Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Markus Howard deciding in April  (Read 27605 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Markus Howard deciding in April
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:47 PM »
Thanks BD! Any idea whether MH will be 2016 or 2017?

Not BD, but highly likely he reclassifies to 2016.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:33 PM »
90% 2016  Only reason he doesn't is if he doesn't (I know double negative-- English was my worst class at MU.. $1.00 pitchers at the gym was number 1) have an option for 2016 he really likes.  Can't see him turning down both IU and MU or one of the other options for 2016, unless one of the BB comes a knocking but only for 2017. 

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
Absolutely is the top target for MU now.  I still think it comes down to IU or MU.  Our biggest plus is SJ. 

Home state ASU is out after he just visited there recently? That's interesting & good to hear

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2016, 09:33:06 AM »
Home state ASU is out after he just visited there recently?

Far from it.

And if I'm making a semi-educated guess as to where he ends up, ASU is who I'd pick.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 09:34:42 AM by MUfan12 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
This would be a giant get.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2016, 11:03:53 AM »
This would be a giant get.

I agree. I am really impressed with his composure and abilities. SJ seems to have his ear. Would love to see a commit in February.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2016, 11:38:06 AM »
Baylor & Indiana both have impressive 5'11 senior PG who need to be replaced, without any PG commits for 2016 yet.

I'm fairly optimistic after BD gave his input though. Looking forward to his visit

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2016, 12:14:56 PM »
Home state ASU is out after he just visited there recently? That's interesting & good to hear

He already decommitted from them once. The school didnt appeal to him, just the coaches, one oh whom is now working for us. From what I've gathered Howard has a really good relationship with Stan Johnson. If our backcourt wasn't so crowded, I think he would have committed already. Make him comfortable with his role on our team and he's ours.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2016, 12:16:59 PM »
Make him comfortable with his role on our team and he's ours.

Is this just your guess?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2016, 12:18:53 PM »
Is this just your guess?

An educated guess. But trying to predict what a 17 year old kid will do in the future is always guesswork.
TAMU

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2016, 12:26:07 PM »
He already decommitted from them once. The school didnt appeal to him, just the coaches, one oh whom is now working for us.

And then Hurley took over.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2016, 12:28:37 PM »
And then Hurley took over.

Everything I've heard leads me to believe that Howard's relationship with Johnson is much better than any relationship he has with anyone currently at ASU.
TAMU

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »
An educated guess. But trying to predict what a 17 year old kid will do in the future is always guesswork.

Just checking, I know your a highly respected poster. Didn't know if you had any BD super sources  :) thanks!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2016, 12:55:15 PM »
He already decommitted from them once. The school didnt appeal to him, just the coaches, one oh whom is now working for us. From what I've gathered Howard has a really good relationship with Stan Johnson. If our backcourt wasn't so crowded, I think he would have committed already. Make him comfortable with his role on our team and he's ours.
You have pointed out the one thing that I think is preventing him from committing to us. We are loaded at the back court with guys who have 2-3 years left. Not enough minutes . 

80 minutes of guard time.  Duane and Cheatem each getting 30 a game next year. That leaves 20 for Carter, Rowsey and Howard . 40 minutes Wing time allocated to JJJ, Cohen,Sacar and Wally so no meaningful  time there.  Even if we go to a small lineup with one big, there are 8 guys in the mix ahead of him.  I guarantee the kid is smart enough to see that.

I think our coaches will have to do a lot of selling to get him to reclassify to a 2016. Now if he is coming as a 2017 closing the deal may be a little bit easier.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2016, 12:55:52 PM »
You have pointed out the one thing that I think is preventing him from committing to us. We are loaded at the back court with guys who have 2-3 years left. Not enough minutes . 

80 minutes of guard time.  Duane and Cheatem each getting 30 a game next year. That leaves 20 for Carter, Rowsey and Howard . 40 minutes Wing time allocated to JJJ, Cohen,Sacar and Wally so no meaningful  time there.  Even if we go to a small lineup with one big, there are 8 guys in the mix ahead of him.  I guarantee the kid is smart enough to see that.

I think our coaches will have to do a lot of selling to get him to reclassify to a 2016. Now if he is coming as a 2017 closing the deal may be a little bit easier.

He would start from day 1 on Marquette.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2016, 01:00:58 PM »
Just checking, I know your a highly respected poster. Didn't know if you had any BD super sources  :) thanks!

No one has Big Daddy super sources, besides Big Daddy. lol
TAMU

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
Over Who? Duane,Cheatem, Rowsey? Carter?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2016, 01:03:51 PM »

I think so too. I don't know if he would start at the point though. I don't know what the coaches envision as his role or what Howard's desired role would be. Gotta believe Indiana and Baylor are whispering about our crowded backcourt and their stud PGs about to graduate. It would give me pause if I was in his shoes.
TAMU

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2016, 01:06:57 PM »

He would start at PG. 2 of Duane, Cheatham, and JJ would start alongside him. Could even go small and have all of those guys with Luke at the 5. Don't think Carter starts if MH is on the team. I have no idea about Rowsey.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
I have no idea about Rowsey.

That's what I keep thinking. Wojo was looking for this type of player when he landed Rowsey. Now it seems like he could find an even better version. But what happens to Rowsey?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2016, 01:22:18 PM »

I see next year's team as a very fast paced four guard lineup. Sacrifice rebounding for speed, shooting, and steals.

Way too early to do this but its always fun to guess. Assuming Henry leaves, no grad transfer, and Howard comes

Guards (2): Duane 25, Howard 20, Carter 20, Rowsey 15
Wings (2): JJJ 25, Hannie 25, Sandy 15, Wally 10, Sacar 5
Centers: Luke 30, Matt 10
Redshirt: Hauser

Wojo has shown over two seasons now that he believes more in a "lead guard" position than a point guard. He's not afraid to have multiple ball handlers out there at once.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 01:24:40 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2016, 01:32:34 PM »
Seems to me the most important factor MU has going for it is that MH trusts SJ.  MH's mom said SJ is "like family".  She would trust him to coach/mentor her son.

Trying to allocate hypothetical minutes played is pointless/futile. The players determine their minutes played.  Case in point: Recently JJJ has earned more minutes because he's playing well.

Wojo's job is to recruit over his current players.  If a players gets less time because someone is playing better than him he has three choices:

1. Work hard to play better and earn more minutes
2. Accept his diminished role
3. Transfer

That's life...
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2016, 01:38:09 PM »
That's what I keep thinking. Wojo was looking for this type of player when he landed Rowsey. Now it seems like he could find an even better version. But what happens to Rowsey?

Rowsey will get plenty of run. Don't think he starts. My hope is that he gives us a much-needed scoring spark off the bench. We were SO bad with our second five on the floor yesterday. Need guys off the bench that can stretch leads or end dry spells. I think Rowsey will do that.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 01:51:07 PM »
I see next year's team as a very fast paced four guard lineup. Sacrifice rebounding for speed, shooting, and steals.

I like that way of playing but don't see how you pull it off with Big Fish on the court and Heldt when he is not.  Teams that do that effectively usually have an athletic but possibly undersized center.  Its going to take time to get Fisher up and down the court.  Even more I would have to expect your 6'11" SENIOR center would be a focus of you offense.  Maybe if you have 4 good shooters on the floor you play 1 in 4 out where Fisher either tries to score in the post or kicks out to an open shooter for 3. BUT that assumes that our guys become consistent 3 point shooters, something no one has shown.
I'm afraid the personnel just don't match.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 02:04:17 PM »
Howard, Rowsey, Cheatham as a starting backcourt.  Duane, Traci, and JJJ the 1st 3 off the bench.  Could switch Cheatham and Duane depending on who's performing at the time.