[Today at 11:53:22 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:37:05 AM]

Lakers Going After Hurley by Warriors4ever
[Today at 11:29:37 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[June 09, 2024, 07:04:21 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We should be happy beating UNC  (Read 18010 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: We should be happy beating UNC
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2021, 07:08:29 AM »
How in the world could you NOT think this game has any bearing on Wojo’s future??? Maybe not specifically next year but WOW. He’s still riding the 2016 Nova court storm today! How laughable!

Because he is going to be back next year. His job was never in serious jeopardy.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2021, 07:09:33 AM »
No, some people are realists.

It's tough to get worked up about the game when the season is effectively over and the result is meaningless.

Then don’t. Posting on a message board about it is really weird. But you do you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2021, 07:11:24 AM »
The admin doesn't give two sh*ts about "finishing in the middle." At this point in his tenure, missing the tournament is a bad season. This season is already a bad season barring a miracle. COVID has already saved his job this year. How he performs next season will be the sole criteria for whether or not he is the coach the following year. Today's game, or any of the remaining games will have zero impact on that decision barring a miracle winning streak. He could lose out or come one win short of the tournament and have the same amount of leash next season.

I understand that you think Marquette losing is the best thing for the program long term. I don't agree with but comprehend your thought process. But do you enjoy it? Do you enjoy watching your team lose? If the answer is yes, I don't get that but that's your business. If that's how you get your rocks off, more power to you.

But if the answer is no...why are you watching? If wins make you upset because you think it is bad for the program long term and losses make you upset because you don't enjoy watching your team lose, what possible upside can there be to you watching? Why not just tune out until either Wojo is fired or has won enough to change your mind?

Exactly.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2021, 07:29:45 AM »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2021, 07:36:06 AM »
So you're saying we shouldn't compete and intentionally lose?  I don't think MU fans are neglecting the bigger picture at all.  Nor do I believe last night's win or what we do from here on out will determine how we proceed in the future.

That sums it up nicely.  The players and coaches are going to try and win.  This isn’t professional sports where teams are suddenly cheered on to lose to improve draft chances. 

If the AD comes out and says this win saved Wojo’s job or was indicative of some trajectory, then we can have a discussion.  Fans underestimate how athletic departments think.  Take a look at the bigger picture of the department and ask yourself if they’re capable of making the right decision about coaches and so on.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2021, 07:46:12 AM »
I don't think anyone is angry we won. Even the most disillusioned of Nojo has to believe last night was a nice win for which we should be thankful. The guys played hard. They played with emotion and they did what they were supposed to do.

Win

Rather, a lot of us feel a sense of emptiness. The sense that comes from a team that defeated Wisconsin, Creighton and North Carolina but managed to lose to St. John's, Seton Hall and DePaul. While there is no shame in an occasional unexpected loss (unless it is DePaul), the lack of execution in our losses, the turnovers and the inconsistency is maddening.

What last night showed is that we have what we thought we had -- a reasonably talented but raw group of basketball players. The consistency that by now we would have expected has yet to come and the flash of brilliance we saw last night is a harbinger of what could have been.

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2021, 07:47:26 AM »
Love it. Life SHOULD be full of little celebrations.

Or ...

Folks can choose to be pissed off about a double-digit win at the Dean Dome because it will result in a coach who wasn't going to get fired anyway not getting fired.

LOL, yeah.  It sounds silly when you say it that way, but that's exactly right.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2021, 07:48:22 AM »

Based on this post I had to to try to figure out if this was just a troll.  Been registered sine 2012, so not likely.  Though the last thing that this person was so emotional about was that everyone should probably being using Apple and not Android.

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=32812.msg399062#msg399062

I donno.  :-X
I'm 95% sure the spirits of Skip Bayless and Laura Ingraham we're alternately possessing him. 5% sure it's the other type of spirits in him last night that he couldn't control.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2021, 08:21:04 AM »
I'm not sure why this is so complicated for some people....

Enjoying a road win against a quality program and being happy for the kids on the team does not equate to:

-Being satisfied with this season
-Accepting mediocrity
-Wanting Wojo to return next season

Additionally, as mentioned by multiple posters, this win will not have anything to do with a decision on Wojo's future.

If you can't understand all of this you're not particularly bright.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2021, 08:27:26 AM »
Decisions are made off of seasons and seasons are the culmination of individual games.

Landing somewhere in the middle season after season after season after season after season after season after season has provided Wojo with nothing but handsome extensions.

Beating UNC, coming back from an embarrassing deficit to squeak out a win against Georgetown, and beating a D3 Butler team by 3 are all individual games - obviously. But those three individual games aggregate to change the final result of this season to another “somewhere in the middle” season that the admin will happily pawn off as “just missed the tourney” or “another post season (NIT) appearance”.

The alternative is losses in those games that will force the admin’s hand in making a decision about this coaching staff - whether it be this year or next. Winning those three individual games in the greater context of this season adds no progress to the “where-we-want-to-be-o-meter”, but they do provide a convenient shield for the admin to downplay the dire state of affairs of our program.

So excuse me for not being one of the blissful idiots. I see the bigger picture and it’s quite grim. It just seems that... some don’t. Some never will.

You see the bigger picture, but you think beating UNC on the road is going to keep Wojo around.

Oh the irony.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2021, 08:32:40 AM »
You see the bigger picture, but you think beating UNC on the road is going to keep Wojo around.

