collapse

* Recent Posts

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 16, 2024, 06:05:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")  (Read 1129832 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: COVID-19 (f/k/a "the Coronavirus")
« Reply #4625 on: April 24, 2020, 01:22:48 PM »
NC governor just announced that schools officially closed for the rest of the school year. Yesterday, he had announced an extension of our stay-at-home policy through May 8. After that, the economy can begin to re-open in 3 phases as long as certain COVID-19 benchmarks are being met.

If all goes well, NC can be close to "back to normal" by mid-June. The optimist in me thinks there's a chance for that, but the realist in me is concerned that many benchmarks will not be met.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4626 on: April 24, 2020, 01:37:47 PM »
At least they have a plan. That is better than most.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #4627 on: April 24, 2020, 02:33:05 PM »
Free a, the woman I read about is a 23 year old model, so not the same person.
The article itself is in Italian, somebody on their forum kindly translated it.
I confess I do not know how to cut and paste prior posts, so I apologize if that makes this confusing. 🤔

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4628 on: April 24, 2020, 02:41:52 PM »

I think many states have plans, but NC just happens to be one of the first states ready to begin Phase One, according to the timeline of decline in new cases. There was a list posted somewhere that gave rough dates by state, but I can't seem to find it.

I believe it estimated that one state (Montana? Wyoming?) would be ready by May 1, with four or five others (including NC) ready about a week later.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #4629 on: April 24, 2020, 03:27:04 PM »

Actually, many governors have the same plan.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4630 on: April 24, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »

I think many states have plans, but NC just happens to be one of the first states ready to begin Phase One, according to the timeline of decline in new cases. There was a list posted somewhere that gave rough dates by state, but I can't seem to find it.

I believe it estimated that one state (Montana? Wyoming?) would be ready by May 1, with four or five others (including NC) ready about a week later.

We'll see. I'm hoping, but not counting on it.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #4631 on: April 24, 2020, 07:40:33 PM »
Actually, many governors have the same plan.

SC, GA, and FL don’t.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4632 on: April 24, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »
SC, GA, and FL don’t.

Probably why he said ‘many’ instead of ‘all.’

I’m guessing about half follow through with rational, scientifically-driven plans, and about half get itchy and follow haphazard paths like SC, GA and FL.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4633 on: April 24, 2020, 10:38:46 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how a customer gets a pedicure, manicure, haircut, massage or tattoo from a practitioner standing or sitting 6 feet away.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #4634 on: April 24, 2020, 11:31:16 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out how a customer gets a pedicure, manicure, haircut, massage or tattoo from a practitioner standing or sitting 6 feet away.

With a mask. Or a case of don't give a F, get this damn hair off of my head.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4635 on: April 25, 2020, 06:46:12 AM »
Eventually salons are going to have to open before we have a vaccine right?  The fact is we are going to have to return to some semblance of "normal" that still isn't going to prevent the disease from spreading entirely.  People are still going to get sick and some are going to die.  Hopefuly we can mitigate the spread and get a better understanding of how to treat before we hopefully can get a vaccine. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #4636 on: April 25, 2020, 07:21:40 AM »
Many more will DIE!

#LastDays

Anyone tried the Lawnmower by Manscape?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4637 on: April 25, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »
Eventually salons are going to have to open before we have a vaccine right?  The fact is we are going to have to return to some semblance of "normal" that still isn't going to prevent the disease from spreading entirely.  People are still going to get sick and some are going to die.  Hopefuly we can mitigate the spread and get a better understanding of how to treat before we hopefully can get a vaccine.

I understand, and I agree.

But don't pretend that you are a governor who is still emphasizing social distancing when you are allowing businesses that do tattoos and manicures.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4638 on: April 25, 2020, 07:59:59 AM »
I understand, and I agree.

But don't pretend that you are a governor who is still emphasizing social distancing when you are allowing businesses that do tattoos and manicures.

But that's going to happen.  Eventually its going to be about mitigating risk.  Salons, restaurants and retail shops are going to open AND people are still going to be working remotely, wearing masks and trying to stay six feet apart from one another.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4639 on: April 25, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »

But that's going to happen.  Eventually its going to be about mitigating risk.  Salons, restaurants and retail shops are going to open AND people are still going to be working remotely, wearing masks and trying to stay six feet apart from one another.

I disagree in that this has always been about mitigating risk.  Thats what the guidelines are for.  To tell states when things have moved from 'out of control' to 'something manageable'. 

Case in point - this is an essential industry...if we cant figure it out here, a hair salon is infinitely more complex.

https://thehill.com/homenews/494053-tyson-foods-closes-iowa-pork-plant-indefinitely
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:44:51 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4640 on: April 25, 2020, 09:21:06 AM »

I disagree in that this has always been about mitigating risk.  Thats what the guidelines are for.  To tell states when things have moved from 'out of control' to 'something manageable'. 

Agree completely.

If a state truly wants to "mitigate risk," then at a minimum it would follow the three-phase plan laid out by the administration. States that open before meeting the criteria are simply living with a higher level of risk and hoping for a miracle. And 'hoping for a miracle' is not the same as mitigating risk.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:24:05 AM by GooooMarquette »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4641 on: April 25, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Geez this thing is nasty.  I guess now is a good time to familiarize yourself with the FAST test. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4642 on: April 25, 2020, 11:11:51 AM »

If a state truly wants to "mitigate risk," then at a minimum it would follow the three-phase plan laid out by the administration. States that open before meeting the criteria are simply living with a higher level of risk and hoping for a miracle. And 'hoping for a miracle' is not the same as mitigating risk.

Yep.

We all know (or at least hope) normal-ish life is going to happen again eventually. When you're a GOP governor whose re-opening plan is so loose that even President Pandemic criticizes it for being too much too soon, it's probably waaaay too much and waaaay too soon.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #4643 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Geez this thing is nasty.  I guess now is a good time to familiarize yourself with the FAST test.

And we really have no idea why some people are affected so hard, and others not. A lot of these with unusual deaths, are in people with no preexisting conditions.

So weird. And I still think we are all (well most 60% wish) likely to get this sometime between now and next May. It's quite honestly a role of the dice on which of us are affected hard or not at all (asymptomatic).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4644 on: April 25, 2020, 12:13:58 PM »

Because I wasn't familiar with FAST - a PSA...
FAST is an acronym used as a mnemonic to help detect and enhance responsiveness to the needs of a person having a stroke. The acronym stands for Facial drooping, Arm weakness, Speech difficulties and Time to call emergency services.

Facial drooping: A section of the face, usually only on one side, that is drooping and hard to move. This can be recognized by a crooked smile.
Arm weakness: The inability to raise one's arm fully
Speech difficulties: An inability or difficulty to understand or produce speech
Time: If any of the symptoms above are showing, time is of the essence; call the emergency services and go to the hospital immediately.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #4645 on: April 25, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »
And we really have no idea why some people are affected so hard, and others not. A lot of these with unusual deaths, are in people with no preexisting conditions.

So weird. And I still think we are all (well most 60% wish) likely to get this sometime between now and next May. It's quite honestly a role of the dice on which of us are affected hard or not at all (asymptomatic).

It is a strange pattern. Hopefully docs can find some common denominator so those who are truly at elevated risk can take additional precautions (or perhaps be given priority access to convalescent plasma as soon as they are infected?) to mitigate the number and severity of nasty outcomes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4646 on: April 25, 2020, 01:14:04 PM »
Different hospitals have different levels of stroke mitigation.   If you live in an area with multiple hospitals, do a little research as to which is the most advanced.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #4647 on: April 25, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #4648 on: April 25, 2020, 06:48:11 PM »
This is nuts.  96% asymptomatic across 4 different prisons?  It feels like the further we get into this, the less we know.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494670-ninety-six-percent-of-inmates-in-four-state-prisons-who-tested-positive

injuryBug

• Team Captain
« Reply #4649 on: April 25, 2020, 07:59:32 PM »
This is nuts.  96% asymptomatic across 4 different prisons?  It feels like the further we get into this, the less we know.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/494670-ninety-six-percent-of-inmates-in-four-state-prisons-who-tested-positive

Actually sounds about right with everything that is out the there.  The amount that get sick enough to need hospital attention is very low. 

feedback