[May 19, 2024, 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[May 19, 2024, 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Ochocinco  (Read 9686 times)

Benny B

• All American
Re: Ochocinco
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 10:54:56 AM »
Tax dollars going to pay for the incarceration of a client patting his attorney on the butt?    Insane.  Lighten up, Frances.   I wonder if any real criminals were let out early to make space for this miscreant butt-patter. 

The incarceration was for domestic violence, battery, or something along those lines... not for patting his attorney on the butt.  Judges and juries are allowed to consider something called "remorse" when determining a sentence.  Not taking court proceedings seriously is a good example of the opposite.

I'm not a lawyer, but having interned for a litigator (in addition to being married to one), I've observed more than my share of the court on various matters from traffic matters to contract disputes to environmental violations to divorce to aggravated manslaughter... most judges (and lawyers) take the courtroom setting extremely seriously; a client would serve him/herself well to emulate the demeanor of his/her attorney, though many do quite the opposite (the benefit of doubt is rarely given to such individuals).

The MKE Co courthouse is a few blocks from campus... it would do many a student good to just go and sit in the gallery during a morning call sometime.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 11:29:54 AM »
He went to jail for headbutting a woman.  It is up to the judge to accept the plea or not as is my understanding.  If someone treated your job as a joke, I doubt you would have a level of acceptance to give them a break when the time came.  Also the judge apparently said it wasn't the first time he took the proceedings less than seriously.

Really for me its just stupidity.  The judge asked him if he thought his lawyer had done a good job representing him and he responds by slapping the guys ass?  You reap what you sew.

They were on the verge of plea bargain, CJ slaps his attorney in the butt, so now he's in jail. He's in jail because he slapped his attorney in the butt.

Now, CJ is an idiot, and it was a stupid move. He deserves to be punished. He should reap what he sews.

But, I don't think we need to waste thousands of tax dollars and resources on this.

Fine him. Put him in jail for 1 night. But, don't waste so much money/time on it.

In life, it's best to work from big to small. This is small. Don't waste a lot of time and money on it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »
having interned for a litigator (in addition to being married to one)

You are a brave man, Ben. Do not make your bride angry.

Death on call

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

They were on the verge of plea bargain, CJ slaps his attorney in the butt, so now he's in jail. He's in jail because he slapped his attorney in the butt.

Now, CJ is an idiot, and it was a stupid move. He deserves to be punished. He should reap what he sews.

But, I don't think we need to waste thousands of tax dollars and resources on this.

Fine him. Put him in jail for 1 night. But, don't waste so much money/time on it.

In life, it's best to work from big to small. This is small. Don't waste a lot of time and money on it.

The cost shouldn’t enter into it at all.  Judges should consider sentencing based on what is deserved for each individual case, not based on how much money it is going to cost. Do you really want judges to look at cost to determine how criminals are sentenced?  Ridiculous notion.

CJ broke probation on a domestic violence charge; plea bargains a deal, and then in front of a woman judge, slaps his lawyer in the ass as if to say, the boys just got over on the court system. You don’t see anything wrong with that?  He deserves every bit of the 30 days.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 12:12:57 PM »
You are a brave man, Ben. Do not make your bride angry.

Needless to say, the internship did more to prepare me for my marriage than my career.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:20 PM »

The cost shouldn’t enter into it at all.  Judges should consider sentencing based on what is deserved for each individual case, not based on how much money it is going to cost. Do you really want judges to look at cost to determine how criminals are sentenced?  Ridiculous notion.

CJ broke probation on a domestic violence charge; plea bargains a deal, and then in front of a woman judge, slaps his lawyer in the ass as if to say, the boys just got over on the court system. You don’t see anything wrong with that?  He deserves every bit of the 30 days.

In a vacuum, I agree with you. Also, if this was the supreme court, I would agree with you.

But, it isn't.

Obviously I don't want a judge up their with a calculator, but I also don't want the rulings from the bench to be completely immune to the ramifications of their judgements.

I guess for me, I don't think 30 days was needed to prove a point. 1 day. 2 days. Whatever. 30 just seems wasteful.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 01:06:19 PM »
In a vacuum, I agree with you. Also, if this was the supreme court, I would agree with you.

But, it isn't.

Obviously I don't want a judge up their with a calculator, but I also don't want the rulings from the bench to be completely immune to the ramifications of their judgements.

I guess for me, I don't think 30 days was needed to prove a point. 1 day. 2 days. Whatever. 30 just seems wasteful.

