[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka  (Read 63986 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka
« Reply #350 on: April 03, 2021, 10:46:56 PM »
I mean...standing up for your kids on social media isn’t exactly a point of pride. If the kid is upset by social media, he should probably stay off social media. It’s not hard.

Pretty stupid post.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #351 on: April 03, 2021, 10:48:14 PM »
That's the thing, she goes out of her way to seek out conversations and inject herself. You don't have to follow her to end up engaged in such an exchange. She goes out of her way to find fans to go after.

Exactly, let’s not make this out to be fans purposely engaging her when it’s the exact opposite.   Again, her son’s struggles aren’t an excuse for her bad behavior.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #352 on: April 03, 2021, 10:50:56 PM »
Pretty stupid post.

Not really.  Going after others on social media for your kid isn’t really the best way to handle a situation.  Someone posting on Twitter that DJ played lousy and having his mom jump in and engage with a fan to defend him is a bad look.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #353 on: April 03, 2021, 10:51:37 PM »
Pretty stupid post.

Not really. Just realistic.  Fighting your kid’s social media battles never works.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #354 on: April 03, 2021, 10:52:18 PM »
Not really.  Going after others on social media for your kid isn’t really the best way to handle a situation.  Someone posting on Twitter that DJ played lousy and having his mom jump in and engage with a fan to defend him is a bad look.

It’s not just a bad look. It’s counter productive.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 03, 2021, 10:55:00 PM »
Not really. Just realistic.  Fighting your kid’s social media battles never works.

I don't disagree with that but that wasn't really the point. Someone shouldn't have to stop doing something because other people are complete pieces of sh#t. It's just excusing that behavior.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 03, 2021, 10:58:01 PM »
I don't disagree with that but that wasn't really the point. Someone shouldn't have to stop doing something because other people are complete pieces of sh#t. It's just excusing that behavior.

The point is that people are going to be pieces of crap regardless. Standing up and fighting for your kid isn’t going to change that. It’s like fighting the tide. You just can’t win.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #357 on: April 03, 2021, 11:06:40 PM »
The point is that people are going to be pieces of crap regardless. Standing up and fighting for your kid isn’t going to change that. It’s like fighting the tide. You just can’t win.

Again, I don't take issue with that. The point I was disagreeing with is that DJ should stay off social because of it.  I see where you're coming from but I don't agree with it.

We also don't know if there's something more to it. Is she just being protective or is backing him up helpful for him?  Yeah, that probably sounds a little silly but I don't have the personal experience to know for sure.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #358 on: April 03, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »
That's the thing, she goes out of her way to seek out conversations and inject herself. You don't have to follow her to end up engaged in such an exchange. She goes out of her way to find fans to go after.

To piggyback off of this, people do not follow her: rather, she personally searches each and every mention of her son and attacks that person with the anger of 1,000 suns.  When I commented "who even cares anymore" on the @MarquetteMBB tweet after the Seton Hall loss (not necessary, definitely never saw Theo or DJ tagged in said tweet, but about as meh a tweet as you'll see on those threads), and Theo responded "STFU", DJ's mom was the one seeking out comments and telling ME to go to hell for....explaining to Theo that my apathy was with the coaching and not the players/that I always respected his willingness to play through injuries.  Basically that I was a "piece of crap" for not I guess "sticking to my guns"?  When my intent was certainly not to take personal cheap shots at individual players.

The irony is that just days before, when some monstrous troll was tagging DJ in tweets about how he sucks and should be ashamed of himself, EYE was the one coming to DJ's defense and reporting said troll for being a complete pretty boy.  I won't even begin to assume all that DJ goes through mentally, and it's admirable he's outspoken about it and has been a great representative of Marquette.  At the same time, DJ's mom is incredibly immature and toxic on a platform that is already reeking with immaturity and toxicity, and she would do herself and her son a gigantic favor by not engaging with every "DJ Carton" "D.J. Carton" "DeeJay Carton" manual twitter search she can find.

That CANNOT be healthy for her or for DJ to be fighting each and every idiot on twitter.  Like brew said, it brings unnecessary attention to things that otherwise would just be lost to the twitter void.  And the ones that do get traction are almost always dealt with by random, supportive Marquette fans who always have DJ's back.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:21:54 PM by onepostdavis »

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #359 on: April 03, 2021, 11:29:04 PM »
Thank goodness she’s not on MU scoop

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #360 on: April 04, 2021, 06:17:21 AM »
the last few pages of this string of posts should be deleted... 🤪

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #361 on: April 04, 2021, 07:40:13 AM »
the last few pages of this string of posts should be deleted... 🤪

Seconded.
Bashing a player's mom, no matter how righteous you think you are, is very Badger fan-esque of Scoop.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #362 on: April 04, 2021, 08:42:21 AM »
Yet another scoop thread gone of the rails. Who could have predicted?

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #363 on: April 04, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
Agreed that Cuonzo is likely our biggest competition. May have just be lip service, but Shaka briefly mentioned that he has already reached out to "future recruits" about how Marquette is a great place. I would assume that means David, Tamar, and Emarion Ellis.

