[Today at 01:25:20 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread  (Read 220723 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Scoop Airport/Hotel/Travel Thread
« Reply #2275 on: May 20, 2024, 07:32:28 PM »
Well, I've driven all around Orlando and the surrounding area. Used to go there for work. I don't remember seeing anything there that made me say, "Wow, this is special. I gotta get back and see that again." But you're right; perhaps outside the touristy areas, there is not much objectionable, either.

I'll probably go to Orlando again someday if my wife ever participates in a grandkids-to-Disney trip. I've already said that I'm willing to foot the bill but that I'll be playing golf and enjoying a beverage somewhere well away from theme parks. I've already been to Disney/Universal more than a person needs to go there, and have no plans to go again.

Disney is not really anywhere near Orlando. But Lake Eola in downtown Orlando is a nice spot to hang. Good craft brewery and other nice outdoor venues.
Winder Park (in no way to be confused with Winter Haven) is also a nice place to hang. Heck, you may even run into a  MU alum couple that live there, especially since he isn't currently busy with his job, now that his season has ended.  ;)

Ive never seen the appeal of Greater Orlando, besides Disney/greater Kissimmee attractions.  But I know a couple people who have the money to live/retire in large fashion wherever they wanted who have retired to/have a winter spot in the area (despite having no other ties to the area).  So clearly there is some appeal.  One actually swapped a $$$ house in the greater Palm Beach area for another pricey pad in Orlando, so there must be some draws.

Now that I live less than a 2 hour drive away, I'm sure I'll see some more parts of it other than Disney or the massive Gaylord Resort and Convention Center.  Hell, I always thought Winter Haven was weird/unappealing as a spot, but drove around it a few weeks ago and was kind of impressed with how nice some of it was.  Not for me, but my former coworker who retired there didn't seem as bizarre.

I was born in Orlando, but raised and now live in the Palm Beach area. Would not swap houses back to Orlando. But little pbiflyer is currently a student at UCF.
Winter Haven must have changed a ton since I worked there.  Winter Park appealing, Winter Haven, no. Even the old part around the big lake is quaint at best.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #2276 on: May 20, 2024, 07:41:48 PM »
People fly to MCO because it's better than 2 days in the car with the kids.  It doesn't need to be a good airport, it just needs to be better than the alternative.

You’re severely undermining the convention crowd that has to go through MCO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2277 on: May 20, 2024, 09:57:38 PM »
Disney is not really anywhere near Orlando. But Lake Eola in downtown Orlando is a nice spot to hang. Good craft brewery and other nice outdoor venues.
Winder Park (in no way to be confused with Winter Haven) is also a nice place to hang. Heck, you may even run into a  MU alum couple that live there, especially since he isn't currently busy with his job, now that his season has ended.  ;)

Thanks for the tips. I'll be needing those and more to survive if I ever go back to the area while the rest of the family is at WDW.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: Today at 08:52:33 AM »
You’re severely undermining the convention crowd that has to go through MCO.

Well, they could fly to Sanford. But that means flying on airlines that make Southwest cabins look spacious.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #2279 on: Today at 10:54:13 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll be needing those and more to survive if I ever go back to the area while the rest of the family is at WDW.
Worst case scenario, Disney Springs isn't an awful place to spend a few hours. A couple nice bars and restaurants. Jaleo, the Jose Andres restaurant is great, but pricey.
A good option for Sunday for the family is Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues, followed by a matinee performance at Cirque du Soleil. 
The Boat House is nice for waterside drinking. Stick the kids on the line for the Amphibious cars and relax with a cocktail (I've, of course, never done that, but heard it is an option)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2280 on: Today at 11:17:35 AM »
Worst case scenario, Disney Springs isn't an awful place to spend a few hours. A couple nice bars and restaurants. Jaleo, the Jose Andres restaurant is great, but pricey.
A good option for Sunday for the family is Sunday Gospel Brunch at House of Blues, followed by a matinee performance at Cirque du Soleil. 
The Boat House is nice for waterside drinking. Stick the kids on the line for the Amphibious cars and relax with a cocktail (I've, of course, never done that, but heard it is an option)
I, of course, read the bolded as Manatee which sounded interesting.  Stupid Manatees...

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2281 on: Today at 11:32:29 AM »
Act I Scene II
Granchild #1- I want to ride the Jungle Cruise with GrandpaMU82!
Grandchild #2-me too! That is his kind of humor
Parent-sorry kids, Gramps likes his peace and quiet more than he likes you. You can talk to him tonight from the hours of 7-8:30. It's his bedtime then.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: Today at 12:59:48 PM »
Act I Scene II
Granchild #1- I want to ride the Jungle Cruise with GrandpaMU82!
Grandchild #2-me too! That is his kind of humor
Parent-sorry kids, Gramps likes his peace and quiet more than he likes you. You can talk to him tonight from the hours of 7-8:30. It's his bedtime then.

That sounds perfect!

And the hugs I'll get when they're done with WDW and we're back together again will be great, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback