* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 07:39:39 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[Today at 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[Today at 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka  (Read 66153 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2021, 08:58:20 PM »
You know what to do....I miss Eric The Actor.
Bye for now! 

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2021, 10:17:52 PM »
Just the two bowls? I want someone who's truly committed to Marquette and understands the culture.

Every new coach needs a day filled with regret followed by a colon cleanse. A few days like that will really test the constitution of a man.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2021, 10:56:26 PM »
Agenda:

* Special, cheese and onions
* Second helping
* Whatever else is on his list
Double hot, all toppings

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 27, 2021, 11:04:12 PM »
This would be big.  We need DJ as well.

FWIW DJ has that same picture of Garcia and Lewis on his Instagram story with the caption “My young bulls”.

Who knows what any of it means? I’m hopeful.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #181 on: March 27, 2021, 11:14:58 PM »
These guys should be excited to play for Shaka. I’m hopeful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2021, 11:27:18 PM »
FWIW DJ has that same picture of Garcia and Lewis on his Instagram story with the caption “My young bulls”.

Who knows what any of it means? I’m hopeful.

At this point it would be a surprise if the 3 of them aren’t back.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2021, 11:34:23 PM »
At this point it would be a surprise if the 3 of them aren%u2019t back.

That would be fantastic.  Then priority 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 should be Jonas Aidoo.  After that I hope we keep our recruits, with Shaka's recruits, add a knockdown shooter,  a 6'5-6'7 switchable 2-4,  Elliott stays, and another badass impact transfer.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2021, 12:00:21 AM »
That would be fantastic.  Then priority 1,2, 3, 4, and 5 should be Jonas Aidoo.  After that I hope we keep our recruits, with Shaka's recruits, add a knockdown shooter,  a 6'5-6'7 switchable 2-4,  Elliott stays, and another badass impact transfer.

To be clear I have no inside info. The fact they haven't entered the portal and have all posted what appear to be very positive updates on social media gives me some confidence.

If Shaka can keep Aidoo and Mitchell, bring over a player or two that committed to him at Texas and bring in some talented transfers in addition to the big 3 that would be more than any of us imagined a week ago.

Doing ALL of that is probably unlikely but it doesn't seem to be a completely unrealistic possibility.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2021, 12:05:27 AM »
To be clear I have no inside info. The fact they haven't entered the portal and have all posted what appear to be very positive updates on social media gives me some confidence.

If Shaka can keep Aidoo and Mitchell, bring over a player or two that committed to him at Texas and bring in some talented transfers in addition to the big 3 that would be more than any of us imagined a week ago.

Doing ALL of that is probably unlikely but it doesn't seem to be a completely unrealistic possibility.

I agree on all counts.  No matter what happens by the time summer rolls around this will turn out to be an excellent week for Marquette basketball imao. 

1SE

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2021, 03:10:55 AM »
I wonder how much the immediate transfer rule this year prompted the timing of this move. No reason Shaka can't put.together a roster that can compete in year 1. Not.having a.down year in a transition would be amazing.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2021, 04:22:32 AM »
I agree on all counts.  No matter what happens by the time summer rolls around this will turn out to be an excellent week for Marquette basketball imao.
Completely agree...but if those 3 stay...Scholl pulled of one hell of a turnaround.  It's hard to argue, not knowing what the future of any coach would be at MU,  that this wasn't hands down the best solution for MU.  Given the fact that I also think Shaka is more likely than most to stay at MU if he has great success...I continue to be thrilled with the prospects.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 28, 2021, 04:52:37 AM »

Don't forget Tyrese Hunter. Bet he'd love to play at Marquette for Snacks.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 28, 2021, 05:02:01 AM »

You have the roll part right.  Looks like we're on a roll and not an onion roll.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2021, 07:22:39 AM »
As soon as Shaka became a donedeal, I thought there was an excellent chance that Lewis would return. And I thought the only reason Dawson wouldn't was if he had a longstanding relationship with the new Minnesota coach that he wanted to continue.

Hard to interpret what social media posts mean, but I'd put this in the "hopeful" pile that Shaka will have 2 down and 3 to go of the Marquette players/committed recruits who matter most from a basketball standpoint.

DJ? Who knows? I haven't seen a single interview or post of his that would suggest what he's thinking. The word when he was in the transfer portal a year ago was that he only wanted to do one year of college and then go pro. Was the caveat that he needed to feel he was a first-round pick (because he won't be)? Or is he just not enamored with college and wants to start earning money in Europe or the G-League? Or does he like the Marquette experience, as well as Lewis and Garcia, and want to give himself a chance to improve under a coach who has sent quite a few players to the NBA? Perhaps at least as importantly, in what direction are those who influence his thoughts steering him? I'll believe DJ is coming back (or leaving) when I see him officially say so.

Mitchell and Aidoo ... here's hoping.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #191 on: March 28, 2021, 07:28:01 AM »
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 28, 2021, 08:07:56 AM »
I think he prefers Oso not Osa
Oh? Make it so.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #193 on: March 28, 2021, 09:07:55 AM »
I wonder how much the immediate transfer rule this year prompted the timing of this move. No reason Shaka can't put.together a roster that can compete in year 1. Not.having a.down year in a transition would be amazing.

Shaka has never been one to take a lot of transfers. I hope he grabs at least one because even if he retains everyone and brings over some of his Texas recruits, I think we still need an upgrade on the wing.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #194 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:06 AM »
Shaka has never been one to take a lot of transfers. I hope he grabs at least one because even if he retains everyone and brings over some of his Texas recruits, I think we still need an upgrade on the wing.

Don't the new transfer rule change that. He could lose players to transfer leaving vacancies unfilled otherwise.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2021, 09:37:18 AM »

Well, there has never been an offseason like this in the history of college basketball. Lots of coaches will need to break their patterns to stay successful.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2021, 09:43:40 AM »
Well, there has never been an offseason like this in the history of college basketball. Lots of coaches will need to break their patterns to stay successful.

Except Gard of course.  He's a model in his own mind of what college basketball is all about.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2021, 09:46:10 AM »
Except Gard of course.  He's a model in his own mind of what college basketball is all about.

Him whining to Evan Flood on Friday about transfers then signing the kid from UNLV on Saturday required some serious mental gymnastics.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2021, 10:17:23 AM »
Him whining to Evan Flood on Friday about transfers then signing the kid from UNLV on Saturday required some serious mental gymnastics.

It is funny, though the kid is going to be a walk-on at Wisconsin
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2021, 10:59:56 AM »
Curious what people think for an ideal/perfect roster given what is currently available in the transfer portal, or rumored to be available. I'll take a stab at my list:

PG: Carton/Hunter/Mitchell
SG: Bates/Mitchell/Elliott
SF: Lewis/Joplin
PF: Garcia/Ighodaro
C: Aidoo/(Tre Mitchell)

Role Players: Akanno/Perez

Full 13 man roster. Obviously, a pipe dream, but tried to at least stick with players that are at least remotely connected to MU or Shaka. Tre Mitchell has no connection to MU, but we really need another C.

The advantage of this roster is the ability of players (Mitchell/Carton; Lewis/Joplin/Garcia) to play multiple positions to spread playing time around and shift style. Would like to see Shaka up the intensity and go 9 deep. This roster would allow him to do so.