Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard deciding in April  (Read 27846 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Markus Howard deciding in April
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 02:15:22 PM »
I see next year's team as a very fast paced four guard lineup. Sacrifice rebounding for speed, shooting, and steals.

Way too early to do this but its always fun to guess. Assuming Henry leaves, no grad transfer, and Howard comes

Guards (2): Duane 25, Howard 20, Carter 20, Rowsey 15
Wings (2): JJJ 25, Hannie 25, Sandy 15, Wally 10, Sacar 5
Centers: Luke 30, Matt 10
Redshirt: Hauser

Wojo has shown over two seasons now that he believes more in a "lead guard" position than a point guard. He's not afraid to have multiple ball handlers out there at once.
I understand what your saying about the lead guard. After 53 games of Wojo it is pretty clear what he values in a player. First, Duane will not be getting any less minutes than he has the past two years. Duane is very much in the vanguard of Wojo's thinking. Second, Haanif if anything will be going up in minutes. Wojo is constantly touting his virtues and has a lot of confidence in him.  Third, Carter is a kid the coach sees upside in and thus will continue to absorb minutes. Fourth, Rowsey is a proven high scorer as a D-1 player,who has had a year to work with the team and build relationships, so he will not be on the pine.

There are no openings from departed seniors like this year. Wojo values experience.   Howard is going to have to earn his playing time the old fashioned freshman way. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 02:35:01 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mug644

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2016, 02:17:03 PM »
I like that way of playing but don't see how you pull it off with Big Fish on the court and Heldt when he is not.  Teams that do that effectively usually have an athletic but possibly undersized center.  Its going to take time to get Fisher up and down the court.  Even more I would have to expect your 6'11" SENIOR center would be a focus of you offense. Maybe if you have 4 good shooters on the floor you play 1 in 4 out where Fisher either tries to score in the post or kicks out to an open shooter for 3. BUT that assumes that our guys become consistent 3 point shooters, something no one has shown.
I'm afraid the personnel just don't match.

Even a running team doesn't usually need or have all 5 guys on the move, and the truth is Fischer is probably a bit better than average getting up the court. Then, if the fast game gets slowed down, he's a solid half court option. I like that combination. When he's out, you're right, Heldt doesn't fit as well in that approach, as he's more limited at this point.

Oh, and I like TAMU's notion of a 'lead guard' that is certainly what we are seeing without Carter on the floor.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »
Hate to say it

But give me Howard and Henry next year and I'm good with whatever any other player decides.

Would like Duane, Haanif and JJJ though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
Howard is 5'11" but with elite skills (especially shooting/scoring). He plays the 2 in high school because there is another elite PG on the team. I assume he wants to play basketball after college and the only position a 5'11" guy can play (even in Europe) is PG. Indiana and Baylor (and maybe others) have huge voids at PG next year and are offering the keys to this kid from day one. Hopefully we're recruiting him the same way. Our backcourt is crowded at the 2/3 but not at the point. Our only PG is Traci and when he starts he's the worst starting PG in the conference. If this kid is half the player everyone makes him out to be he gets 30 minutes from the jump and Traci get no more than 10.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »
I see next year's team as a very fast paced four guard lineup. Sacrifice rebounding for speed, shooting, and steals.

Way too early to do this but its always fun to guess. Assuming Henry leaves, no grad transfer, and Howard comes

Guards (2): Duane 25, Howard 20, Carter 20, Rowsey 15
Wings (2): JJJ 25, Hannie 25, Sandy 15, Wally 10, Sacar 5
Centers: Luke 30, Matt 10
Redshirt: Hauser

Wojo has shown over two seasons now that he believes more in a "lead guard" position than a point guard. He's not afraid to have multiple ball handlers out there at once.

Question: who on that roster is going to get a rebound to start our fast break?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »
Howard is 5'11" but with elite skills (especially shooting/scoring). He plays the 2 in high school because there is another elite PG on the team. I assume he wants to play basketball after college and the only position a 5'11" guy can play (even in Europe) is PG. Indiana and Baylor (and maybe others) have huge voids at PG next year and are offering the keys to this kid from day one. Hopefully we're recruiting him the same way. Our backcourt is crowded at the 2/3 but not at the point. Our only PG is Traci and when he starts he's the worst starting PG in the conference. If this kid is half the player everyone makes him out to be he gets 30 minutes from the jump and Traci get no more than 10.

Traci would, and should, still get over 20 MPG next year even with Howard starting at the 1.  Howard can move off the ball and be a scorer as well.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »
Traci would, and should, still get over 20 MPG next year even with Howard starting at the 1.  Howard can move off the ball and be a scorer as well.

Not sure if we'd ever have a need for both of them on the court at the same time, except maybe late game press breaks (we stink at them). But I'm just gonna save any more thought being put into this until the kid makes a decision. Fun to think about though.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2016, 03:20:32 PM »
Why should Traci Carter get any minutes, what has he done lately to deserve much playing time??  By his junior, I expect much improvement, but after 25 games
I see none. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2016, 03:24:59 PM »

Why? I mean, why move Howard to a position where we have good players (Duane, Hanif, JJJ, and maybe Rowsey) so that a not good player (Traci) can get 20+ minutes)?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
Why? I mean, why move Howard to a position where we have good players (Duane, Hanif, JJJ, and maybe Rowsey) so that a not good player (Traci) can get 20+ minutes)?

Traci is a good player for a freshman point guard.  He will improve maybe more than anybody else on this team this offseason.  Next year he won't be thrown off by the speed and physicality of the game.  And he will be our best perimeter defender.

And Wojo has shown a willingness to go small ball, throwing in lineups this year of Luke or Hank along with JJJ, Duane, Traci, and Cheatham (happened in at least 1 of, if not both, the games in Brooklyn this year).  It'll be about matchups and situations.  I would love to see a guy like Howard who can score from anywhere on the floor in the game with Carter who has shown an ability to get into the paint and an ability to distribute, particularly to other perimeter players.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
Traci is a good player for a freshman point guard.  He will improve maybe more than anybody else on this team this offseason.  Next year he won't be thrown off by the speed and physicality of the game.  And he will be our best perimeter defender.

And Wojo has shown a willingness to go small ball, throwing in lineups this year of Luke or Hank along with JJJ, Duane, Traci, and Cheatham (happened in at least 1 of, if not both, the games in Brooklyn this year).  It'll be about matchups and situations.  I would love to see a guy like Howard who can score from anywhere on the floor in the game with Carter who has shown an ability to get into the paint and an ability to distribute, particularly to other perimeter players.

Hope you're right but as of now Traci is nothing more than a quicker but less physical   and more mistake prone version of Derrick. Scoop won't survive another 3 years of MU playing 4 on 5 on offense.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2016, 03:46:04 PM »
Hope you're right but as of now Traci is nothing more than a quicker but less physical   and more mistake prone version of Derrick. Scoop won't survive another 3 years of MU playing 4 on 5 on offense.

If Traci can get a jump shot he will be fine. But if not, that's a fair comparison.

33 % FG / 29 % 3P.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2016, 03:47:10 PM »

Or you can just let Howard play with Duane and JJJ.

Now you've got 3 guards who can score.

JJJ can drive and distribute. And Duane is also pretty good at distributing when that becomes his focus.

That's a scary back court(along with Haanif).

Traci should back up Howard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
If Traci can get a jump shot he will be fine. But if not, that's a fair comparison.

33 % FG / 29 % 3P.

Yeah all Traci has on Derrick right now is being a better shooter which doesn't say much. Traci when he misses his 3s usually is pretty on target at least. Derrick had awful misses routinely.

Derrick was still a better FG% guy cuz he made his lay ups for most part

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2016, 04:02:44 PM »
Yeah all Traci has on Derrick right now is being a better shooter which doesn't say much. Traci when he misses his 3s usually is pretty on target at least. Derrick had awful misses routinely.

Derrick was still a better FG% guy cuz he made his lay ups for most part

Traci is so much quicker and creates alot more opportunities for his teammates than Derrick did. Derrick was the superior defender, by far. Other than the low shooting percentages they are nothing alike.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Traci has no idea how to play D. He is also good for one if not two head scratching passes every single game.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2016, 04:30:16 PM »
If Howard comes I would expect that he and Rowsey will share the pg duties.

Carter might be a good RS candidate with HC and Duane around to be the 3rd pg if needed.