It's highly unlikely that he'll spend more than a couple of days in jail.

Sunbelt15

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 01:07:48 PM »
I really dont see the problem with the butt tap. I just dont. If she was sending him to jail for the plea fine, but I dont think the butt tap was rude.

Agree, but there's a time for everything. He chose the wrong time for smiles.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »
It's highly unlikely that he'll spend more than a couple of days in jail.

yea, and how much wasted time is there in the paperwork/plea that goes into that?

The whole exercise just seems wasteful.

Now, if they can figure out a way to make Chad PAY FOR IT, then I'm cool with whatever punishment they give.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »
Keefe slapped Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the rum once.  She liked it.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 06:19:30 PM »
Keefe slapped Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the rum once.  She liked it.

Ruthie...giving in to the moment...lost in the throes of ecstasy...waves of pleasure engulfing her and laying bare her very soul...God help her but she is just a woman, after all...

Death on call

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »

The MKE Co courthouse is a few blocks from campus... it would do many a student good to just go and sit in the gallery during a morning call sometime.

Heck, a few of my crew were not on the spectator side of the bar. 

I also have fond memories of attending the Lawrencia Bembenek trial rather than class, for more than a few days.  Seats were hard to score. 
Ludum habemus.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 07:22:58 PM »
The plea bargain had already been worked out.   The judge was grandstanding.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »
The plea bargain had already been worked out.   The judge was grandstanding.   

I get the feeling that judges feel they are the law instead of representing the law.
The judge was just saying how he owed it to the lawyer for keeping him out of jail....twice.

So 85 is happy to get out of jail and gives him lawyer a slap on the butt because of what the judge just said. The judge is just pissed the court is going to make the news and let that effect the verdict.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 10:05:12 PM »
I get the feeling that judges feel they are the law instead of representing the law.
The judge was just saying how he owed it to the lawyer for keeping him out of jail....twice.

So 85 is happy to get out of jail and gives him lawyer a slap on the butt because of what the judge just said. The judge is just pissed the court is going to make the news and let that effect the verdict.

No the judge wants to have proper decorum in her courtroom. 

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
Huge overreaction. No reason to sentence him to 30 days for that.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »

No the judge wants to have proper decorum in her courtroom. 
Which is why we feel it has nothing to do with the trial, but rather her pride. The trial was basically over and everything was agreed to at that point. There are other ways to deal with his actions like contempt of court, etc. I thought it was ridiculous that little action was the tipping point in the judge's mind for jail time when she had more severe actions leading up to it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2013, 10:40:30 PM »
Which is why we feel it has nothing to do with the trial, but rather her pride.

Or respect for her workplace.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »

How did Her Honor discipline the bailiff who broke into laughter at Johnson's breach of etiquette? In fact, the bailiff's role is precisely to maintain good order and discipline in the courtroom. That guy was leading the guffaws. Certainly he was held accountable.

Death on call

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
How did Her Honor discipline the bailiff who broke into laughter at Johnson's breach of etiquette? In fact, the bailiff's role is precisely to maintain good order and discipline in the courtroom. That guy was leading the guffaws. Certainly he was held accountable.

He was probably taken to the judge's chambers for a scolding.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
now being reported on ESPN

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Former NFL star Chad Johnson is being released immediately from jail after apologizing to a judge for lack of respect when he slapped his attorney on the backside in court last week.

Broward County Circuit Judge Kathleen McHugh accepted Johnson's apology Monday and reduced his jail term from 30 days to seven days. Attorney Adam Swickle said the rear-end slap was just a football player's way of saying thanks.

The 35-year-old formerly known as Chad Ochocinco was in court because of a probation violation stemming from a domestic altercation he had with his then-wife, TV reality star Evelyn Lozada.

Johnson was cut by the Miami Dolphins after that. He played most of his 11 NFL seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals and a year with the New England Patriots.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 11:06:33 AM »

That was a stretch excuse when it happened and looks even more laughable now that the judge has decreed Johnson's early release.

Pure and simple, it was an ego stroke.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 11:09:01 AM »
That was a stretch excuse when it happened and looks even more laughable now that the judge has decreed Johnson's early release.

Pure and simple, it was an ego stroke.

It was obvious all along that Johnson wasn't going to spend anywhere close to 30 days in jail.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 11:11:50 AM »
It was obvious all along that Johnson wasn't going to spend anywhere close to 30 days in jail.

Exactly. Which again shows the judge at her low self-esteem worst.

feedback