collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 384431 times)

JWags85

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2425 on: April 21, 2021, 09:15:03 PM »
We kinda knew that some of this was going to happen with warp speed.  And probably would have happened regardless of who was president at the time.

No no. Only Republican politicians engage in shenanigans to benefit themselves and their interests, hard stop

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2426 on: April 21, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »
Do solyndra and the healthcare.gov company next.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2427 on: April 22, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/21/health/vaccine-nursing-homes-infections.html

tldr: Nursing home with 90% of elderly vaccinated is infected by unvaccinated staff, sets off outbreak.

What caught my attention was this line:
Resistance to vaccines has been steep among nursing home staffs nationwide,

What?  I mean, of all the people, you're caring for the elderly who are ground zero for COVID deaths. 

Maybe they want to kill off their customers. 

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2428 on: April 22, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »

tldr: Nursing home with 90% of elderly vaccinated is infected by unvaccinated staff, sets off outbreak.

What?  I mean, of all the people, you're caring for the elderly who are ground zero for COVID deaths. 

My theory:

Frontline workers have had a very challenging year, from Walgreens workers and dentists all the way up to actual healthcare professionals. In order to get over the mental hurdle of going to work every day during a pandemic, they needed to compartmentalize the risk to themselves in order to get to work every day no matter how bad it got. I think a surprising % of those people compartmentalized a little too hard and are now unwilling to consider the risk that the pandemic is still putting them, their loved ones, and their community in.

I appreciate that so many people put on their proverbial hard-hats and physically went to work during this thing. Now it's our job to give them a little counseling to get them through the traumatic stress.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: April 22, 2021, 08:38:40 AM »

CNA licensing is easy to acquire.  Pay is low.  Can't force people to get vaccinated and nursing homes is already dangerously understaffed.  If you require it quite a few will probably walk off the job.  The way we treat our elderly and the way we treat those who care for them is shameful.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2430 on: April 22, 2021, 08:42:12 AM »
Do solyndra and the healthcare.gov company next.

This isn't really a fair comparison. Solyndra did have some transformative technology, in a need area. What did them under was an unexpected 90% drop in the price of raw materials for silicon-based solar power devices, and illegal dumping and price fixing by Chinese manufacturers.

Apiject, was a bad choice from the get go, I believe I even commented on it here. They were never going to have anything ready in the timeframe needed, and didn't have the experience or preliminary data to support such a large investment.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2431 on: April 22, 2021, 08:53:15 AM »
My theory:

Frontline workers have had a very challenging year, from Walgreens workers and dentists all the way up to actual healthcare professionals. In order to get over the mental hurdle of going to work every day during a pandemic, they needed to compartmentalize the risk to themselves in order to get to work every day no matter how bad it got. I think a surprising % of those people compartmentalized a little too hard and are now unwilling to consider the risk that the pandemic is still putting them, their loved ones, and their community in.

I appreciate that so many people put on their proverbial hard-hats and physically went to work during this thing. Now it's our job to give them a little counseling to get them through the traumatic stress.

CNA licensing is easy to acquire.  Pay is low.  Can't force people to get vaccinated and nursing homes is already dangerously understaffed.  If you require it quite a few will probably walk off the job.  The way we treat our elderly and the way we treat those who care for them is shameful.

I think there is a lot of truth in both of these theories.

The other point - which Hards hints at it in his comment - is that many nursing home staff are not educated in the sense that most people think of when they hear 'healthcare professional.' Typically, they have little if any knowledge of biology, virology, epidemiology, etc. In that sense, although they do a critically important job that is worthy of respect (and higher pay), they probably don't have any more understanding of vaccine research and development than the average person on the street.

I wish their real-world experience with the elderly made them more likely to get the vaccine...but I understand why it isn't a given.

The ones that mystify me are the doctors and nurses who refuse.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2432 on: April 22, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

The nurses I know (that went to MU) are deep into using and selling essential oils. It's a small sample size, but I'm not surprised that some are anti-vaxxers.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2433 on: April 22, 2021, 11:42:38 AM »
Excellent conversation about a sad story, Ska and Goooooooo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #2434 on: April 22, 2021, 01:49:38 PM »
Just got my 2nd Moderna shot. See you guys in 24 hours with a sob story. I'm pretty whiny when it comes to getting sick.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: April 22, 2021, 02:10:09 PM »
Got 2nd round of Pfizer 24 hours ago.  Sore arm (like 1st dose) and a little chilly is about it so far.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2436 on: April 22, 2021, 03:36:16 PM »
2nd pfizer on Tuesday. A little achy yesterday, but still able to work. Fine today.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: April 22, 2021, 03:57:45 PM »

I think there is a lot of truth in both of these theories.

The other point - which Hards hints at it in his comment - is that many nursing home staff are not educated in the sense that most people think of when they hear 'healthcare professional.' Typically, they have little if any knowledge of biology, virology, epidemiology, etc. In that sense, although they do a critically important job that is worthy of respect (and higher pay), they probably don't have any more understanding of vaccine research and development than the average person on the street.

I wish their real-world experience with the elderly made them more likely to get the vaccine...but I understand why it isn't a given.

Re: “Some” Nurses and Doctors...

Fanaticism > science education

Fanaticism > anything

The learning curve for some people is just how far fanaticism goes in some situations. It’s difficult to believe and difficult to understand because it defies logic and common sense.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:12:52 PM by shoothoops »

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2438 on: April 22, 2021, 03:58:43 PM »
My second Pfizer was last week... woke up briefly shivering that night. Next day had a small headache and a little brain fog but was back to normal by lunchtime. Felt like I got off easy based on some of the things I've heard.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2439 on: April 22, 2021, 06:45:23 PM »
Just got my 2nd Moderna shot. See you guys in 24 hours with a sob story. I'm pretty whiny when it comes to getting sick.

Day 2 for me, brain fog, aches, and took a nap today.  Surprised it didn't hit me harder.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2440 on: April 22, 2021, 06:47:28 PM »
2nd pfizer on Tuesday. A little achy yesterday, but still able to work. Fine today.
Ditto. Arm a bit sore and a bit tired but otherwise nothing.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2441 on: April 22, 2021, 07:57:47 PM »
Day 2 for me, brain fog, aches, and took a nap today.  Surprised it didn't hit me harder.

Isn't that a normal day for you?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2442 on: April 22, 2021, 08:04:23 PM »
Isn't that a normal day for you?

The nap was a weekday addition.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: April 22, 2021, 08:13:30 PM »
Stupid motherunnatural carnal knowledgeer.

GOP Sen. Ron Jonhson Criticizes ‘Big Push’ To Get Everyone Vaccinated

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2021/04/22/gop-sen-ron-jonhson-criticizes-big-push-to-get-everyone-vaccinated/?sh=3aa5ee1c6b77

"Johnson said he is “getting highly suspicious” of the “big push to make sure everybody gets the vaccine,” stating it’s “not a fully approved vaccine” but also arguing that the fact it is 95% effective means only a limited number of people need to be vaccinated.

The comments put Johnson at odds with Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who spent much of the last Senate recess urging Republican men to get vaccinated amid public opinion polling that shows they are the least likely to do so.

Johnson is one of the Senate’s most prolific promoters of coronavirus pseudoscience, holding hearings last year as the chair of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee to promote unproven treatments like Hydroxychloroquine."

Russian tool.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2444 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:21 PM »
Wisconsinites voted for him over Russ Fengold...twice. Think about that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2445 on: April 22, 2021, 08:35:51 PM »
Wisconsinites voted for him over Russ Fengold...twice. Think about that.

I think that also speaks to Feingold and people who were getting tired of him drifting further and further left.  I can’t believe they ran him again when Johnson got re-elected.  Same way Evers won the other way, cause enough people were sick of Walker, not cause they were energized by Evers

And Johnson isn’t a Russian pawn, he’s just a unnatural carnal knowledgeing moron. A business career riding the coattails of his wife’s family, literally from the minute he got out of school,  I think any Republican with a functioning brain and a pulse beats Feingold in 2010, and indeed it was one who barely qualifies for those metrics.  I mean he’s stupid enough to think he can go against McConnell.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2446 on: April 22, 2021, 10:32:50 PM »
I think that also speaks to Feingold and people who were getting tired of him drifting further and further left.  I can’t believe they ran him again when Johnson got re-elected.  Same way Evers won the other way, cause enough people were sick of Walker, not cause they were energized by Evers

And Johnson isn’t a Russian pawn, he’s just a unnatural carnal knowledgeing moron. A business career riding the coattails of his wife’s family, literally from the minute he got out of school,  I think any Republican with a functioning brain and a pulse beats Feingold in 2010, and indeed it was one who barely qualifies for those metrics.  I mean he’s stupid enough to think he can go against McConnell.

Maybe not knowingly, anyway. But he has pushed Putin's agenda. He has claimed Putin has not interfered in our elections. His investigations involving Ukraine have greatly benefitted Russian disinformation. Russian linked spies have spoken to Johnson and his staff to push lies to the US public.

But, as you say, he is too stoopid to know that he is being used as a Russian asset

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2447 on: April 23, 2021, 06:10:10 AM »

lmao, yes that's what they were tired of, and then they proceeded to elect Tammy Baldwin.  Hot take, buddy.

Ron Johnson got elected because he was an 'outsider' and a successful businessman.  Now he is no longer an outsider, and has walked back his promise to only serve two terms.

He's going to get crushed in the general by almost anyone the Dems run against him.  He is widely acknowledged as one of the most vulnerable senate seats to the point where the Dems hope he runs for a third term because he is that far down in polling.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2448 on: April 23, 2021, 07:03:27 AM »
Maybe not knowingly, anyway. But he has pushed Putin's agenda. He has claimed Putin has not interfered in our elections. His investigations involving Ukraine have greatly benefitted Russian disinformation. Russian linked spies have spoken to Johnson and his staff to push lies to the US public.

But, as you say, he is too stoopid to know that he is being used as a Russian asset
Beat me to it. He has carried Putin's water, and amplified Russian disinformation at every turn.

Perhaps it really is a case of him being monumentally stupid, but the consistency with which he aided Russia's efforts, coupled with his weird Fourth of July trip to Moscow, certainly raises the possibility it is intentional. He has literally parroted, time and time again, the disinformation of a known Russian spy.

Of course being a moron and being a Russian tool aren't mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 07:12:42 AM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2449 on: April 23, 2021, 07:56:55 AM »
I think that also speaks to Feingold and people who were getting tired of him drifting further and further left.

That really isn't accurate.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback