Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 71431 times)

Eldon

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
Decades in advance, this GI JOE PSA amazingly foretold our sentiments to this event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phFgCLguSNI

thehammock

• Scholarship Player
Re: Vander to the NBA draft
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2013, 08:49:32 AM »
Woeffel talked to jamil yesterday...if jamil gets positive feedback from NBA people...he will leave also.

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
What does a Top 10 team have to do with anything?  He's not a fan.  He's making a life choice.  I would never expect a kid to evaluate his decision based on the team's possibilities.  That's selfish on our part.  Vander's busted his tail for 3 years, what does he owe us?  Good Luck Vander...prove 'em wrong.

What about the Florida guys who looked what could be for the next year and came back?

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:14 AM »
A shooting guard who can't shoot. Not sure too many NBA teams are lining up for that. Hope he's ready to spend some serious time in the D League.

MUfan12

• All American
Re: Rumors of Vander leaving
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Well there goes our FF run.

Disagree. He's easier to replace than Jae and DJ were. He had a great run in February and March, but those guys were simply better players.

Whole lotta talent coming in. They'll be able to replace his scoring fairly easily.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #280 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »
I just love all you guys talking about how comb this is, and how much smarter it would be for him to come back for his Senior season. That is so easy for all of you to say, because you want MU to be good. Maybe he doesn't want to go to college anymore. Maybe he's sick of playing for free. The guy can go make a solid living in Europe if the NBA doesn't work out, and he knows it. What's wrong with that, aside from the fact that it makes MU worse, which is what so many of you seem to care about most.

These guys aren't at MU (or anywhere else) to go to school, they're there to play basketball. That's what they care about. He sees his chance to take a step forward and he's taking it.

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #281 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:52 AM »
What does a Top 10 team have to do with anything?  He's not a fan.  He's making a life choice.  I would never expect a kid to evaluate his decision based on the team's possibilities.  That's selfish on our part.  Vander's busted his tail for 3 years, what does he owe us?  Good Luck Vander...prove 'em wrong.

I really really hope he gets drafted and can stick but he's likely a second round pick at best.  He's taking a pretty big gamble with this move.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #282 on: April 16, 2013, 08:50:59 AM »
Good luck Vander.  The Idaho Stampede awaits your arrival.  

Its your decision and not those of internet forum pundits, but not one mock draft, not one pro scouting service, anything has you as a first rounder this year.  

Hate to see you leave with the potential class of next year, what could have been.

What still will be.  We will reload and by fine.   He wont be playing in Idaho trust me.

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #283 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:21 AM »
Exactly. Is next year's class really that scary?

He may have a tougher time getting in with the One-and-Done pool being MUCH better than this year's.  

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #284 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:36 AM »
Signing with an agent as well....

4th and State

• Starter
« Reply #285 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:48 AM »
Disagree. He's easier to replace than Jae and DJ were. He had a great run in February and March, but those guys were simply better players.

Whole lotta talent coming in. They'll be able to replace his scoring fairly easily.

I guess I don't have as much faith in freshman as you do.

See Vander's freshman year......

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #286 on: April 16, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »

Well said Lenz

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #287 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:06 AM »
What about the Florida guys who looked what could be for the next year and came back?

One was the son of a NBA player, the other of a model and tennis pro.  A lot easier for them to give it the ole college try.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
« Reply #288 on: April 16, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
Woeffel talked to jamil yesterday...if jamil gets positive feedback from NBA people...he will leave also.

This would be way more of a disaster

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #289 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »

What about them? Could not be more irrelevant.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #290 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:14 AM »
I just love all you guys talking about how comb this is, and how much smarter it would be for him to come back for his Senior season. That is so easy for all of you to say, because you want MU to be good. Maybe he doesn't want to go to college anymore. Maybe he's sick of playing for free. The guy can go make a solid living in Europe if the NBA doesn't work out, and he knows it. What's wrong with that, aside from the fact that it makes MU worse, which is what so many of you seem to care about most.

These guys aren't at MU (or anywhere else) to go to school, they're there to play basketball. That's what they care about. He sees his chance to take a step forward and he's taking it.

Euro money will always be there. The argument being made is he has a better NBA chance after another year if growth and being the premier player on a top 10 team.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #291 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:07 AM »

This would be way more of a disaster
Agree. If Wilson left it'd be a much bigger blow

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #292 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »

Huh??? He's a shooting guard who can't shoot. That's the reality.

TheDOC816

• Starter
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:12 AM »
What about them? Could not be more irrelevant.

I was referencing the fact that they looked at what Florida's chances would be for the next year and decided to come back.  I said that in response to The Lens saying "What does a Top 10 team have to do with anything?  He's not a fan.  He's making a life choice.  I would never expect a kid to evaluate his decision based on the team's possibilities."

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #294 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:23 AM »
Euro money will always be there. The argument being made is he has a better NBA chance after another year if growth and being the premier player on a top 10 team.

That's great. Again, extremely easy for you to say.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #295 on: April 16, 2013, 08:57:46 AM »
You're making a big mistake Victor Pulak.... a big mistake.

I echo people who said they are more worried about what it means for Vander's career than our team next year.  I really hope this doesn't backfire on him.  If he makes a team and sticks, it's good for both him and MU in the long run.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #296 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:36 AM »
That's great. Again, extremely easy for you to say.

I get it. But seriously, stop acting like he's a pauper.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #297 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
Best of luck to Vander!  What an exciting time in his life!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #298 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:51 AM »
Been busy with other stuff the last 12 hours so I completely missed this. Wow. I think Vander will end up being a late-first to early-second round NBA pick. He'll make a team and stick. I know many are still down on his chances because of his first two years but those people aren't realizing that when your needle is trending this high up further improvement is to be expected, and that is what some NBA GM will bank on.

Many thought Vander wouldn't get a lot of time early, but his defense got him on the court. People said he couldn't finish at the rim, but he became one of the best in the conference at it this year. People still say he can't shoot, but he's very accurate inside the arc and has improved his 3P% every year.

Best of luck to Vander, I do feel we just went from a title contender and top-5 team to somewhere in the 12-15 range. Really gut-punched by this, but I can't begrudge him because I'm sure he's just trying to make the best decision for himself. That he chose to declare tells me Marquette got positive feedback from NBA scouts and GMs in regards to Vander's stock. You still my boy, Blue.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #299 on: April 16, 2013, 08:59:29 AM »
I guess I don't have as much faith in freshman as you do.

See Vander's freshman year......

That's the beauty of it. None of them will have to be "the guy" right away. Taylor's production will increase. Would think Jamil's numbers will go up as well. JJJ and Duane won't have to carry the scoring load. Takes a lot of pressure off them.