collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129797 times)

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #2775 on: March 30, 2020, 11:11:32 AM »
Umm well...that decision by Jerry Falwell Jr. to re-open Liberty University and have the kids on campus...well...uh...er...uh...it isn't going so swell.

Over a dozen kids already sick.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/29/us/politics/coronavirus-liberty-university-falwell.html#click=https://t.co/sglQgqzqo8

Opening up your campus and letting some of your students die to....own the libs?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2776 on: March 30, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »
Words matter, actions matter:

https://twitter.com/JamilSmith/status/1244630999993966598?s=19
Another example of the "outstanding leadership" 4ever talked about.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2777 on: March 30, 2020, 11:15:00 AM »
But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.
Plays like a documentary these days
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2778 on: March 30, 2020, 11:21:04 AM »
Cutting the pandemic response team was outstanding leadership. Why would we need that?

Having many experts trying to warn him about what was coming and refusing to listen. Why would we look at what was already happening throughout the world and prepare accordingly? Outstanding leadership.

Minimizing the risks, claiming this will just go away, etc. has totally served this country perfectly. What great leadership.

Honestly how anybody, regardless of political alignment, can think the “leader” of what was once the greatest country in the world has completely failed to lead this country when it comes to the coronavirus is beyond me. He couldn’t have possibly handled this any worse, and he had the benefit of seeing it play out in other countries before it even arrived here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2780 on: March 30, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »
This is what I was referencing

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/opinions/coronavirus-personal-protective-equipment-obeidallah/index.html
Heck, I have no problem with the aspect of sending the material to where it was needed at the time.  The problem was that there was no response, no recognition, of the need that would be coming here and gearing up accordingly.  That was never done.

U.S. Intelligence was briefing the president throughout January and February that this was almost certainly a global pandemic.  I dunno, maybe he doesn't know the U.S. is part of the globe, or maybe there was magical thinking that we were somehow immune.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2781 on: March 30, 2020, 12:11:05 PM »
When I read this post
I confess to LOL
But wish she led us

Not sure what you could have expected one of the most tested politicians of our lifetime could have expected to do differently in these circumstances.

LON

• All American
« Reply #2782 on: March 30, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
Not sure what you could have expected one of the most tested politicians of our lifetime could have expected to do differently in these circumstances.

Not lie? Fairly low bar to achieve I would think. But here we are.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2783 on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:42 PM »
Historically many Presidents get an initial bump in approval ratings during a crisis. Jimmy Carter's approval rating increased 26% during the first few months if the Iran hostage crisis for example. By contrast Trump's approval rating has stayed relatively flat to his predecessors who received much larger bumps.

Here are Cuomo's favorability ratings by comparison:

His increased 54% from February to March. And he has a 71% favorability rating overall, 87% from New Yorkers.

https://twitter.com/adam_brew/status/1244663103087874049?s=19

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2784 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »

First of all, he/she would not have eliminated the pandemic response team two years earlier.

Second, he/she would have listened to their recommendations.

Third, he/she would have followed their recommendations.

So...putting experts in the right places, and listening to them when they give you advice.

Oh, yeah -- and he/she would have been honest with the American public.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2785 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
Heck, I have no problem with the aspect of sending the material to where it was needed at the time.  The problem was that there was no response, no recognition, of the need that would be coming here and gearing up accordingly.  That was never done.

U.S. Intelligence was briefing the president throughout January and February that this was almost certainly a global pandemic.  I dunno, maybe he doesn't know the U.S. is part of the globe, or maybe there was magical thinking that we were somehow immune.

Especially considering that he later claimed to be the first one to realize it was a pandemic, long before the WHO or CDC did.

He is the Jim Lovitz SNL character Tommy Flanagan. "I dated Morgan Fairchild. Yeah. That's the ticket!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2786 on: March 30, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »

First of all, he/she would not have eliminated the pandemic response team two years earlier.

Second, he/she would have listened to their recommendations.

Third, he/she would have followed their recommendations.

So...putting experts in the right places, and listening to them when they give you advice.

Oh, yeah -- and he/she would have been honest with the American public.

I would have thought my sarcasm was obvious. Clinton was clearly more ready to be president than just about every politician that came before her at every level of the federal government.

We would have had deaths here, but it would not be for lack of preparation, transparency, inter agency and federal/state communication.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #2787 on: March 30, 2020, 01:32:19 PM »
I would have thought my sarcasm was obvious. Clinton was clearly more ready to be president than just about every politician that came before her at every level of the federal government.

We would have had deaths here, but it would not be for lack of preparation, transparency, inter agency and federal/state communication.

In an attempt to connect with the average citizen, I bet her advisory quarantine notices would have been sent from her private email.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2788 on: March 30, 2020, 01:42:10 PM »

My bad.

And I agree with every word you said above.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2789 on: March 30, 2020, 01:56:42 PM »
Drug companies are starting to get some things into the hands of docs for testing.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/248421/20200328/covid-19-patients-show-sign-progress-after-taking-in-development-hiv-and-breast-cancer-drug-now-free-from-ventilators.htm

Fingers crossed that more stuff like this takes hold and really starts to move the needle. Even reducing the amount of time on ventilator would be a big help to lessening the burden on ICUs.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2790 on: March 30, 2020, 03:24:56 PM »
Drug companies are starting to get some things into the hands of docs for testing.

https://www.techtimes.com/articles/248421/20200328/covid-19-patients-show-sign-progress-after-taking-in-development-hiv-and-breast-cancer-drug-now-free-from-ventilators.htm

Fingers crossed that more stuff like this takes hold and really starts to move the needle. Even reducing the amount of time on ventilator would be a big help to lessening the burden on ICUs.

Yep - great to see progress.

J&J also hopes to begin clinical trials of a coronavirus vaccine by September.

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-announces-a-lead-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19-landmark-new-partnership-with-u-s-department-of-health-human-services-and-commitment-to-supply-one-billion-vaccines-worldwide-for-emergency-pandemic-use

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2791 on: March 30, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
This is great news if we follow through. 

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/490166-foxs-boothe-wh-looking-into-random-coronavirus-test-sampling-of-us-population

Lots of signals that the health crisis is getting more and real attention.  To me those are this, the docs communicating the severity of the death potential, trump referencing an unmitigated scenario.  Not good but positive developments that get us through this. 

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #2792 on: March 30, 2020, 07:27:43 PM »
Here are Cuomo's favorability ratings by comparison:

His increased 54% from February to March. And he has a 71% favorability rating overall, 87% from New Yorkers.

https://twitter.com/adam_brew/status/1244663103087874049?s=19

Lest anyone think it's an apples to oranges comparison, most people of either stripe in the NYC metro think Cuomo is a blowhard, grandstanding, buffoonish narcissist born on third base with a silver spoon.    Sound familiar?

Even in the reality that it is your default disposition a large majority of people will respond positively to your efforts so long as your empathic, honest, sincere, and earnest. One guy embraced it. The other did not. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2793 on: March 30, 2020, 07:43:17 PM »
This is direct from White House.gov's transcript:

Q    Thank you, Mr. President.  You said several times that the United States has ramped up testing.  I’ll just talk a little quicker — or a little louder.

Mr. President, you said several times that the United States has ramped up testing, but the United States is still not testing per capita as many people as other countries like South Korea.  Why is that?  And when do you think that that number will be on par with other countries?

And Dr. —

THE PRESIDENT:  Yeah, well, it’s — it’s very much on par.

Q    Not per capita —

THE PRESIDENT:  Look — look — per capita.  We have areas of country that’s very tight.  I know South Korea better than anybody.  It’s a — very tight.  Do you know how many people are in Seoul? Do you know how big the city of Seoul is?

Q    But the question is about (inaudible).

THE PRESIDENT:  Thirty-eight million people. That’s bigger than anything we have.  Thirty-eight million people all tightly wound together.

We have vast farmlands.  We have vast areas where they don’t have much of a problem.  In some cases, they have no problem whatsoever.  We have done more tests.  What I didn’t — I didn’t talk about per capita.  We have done more tests, by far, than any country in the world, by far.

Our testing is also better than any country in the world.  And when you look at that, as simple as that looks, that’s something that’s a game changer, and every country wants that.  Every country.

So rather than asking a question like that, you should congratulate the people that have done this testing, because we inherited — this administration inherited a broken system, a system that was obsolete, a system that didn’t work.  It was okay for a tiny, small group of people, but once you got beyond that, it didn’t work.

We have built an incredible system to the fact, where we have now done more tests than any other country in the world.  And now the technology is really booming.

I just spoke to — well, I spoke to a lot.  I’m not going to even mention.  I spoke to a number of different testing companies today, and the job that they’ve done and the job that they’re doing is incredible.

---------------------------------------

What is Seoul's population?  It's 9.7 million.  The metro area is 25 million.  But for absolutely no reason at all he feels the need to tell the American people that he knows South Korea better than anyone.  How does this help?  And then he's wrong.  And that doesn't even matter because of our last 7-8 Presidents, I would guess only Obama and maybe GHWB would know that population.  But why introduce it into the talk.  It serves no good.  In a crisis he's bragging about his South Korea knowledge.  We have never seen this.   I am a life long GOPer and I just face palm every time he talks.  It's unreal. 
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 08:05:13 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #2794 on: March 30, 2020, 07:48:48 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamTaylorBates/status/1244749627745845254?s=20

Trump just said Seoul has "38 million people" in it. That's such an oddly wrong and yet specific number, I did a google search for Seoul.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2795 on: March 30, 2020, 08:22:54 PM »
In another thread someone pointed out that Abbott labs created a quick test and can pump out 50k a day. Awesome, right?
Just think in 20 short years, they will have produced enough to test everyone in America.....once.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #2796 on: March 30, 2020, 08:25:26 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamTaylorBates/status/1244749627745845254?s=20

Trump just said Seoul has "38 million people" in it. That's such an oddly wrong and yet specific number, I did a google search for Seoul.

The dude seriously needs to learn to say "I don't know" or just shut his mouth when he doesn't know something. He starts sentences without knowing where he will end up, and just keeps going.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2797 on: March 30, 2020, 08:44:46 PM »
This is significant.

@StarTribune: The University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic are close to unveiling antibody tests that can determine if people have already been infected by the coronavirus that caused COVID-19 and are no longer threats to get or spread the infection. http://strib.mn/3bAks3J

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2798 on: March 30, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »
This is significant.

@StarTribune: The University of Minnesota and Mayo Clinic are close to unveiling antibody tests that can determine if people have already been infected by the coronavirus that caused COVID-19 and are no longer threats to get or spread the infection. http://strib.mn/3bAks3J

Now this would be absolutely massive
Maigh Eo for Sam

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #2799 on: March 30, 2020, 09:00:35 PM »