I will be shocked if Hauser red shirts.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »
Fellow warriors and warriorettes I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves.  I am not sure that MH will  be at MU next year..  Lets look at the odds
1.  reclassifies for 2016  (90%)
2. Chooses MU over other options. 30%
     a. IU  40%
    b. Baylor 20%
   c. ASU 10%

0.9 x 0.3 = 27% chance.   

Also these are just my guesses, no specific info that I have.   I wish he was coming here last and not first. 

mug644

• All American
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »
Fellow warriors and warriorettes I think we are all getting ahead of ourselves.  I am not sure that MH will  be at MU next year..  Lets look at the odds
1.  reclassifies for 2016  (90%)
2. Chooses MU over other options. 30%
     a. IU  40%
    b. Baylor 20%
   c. ASU 10%

0.9 x 0.3 = 27% chance.   

Also these are just my guesses, no specific info that I have.   I wish he was coming here last and not first.

Thanks for getting us back on track, Big Daddy. Rarely do 4+ page threads stay on topic. Good luck to Marcus as he considers his options. We're here and will welcome him, given the opportunity.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
Why should Traci Carter get any minutes, what has he done lately to deserve much playing time??  By his junior, I expect much improvement, but after 25 games
I see none.

Umm, how about saving the victory over St. Johns by breaking the press?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
Right now, 21 games into his freshman season, Traci is a significantly better offensive player than Derrick was as a senior.

Not only can TC break a press just as well, but he makes more than 70% of his FTs if fouled. He can drive and kick, something Derrick did about 3 times the entire season. He at least has a chance at making a 3.

Defensively, Derrick obviously was better, but let's see how Traci improves there by the time he is a junior or senior.

Having said all that, and honestly believing Traci could turn out to be a nice player, if you have the chance to upgrade you do. Period.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2016, 09:46:06 AM »
Umm, how about saving the victory over St. Johns by breaking the press?

I would say the coach saved the game by having the ball go over the top, vs. getting stuck in the corner, which was bad coaching.  Beating St. Johns is no great shake,
they were up 20, then only up 4 as all the players were throwing the ball all over the place.  Traci will get better, but I can only say that in the Big East, Traci ranks as
#10.  Long way to go, barely got off the bench in the second half against Stetson.   Also, Traci made the best pass of the year to Sandi for a nice dunk.  Just does not
make enough good plays to warrant minutes.  I want my point guard to score a minimum of 10 points a game or more, they should, they have the ball 50% of the time
and touch it everytime down the court.  Hoping for Howard!

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2016, 09:55:55 AM »
I would say the coach saved the game by having the ball go over the top, vs. getting stuck in the corner, which was bad coaching.  Beating St. Johns is no great shake,
they were up 20, then only up 4 as all the players were throwing the ball all over the place.  Traci will get better, but I can only say that in the Big East, Traci ranks as
#10.  Long way to go, barely got off the bench in the second half against Stetson.   Also, Traci made the best pass of the year to Sandi for a nice dunk.  Just does not
make enough good plays to warrant minutes.  I want my point guard to score a minimum of 10 points a game or more, they should, they have the ball 50% of the time
and touch it everytime down the court.  Hoping for Howard!

I think realistic expectations for Traci, if we don't get Howard, is for him to be a better version of Cadougan. Cadougan wasn't a prolific scorer and certainly had his share of facepalm turnovers, but he could hit shots (ahh, that UConn buzzer beater) and generally ran the offense well. Traci will be a better facilitator then Junior and hopefully will become as much if not more of a threat to score than JC was.

Of course, if we get Howard, this projection changes drastically.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #98 on: January 29, 2016, 10:01:22 AM »
I hope we land Howard too.  Time will tell.  But this would be a legitimate example of 'recruiting over' the current incumbent.  I have no problem with that.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #99 on: January 29, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »
I think realistic expectations for Traci, if we don't get Howard, is for him to be a better version of Cadougan. Cadougan wasn't a prolific scorer and certainly had his share of facepalm turnovers, but he could hit shots (ahh, that UConn buzzer beater) and generally ran the offense well. Traci will be a better facilitator then Junior and hopefully will become as much if not more of a threat to score than JC was.

Of course, if we get Howard, this projection changes drastically.

I agree on that, Junior improved as he got older and was able to score at times.  Traci can get into the lane at times but is not sure about his ability to score once
there, once he has confidence to do that, he will be an asset instead of a liability.