[April 26, 2024, 10:00:30 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka  (Read 65192 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Let's talk about the roster/recruits w/Shaka
« Reply #300 on: March 30, 2021, 09:10:09 AM »
I think it is interesting that we have heard from Kam but nothing from Stevie.

It seems to me that Kam might be a better fit for what Shaka wants from guards with his size and length.  Bates also fits that description.  Mitchell as I recall is shorter and isn't considered as athletic.

He's basically a Gillespie style player with more athleticism. Which I would take every day.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #301 on: March 30, 2021, 09:36:52 AM »
Long line for Tamar Bates:

Tipton reports Bates being contacted by Kentucky, Mizzou, Gonzaga, Washington and Illinois.

No mention of MU yet.

I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. Shaka may be giving a bit of space to respect Texas.

He mentioned wanting to play for an African-American head coach. I would think Missouri is our biggest competition based on that and the fact he’s from Kansas City.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #302 on: March 30, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »
I wouldn’t put too much stock in that. Shaka may be giving a bit of space to respect Texas.

He mentioned wanting to play for an African-American head coach. I would think Missouri is our biggest competition based on that and the fact he’s from Kansas City.

Agreed that Cuonzo is likely our biggest competition. May have just be lip service, but Shaka briefly mentioned that he has already reached out to "future recruits" about how Marquette is a great place. I would assume that means David, Tamar, and Emarion Ellis.

Bummer about Aidoo, but that one felt tenuous as it was. Hopefully he reconsiders--but it feels like that ship has sailed. Admittedly, given his track record I have full faith in Shaka's ability to recruit impact bigs.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #303 on: March 30, 2021, 05:45:38 PM »
Sign me up for bringing in Bates.

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #304 on: April 02, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1377659585721425924?s=20

His reply to his comments might give an idea into what  Dawson needs to think over before making a decision.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:22:40 PM by bananahammock »

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #305 on: April 02, 2021, 02:16:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1377659585721425924?s=20

His reply to his comments might give an idea into what  Dawson needs to think over before making a decision.

You guys probably shouldn't be expecting every current player to make an official announcement that they are staying. I don't know if they will or not, but they certainly don't have to. 

Also, here are the comments:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

I wouldn't over-analyze. Shaka was early to offer Dawson when he was at Texas. But Shaka's offense is way, way better for guards. So, Dawson will have to weigh it all, plus he could test the NBA waters. I do think he eventually is an NBA player.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #306 on: April 02, 2021, 02:20:10 PM »
You guys probably shouldn't be expecting every current player to make an official announcement that they are staying. I don't know if they will or not, but they certainly don't have to. 

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

I wouldn't over-analyze. Shaka was early to offer Dawson when he was at Texas. But Shaka's offense is way, way better for guards. So, Dawson will have to weigh it all, plus he could test the NBA waters. I do think he eventually is an NBA player.

Each day that passes, the more hopeful I get we won’t have a ton of transfers. Especially for Garcia and Lewis. They very easily could have put their name in once they me with Shaka. Checked that box and gotten on with the process. The fact they aren’t in the portal yet gives me hope.

Obviously, there could be reasons they aren’t in the portal yet if they plan to be. But the longer it goes, the more hopeful I am that Shaka is successfully re-recruiting them.

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #307 on: April 02, 2021, 02:30:55 PM »
It’s hard to believe that Shaka’s offense is more guard-friendly than a Wojo’s. Garcia committed to MU at a time when Markus was dominating the touches.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #308 on: April 02, 2021, 02:45:28 PM »

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP

That's not the guy whose comments you want to pay attention to. I don't mean this in the wrong way, but a total dolt. And, that comment is just nonsense that writers / TV people throw out just to say words. Means nada and is factually dumb.

Let's go back a few years when Shaka brings in a 6'9" transfer from a mid major and then let's him - Dylan Osetkowski - play a huge role in the offense... another bigger role guy then... now in the NBA... Mo Bamba. So, yeah.. whatever.

PS - Shaka just had a 6'10" pogo stick from Minnesota finish off his fourth season at Texas... goes by the name of Jericho Sims... alumnus of D1 Minnesota.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #309 on: April 02, 2021, 02:49:44 PM »
That's not the guy whose comments you want to pay attention to. I don't mean this in the wrong way, but a total dolt. And, that comment is just nonsense that writers / TV people throw out just to say words. Means nada and is factually dumb.

Let's go back a few years when Shaka brings in a 6'9" transfer from a mid major and then let's him - Dylan Osetkowski - play a huge role in the offense... another bigger role guy then... now in the NBA... Mo Bamba. So, yeah.. whatever.

PS - Shaka just had a 6'10" pogo stick from Minnesota finish off his fourth season at Texas... goes by the name of Jericho Sims... alumnus of D1 Minnesota.

Wolfson also just called the Gophers newest commit from W&M an "eite shooter"

When people called him out on the guy shooting below 30% in 3 out of 4 years.

He the backed it up by saying "In my opinion if you lead your conference in shooting 1 year, you are an elite shooter".

