'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We should be happy beating UNC  (Read 17798 times)

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
Re: We should be happy beating UNC
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
That’s not the point chief.  It was claimed that this game wasn’t meaningless because the players were “pumped.”   The point is the game is meaningless regardless of the players being “pumped”

Fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is MU beat a UNC team they were not supposed to beat, yet they did, I'm enjoying the hell out of this win with no illusions going forward, yet still have some guarded optimism

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2021, 08:46:26 PM »
Yet amazingly you all still have loser mentalities there.  Must be all the murder.

You are literally too stupid to insult.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2021, 08:48:22 PM »
It feels even sweeter because I don't think UNC expected at all to lose the game.  We're a relatively big name team who's had a bad year, and looked like an easy mark for a win to improve the optics of the Heels' season.  Their players looked at our 100 NET ranking and 10-12 record and figured we'd just roll over for them.  They had everything to play for and all we had on the line was pride, and we still kicked their asses for 40 minutes.  About 5 minutes in, you could tell Roy was pissed that this game ever got scheduled, and I imagine he'll have a few choice words with his AD sometime this week.  Great to hand him and his bonus babies a bad loss.

Not only did Roy and UNC expect to win this game, but it was crystal clear both Rece Davis and Crispin thought the Heels would easily beat us.  And as an aside Crispin may be worse than Dakich which is saying a lot.  Absolute tool who incessantly talks with no discernible point known to man.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2021, 08:50:31 PM »
Someone doesn't understand statistics...

But ok you can have all the MU WI greats and take on all the MU Chicagoland greats, and tell me all about the "winning mentality" that you guys have while Wade, James, and McNeal run circles around Vander and Deiner.

Then you can tell me about all the great athletes from an entire state comparing them to just a city because you have little brother syndrome from not winning anything ever whether that's WI football, WI basketball, Bucks, Brewers, and severely underperforming with one of the greatest QBs ever.

For the record I agree with you about people shouldn't be going nuts about a win like this but you're being a dumb$hit and deserve to get called out.

You apparently don’t understand that some numbers are larger than others.  When I say all the murder are you going to argue that there is less murder in Chicago than Milwaukee?  No you have to try and shift to some statistical measure to try and justify the fact that Chicago has 500+ homicides a year.

You also them try to shift me saying Chicago fans have loser mentalities to commentary on athletes.  Again, you try to crap the narrative and in doing so you call out some MU greats in the process.  Who’s being a dumbcrap here?

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:13 PM »
What you call statistics aren't, furthermore the intangiables are what matter.
Is a learning curve a "statistic"?
Is an algorithm a statistic?
Is a body count a statistic?
Is a vote count a statistic?
I'm more than willing to get called out, but not tonight, and not by you.
If you can, enjoy the victory.

warriorstrack

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:49 PM »
Not only did Roy and UNC expect to win this game, but it was crystal clear both Rece Davis and Crispin thought the Heels would easily beat us.  And as an aside Crispin may be worse than Dakich which is saying a lot.  Absolute tool who incessantly talks with no discernible point known to man.

Luckily, I was at a bar, socially distanced and outside :), and didn't hear the crap show tv announcers.  Kept thinking though, where has this team been all year, minimize turn overs and this team is uber competitive

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »
Thinking from the UNC perspective, were they insane to schedule this game?

Not a great time to take a Q3 loss when you are currently a projected 9 seed. A rough end to the year and they may be out.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:24 PM »
A worthy thread, by title, that devolved to useless drivel in less than two pages. True Scoop.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2021, 08:52:45 PM »

Ooh, what a burn.  😂🤣

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:13 PM »
Fine, you are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is MU beat a UNC team they were not supposed to beat, yet they did, I'm enjoying the hell out of this win with no illusions going forward, yet still have some guarded optimism

Me too.
Tremendously improved as a team over the year. 
Still need to improve overcoming the press.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:36 PM »

Just a strange guy, now talking homicide rates in a b ball thread.  Does not follow the games, does not care if they win or lose, wins are meaningless and wants to argue.  Not wasting keystrokes anymore

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:51 PM »

Yeah, it was pretty obvious the announcers were rooting for UNC, and were annoyed that Marquette was handling them so easily.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2021, 08:54:54 PM »
If you think this game had any bearing on Wojo’s future next year, and let that ruin your joy of watching your team win, you’re a moron.
How in the world could you NOT think this game has any bearing on Wojo’s future??? Maybe not specifically next year but WOW. He’s still riding the 2016 Nova court storm today! How laughable!

warriorstrack

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2021, 08:55:03 PM »
A worthy thread, by title, that devolved to useless drivel in less than two pages. True Scoop.

Point taken, pretty much ignored the ....blah .... off topic replies

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2021, 08:55:51 PM »
You apparently don’t understand that some numbers are larger than others.  When I say all the murder are you going to argue that there is less murder in Chicago than Milwaukee?  No you have to try and shift to some statistical measure to try and justify the fact that Chicago has 500+ homicides a year.

You also them try to shift me saying Chicago fans have loser mentalities to commentary on athletes.  Again, you try to crap the narrative and in doing so you call out some MU greats in the process.  Who’s being a dumbcrap here?

Because that's not how comparisons work. It's literally like saying you're stronger than a child. Yeah but if the child can lift twice their body weight and you can only lift yours that child is stronger. You made a stupid comparison because it's all you have after making an idiotic point.

Yeah because our greats from Chicago aren't included as "Chicago fans". Again you don't have any legs to stand on because your fans don't know what winning is. You know damn well what coming close is though.
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2021, 08:56:19 PM »
Or do we have that winning energy of 6 bulls titles, 05 Sox, 16 Cubs?

What has WI won in that time? Two super bowls that's it.
Chicago has twice as many professional baseball teams as Wisconsin.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2021, 08:58:33 PM »
Chicago has twice as many professional baseball teams as Wisconsin.

Ok pick one of them and we have 1 more World Series in the past 5-16yrs (depending on which) than WI has in their entire history

Bottom line is this guy clearly is just mad that MU won and everyone isn't as miserable as him. He's then going to be a typical small town Wisconsin guy and hate in Chicago irrationally without making a rational argument.

Reminds me of MUGuru
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 09:00:49 PM by Galway Eagle »
Maigh Eo for Sam

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:21 PM »
Yes! He was terrible...first time for me.
However.....no one loves to hear himself talk more than Dan Dakich. Give me Bill Walton, Dickey Simpkins, and Lappas before Dick Itch.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:44 PM »
Yeah, it was pretty obvious the announcers were rooting for UNC, and were annoyed that Marquette was handling them so easily.

And here's really the bigger point:  MU controlled the game from the tip, realistically should have been up 22-27 after 20 mins, and this fact alone is worth noting.  We needed that cushion but don't tell me MU didn't play at a very high level for 20 mins with excellent contributions across the board.  We saw, regardless of how good or bad UNC is, that we are in fact capable of hooping.  And remember JLew was out.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
Always great beating the ACC. I'm happy!

I think I heard the UNC has only lost 18 non con games at the Dean Dome. Now 19!

Boone

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2021, 09:01:24 PM »
While I think I saw Pop Sims sneak onto the court to turn the ball over a couple times, it’s nice to beat those Carolina fat cats once a generation or so

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2021, 09:03:11 PM »
Absolutely delighted we won. Kudos to AD , Coaching Staff and Team for a wall to wall effort .

Win over UNC at the Dean Dome always a great thing for the program . Lots of TV Eyeballs helps the cause .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2021, 09:04:24 PM »
Ok pick one of them and we have 1 more World Series in the past 5-16yrs (depending on which) than WI has in their entire history

you guys are dense.  Regardless of championships your teams have, you have loser mentalities.  You settle for mediocrity on a regular basis.  You accept it with the Bears abs you’re accepting it with Marquette.  You can list all the championships you want.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2021, 09:06:15 PM »
Because that's not how comparisons work. It's literally like saying you're stronger than a child. Yeah but if the child can lift twice their body weight and you can only lift yours that child is stronger. You made a stupid comparison because it's all you have after making an idiotic point.

Yeah because our greats from Chicago aren't included as "Chicago fans". Again you don't have any legs to stand on because your fans don't know what winning is. You know damn well what coming close is though.

If Amazon makes $1 per customer and the local grocery store makes $10 per customer Amazon still has more money.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »
We Are Marquette!

Some of us, anyway.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson