[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2024 NFL Offseason and Draft Thread  (Read 95783 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2023-24 NFL Thread
« Reply #1425 on: November 14, 2023, 05:08:16 PM »

Yes, this is a new thing that just started this year. I was taken aback when I noticed as well.

Yesterday I laughed out loud at one of your posts. Today, you embrace sarcasm.

I like it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1426 on: November 15, 2023, 08:17:34 AM »
I don't think it was mentioned Sunday how gutsy Dan Campbell continues to be with his game management. He knew the Lions needed to score lots of points to beat the Chargers, and he went for it 5 times on 4th down. The Lions converted 4 of them - and they weren't 4th-and-inches plays, either.

His boldest call came with just under 2 minutes left and the game tied at 38. It was fourth-and-2 at the LA 26-yard line, and the Lions could have kicked the go-ahead FG, but instead Campbell went for it - and Goff completed a 6-yard pass to keep the drive going. As a result, the Lions were able to run out the clock and kick the game-winner on the final play.

Had Campbell gone for the first FG attempt - as most (if not all) coaches would have done - Herbert would have had plenty of time and a solid chance to win the game. But the coach trusted Goff & Co. to get at least 2 yards to basically win the game.

Of course, had the gambit failed, Campbell would be getting criticized by some for the decision. But it didn't fail, and this is who Campbell is. From an outside observer - neither a Lions fan nor a Lions hater - it's great stuff.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1427 on: November 15, 2023, 08:35:59 AM »
He knew his defense was a sieve and the only way to win was to hold onto the ball.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1428 on: November 15, 2023, 08:58:42 AM »
He knew his defense was a sieve and the only way to win was to hold onto the ball.

And yet many (probably most, perhaps even all) other coaches with sieve defenses would have kicked the FG in the same scenario.

The dope here in Charlotte sent out his accurate-but-short-range kicker to try a 59-yarder just to tie the game. It was only about 10 yards short.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1429 on: November 15, 2023, 09:25:21 AM »
I don't think it was mentioned Sunday how gutsy Dan Campbell continues to be with his game management. He knew the Lions needed to score lots of points to beat the Chargers, and he went for it 5 times on 4th down. The Lions converted 4 of them - and they weren't 4th-and-inches plays, either.

His boldest call came with just under 2 minutes left and the game tied at 38. It was fourth-and-2 at the LA 26-yard line, and the Lions could have kicked the go-ahead FG, but instead Campbell went for it - and Goff completed a 6-yard pass to keep the drive going. As a result, the Lions were able to run out the clock and kick the game-winner on the final play.

Had Campbell gone for the first FG attempt - as most (if not all) coaches would have done - Herbert would have had plenty of time and a solid chance to win the game. But the coach trusted Goff & Co. to get at least 2 yards to basically win the game.

Of course, had the gambit failed, Campbell would be getting criticized by some for the decision. But it didn't fail, and this is who Campbell is. From an outside observer - neither a Lions fan nor a Lions hater - it's great stuff.

Couldn't agree more.  They play insanely entertaining football in totality, and much of the vibes come from Campbell himself.  He and McDaniel have been such a refreshing addition to an increasingly stale and formulaic NFL HC collection.  And IMO, his gutsy calls and decision making has been measured and well placed, unlike Staley on the other sideline who often makes "gutsy" calls that are beyond head scratching.

The Silver Lining!!!  Not just for West Bend Insurance anymore  ;D

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1430 on: November 15, 2023, 09:27:02 AM »
Yeah, I think they're going to make a change at Offensive Coordinator first.

Good call. Dorsey was selected as Mr. Scapegoat. He had some head-coaching interviews this past offseason IIRC.

Not For Long, indeed.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1431 on: November 15, 2023, 09:32:07 AM »
Couldn't agree more.  They play insanely entertaining football in totality, and much of the vibes come from Campbell himself.  He and McDaniel have been such a refreshing addition to an increasingly stale and formulaic NFL HC collection.  And IMO, his gutsy calls and decision making has been measured and well placed, unlike Staley on the other sideline who often makes "gutsy" calls that are beyond head scratching.