Oh the irony.
Didn’t we just have this similar conversation after the Georgetown win? And didn’t I just spend 3 paragraphs making the points that, while this is an individual game, it aggregates with other individual games to change the outcome of our season from piss poor to mediocre? Both of which suck but one of which is defensible? Read the post or don’t reply.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2021, 08:33:42 AM »
Didn’t we just have this similar conversation after the Georgetown win? And didn’t I just spend 3 paragraphs making the points that, while this is an individual game, it aggregates with other individual games to change the outcome of our season from piss poor to mediocre? Both of which suck but one of which is defensible? Read the post or don’t reply.

So you "see the bigger picture," yet you think a win at UNC changes our season from "piss poor" to "mediocre?"

Again, the irony.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »

Enjoying a road win against a quality program and being happy for the kids on the team does not equate to:

-Accepting mediocrity

Additionally, as mentioned by multiple posters, this win will not have anything to do with a decision on Wojo's future.

Nah bro if you didn't smash your TV last night out of anger then Wojo's going to get an extension and continue tanking for draft picks.

I think it's fair for people to not really have the same excitement this win might usually have. This isn't exactly an usual UNC team, just as for UNC this isn't an usual Marquette team where they could say "oh well it's an underrated program".

I get why some people might want this season to basically be over at this point. Even if we win out we don't have a great chance at a bid so I think some people just don't want that false hope.

That being said on a nationally televised game we embarrassed a storied program on their home court when their backs should've been against a wall fighting for a bid. That is worth being happy over. Not exactly drinking all night and feeling like kings of basketball but a good feeling in a season where there's only been two other good feelings.
Maigh Eo for Sam

• All American
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:29 AM »

<sigh>

He was never getting fired after this year. 

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2021, 08:36:08 AM »

I certainly am sick of mediocre seasons and want Wojo gone. But that being said I'd prefer a mediocre season over a bad season 10/10 times. And by admitting that we'd be headed to another mediocre season aren't you admitting to overreacting and using major hyperbole when you don't stop mentioning how irrelevant and terrible we are?
Maigh Eo for Sam

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2021, 08:39:51 AM »
So you're saying we shouldn't compete and intentionally lose?  I don't think MU fans are neglecting the bigger picture at all.  Nor do I believe last night's win or what we do from here on out will determine how we proceed in the future.
No one is suggesting the team not compete. They should go out there and do their absolute best every time on the floor. The same way the 76ers G League teams they were trotting out for a couple years played 100% every single night. If that effort results in .500 seasons every year and bubble city with no NCAA wins over 8 years - the admin needs to be smart enough to move on from the coach. They have not been. They won’t be at the end of this year (is the consensus). So really the admin is as responsible for the eternal plunge into irrelevance as Wojo - which I’ve said consistently.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2021, 08:43:41 AM »
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

---------

Some here seem to misconstrue serenity for blissful ignorance. Maybe that makes it easier for them to vent their anger, instead of enjoying a special moment for MU hoops.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2021, 08:45:09 AM »
So you "see the bigger picture," yet you think a win at UNC changes our season from "piss poor" to "mediocre?"

Again, the irony.
Buddy, read the post. I listed 3 wins that “aggregate” to change the outcome of the season. Do you know what “aggregate” means? You’ve been on here with this same song and dance at every single one.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2021, 08:51:09 AM »
But that being said I'd prefer a mediocre season over a bad season 10/10 times.
Here’s the difference between you (and everyone else trying to make your point) and me. This is why we can’t agree.

To me - there is absolutely no difference at all  between a bad season and a mediocre season. None. To me - they are both completely unacceptable failures and do nothing to excite me as a fan. The only “difference” is that I can see how the powers that be could attempt to defend one over the other.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2021, 08:53:19 AM »
It's important to celebrate success, and, MUBB was successful last night. There's value in celebrating a good non-conference win over a good program in an additional geography. Enjoy it until the next practice/game. And, on to the next one.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
To me - there is absolutely no difference at all  between a bad season and a mediocre season. None. To me - they are both completely unacceptable failures.

So what are you gonna do about it, 5Cent, besides come on Scoop and whine about our wins?

-Accepting mediocrity

Thank you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2021, 08:56:23 AM »
I certainly am sick of mediocre seasons and want Wojo gone. But that being said I'd prefer a mediocre season over a bad season 10/10 times. And by admitting that we'd be headed to another mediocre season aren't you admitting to overreacting and using major hyperbole when you don't stop mentioning how irrelevant and terrible we are?
Also - I don’t say we’re “terrible”. I say we are “irrelevant”. We absolutely are “irrelevant” and that’s not hyperbole. Mediocrity = irrelevance. Nobody thinks about us in the National picture. Many NCAA fans probably all but forgot we existed until we won last night. We won’t be in the tourney so there’s no path to relevance there. During his tenure we’ve been there twice and lost twice - like a fly you swat away from your ear. We are irrelevant under Wojo. The longer he coaches the more irrelevant we will become.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2021, 08:59:11 AM »
So what are you gonna do about it, 5Cent, besides come on Scoop and whine about our wins?
I’m gonna get in my suit and apply for the job tomorrow, 82.... I mean what is ever going to come from anything anyone does here?  Every post is the very definition of useless blathering.

But to answer your question earnestly, I’m going to boo the living crap out of the coach the second we’re allowed back in the Forum.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2021, 09:01:36 AM »
I’m gonna get in my suit and apply for the job tomorrow, 82.... I mean what is ever going to come from anything anyone does here?  Every post is the very definition of useless blathering.

But to answer your question earnestly, I’m going to boo the living crap out of the coach the second we’re allowed back in the Forum.

Classy.

feedback