shoothoops »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2910 on: June 28, 2021, 07:01:50 AM »
He’s making a good point. No need to test asymptotic close contacts. Follow the science.

His point was inaccurate. He desperately wants to believe and promote stuff to support "his side." He often uses factually incorrect data. Then, even when proven incorrect, he shrugs and says, "Well, do it anyway."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2911 on: June 28, 2021, 07:02:58 AM »
His point was inaccurate. He desperately wants to believe and promote stuff to support "his side." He often uses factually incorrect data. Then, even when proven incorrect, he shrugs and says, "Well, do it anyway."

How ironic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2912 on: June 28, 2021, 07:06:48 AM »
Areas with low vaccination rates are seeing upticks on COVID-19. It's not "done."

From the NYT:

One likely explanation is that vaccination rates have risen high enough in some communities to crush the spread of Covid. In the spring, these places were still coping with significant outbreaks, but they aren’t anymore.

In Marin County, just over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, for instance, more than 90 percent of people aged 12 and above have received at least one shot. As a result, Marin has virtually extinguished the virus, with only three new confirmed cases per day in recent weeks.

A second explanation for the new divergence between more and less vaccinated places is the Delta variant. It appears to be making vaccination even more valuable. The vaccines are effective against Delta, sharply reducing the chances of infection and nearly eliminating any chance of serious illness. For unvaccinated people, however, Delta is significantly more contagious than earlier variants.

Missouri offers the clearest example. Over the past week, it has reported more new Covid cases per capita than any other state, and they are concentrated in rural areas that have low vaccination rates, as Charles Gaba, a health care analyst, has noted. In the parts of the state with high vaccination rates — like the metro areas of Kansas City, St. Louis and Columbia — the number of new cases remains very low.

Get the effen shot.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2913 on: June 28, 2021, 07:17:28 AM »
No.

Two NC State player roommates were unvaccinated. Both tested positive, one on Tuesday (the day after their Monday game) the other later in the week. Two additional unvaccinated players tested positive Friday. The numbers of unvaccinated positives were growing. And, earlier in the CWS, their coach referenced additional players that also had symptoms, both before, and during the CWS.

NC State had a chance to have their entire team, coaches, travel party vaccinated long ago, similar to other teams, and didn’t.

The link you provided literally said there were 8 positive tests….4 vaccinated and 4 unvaccinated, not sure what’s so controversial about that.

And that after the first couple positive tests came through NCAA allowed NC State to play Vandy with their vaccinated players who tested negative, there were 17 of them I believe who were able to play.  My argument is they should have been able to continue to play that way, with their vaccinated players.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2914 on: June 28, 2021, 07:19:31 AM »

Only if you view literally anything and everything as having partisan sides could you believe this.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2915 on: June 28, 2021, 07:38:39 AM »
Areas with low vaccination rates are seeing upticks on COVID-19. It's not "done."

From the NYT:

One likely explanation is that vaccination rates have risen high enough in some communities to crush the spread of Covid. In the spring, these places were still coping with significant outbreaks, but they aren’t anymore.

In Marin County, just over the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, for instance, more than 90 percent of people aged 12 and above have received at least one shot. As a result, Marin has virtually extinguished the virus, with only three new confirmed cases per day in recent weeks.

A second explanation for the new divergence between more and less vaccinated places is the Delta variant. It appears to be making vaccination even more valuable. The vaccines are effective against Delta, sharply reducing the chances of infection and nearly eliminating any chance of serious illness. For unvaccinated people, however, Delta is significantly more contagious than earlier variants.

Missouri offers the clearest example. Over the past week, it has reported more new Covid cases per capita than any other state, and they are concentrated in rural areas that have low vaccination rates, as Charles Gaba, a health care analyst, has noted. In the parts of the state with high vaccination rates — like the metro areas of Kansas City, St. Louis and Columbia — the number of new cases remains very low.

Get the effen shot.

Yep. there is a big difference between KC, Columbia, St. Louis, and, the rest of Missouri. The new strain is prominent in Southwest Missouri (Springfield is the largest city) Ozarks, Branson, Arkansas, and all rural areas outside of there. And Northwest Missouri near Nebraska, Iowa etc…rural Kansas is also a problem. The Mountain West is also struggling with it.

The Governor of Missouri never issued a mask mandate but local major metros did quickly during the pandemic. (Example: St. Louis County Executive is an Anesthesiologist by trade).

This can be said in many major metros. There is a big difference between Washington D.C. and 35 miles away in Loudon, VA or wherever.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2916 on: June 28, 2021, 07:49:38 AM »
Only if you view literally anything and everything as having partisan sides could you believe this.

No, it's impossible to tell if you're posting dumb stuff because you believe it or because you're trolling. He's just one of the last willing to respond to the dumb stuff.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2917 on: June 28, 2021, 08:23:31 AM »
No, it's impossible to tell if you're posting dumb stuff because you believe it or because you're trolling. He's just one of the last willing to respond to the dumb stuff.

Guilty. And you’re right, it’s not worth it.

Time to go golfin’!

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #2918 on: June 28, 2021, 10:03:52 AM »

Pointing out 4 of the 8 were vaccinated is dumb stuff?  Okay dokie

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2919 on: June 30, 2021, 11:41:35 AM »
Perfect. Another d-bag comparing vaccine mandates to being like a European Jew during the Holocaust.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/washington-lawmaker-star-david-holocaust-mask-mandate

A Washington lawmaker wore a yellow Star of David, a symbol Nazis forced upon Jews as an identification marker throughout the Holocaust, during a speech in which he railed against vaccine mandates.

State Rep. Jim Walsh, a Republican, placed the star on his shirt as he addressed a crowd of conservative activists at a church basketball gym in Lacey on Saturday, according to the Seattle Times. He did not explicitly refer to the Nazis, the Holocaust, or Adolf Hitler.

The lawmaker posted the video on social media, and in the comments section, when someone asked if it was appropriate for him to be wearing the star, Walsh responded, "It's an echo from history. ... In the current context, we're all Jews."

So, what's next? The non-apology apology, or the doubling and tripling down?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2920 on: June 30, 2021, 11:47:34 AM »
Interesting that it is always republicans who want to channel nazis.

I would like to hear the opinions of some of our Scoopers who are right of center. We do have a handful of the real crazies here, but I am not interested in what they say.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2921 on: June 30, 2021, 12:21:14 PM »
I would like to hear the opinions of some of our Scoopers who are right of center.

On vaccine mandates or the GOP's behavior?

For the former, let private entities do what they want, but certainly not in favor of government mandated vaccines.

The latter? I am right of center, was involved in GOP politics in my college/early professional years, and it's really shameful what the party has devolved into. I'm a political orphan now. While my views on some issues have shifted left, I'm not a democrat. And frankly don't want to be associated with this GOP. I foresee a lot of write in votes in my future.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2922 on: June 30, 2021, 12:30:19 PM »

For the former, let private entities do what they want, but certainly not in favor of government mandated vaccines.

The latter? I am right of center, was involved in GOP politics in my college/early professional years, and it's really shameful what the party has devolved into. I'm a political orphan now. While my views on some issues have shifted left, I'm not a democrat. And frankly don't want to be associated with this GOP. I foresee a lot of write in votes in my future.

I feel for you Fan. People like you have been put in a tough position.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2923 on: June 30, 2021, 06:42:05 PM »

Pretty spot on.  I’m vaccinated, I’m in favor of the vaccine, but I’m not big on government mandated.

As for the rest, I imagine you’re a bit older than me, but you’ve summed up a sizeable millenial faction.  I have numerous friends in the 25-35 range like me who lean right, especially on financial and business issues, but are decidedly a left of center on stuff like the environment, LGBTQ and social issues, etc… I’ve been homeless for awhile. It’s incredible frustrating to not want to be associated with the lunatic Bible Belt fringe that is prominent in the GOP, but also have precious little in common with the louder voices on the left and less with my peer demo who enthusiastically supports them

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #2924 on: July 01, 2021, 12:35:55 AM »
I am right of center, was involved in GOP politics in my college/early professional years, and it's really shameful what the party has devolved into. I'm a political orphan now. While my views on some issues have shifted left, I'm not a democrat. And frankly don't want to be associated with this GOP. I foresee a lot of write in votes in my future.

This describes me to a T.