[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Vaccine/Antibody updates  (Read 385730 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Vaccine/Antibody updates
« Reply #2850 on: June 11, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2851 on: June 11, 2021, 09:20:55 AM »
NFL -- and the NFLPA -- getting concerned that misinformed players are delaying or skipping getting vaccine.

Start of article in The Athletic:

With the start of NFL training camps now less than seven weeks away, the relatively slow pace of players to get the COVID-19 vaccination has become one of the league’s most pressing issues. And there are real ramifications for individual players and teams as a whole come July.

The NFL won’t require players to get the vaccine, while the NFL Players Association continues to say it will encourage it. Soon, though, players will be split into two groups: Those who are vaccinated and those who aren’t, and the NFLPA doesn’t want to hear those in the latter group say their decision is due to a lack of information.

“We’ve talked about this now for four months,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday. “Their agents know, their contract advisers know, their financial advisers know. They’ve got access to team doctors, they’ve got access to our website, they have access to me, they have access to the folks who were touring and going around to camps now. There really shouldn’t be any excuse for not having the answers to the questions that you have.”

But this week has revealed just how varied opinions are around the NFL about the vaccine. Carolina Panthers quarterback Sam Darnold told reporters he’s not vaccinated. Seahawks cornerback DJ Reed said that he was still “50-50” on his vaccination decision as he seeks more information. Washington defensive end Montez Sweat said he “wasn’t a fan” of his team bringing in a public health expert to answer vaccine questions via video conference and that he wanted “more facts.”

“I haven’t caught COVID yet. I don’t see me treating COVID until I actually get COVID,” Sweat said Wednesday.

This is sad stuff, but really a reflection of society as a whole.

One more paragraph from the article that I think is spot-on:

NFLPA medical director Thom Mayer said Thursday that when he hears players say they want more information before making a decision about getting the vaccine, he doesn’t necessarily think that it’s about those players not having the relevant information. He said it’s that players are struggling to make a decision between what they might personally want to do, and what the league and coaches are saying they should do.

Entire article, for those with access (and interest):

https://theathletic.com/2645295/2021/06/10/slow-pace-for-nfl-player-vaccination-causes-nflpa-coaches-and-agents-to-push-for-action/?source=dailyemail
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2852 on: June 11, 2021, 09:38:43 AM »
Washington defensive end Montez Sweat said he “wasn’t a fan” of his team bringing in a public health expert to answer vaccine questions via video conference and that he wanted “more facts.”

This is just hilariously stupid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2853 on: June 11, 2021, 09:58:32 AM »

It so is.

"I've never been in a car accident, so I'm not gonna wear my seat belt until after I get in one."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2854 on: June 11, 2021, 10:01:50 AM »
It so is.

"I've never been in a car accident, so I'm not gonna wear my seat belt until after I get in one."

I'm guessing his first football game he didn't wear pads because he hadn't been hit yet?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #2855 on: June 11, 2021, 10:53:24 AM »
So he doesn’t want to get a vaccine to hopefully prevent Covid until he gets covid, and he wants information but not from a public health expert....
Perhaps the first but if education should be to explain what vaccines are.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2856 on: June 11, 2021, 11:02:05 AM »
Just replace the word COVID with "polio" if you want to see how monumentally unnatural carnal knowledgeed up their rationalizations are.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2857 on: June 11, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »

These guys weren't in college for their academic skills. You would think that, at the least, a bit of knowledge would leak into their brains while they were in class.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2858 on: June 11, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »
These guys weren't in college for their academic skills. You would think that, at the least, a bit of knowledge would leak into their brains while they were in class.

Come on. Just because people sometimes say stupid stuff, it doesn’t mean they’re stupid. I mean, all of us here say stupid stuff sometimes. And badness knows, our well-educated elected officials, with their Ivy League advanced degrees, say incredibly stupid stuff all the time.

And if Sweat does happen to be stupid, it doesn’t mean all of “these guys” are stupid.

But yes, it was a stupid thing for Sweat to have said.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2859 on: June 12, 2021, 01:23:11 AM »
I'll venture that Sweat's views on vaccination might be a bellwether for his intelligence.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2860 on: June 12, 2021, 12:22:50 PM »
I'll venture that Sweat's views on vaccination might be a bellwether for his intelligence.

Add Anthony Rizzo to the list.  He's waiting for more science. ::)

I remember that he believed in science 100% when he had cancer. But, of course, that was all about him. Now, it is about the people around us. He ain't gonna go out of his way for his teammates.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2861 on: June 12, 2021, 02:11:53 PM »

It's amazing to me.  If you count the 165,387,602 people that have gotten the vaccine, it has been studied (starting Pfizer phase 1) for about 15 months.  No major problems - and certainly has saved lives.  Even the cardio stuff they're looking at has been in a very small % of people.  Maybe in 10 years we'll figure out we really screwed something up, is that how long these people are going to wait?  Probably.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2862 on: June 12, 2021, 02:33:51 PM »
I remember that he believed in science 100% when he had cancer. But, of course, that was all about him. Now, it is about the people around us. He ain't gonna go out of his way for his teammates.

That’s completely uncalled for and not even a remotely comparable situation.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2863 on: June 12, 2021, 03:11:38 PM »

Can’t take the Florida out of Florida Man.

Definitely not supporting the Rizzo Foundation at the Jewels checkout anymore.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2864 on: June 12, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »

Yea, f all those kids with cancer and their families.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2865 on: June 12, 2021, 03:29:51 PM »
Yea, f all those kids with cancer and their families.

I’m more concerned about the vaccine-ready virus that has completely derailed our world that could be eradicated with the help of a Anthony Rizzo. Instead he is a detriment to that.