Guy is always punching bagged around the Minny area.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #310 on: April 02, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
Yeah don’t put much stock into what Doogie reports.  He paints himself as in the know but I don’t know that he has a proven track record that backs it up.   

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #311 on: April 02, 2021, 03:14:20 PM »
Short version:
Staying on the Minnesota topic.. a 2022 some of you will remember from Marquette's involved is Prince Aligbe. I believe Texas talked to him early on, but no offer. He's a ~6'6" two-way wing... if I had to comp him to someone recently at MU, it would be Sacar. More advanced offensively at this point in time, though, and bigger. But, really gets after it defensively, while being a high flyer on offense.

Has played for Minnehaha and Sizzle, so obviously has been on the floor with elite talent and done well no matter what is asked of him. His size, athleticism and work ethic helps me envision how he could do well in a Shaka Smart defense.

He's been a man above boys physically for awhile, and that's always a watch-out for me (e.g., guys look better than they are because they're playing with little kids).. but, he keeps elevating his game. Would love for Shaka to take a long look.

Longer version:
Lots of stories from this last year - some wild, wild stuff. In Minnesota we were able to have a fairly long AAU season that extended into October. Our 17U Late Night Hoops team had a solid season which wrapped up with a 4 week (2 games/week) league in September and October. We surprised a bit in weeks 1 and 2, going 4-0. In week 3, Sizzle joined the league. They played a very good team - Minnesota Comets - in their first game and held on to win by I think 3 points. Close game.

We played Comets next while Sizzle watched. We handled them pretty well. Never was close. We're now 5-0.

Chet Holgrem had said he was sitting out the AAU season due to covid concerns. He was at the game watching us... as time is winding down, he starts stretching. I noticed and talked to the other coach with me... 'wth is Chet doing? Is this guy gonna actually play his first game of the year???'

Sure enough, he did. Ouch. Sizzle dominated us early on... things evened out after we settled down, but yeeeesh. I think six of their guys (filled with D1 talent, including Prince) dunked on us. We were generally a good defensive team.. but.. not that game.

Anyway, it was still a fun experience... Prince got us good.. Chet did.. and so did a bunch of their other talented kids.. meanwhile, their coach was Randy Carter, who I idolized when I was in high school and he was at the U of Minnesota... weeks later, Sizzle would appear on the ESPN networks nationally a couple of times... and dominate.

Here's a video from that game... you'll see our brutal defense.. but some nice highlights of Prince Aligbe (#10) and the makers of the video actually showed even single one of our players make a basket, which I thought was kind. Finally, during the season post-game handshakes were 'outlawed'. But after beating us up, Chet actually came over and gave a fist bump to all the players and coaches - I thought it was a very nice gesture... can't wait to see what the future holds for him.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gkzILK2VLco" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/gkzILK2VLco</a>
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #312 on: April 02, 2021, 03:21:37 PM »
Good stuff, JayBee.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #313 on: April 02, 2021, 03:30:13 PM »
Welcome back Jay Bee.

Curious your thoughts on the Shaka hire.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #314 on: April 02, 2021, 05:14:25 PM »
JB-you da man!!
don't...don't don't don't don't

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #315 on: April 02, 2021, 06:31:22 PM »
how many  JB kiss ass posts we need tho

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #316 on: April 02, 2021, 08:46:10 PM »
As reported in Transfer Portal Thread , MU wooing Jamal

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=61499.msg1336799#msg1336799

Kind of an interesting turn of events. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #317 on: April 03, 2021, 07:17:33 AM »
how many  JB kiss ass posts we need tho

You’re just jealous JB

Trader

• Walk-On
« Reply #318 on: April 03, 2021, 05:06:43 PM »
Have not seen this posted anywhere else but did catch this exchange on twitter.  Jennifer Carton account looks legit as DJ's mother since both DJ and others connected with the program follow her.   Appears that she's saying he's staying and that those advocating his messaging of staying via his social media posts are correct.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #319 on: April 03, 2021, 05:40:38 PM »
Yeah...that's DJ's mom. At least she isn't going after fans on Twitter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Thing

• Team Captain
« Reply #320 on: April 03, 2021, 05:42:35 PM »
That’s actually pretty awesome. Seem like a close knit family.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #321 on: April 03, 2021, 06:05:16 PM »
That’s actually pretty awesome. Seem like a close knit family.

Agreed. DJ seems like an amazing young man, and his mom sounds pretty amazing too. I'm proud to have them as part of the MU family.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #322 on: April 03, 2021, 06:41:06 PM »
More like - at least there are not some dumbass fans she needs to go after on Twitter at the moment.

Yeah...that's DJ's mom. At least she isn't going after fans on Twitter.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #323 on: April 03, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
More like - at least there are not some dumbass fans she needs to go after on Twitter at the moment.

She can be pretty indiscriminate at times, and has a tendency to escalate situations. Players & their families interacting with fans on social media or sites like this is rarely a good look and should be discouraged by the athletic department.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #324 on: April 03, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
She can be pretty indiscriminate at times, and has a tendency to escalate situations. Players & their families interacting with fans on social media or sites like this is rarely a good look and should be discouraged by the athletic department.

Agreed. Can’t win.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback