'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theoritcal MU Question  (Read 21408 times)

silverback

• Starter
Re: Theoritcal MU Question
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2019, 12:26:26 AM »
Thank you for all of the responses.

I can't comment, agree or disagree with any of them because that could influence or taint the conversation. Still, it's all appreciated.

Take care.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
I can't comment, agree or disagree with any of them because that could influence or taint the conversation.

Well, you started it on Scoop, so the taint was inevitable.

One other thing to factor in is fan bias. When you love something, especially when it comes to sports, it seems hard to acknowledge the faults. How many Penn State fans refused to acknowledge what was going on, even when it was obvious? You saw the same from fans of Michigan State & Ohio State.

Amidst the cheating allegations, I've repeatedly seen Arizona fans defending Sean Miller. They are the only ones thinking there's a chance he's clean.

Even here, we did it with the rape allegations. We worked to convince ourselves that the victim was the problem.

If something bigger happened, it's hard not to turn a blind eye when you have a vested fan interest, or at the least for judgments to be adversely affected. The last people to accept that a major scandal was going on at Marquette are people like those of us on this board.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2019, 09:53:21 AM »

One other thing to factor in is fan bias. When you love something, especially when it comes to sports, it seems hard to acknowledge the faults. How many Penn State fans refused to acknowledge what was going on, even when it was obvious? You saw the same from fans of Michigan State & Ohio State.

Amidst the cheating allegations, I've repeatedly seen Arizona fans defending Sean Miller. They are the only ones thinking there's a chance he's clean.

Even here, we did it with the rape allegations. We worked to convince ourselves that the victim was the problem.

If something bigger happened, it's hard not to turn a blind eye when you have a vested fan interest, or at the least for judgments to be adversely affected. The last people to accept that a major scandal was going on at Marquette are people like those of us on this board.

Thank you for stating it so well.  I think it falls under the Commitment Bias category.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2019, 11:00:23 AM »
What should the punishment have been?

He destroyed a young woman's life through his personal recklessness and drunk driving.  The charges should have stuck (not dropped), thrown off the team (if MU has morals and not a more pressing concern about rebound production) and maybe spent some time in jail.

Instead, most in the MU community in 1985, though it was a joke like MU 82.

Castration.

Then put his man parts back on and castrate him again.

Then boil him in oil.

Then use the oil to fry something at Arby's.

I mean, duh!
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2019, 11:09:17 AM »
Wow that really is messed up. I had no idea that happened and thought the two 2010-11 assaults were the worst thing in program history.

Was there any eventual fallout from this?

Linda Tully's father died in 2016.  This was part of his Obituary

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2016/6/24/18472259/thomas-a-tully-noted-sherlockian-dead-at-80

His religious faith saw him through a harrowing ordeal with one of his six children.

In 1985, his daughter Linda Jean suffered a brain injury when she lost her grip and fell while “skitching” from a Jeep in Milwaukee, where she was a 21-year-old volleyball player for Marquette University.

For 24 years, she remained in a vegetative state. He, his wife and the rest of the Tullys visited her frequently. Linda Jean Tully died in 2009.

Wisconsin authorities considered charging the driver, Marquette basketball player Tom Copa, but decided not to. Mr. Tully’s brother said that was after the grieving father told officials, “Look, this was an accident, this was a bunch of kids out having a good time.”

Reached Wednesday, Copa, who went on to play with the San Antonio Spurs, called Mr. Tully “a very generous person, generous in spirit, very kind and, quite frankly, an inspiration and an example to me.”

---------------

He was too kind to Copa

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
Thank you for stating it so well.  I think it falls under the Commitment Bias category.

I will say, I believe it was Galway Eagle (maybe also chitown) who were strongly in the corner of the victim in the campus rape allegations under Buzz. Though while that certainly is admirable, I believe it was born out of a different commitment bias to a friend he/they knew. It just goes to show how our own frame of reference shapes our perceptions of events.

I don't think the people at Penn State/MSU/Ohio State/Arizona are any better or worse than the people here. I don't think this is an inherent flaw or a sign of a moral corruption so thorough that it permeates beyond the programs and to the fanbases as a whole. It's just how we as people tend to rationalize and justify what we see when it comes to things we are biased in favor of.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
I will say, I believe it was Galway Eagle (maybe also chitown) who were strongly in the corner of the victim in the campus rape allegations under Buzz. Though while that certainly is admirable, I believe it was born out of a different commitment bias to a friend he/they knew. It just goes to show how our own frame of reference shapes our perceptions of events.

I don't think the people at Penn State/MSU/Ohio State/Arizona are any better or worse than the people here. I don't think this is an inherent flaw or a sign of a moral corruption so thorough that it permeates beyond the programs and to the fanbases as a whole. It's just how we as people tend to rationalize and justify what we see when it comes to things we are biased in favor of.

Absolutely Agree, it's a Human flaw that is out there for all of us.  Maybe through self reflection we may become more aware of our own Commitment Bias and try tomake adjustments.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2019, 11:45:01 AM »
I cannot believe I am saying this, but I agree with 4Never.

The only thing that would get me to come back is if they got rid of literally everyone even remotely involved or aware of the scandal and the coverup.  The president, the BOD, the provost, the athletic director, all of the coaches, everyone.  They would also have to permanently break ties with every booster and donor involved.

And regarding the other question, I don't attend church anymore.  I consider myself a Catholic, but I can't support the current leadership structure.  They would have to do the same thing I described above, which wouldn't leave enough people available to run the organization.  Hmmm, maybe they should let women become priests to help....
. Married priests would help.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2019, 03:31:10 PM »

No doubt.
Have some patience, FFS.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2019, 03:33:57 PM »
Linda Tully's father died in 2016.  This was part of his Obituary

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2016/6/24/18472259/thomas-a-tully-noted-sherlockian-dead-at-80

His religious faith saw him through a harrowing ordeal with one of his six children.

In 1985, his daughter Linda Jean suffered a brain injury when she lost her grip and fell while “skitching” from a Jeep in Milwaukee, where she was a 21-year-old volleyball player for Marquette University.

For 24 years, she remained in a vegetative state. He, his wife and the rest of the Tullys visited her frequently. Linda Jean Tully died in 2009.

Wisconsin authorities considered charging the driver, Marquette basketball player Tom Copa, but decided not to. Mr. Tully’s brother said that was after the grieving father told officials, “Look, this was an accident, this was a bunch of kids out having a good time.”

Reached Wednesday, Copa, who went on to play with the San Antonio Spurs, called Mr. Tully “a very generous person, generous in spirit, very kind and, quite frankly, an inspiration and an example to me.”

---------------

He was too kind to Copa

So there was no coverup, no evidence of Marquette trying to intercede in the legal process, and even the girl's own father thought the handling of the incident was appropriate.  What exactly was Marquette's wrongdoing here?
Have some patience, FFS.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2019, 04:24:21 PM »

I think one way to self test for bias is to honestly ask yourself "if this happened at another university (one that you are entirely neutral about), what would I say/think?"

Let's look at the flip side of quickly taking a position on an alleged crime. I was recently on a jury and the defendent was charged with raping a 15 year old girl. I caught myself all too willing to vote guilty and then forced myself to question if I would be as quick to vote guilty if the victim was 50 instead of 15. After some soul searching I decided I would vote the same way, but the question really needed to be asked. I did vote guilty but again, I think it's important to check our unconscious biases.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2019, 04:53:13 PM »

Getting rid of poverty vow would help then, too, I suppose

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2019, 05:38:40 PM »

Instead, most in the MU community in 1985, though it was a joke like MU 82.

Please.

Please don't include every Scooper in the "we," brew.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2019, 06:05:42 PM »
Nobody thought it was a joke.  It was a tragic accident.   That poor girl was injured something I had done many times prior and have done many times since.  There was no malice.  A bunch of kids having fun in the snow and tragedy.   Nobody hid anything.  Procedures and standards if the time were followed.  Her father chose forgiveness.  Tom Copa went through the appropriate processes.   No conspiracy, no cover-up, nobody taking it as a joke.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2019, 07:34:38 PM »
Nobody thought it was a joke.  It was a tragic accident.   That poor girl was injured something I had done many times prior and have done many times since.  There was no malice.  A bunch of kids having fun in the snow and tragedy.   Nobody hid anything.  Procedures and standards if the time were followed.  Her father chose forgiveness.  Tom Copa went through the appropriate processes.   No conspiracy, no cover-up, nobody taking it as a joke.

Drunk driver recklessly driving in the snow with a girl (that was probably drunk too) hanging off the running board ... it's merely a tragedy and nothing else to see, we have the Wisconsin game next week to focus on.

Like I have been saying, we (the collective "we" here) will accept ANYTHING and rationalize everything away so they can continue to accept their team and root for them.

Silverback, please read this Copa part and recognize all the pontificating about morality on page 1 is total garbage.  No amount of malfeasance will get anyone to leave rooting for MU ... just like no one is leaving MSU or Penn State.  We are all the same.

Only a bad record will do that.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 07:36:29 PM by Heisenberg v2.0 »

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2019, 07:42:14 PM »
So there was no coverup, no evidence of Marquette trying to intercede in the legal process, and even the girl's own father thought the handling of the incident was appropriate.  What exactly was Marquette's wrongdoing here?

The victim's family does not get to decide the punishment when the law is broken.  That is for the police to investigate and the district attorney to decide.

Do you honestly believe if Copa was not a MUBB player and NBA prospect he would have gotten the same treatment?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2019, 07:53:38 PM »
In 1985?  Probably.   Today, less likely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2019, 08:53:32 PM »
Drunk driver recklessly driving in the snow with a girl (that was probably drunk too) hanging off the running board ... it's merely a tragedy and nothing else to see, we have the Wisconsin game next week to focus on.

Like I have been saying, we (the collective "we" here) will accept ANYTHING and rationalize everything away so they can continue to accept their team and root for them.

Silverback, please read this Copa part and recognize all the pontificating about morality on page 1 is total garbage.  No amount of malfeasance will get anyone to leave rooting for MU ... just like no one is leaving MSU or Penn State.  We are all the same.

Only a bad record will do that.

Don't speak for me.

And you are 100% wrong about the Copa incident.
Have some patience, FFS.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2019, 01:08:00 AM »
And you are 100% wrong about the Copa incident.

Please enlighten

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2019, 07:08:22 AM »
Please enlighten

Read my earlier posts. Comparing it to the scandals at the other schools is a completely false equivalence.
Have some patience, FFS.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2019, 01:23:20 PM »
It's not as though Penn State escaped with zero consequences from the Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.

Far from it.

School president Graham Spanier resigned. Athletic director Tim Curley and coach Joe Paterno had their contracts terminated. Spanier, Curley and school vice president Gary Schultz were charged with perjury, obstruction of justice and failure to report suspected child abuse. All three were sentenced to jail terms (ranging from 4 to 23 months) followed by 2 years of probation.

The NCAA hit Penn State with possibly the most severe sanctions ever imposed on a member institution, including a $60 million fine. The death penalty was seriously considered. The Big Ten Conference imposed an additional $13 million fine.

Settlements with the victims cost Penn State more than $90 million. The scandal even led Moody's Investors Service to downgrade the university's bond rating, which wouldn't be restored for almost four years.

As for financial supporters, officials said the school lost about a half dozen large donors (individuals or corporations who donated more than $1 million).

As of 2017, the school's total cost approached a quarter-billion dollars.

https://onwardstate.com/2018/11/09/penn-state-added-7-5-million-to-sandusky-scandal-costs-in-2017-18/
https://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/us/penn-state-scandal-fast-facts/index.html
https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ncaa/penn-state-abuse-scandal-costs-approach-quarter-billion
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
I left the church.

So when the President of our country took advantage of an intern, does that mean we should not support the USA.  My assertion would be it may be alright to support the ideals of an organization without necessarily supporting those who run it or enforce the rules.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2019, 01:56:12 PM »
So when the President of our country took advantage of an intern, does that mean we should not support the USA.  My assertion would be it may be alright to support the ideals of an organization without necessarily supporting those who run it or enforce the rules.

That seems logical.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2019, 02:05:51 PM »

Sure. But people do leave the US too. Some people have breaking points.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2019, 02:13:03 PM »
My post in another thread reminded me....

Bill Cosby has received dozens of honorary degrees, and Marquette was the first school to rescind the one they gave him after his scandal came to light.  I know it's a symbolic gesture, but at least they did the right thing.
Have some patience, FFS.

feedback