He can help the cancer kids the most by getting vaccinated and promoting others to do the same.

Rizzo should stop being a detriment to science, vaccinations and ultimately kids with cancer.

Sorry you can’t see that.

HansMoleman

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2866 on: June 12, 2021, 03:37:35 PM »

I'll add $0.10 to my donation and negate your protest.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2867 on: June 12, 2021, 03:39:26 PM »
Rizzo should stop being a detriment to science, vaccinations and ultimately kids with cancer.

Sorry you can’t see that.

That is a magnificent leap, but go for it.  I love how a single vaccine in an incredibly unique scenario is now somehow equivalized to all vaccines, all medical science, and all treatment   

I’m vaccinated, I’m not in the camp of fearing it, but I’m also over cancelling anyone and everyone who isn’t shouting for vaccines from the rooftop IMMEDIATELY.  He is someone with a complicated medical history that you know NOTHING about his conversations with his medical team.  He didn’t speak poorly of vaccines and only spoke to his personal choice.

He’s done more for people with life threading illness, financially and emotionally, than you and I ever will.  To wipe that away and deem him some toxic monster is the bullcrap black and white hysterical reductivism that this country seems to now thrive on.

Everyone loves screaming about personal responsibility when it fits them.  If a grown adult isn’t getting vaccinated cause their favorite baseball player or football player isn’t, they weren’t going to anyways. Especially with how much pro-vaccine marketing and advertising is going on. Claiming otherwise is just an excuse to bag on someone. This isn’t some pre-teen choosing to avoid drugs cause a superstar was in an ad campaign.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #2868 on: June 12, 2021, 04:11:22 PM »
That is a magnificent leap, but go for it.  I love how a single vaccine in an incredibly unique scenario is now somehow equivalized to all vaccines, all medical science, and all treatment   

I’m vaccinated, I’m not in the camp of fearing it, but I’m also over cancelling anyone and everyone who isn’t shouting for vaccines from the rooftop IMMEDIATELY.  He is someone with a complicated medical history that you know NOTHING about his conversations with his medical team.  He didn’t speak poorly of vaccines and only spoke to his personal choice.

He’s done more for people with life threading illness, financially and emotionally, than you and I ever will.  To wipe that away and deem him some toxic monster is the bullcrap black and white hysterical reductivism that this country seems to now thrive on.

Everyone loves screaming about personal responsibility when it fits them.  If a grown adult isn’t getting vaccinated cause their favorite baseball player or football player isn’t, they weren’t going to anyways. Especially with how much pro-vaccine marketing and advertising is going on. Claiming otherwise is just an excuse to bag on someone. This isn’t some pre-teen choosing to avoid drugs cause a superstar was in an ad campaign.

Anyone call Rizzo a toxic monster is the huge leap being made here. Probably Arrieta for sure.

If you don’t understand how vaccination of the population is the single greatest health crisis right now, not sure what else will lead you there.

Leukemia Society is urging all those 12 and older to get the vaccine. Rizzo could help get the word out that it’s safe for those with and recovering form the illness.

Those choosing not to get vaccinated deserved to get bagged. Selfish, detriment to society.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:17:10 PM by Retire0 »

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2869 on: June 12, 2021, 05:51:48 PM »
He is someone with a complicated medical history that you know NOTHING about his conversations with his medical team.  He didn’t speak poorly of vaccines and only spoke to his personal choice.

"Given my past medical history, my doctor's recommended against getting the vaccine" would have been the correct answer in that case. But that's not what he said (and likely not what his doctor's said).

But otherwise I agree with you. As "humankind" the best we can do is keep talking people through their concerns and onto the greater good. I'd prefer to have honest conversations with those hesitant, not throw them under the bus

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2870 on: June 14, 2021, 12:43:09 AM »
Our family received financial considerations from Anthony Rizzo’s foundation. I have a nice letter from his agent as well. Even though we are Sox fans, we are also Anthony Rizzo fans for what he’s done for Lurie’s and children with blood cancers.

My son is 11, nine months from the 12 - 16 vaccine. The day he’s eligible to get a vaccine, he will. That last sentence is both his, and mine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2871 on: June 14, 2021, 07:30:16 AM »

I can see not buying Rizzo jerseys, not watching the Cubs in person or on TV, calling out Rizzo on interwebs sites, or not supporting Rizzo in any way.

But taking it out on kids with cancer?

You can't possibly separate donating to a foundation fighting childhood cancer with one of the people promoting the foundation? Really?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2872 on: June 14, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
I can see not buying Rizzo jerseys, not watching the Cubs in person or on TV, calling out Rizzo on interwebs sites, or not supporting Rizzo in any way.

But taking it out on kids with cancer?

You can't possibly separate donating to a foundation fighting childhood cancer with one of the people promoting the foundation? Really?

Does he profit from his foundation? If so there's other cancer foundations out there, I could see electing to donate to those. If he cornered the market on cancer foundations then withholding is pretty absurd.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2873 on: June 14, 2021, 09:45:07 AM »
Does he profit from his foundation? If so there's other cancer foundations out there, I could see electing to donate to those. If he cornered the market on cancer foundations then withholding is pretty absurd.

I like to think he doesn't profit on it, but I don't know. And of course there are a zillion cancer-related charities out there. My wife is heavily involved with one of them.

It just seems an odd stance to take -- "He won't get vaccinated, therefore I'll never give a nickel to his potentially life-saving charity."

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2874 on: June 14, 2021, 10:13:08 AM »

I think the issue of the idea is less "ill write my checks to a different foundation" and more "I'll stop doing this smaller act of goodwill to a great foundation cause I no longer like Rizzo" which is quite sad, IMO.

feedback