[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard deciding in April  (Read 27609 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Markus Howard deciding in April
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2016, 10:35:01 PM »
My understanding is that Howard played point guard for the U.S. National team last summer so he is more then capable of playing that roll.

He is playing mostly shooting guard this year because it is what Findley needs him to do.

I doubt Cheatham plays much point next year. Rowsey will be a likely be a better option if we don't get Howard.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2016, 10:48:06 PM »
Just watched a few videos of him.

Reminds me a lot of Peyton Siva but with what seems like a stronger base.

Sign me up.
SS Marquette

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2016, 11:01:46 PM »
Just watched a few videos of him.

Reminds me a lot of Peyton Siva but with what seems like a stronger base.

Sign me up.

Thought his body type was more like El Amin of UConn.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2016, 11:26:01 PM »
One thing I have learned is to be very skeptical about high school highlight videos. They only show highlights and many times against weak  competition or club setting with no defense.  The poor performance against Bishop Gorman, a very good athletic  team, is worth noting. Yes a kid has a bad game and it shouldn't be held against him.  It is also worth noting that schools like Duke and UNC are not banging down the door to sign him.

Obviously Howard has a nice shot. I will be happy if we get him. With time he should be able to make a contribution.

At this point I would value Rowsey more. He is a proven success at the D1 level and has had a year to practice with the team.

If I get a chance to see him in person then maybe I will have a different opinion.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »
My understanding is that Howard played point guard for the U.S. National team last summer so he is more then capable of playing that roll.

He is playing mostly shooting guard this year because it is what Findley needs him to do.

Team USA: 2 assists per game

2015 AAU: 2 assists per game

2015/2016 Findlay Prep: 3 assists per game

Fwiw he sounds like a guy who is looking to score, and score some more for a 5'10 kid

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2016, 07:15:29 AM »

Fwiw he sounds like a guy who is looking to score, and score some more for a 5'10 kid

And don't we have exactly that in Rowsey for next year?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 07:26:59 AM »
I disagree Brunson and Howard are shooting guards, both short, both have nice strokes.  Brunson probably has a better handle, since Howard plays 2 guard not sure
about his handle, both pretty smooth, both not like Traci Carter, a turnover to happen.

Brunson is more PG than SG. Brunson is also 4 inches taller than Howard. Brunson is also more of a slasher and Howard is more of a shooter. Theres really not that many similarities.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 09:05:03 AM »
And don't we have exactly that in Rowsey for next year?

I don't know how Marquette fans, after the past however many years, could possibly think that there wouldn't be a need for a guy who can shoot the lights out and has the skill set to play the 1.

Looking at the number of assists per game on a high school team a kid has to determine whether he is a guy who looks to score or looks to distribute is silly.  New flash: most high schools aren't made up of a ton of D1 prospects.  If you're a high major prospect at the point, chances are you scored a lot more than you assisted on your high school team.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 09:11:19 AM »
I don't know how Marquette fans, after the past however many years, could possibly think that there wouldn't be a need for a guy who can shoot the lights out and has the skill set to play the 1.

Looking at the number of assists per game on a high school team a kid has to determine whether he is a guy who looks to score or looks to distribute is silly.  New flash: most high schools aren't made up of a ton of D1 prospects.  If you're a high major prospect at the point, chances are you scored a lot more than you assisted on your high school team.

Yes but doesn't Howard play on Findlay Prep? They're loaded with D1 prospects to throw passes to.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 09:18:39 AM »
The guy can shoot the rock while playing the most important position on the floor.  More efficient scorer than Hank.  He would start from day 1.

Until he puts an MU uniform on, then he'll struggle to put into the ocean.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 09:39:49 AM »
Yes but doesn't Howard play on Findlay Prep? They're loaded with D1 prospects to throw passes to.

Including one of the best point guards in the country, so he's playing the shooting guard.

He has 49 assists to 10 turnovers with 23 steals.  I'll take my chances with a guy who can shoot the rock (56% from the floor and 53% from deep) and values the basketball at the point.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 09:45:06 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 09:49:04 AM »
High majors, including us, want the kid.

That's enough for me.

Get him, Wojo. We'll worry about having "too damn much talent" later!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Some guys will b!tch about a blowjob huh?
TAMU

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »
So now because Duke and UNC might not be "banging down his door" he is not an important recruit?

Really? That is now thew standard?

Arizona offered.......so have UCONN, Georgetown, Indiana, and Gonzaga.

According to 247 Duke and Kansas have shown interest....maybe we should wait until they offer before we take him?
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Markus-Howard-75093/RecruitInterests

Some observations from his play last summer.....http://peachstatebasketball.com/brandonclayscouting-player-card-markus-howard/
The kid is a top 30-35 recruit playing on the best prep school team in the country.

FWIW I watched him play on TV last week against top competition. He was the MVP of the game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 11:43:11 AM by MuMark »

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2016, 11:49:49 AM »

Not saying we shouldn't get him, but I'm saying he's not the panacea to cure what ails us this year and next
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2016, 11:58:22 AM »
Not saying we shouldn't get him, but I'm saying he's not the panacea to cure what ails us this year and next

If Hank were to stay, he sure would be.  If not but we get a big who doesn't provide much offense but rebounds the heck out of the ball, he still would be.

So now because Duke and UNC might not be "banging down his door" he is not an important recruit?

Really? That is now thew standard?

Arizona offered.......so have UCONN, Georgetown, Indiana, and Gonzaga.

According to 247 Duke and Kansas have shown interest....maybe we should wait until they offer before we take him?
http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Markus-Howard-75093/RecruitInterests

Some observations from his play last summer.....http://peachstatebasketball.com/brandonclayscouting-player-card-markus-howard/
The kid is a top 30-35 recruit playing on the best prep school team in the country.

FWIW I watched him play on TV last week against top competition. He was the MVP of the game.

Hmm, lots of talk about how he's the best point guard out there.  Who would've guessed he could play point?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »
If Hank were to stay, he sure would be.  If not but we get a big who doesn't provide much offense but rebounds the heck out of the ball, he still would be.

Hmm, lots of talk about how he's the best point guard out there.  Who would've guessed he could play point?

Already back to wadesworld? Do I smell a #donedeal brewing?
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2016, 12:13:04 PM »

There are maybe -- maybe -- 10-15 recruits a year that fit that category.

Many, many folks here thought Hank would be that for us this year ... but he hasn't been.

We're trying to completely rebuild an entire program, not just a team. Yes, a few elites have done so overnight. The vast majority need years to get it done.

This happens even among some bluebloods (and "near bluebloods"). We've been to the Final Four AND an Elite Eight since Indiana last made it that far. We've been to an Elite Eight since UCLA got that far. Florida and Syracuse are in downturns. Georgetown hasn't made it out of the first round since 2007 -- we've been to three S16s and an E8 since then.  Cinci used to be regarded as a pretty damn good program; they haven't gotten past the first weekend in almost a quarter-century. Illinois was on the cusp of "elitehood" a decade ago; since then, they WISH they had the run we had.

And so on and so on as you look through Power 5 conference teams. Hell, there are some here who actually think Northwestern is ready to break through. We'll see.

So do I think Markus Howard or any one player is THE answer? No I do not. But I still want him -- as do coaches at some of the nation's top teams -- to be PART of the answer. Hopefully a big part of the answer.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2016, 12:13:44 PM »
Already back to wadesworld? Do I smell a #donedeal brewing?

I tried it for one of the grad transfers we were after (don't remember which).  It didn't work.  So until we're in on another WI McD's AA (let's go, Joey!), I'll stick to WW.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2016, 10:09:30 PM »

Yogi Ferrell ... pretty good PG, right? We'd take him, correct?

Had 1 assist against Wisconsin tonight, and didn't get that until 2 mins remained in regulation. Had 30 points, though. Not too shabby.

He is averaging 6 assists, however, so obviously he can pass. Nearly 3 TOs, too.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
Also, played pretty good D on Koenig, worst game I have seen him play all year.  Crean, did not help his team win, they could not defend Hayes or Happ.  Dakish
is a shill for Indiana.  Thomas Bryant got toasted by Happ tonight, lottery pick, if so, so are Happ, Ellenson and Hayes.  I would hate to be the GM to pick Bryant, undersized no D center that has zero range, much like Happ, but he has game down under, lay-up after lay-up against Bryant.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2016, 10:33:08 PM »
Yogi Ferrell ... pretty good PG, right? We'd take him, correct?

Had 1 assist against Wisconsin tonight, and didn't get that until 2 mins remained in regulation. Had 30 points, though. Not too shabby.

He is averaging 6 assists, however, so obviously he can pass. Nearly 3 TOs, too.

Um...when did I say Howard isn't any good or I didn't want him at MU? All I said was his stats say he is a score first PG. that's all. He will be amazing wherever he goes

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2016, 11:10:00 PM »
Um...when did I say Howard isn't any good or I didn't want him at MU? All I said was his stats say he is a score first PG. that's all. He will be amazing wherever he goes

Please accept my apologies. I read too much into your post.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »
Watched the IU-NW game on Saturday with some pretty knowledgeable college basketball guys (a couple played PG in college).  I asked how MH compared to YF and in unison two of them said MH is better now in HS than YF was.  Better defense.  Not as quick, but still a good athlete.  Absolutely is the top target for MU now.  I still think it comes down to IU or MU.  Our biggest plus is SJ. 

Watched video and he has a unbelievable step back 3 already, but adds in a perfect form pull up jump shot from 3 and mid-range.  That was the one thing (MRJ) that was really pointed out.  The mid-range pull up jumper is almost a lost art. quick hands, moves feet well.  Ok body, but as usual will need to get stronger.  SJ really believes he is a game changer.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 09:10:09 PM »
Watched the IU-NW game on Saturday with some pretty knowledgeable college basketball guys (a couple played PG in college).  I asked how MH compared to YF and in unison two of them said MH is better now in HS than YF was.  Better defense.  Not as quick, but still a good athlete.  Absolutely is the top target for MU now.  I still think it comes down to IU or MU.  Our biggest plus is SJ. 

Watched video and he has a unbelievable step back 3 already, but adds in a perfect form pull up jump shot from 3 and mid-range.  That was the one thing (MRJ) that was really pointed out.  The mid-range pull up jumper is almost a lost art. quick hands, moves feet well.  Ok body, but as usual will need to get stronger.  SJ really believes he is a game changer.

Thanks BD! Any idea whether MH will be 2016 or 2017?

feedback