The thing about Staley is I don't think he makes "gutsy" calls, in the sense he's going by gut instinct or any intuitive sense that might go against the grain. I think he's a robot. He seems to make decisions based on whatever the probabilities tell him, regardless of the game situation or flow. Fourth and 1 is fourth and 1, regardless of the time on the clock, ball location, score, defense, run success in the game, etc. He either has no instincts or doesn't trust the instincts he has.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1432 on: November 15, 2023, 09:59:43 AM »
The thing about Staley is I don't think he makes "gutsy" calls, in the sense he's going by gut instinct or any intuitive sense that might go against the grain. I think he's a robot. He seems to make decisions based on whatever the probabilities tell him, regardless of the game situation or flow. Fourth and 1 is fourth and 1, regardless of the time on the clock, ball location, score, defense, run success in the game, etc. He either has no instincts or doesn't trust the instincts he has.

Thats totally fair, hence why i put the quotations around it.  I meant more in the generally accepted sense of gutsy, but I agree.  He's not some gambler, he's on autopilot and it burns him way too often, its pretty remarkable.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1433 on: November 15, 2023, 10:29:30 AM »
Barring a remarkable turnaround, pretty sure Staley will be gone after the season, right?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1434 on: November 15, 2023, 10:49:01 AM »
Barring a remarkable turnaround, pretty sure Staley will be gone after the season, right?
Get right game this weekend

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1435 on: November 15, 2023, 01:32:04 PM »

The Silver Lining!!!  Not just for West Bend Insurance anymore  ;D

Fact.  Detroit's defense had just given up touchdowns on 5 consecutive possessions.   Campbell acknowledged this and said he trusted his offense more than his defense to make a play at that point.   Not complaining.   Just echoing the coach.

Other than the Seattle loss, Campbell continues to be aggressive with his play calling and continues to go for it on 4th down.   Fun stuff.

Detroit is getting serious as they are signing vets with playoff experience to their practice squad.   

NM: They grabbed an experienced corner.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 04:57:04 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1436 on: November 16, 2023, 11:05:34 AM »
Good read, for anyone interested, on why Ken Dorsey wasn't the problem in Buffalo.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/sean-mcdermott-buffalo-bills-ken-dorsey/

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1437 on: November 17, 2023, 05:54:07 AM »
Bengals could be in some trouble for not disclosing a Burrow wrist injury.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1438 on: November 17, 2023, 08:01:00 AM »
Bengals could be in some trouble for not disclosing a Burrow wrist injury.

That would go along with the Bengals' season definitely being in trouble.

The injury is a damn shame. Burrow is a great QB who is fun to watch, and injuries have ruined his season - and the Bengals' championship hopes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1439 on: November 17, 2023, 01:56:31 PM »
Burrow officially done for the year

If Bills dont figure it out fast the Chiefs gonna have a cake walk back to the superbowl.

Injuries blow, no Burrow will now give the Vikes another winnable game in their improbable push for another first round playoff exit.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1440 on: November 17, 2023, 01:58:43 PM »
Burrow officially done for the year

If Bills dont figure it out fast the Chiefs gonna have a cake walk back to the superbowl.

Injuries blow, no Burrow will now give the Vikes another winnable game in their improbable push for another first round playoff exit.
Don't sleep on the Ravens.

And of course the Vikings are in the playoff picture.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1441 on: November 17, 2023, 02:20:22 PM »
Don't sleep on the Ravens.

And of course the Vikings are in the playoff picture.

Lamar gonna have to show me something in the playoffs before I wake up
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1443 on: November 18, 2023, 07:56:15 AM »
They are taking advantage of their first amendment freedoms.   And so is he.    And he isn't wrong.   

If you look at this season through the prism of it being a rebuild, then there is definitely reason for optimism down the road.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1444 on: November 18, 2023, 07:58:18 AM »
They are taking advantage of their first amendment freedoms.   And so is he.    And he isn't wrong.   

If you look at this season through the prism of it being a rebuild, then there is definitely reason for optimism down the road.   

I’m not a fan of the first amendment

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1445 on: November 18, 2023, 08:31:00 AM »

But the second on the other hand…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1446 on: November 18, 2023, 08:34:10 AM »

....he opines ironically....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1447 on: November 18, 2023, 08:39:43 AM »
....he opines ironically....

I’m a fan of my first amendment rights

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1448 on: November 19, 2023, 09:38:50 AM »
Big game for Texans. In playoff contention . Saw CJ Stroud play live and he has a bright future .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1449 on: November 19, 2023, 10:21:49 AM »
Browns Steelers always a big rivalry game. Today a lot on the line as both  teams are 6-3
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2023/11/18/steelers-browns-ravens-afc-north-playoffs/
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire