[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Theoritcal MU Question  (Read 21100 times)

Marcus92

• All American
Re: Theoritcal MU Question
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2019, 02:20:11 PM »
I think the answer is "it depends." But I see two general possibilities:

If Marquette faced an issue on the order of Penn State, but denied that there was a problem in the first place, resisted the investigation at every turn, attacked the victims and disputed any penalties, I'd have a hard time supporting the university. I chose MU as a university with a strong academic standing and values first -- and as a basketball school second.

However, if Marquette showed that it acknowledged wrong-doing, committed itself to fully investigating the issue, held those at fault accountable, accepted the consequences and did what it could to compensate the victims, chances are I would still support MU.

Organizations aren't perfect. Even those dedicated to education and service. But when you fall short of your ideals, what matters is how you deal with it.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2019, 03:48:20 PM »

If Marquette faced an issue on the order of Penn State, but denied that there was a problem in the first place, resisted the investigation at every turn, attacked the victims and disputed any penalties, I'd have a hard time supporting the university. I chose MU as a university with a strong academic standing and values first -- and as a basketball school second.

However, if Marquette showed that it acknowledged wrong-doing, committed itself to fully investigating the issue, held those at fault accountable, accepted the consequences and did what it could to compensate the victims, chances are I would still support MU.

Organizations aren't perfect. Even those dedicated to education and service. But when you fall short of your ideals, what matters is how you deal with it.

As usual, M92, a reasonable post from you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2019, 05:21:30 PM »
As usual, M92, a reasonable post from you.

Yeah, sorry. I should know by now that has no place here.

In all seriousness, it's a great question. I would hope that the situation at Penn State made administrators and alumni alike take a hard look at what's most important, and how they came to enable and protect someone like Sandusky (who was eventually convicted on 45 counts of child molestation) for so long (over the course of at least 15 years).
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2019, 07:24:07 AM »
What would your reaction be if Marquette replaced Wojo with Pitino?  Sampson?  Pearl? Miller, after Arizona let's him go? Any other known cheater? If they ran an academic scam like UNC did? 

There was discomfort with Buzz.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »
What would your reaction be if Marquette replaced Wojo with Pitino?  Sampson?  Pearl? Miller, after Arizona let's him go? Any other known cheater? If they ran an academic scam like UNC did? 

There was discomfort with Buzz.

Wouldn't be happy about it. But probably wouldn't stop being a fan.

I am not a Pearl or Pitino fan, but their sins come nowhere near the level of what happened at Penn State. There is a huge difference between NCAA violations and covering up a pedophile who abuses children.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2019, 09:06:50 AM »
Getting rid of poverty vow would help then, too, I suppose

Ignorant
Few priest have a poverty vow, please.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 01:12:56 PM by Mr. Sand-Knit »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »

Well said, essentially the same thing i said so i agree with u !!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2019, 09:27:14 AM »
Where are the MLK posts?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American