[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander to the NBA draft  (Read 70861 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Vander to the NBA draft
« Reply #475 on: April 16, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
OK, so interesting discussion with a friend of mine at DraftExpress.  They put people in their mock that they believe are coming out or there is any possibility of him coming out based on feedback from GMs, etc.  They did not think Vander was coming out and neither did the GMs they spoke to, that's why he wasn't in their mock.  I asked him if it was fair to say he was surprised and the answer was YES.  Consistent with what some of Hunt's sources and others in the media have said.

So, they might still ultimately put him in this mock draft for 2013, but they did not anticipate him coming out which is why he wasn't in this year's mock.  They concentrate on who they know is coming out or who is widely considered to come out....thus why so much surprise from so many that he has put his hat in the ring.

So Vander not being in 2013 mocks had NOTHING to do with his potential draft spot in 2013, but merely they didn't even consider him. He, theoretically, could be the #1 pick, but because they didn't think he was coming until 2014 means that he wasn't on the mocks. Therefore, any use of the 2013 mocks, until now, as evidence that he shouldn't come out is totally garbage.

Interesting to see what the revised mocks have after considering him.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #476 on: April 16, 2013, 04:36:02 PM »
Are you saying that your prediction is figuratively bold or merely pointing out that it is literally bold?

I took it both ways.

KenoshaWarrior

• All American
Re: [PaintTouches]Blue forgoes senior year, enters NBA draft
« Reply #477 on: April 16, 2013, 04:46:55 PM »
Mark me down as someone who thinks this is a huge plus for our program.

While I do think we would have been a better team in 2013-14 with Van (and Juan FWIW), I fully embrace the team's culture of next man up.  Let's face it, this was a better 'team' than last year's with Jae and DJO, and those guys were both better than Van.  And all signs point to having more in the incoming players as a whole than this year's team and I don't think it out of line to say that we could have as much success next year without Van as with him.

I think Mayo takes the next step (not much to couch that opinion in other than I know the talent is there) and we are really set at all the other positions on the team.

Bottom line is this is what prospects want to see, a chance to go to the NBA, and seeing a guy go early is even more to like.  Obviously every fan would like to see all players stay for four years and reach the maximum development for their team.  But thats just not how it is in today's college game.  

This is just one more sign of Marq trending to elite program status.

And for the folks all bent out of shape of "the reason why these kids go to college", its in part to prepare them for a professional career, whatever that career is.  In this case, for Van, its basketball.  I don't think anyone would argue Marq hasnt done that, with considerable work on his part.  If someone offered some computer IT genius who was a junior a mulit million dollar job in the corp world and their left their junior year, would you think differently about their decision and Marq's role in shaping that person for the future?

Plus a million!!!!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #478 on: April 16, 2013, 04:52:13 PM »
Just here to say I told ya'll,

and I hope Vander does well in the NBA.

WRK5923's bold prediction: Vander goes Late 1st round.

You heard it here first, just like the Vander declaring news!

You still standing by your weight room tiff with Buzz and Vander?   :o

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #479 on: April 16, 2013, 04:55:01 PM »
So Vander not being in 2013 mocks had NOTHING to do with his potential draft spot in 2013, but merely they didn't even consider him. He, theoretically, could be the #1 pick, but because they didn't think he was coming until 2014 means that he wasn't on the mocks. Therefore, any use of the 2013 mocks, until now, as evidence that he shouldn't come out is totally garbage.

Interesting to see what the revised mocks have after considering him.

Not necessarily.  They go hand in hand in many respects....chicken and egg.  If they don't think you are coming out because you aren't good enough to come out yet....then they aren't going to rate you.  I have an interview with their head guy tonight, so what I stated earlier was from a buddy of mine that does work for them....their head guy might disagree with that assessment.

Will know more later tonight.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #480 on: April 16, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »
Not necessarily.  They go hand in hand in many respects....chicken and egg.  If they don't think you are coming out because you aren't good enough to come out yet....then they aren't going to rate you.  I have an interview with their head guy tonight, so what I stated earlier was from a buddy of mine that does work for them....their head guy might disagree with that assessment.

If all analysts are convinced that a player isn't coming out, they won't waste time putting them in any mock, regardless of the reason. You didn't clarify a reason. You simply stated he wasn't included in the mocks because they thought he would stay.

Their head guy might agree with your adjusted assessment. Based on your original statement, my statement was spot on. This was backed up by my hypothetical - if he could have been the #1 in 2013, but the analysts were convinced he wasn't coming out, they wouldn't have wasted their time putting him in the mock. Period.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:02:44 PM by jesmu84 »

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #481 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »
Not necessarily.  They go hand in hand in many respects....chicken and egg.  If they don't think you are coming out because you aren't good enough to come out yet....then they aren't going to rate you.  I have an interview with their head guy tonight, so what I stated earlier was from a buddy of mine that does work for them....their head guy might disagree with that assessment.

I look forward to it.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #482 on: April 16, 2013, 05:07:19 PM »

Sounds like a set up for equivocation. If Vander goes undrafted, the story can be, "see, we told you he was no good". If he is drafted, the line will be "We knew he was good, but our sources told us he was staying".CYA, and you're always right. Makes them even more unreliable and worthless than a coach's preseason poll.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #483 on: April 16, 2013, 05:12:23 PM »
If all analysts are convinced that a player isn't coming out, they won't waste time putting them in any mock, regardless of the reason. You didn't clarify a reason. You simply stated he wasn't included in the mocks because they thought he would stay.

Their head guy might agree with your adjusted assessment. Based on your original statement, my statement was spot on. This was backed up by my hypothetical - if he could have been the #1 in 2013, but the analysts were convinced he wasn't coming out, they wouldn't have wasted their time putting him in the mock. Period.

Jesu, I'll know more tonight.  I didn't write everything he told me, it's a bit more nuanced than that. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #484 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:15 PM »
Sounds like a set up for equivocation. If Vander goes undrafted, the story can be, "see, we told you he was no good". If he is drafted, the line will be "We knew he was good, but our sources told us he was staying".CYA, and you're always right. Makes them even more unreliable and worthless than a coach's preseason poll.

Resource allocation is part of it.  Or, it could just be they don't think he's good enough to be drafted as many "sources" and GMs the press have talked to today have also said.  You can spin it any way you want....it's already been proven time and time again what a piece of crap the preseason poll is...40% + aren't even ranked at the end of the year.  They should become weathermen with that terrible of a record.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #485 on: April 16, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
Jesu, I'll know more tonight.  I didn't write everything he told me, it's a bit more nuanced than that. 

Fair enough

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #486 on: April 16, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »
Just here to say I told ya'll,

and I hope Vander does well in the NBA.

WRK5923's bold prediction: Vander goes Late 1st round.

You heard it here first, just like the Vander declaring news!

Easy there scooter, don't get hurt patting yourself on the back.  ;)

wrk5923

• Walk-On
« Reply #487 on: April 16, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »
You still standing by your weight room tiff with Buzz and Vander?   :o

Absolutely, I think you guys over-analyzed what  I said. Obviously, there's no way to prove it, but whatever.

feedback