[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard deciding in April  (Read 27607 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Markus Howard deciding in April
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
Can you imagine JJJ and Cohen playing power forward and going up against Reynolds, Copeland, Delgado, Bentil, and the other BE power forwards.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2016, 03:11:18 PM »
Can you imagine JJJ and Cohen playing power forward and going up against Reynolds, Copeland, Delgado, Bentil, and the other BE power forwards.  Oh my......

This is what scares me as well. I'll add in two more freshman who would be matchup nightmares: Omari Spellman (Nova) & Thon Maker (likely visiting St John's again).

I want MH. But wouldn't be disappointed if we missed & landed two athletic or thick PF/C types

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:17 PM »
I agree he CAN improve especially on the offensive--and believe he will. He has very little defensive IQ and those concepts are much more difficult to grasp than an improved jump shot.

Yep. He mainly just goes for steals. Gets them sometimes, but when he doesn't he fouls or gets beat.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »
Traci looks the part, but the game is too fast for him right now.  It reminds me of Vander freshman and sophomore year where he knew what to do but could never finish.  Believe me Traci is not ready to be the starting PG - but I dont think I would write him off.

Defense wise he seems very serviceable -- just needs to foul less.

Right now, we're at that point where he plays because our options are so limited. But I agree in not writing him off. His shooting may not be there, but he doesn't lack confidence and his three point shooting is decent. He also has good vision for a PG. You can see he knows what he wants to do and where he wants to get guys the ball, he just sometimes doesn't know what he can and can't get away with. That entry pass to Luke (horrible angle turnover) in the St. John's game was a perfect example. In 1-2 years, I doubt he will be trying that.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
Right now, we're at that point where he plays because our options are so limited. But I agree in not writing him off. His shooting may not be there, but he doesn't lack confidence and his three point shooting is decent. He also has good vision for a PG. You can see he knows what he wants to do and where he wants to get guys the ball, he just sometimes doesn't know what he can and can't get away with. That entry pass to Luke (horrible angle turnover) in the St. John's game was a perfect example. In 1-2 years, I doubt he will be trying that.

I wouldn't write him off, either. But I wouldn't hitch my future to him.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:32:01 PM by Lennys Tap »

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
A little perspective.
Carter has played 474 minutes and has been called for 60 fouls.
Derrick Wilson as a freshmen played 292 minutes and in significantly less time was called for 51 fouls.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2016, 08:45:24 PM »
When TC came aboard my hope was we wouldnt compare him to  DWILL. I do hope the pg next year makes that stride and becomes a PG we all desire.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2016, 08:49:31 PM »
When TC came aboard my hope was we wouldnt compare him to  DWILL. I do hope the pg next year makes that stride and becomes a PG we all desire.

Nature of the beast, we have long defined our program by our point guards. I was one of Derrick's few fans, and I think Traci will become significantly better than Derrick was. He's playing like a freshman. I can live with that. I fully believe that he will be at worst the best PG we have had since Maurice Acker, and likely exceed Acker as well.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2016, 08:57:19 PM »
Traci is already better than junior year Derrick. I wouldn't worry about Traci playing at Derrick Wilson levels of ineptitude.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
Traci is a promising freshman player, that said I have never comfortable with him getting starter minutes. I think at 10-15 minutes this year he can be most effective. I believe has upside from here though. He is quick and understands the point guard position in the classic sense. I think over time his judgement offensively and defensively will improve and he will become a more effective player. One thing I do like is that he can shoot free throws at an appropriate level for a point guard 72.2%.

Rowsey is a proven success at the D1 level. He has had a year to get stronger, work on his skills and practice with the team. I think many are underestimating what he brings to the table.  Yes I realize most of his games were at the mid major level, however as Stephen Bardo pointed out several time this year the mid major guys are still scholarship D1 players and playing to compete.

Between Carter and Rowsey we will get some quality minutes at the PG next year. If we get Howard it would be a great addition if he is even a fraction of the hype. However, I would still rather see us get a stud rebounder with the last scholarship or two if Henry goes. We play in the Big East which in Wojo's words is a Mans conference.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2016, 10:50:41 PM »
Traci is a promising freshman player, that said I have never comfortable with him getting starter minutes. I think at 10-15 minutes this year he can be most effective. I believe has upside from here though. He is quick and understands the point guard position in the classic sense. I think over time his judgement offensively and defensively will improve and he will become a more effective player. One thing I do like is that he can shoot free throws at an appropriate level for a point guard 72.2%.

Rowsey is a proven success at the D1 level. He has had a year to get stronger, work on his skills and practice with the team. I think many are underestimating what he brings to the table.  Yes I realize most of his games were at the mid major level, however as Stephen Bardo pointed out several time this year the mid major guys are still scholarship D1 players and playing to compete.

Between Carter and Rowsey we will get some quality minutes at the PG next year. If we get Howard it would be a great addition if he is even a fraction of the hype. However, I would still rather see us get a stud rebounder with the last scholarship or two if Henry goes. We play in the Big East which in Wojo's words is a Mans conference.

I don't mean this in the wrong way, but to have concerns about Rowsey's size and his past performance against decent teams is reasonable. I am optimistic that he focuses on being a limited guy (vs. the high volume he's been in the past) who is a sharp shooter, because there I think he can achieve... but it's a big change. I'd like to see a 45% 3FG% shooter with 17% shots. I'd take that.

...but if you look game by game... he was bad against good teams. But, he was THE shooter.

Should be interesting.

I think he can be a player for us.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2016, 12:20:14 AM »
Can you imagine JJJ and Cohen playing power forward and going up against Reynolds, Copeland, Delgado, Bentil, and the other BE power forwards.  Oh my......

Then when Fischer gets in foul trouble (almost every game) Heldt will come in and get two offensive screens calls within four minutes. 

The team needs a PF after Henry leaves.  I realize the point guard situation is not currently the best, but is it adequate, because the PF position will not be.  With Rowsey's arrival next year, the squad has numerous guards who will be fighting for playing time.  If MU does obtain a commitment from another PG, I would not be shocked if one of the current ones left for being recruited over. Who knows.......

Marquette was at its best when it was undersized. I'll take my chances.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2016, 07:57:03 AM »
I don't mean this in the wrong way, but to have concerns about Rowsey's size and his past performance against decent teams is reasonable. I am optimistic that he focuses on being a limited guy (vs. the high volume he's been in the past) who is a sharp shooter, because there I think he can achieve... but it's a big change. I'd like to see a 45% 3FG% shooter with 17% shots. I'd take that.

...but if you look game by game... he was bad against good teams. But, he was THE shooter.

Should be interesting.

Who was the last guy to shoot 45% from 3?  Steve Novak?  Yeah, I would also take that.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
Who was the last guy to shoot 45% from 3?  Steve Novak?  Yeah, I would also take that.

Maurice Acker shot 49.5% from beyond the arc in 2010. DJO was 47.4% from deep the same season.

Slim

• All American
« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »

Should be interesting.

What eFG% are you looking for? Or is that only significant for team stats?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
Maurice Acker shot 49.5% from beyond the arc in 2010. DJO was 47.4% from deep the same season.

Gotcha--thanks.
45% from Rowsey would be way more than I would expect, but man would that be a nice change.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2016, 11:30:14 AM »
What eFG% are you looking for? Or is that only significant for team stats?

eFG% is critical always. Talking about FG% is foolish. Talking about the individual components of eFG% is smart.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2016, 01:39:29 PM »
Traci is already better than junior year Derrick. I wouldn't worry about Traci playing at Derrick Wilson levels of ineptitude.

Ahem

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2016, 03:33:56 PM »
We've got to be the front runners now!!!

Big win for us. And Indiana almost lost to the gophers at home!!!

Should be any day now that he commits.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2016, 04:02:39 PM »
Ahem

Traci shot it great today - without him we lose.

feedback