[Today at 10:48:22 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by MUbiz
[Today at 10:38:12 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 10:31:55 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by lawdog77
[Today at 07:08:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 71226 times)

Bricky

• Starter
  • sparkle sparkle
Re: Vander to the NBA draft
« Reply #300 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:37 AM »

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #301 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:42 AM »
I was referencing the fact that they looked at what Florida's chances would be for the next year and decided to come back.  I said that in response to The Lens saying "What does a Top 10 team have to do with anything?  He's not a fan.  He's making a life choice.  I would never expect a kid to evaluate his decision based on the team's possibilities."

I understand what you were saying completely. What does it have to do with anything? So MU can be good next year, and the UF players made the decision they made, why should that have any impact on Vander Blue's decision on what to do with his life? It's completely irrelevant.

PaintTouchesSays

[PaintTouches]Blue forgoes senior year, enters NBA draft
« Reply #302 on: April 16, 2013, 09:00:20 AM »
Blue forgoes senior year, enters NBA draft

Written by: Mark Strotman

Marquette junior Vander Blue  will forgo his senior year and declare for the 2013 NBA draft. He plans to hire an agent and will not have the possibility of returning to school. Blue expressed his gratitude towards the university in … Continue reading →

http://painttouches.com/2013/04/16/blue-forgoes-senior-year-enters-nba-draft/

chapman

• All American
« Reply #303 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:16 AM »
Agree. If Wilson left it'd be a much bigger blow

Yep.  I think he can do even more to improve his stock with one more year than Blue could have.  But I would get it a little more since he's graduating.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA
« Reply #304 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:21 AM »
I get it. But seriously, stop acting like he's a pauper.

I'm acting like he's tired of playing on college and wants to take the next step in hiis career. But yet again, "stop acting like he's a pauper," Really? My guess would be that you have a well paying job, retirement account, college funds started, etc...maybe not, but extremely easy for you to say that.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 09:04:55 AM by NavinRJohnson »

Dreadman24

• Team Captain
« Reply #305 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:44 AM »
Haha you guys seem so shocked and upset. I told all of you MONTHS ago that he was entering the draft. That's the only reason JJJ signed!! And for all you Vander Blue haters he will get drafted and have a career in the NBA! It's all about potential and Vander has tons of it at only 20 YEARS OLD. That's what he has going for him and it mean a lot to NBA scouts. Good move Vander!

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #306 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
Why is everyone so sure that if he comes back next year, where he is limited in the amount of time he can put in to improve himself, he automatically betters his position?

I know it can happen that way. But, do we have statistics that back up what appears to be a pretty big assumption?

His stock is high now. It might be higher now than it will be in a year. If that is the case, maybe now is the time to go.

Eitherway, the decision won't be "right" or "wrong" until later. Until then, I wish him the best, thank him for the hard work, and hope he makes the NBA. If he doesn't, I hope he makes some money somewhere.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #307 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:22 AM »
I think it is a mistake. He is quoted as saying that he consulted family on it, but it would seem he didn't mention anything about Buzz or NBA advice. Also, if someone else leaves could it be a sign of trouble with regards to the program?
Goal is National Championship

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #308 on: April 16, 2013, 09:02:29 AM »
In what is only an opinion, I think this is a bad move. But Van, work your butt off and I won't care if you make me look bad. Thanks for the memories, and best of luck!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #309 on: April 16, 2013, 09:04:31 AM »
Good luck Vander.  You grew up a lot in the last year, especially from a maturity stand point.  Hope it works out and you made the correct decision.  Can't fault anyone for pursuing their dreams, I just hope the timing is right to make sure those dreams are within reach this year rather than next.

frozena pizza

• All American
Re: Rumors of Vander leaving
« Reply #310 on: April 16, 2013, 09:05:05 AM »
What does a Top 10 team have to do with anything?  He's not a fan.  He's making a life choice.  I would never expect a kid to evaluate his decision based on the team's possibilities.  That's selfish on our part.  Vander's busted his tail for 3 years, what does he owe us?  Good Luck Vander...prove 'em wrong.

Disagree.  You have to weigh the opportunities available by coming back versus going pro and the projected success of the team next year would have to be a factor in any college player's decision.  I can say objectively that any kid that declares for the draft without a pretty high certainty that he will be drafted in the frist round is taking a big risk.  There's nothing selfish about that.  

Of course, it is Vander's decision and and he owns this choice regardless of how it works out.  Hope he does well and if so that is good for the program over the long term.  We will move on and be fine, but this is a big blow to a team that would have been top 10 next year.

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2013, 09:05:32 AM »
I understand what you were saying completely. What does it have to do with anything? So MU can be good next year, and the UF players made the decision they made, why should that have any impact on Vander Blue's decision on what to do with his life? It's completely irrelevant.

It shouldn't and wouldn't affect Vander's decision.  It's relevant to the conversation because he used the general statement saying he wouldn't expect a kid to make a decision based on his team's potential and the Florida example is a direct counter to that statement.  

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:06 AM »
When he goes undrafted, will the "green room" forever be referred to as the "Blue room?"

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #313 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:23 AM »
Anyone who says he should have stayed doesn't realize how weak this years draft is, and that Vander's stock is as high as it will probably get without a MONSTER senior year.

Good luck to him.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #314 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:36 AM »

These guys aren't at MU (or anywhere else) to go to school, they're there to play basketball. That's what they care about. He sees his chance to take a step forward and he's taking it.

Broad statement, most of them actually are there to go to school because most of them know this is the end of the line for basketball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #315 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »
I think it is a mistake. He is quoted as saying that he consulted family on it, but it would seem he didn't mention anything about Buzz or NBA advice. Also, if someone else leaves could it be a sign of trouble with regards to the program?

So because it wasn't in the quote you think he didn't talk to Buzz? Marquette put feelers in to the NBA a week ago. I have no doubt that Blue consulted with Buzz and they took into account what the NBA committee was saying. I don't believe he leaves without feeling confident he'll be drafted.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #316 on: April 16, 2013, 09:06:49 AM »
You're making a big mistake Victor Pulak.... a big mistake.

I echo people who said they are more worried about what it means for Vander's career than our team next year.  I really hope this doesn't backfire on him.  If he makes a team and sticks, it's good for both him and MU in the long run.

I agree putting another player in the NBA would be great for recruiting for MU.    Though I have to wonder if having a shot at the final four might not have benn better.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:28 AM »
Been busy with other stuff the last 12 hours so I completely missed this. Wow. I think Vander will end up being a late-first to early-second round NBA pick. He'll make a team and stick. I know many are still down on his chances because of his first two years but those people aren't realizing that when your needle is trending this high up further improvement is to be expected, and that is what some NBA GM will bank on.

Many thought Vander wouldn't get a lot of time early, but his defense got him on the court. People said he couldn't finish at the rim, but he became one of the best in the conference at it this year. People still say he can't shoot, but he's very accurate inside the arc and has improved his 3P% every year.

Best of luck to Vander, I do feel we just went from a title contender and top-5 team to somewhere in the 12-15 range. Really gut-punched by this, but I can't begrudge him because I'm sure he's just trying to make the best decision for himself. That he chose to declare tells me Marquette got positive feedback from NBA scouts and GMs in regards to Vander's stock. You still my boy, Blue.

My thoughts exactly.  We'll still be a very good team, but we went from a Final Four caliber team to a fringe contender.  I hope Duane and Jajuan are ready to carry some of the scoring load.  And I really hope Vander gets drafted so that I won't forever wonder what could have been.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #318 on: April 16, 2013, 09:08:09 AM »
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/324159959405305858

"Rough break 4 Marquette as Vander Blue will enter draft and sign w agent. Borderline prospect but prob wouldn't boost stock if he came back."

At least one analyst doesn't believe another year would help any. I wonder if this was the info he was getting from sources. Makes sense to go, if so.

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #319 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:23 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  We'll still be a very good team, but we went from a Final Four caliber team to a fringe contender.  I hope Duane and Jajuan are ready to carry some of the scoring load.  And I really hope Vander gets drafted so that I won't forever wonder what could have been.

I think regardless if he gets drafted, we'll all wonder what could have been

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #320 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:28 AM »
Broad statement, most of them actually are there to go to school because most of them know this is the end of the line for basketball.

That's sort of correct. When I say 'these guys' I am referring to he Vander Blues of the world, as opposed to the Jake Thomases.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #321 on: April 16, 2013, 09:09:45 AM »
https://twitter.com/SethDavisHoops/status/324159959405305858

"Rough break 4 Marquette as Vander Blue will enter draft and sign w agent. Borderline prospect but prob wouldn't boost stock if he came back."

At least one analyst doesn't believe another year would help any. I wonder if this was the info he was getting from sources. Makes sense to go, if so.

Hey this is exactly what I said.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
Theres 2  to 3 kids very excited right now, Mayo, Wilson and Johnson, playing time is available, and Burton and Taylor have to be excited with Anderson leaving.  MU will be fine next
year.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #323 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:29 AM »
I agree putting another player in the NBA would be great for recruiting for MU.    Though I have to wonder if having a shot at the final four might not have benn better.

Come on. You can't sit there and bank your decision on a final four. Too many things our of your control.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #324 on: April 16, 2013, 09:10:53 AM »
Please, Jamil. Don't declare.

feedback