Bummer about Aidoo, but that one felt tenuous as it was. Hopefully he reconsiders--but it feels like that ship has sailed. Admittedly, given his track record I have full faith in Shaka's ability to recruit impact bigs.
Missouri just picked up three guard transfers.  I don't know much about the rest of their roster, but this could lessen their need for Bates.
Ball State transfer Jarron Coleman picks the Tigers (msn.com)

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #364 on: April 04, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »
Bates and Joplin are Shaka’s first tests as coach and I expect him to pass.  Both seem to want to play for Shaka and have to assume Marquette is now the leader for both.   I will be surprised if both don’t end up here.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 04, 2021, 12:37:02 PM »
Bates and Joplin are Shaka’s first tests as coach and I expect him to pass.  Both seem to want to play for Shaka and have to assume Marquette is now the leader for both.   I will be surprised if both don’t end up here.

Agree on all of this.

Come to Milwaukee, young men. The sun always shines, it's always warm, the Greek gets his Freak on, and Shaka is the new king.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #366 on: April 04, 2021, 03:10:13 PM »
To piggyback off of this, people do not follow her: rather, she personally searches each and every mention of her son and attacks that person with the anger of 1,000 suns.  When I commented "who even cares anymore" on the @MarquetteMBB tweet after the Seton Hall loss (not necessary, definitely never saw Theo or DJ tagged in said tweet, but about as meh a tweet as you'll see on those threads), and Theo responded "STFU", DJ's mom was the one seeking out comments and telling ME to go to hell for....explaining to Theo that my apathy was with the coaching and not the players/that I always respected his willingness to play through injuries.  Basically that I was a "piece of crap" for not I guess "sticking to my guns"?  When my intent was certainly not to take personal cheap shots at individual players.

The irony is that just days before, when some monstrous troll was tagging DJ in tweets about how he sucks and should be ashamed of himself, EYE was the one coming to DJ's defense and reporting said troll for being a complete pretty boy.  I won't even begin to assume all that DJ goes through mentally, and it's admirable he's outspoken about it and has been a great representative of Marquette.  At the same time, DJ's mom is incredibly immature and toxic on a platform that is already reeking with immaturity and toxicity, and she would do herself and her son a gigantic favor by not engaging with every "DJ Carton" "D.J. Carton" "DeeJay Carton" manual twitter search she can find.

That CANNOT be healthy for her or for DJ to be fighting each and every idiot on twitter.  Like brew said, it brings unnecessary attention to things that otherwise would just be lost to the twitter void.  And the ones that do get traction are almost always dealt with by random, supportive Marquette fans who always have DJ's back.

She thanks you for mansplaining how she should deal with criticism of her son.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 04, 2021, 04:10:55 PM »
I know it...don’t tweet at players and family members....nothing good will come of it

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 04, 2021, 05:41:06 PM »
I know it...don’t tweet at players and family members....nothing good will come of it

This right here.   

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 04, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »
This right here.
Even better. Don't Twitter at all. IT IS A CESSPOOL OF  NON CRITICAL THINKING
people.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #370 on: April 04, 2021, 06:03:11 PM »
Wish we had player news from Shacka instead of the garbage spewed here.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #371 on: April 04, 2021, 06:07:26 PM »
Both Gates and Joplin would be prime time gets for MU.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #372 on: April 05, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »
Boring anymore announcements the roster currently stands at:

Guards Returning: DJ Carton, Greg Elliott, Dexter Akanno, Jose Perez
Guards Incoming: Stevie Mitchell, Kam Jones

Forwards Returning: Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia, Oso

I took the positions of Marquette’s roster. As it currently stands the roster is heavy guard but talent wise has 2 of the best players forwards which will help. There are 4 open slots.

Recruits with interest:
Tamar Bates SG 6’4” 175 56th ranked (quoted saying he was committed to Shaka)
David Joplin PF 6’7” 215 114 ranked (Lives in Brookfield was interested playing at Marquette but no offer came)
Jonas Aidoo C 6’11” 215 60 ranked (Opened recruiting but Stevie Mitchell still talks with him and is hopeful he joins)

Transfers with interest I have only listed those that we have made short lists not initial feelers to: 
Noah Gurley F 6’8” 210 from Furman (top 8 with power teams)

If anyone has other transfers or recruits that we become serious players with let me know and I’ll update. All players on current roster assumed to be returning until otherwise stated.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 05, 2021, 12:30:53 PM »
Boring anymore announcements the roster currently stands at:

Guards Returning: DJ Carton, Greg Elliott, Dexter Akanno, Jose Perez
Guards Incoming: Stevie Mitchell, Kam Jones

Forwards Returning: Justin Lewis, Dawson Garcia, Oso

I took the positions of Marquette’s roster. As it currently stands the roster is heavy guard but talent wise has 2 of the best players forwards which will help. There are 4 open slots.

Recruits with interest:
Tamar Bates SG 6’4” 175 56th ranked (quoted saying he was committed to Shaka)
David Joplin PF 6’7” 215 114 ranked (Lives in Brookfield was interested playing at Marquette but no offer came)
Jonas Aidoo C 6’11” 215 60 ranked (Opened recruiting but Stevie Mitchell still talks with him and is hopeful he joins)

Transfers with interest I have only listed those that we have made short lists not initial feelers to: 
Noah Gurley F 6’8” 210 from Furman (top 8 with power teams)

If anyone has other transfers or recruits that we become serious players with let me know and I’ll update. All players on current roster assumed to be returning until otherwise stated.

I threw some in the Recruiting thread as well for transfers.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.