collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job hunting 101  (Read 19097 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Job hunting 101
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2017, 08:10:20 PM »
Wow, some of you guys are real a$$holes.

To most of you, ChiTown is just a faceless poster on a fansite, but I know him personally, and he is a fine young man.  I know that many of you are old and cynical and gave up on your dream career aspirations decades ago, but that does not give you the right to try to destroy someone else's.

None of you have any clue whether or not ChiTown has the talent or drive it takes to make it as a sports journalist, but many of you choose to tell him he will fail.  How dare you? Is it that you are jealous that he has the stones to pursue his dream, while you toil away as a  corporate drone while wondering what might have been?  Would it kill any of you to give this young man some encouragement (and for those of you that have, thanks)?

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to  PM ChiTown with my own advice.  And maybe some of you should meditate a little on why you would act so hateful towards a young person who only wanted a little jobseeking help from his fellow Warriors.

I've actually been impressed with the outpouring of help, encouragement and sound advice for a young man that started the thread with a vague "SOS."  And while you know him, you did earlier wonder what happened to his pursuit of PT, which I assume still means physical therapy.  Perhaps he should consider falling back on that career for the time being while pursuing his dream.

My impression of ChiTown comes from his posts.  You know him, and therefore I'll take your word that he's a fine young man.  But my impressions of you are also formed by what you post here.  And those posts are typically informative, often clever, and many times thought provoking.

On the other hand, Chitown's are often smug, name calling (go back and look at the number of times he calls other posters "prick"--maybe they deserve it, but it's still name calling, which to me lacks thoughtful retort) and immature.  I do wish him well.  But does a little ribbing really mean those who did so are mean spirited?  Again, I'm impressed with the amount of solid advice he's gotten.

Oh, and I too agree with your idea regarding a job board on Scoop
Ludum habemus.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:08 PM »
But my impressions of you are also formed by what you post here.  And those posts are typically informative, often clever, and many times thought provoking. 

God help me.  C'mon guys, how 'bout a little help here!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Chitown,

Politics has nothing to do with values. 

I work with people with vastly different political views. We get a ton of work done, and are extremely productive.  We have great, similar values. 

I got lucky and married someone who "tolerates" me.  Our political differences couldn't be further apart.  I Out kicked my coverage.

By the way, Obama sucked and Trump sucks. Two extremists.  There you go mods. Na na nah nah na na  :D

High productivity and low values equals poison.

Soooo, the morale of this lesson is to network your a$$ off. Contact Keefe, 'never, and Rocket and ask them who they know.  Remember, we are all Warriors. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 08:40:44 PM »
I hope Chi lands a great gig and really mean he hits it out of the park. That said, I was raised differently, and do feel older folks have earned a level of respect. I am not at that level, but 4ever and Keefe have earned it. Funny thing is they are not much older than I am, yet I respect their experience and advice.
Will add that Sir falls into the same camp. When Sir speaks I always read closely.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 08:46:37 PM by Goose »

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 08:43:25 PM »
God help me.  C'mon guys, how 'bout a little help here!

I said "typically," not "universally."

And I assume you live your life by the same adage that I do:  "A happy wife is a happy life."
Ludum habemus.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
Goose, all I can say is you were raised by one of the best.

"Too Soon The Sun Sets In The West!"
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 25, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »
Sir

I thank the Good Lord everyday for the life I have been given. We both are blessed men. My Dad told me to wear my pajama bottom knees in prayer and I took him seriously.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 09:41:36 PM by Sultan of Slap O' Fivin' »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: April 25, 2017, 10:20:34 PM »
I hope Chi lands a great gig and really mean he hits it out of the park. That said, I was raised differently, and do feel older folks have earned a level of respect. I am not at that level, but 4ever and Keefe have earned it. Funny thing is they are not much older than I am, yet I respect their experience and advice.
Will add that Sir falls into the same camp. When Sir speaks I always read closely.

I was raised differently too. I was raised to respect people regardless of their age. I was also raised to believe that when I am the older person in the room, I have responsibility to model mature behavior, and to give help and wisdom when asked for it, instead of condescension and scorn.

From what I can tell, Chitown came here asking for help and was very appreciative of the advice given to him. Two decided to, in 4ever's own words, give him sh*t. One of them, Buckchuckler, has since manned up, explained why he said what he said and apologized. I can't read most of what 4ever writes, but I translated it as "screw him, I can say what I want."

Now Chitown didn't respond well. He blew up. Bad moves by both parties. I guess between a 20 something fresh out of college and an old timer with doctorate, I expect more from the latter.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2017, 02:46:26 AM »
I know several journalism types who have done just that.   They thrive because they actually know about journalism. 

Such folks can even join the soft services like the Air Force or the Navy if they aren't too rah rah about military life  ;)

Yo, Top!

Not that I would ever dare correct a Shirt but remember that knowing about something is different than being effective at doing something.

And you know and I know that booger eaters don't fare well among snake eaters and we both know that our would-be Damon Runyon has far more snot in his mouth than reptile scales.

And before you go labelling Warthog drivers as cheeseburger eating Pepsi swilling civilians remember that a lot of us are barrel-chested, Ranger-tabbed TACPs who HALO it in at night to hang it all out there deep inside Indian country for our ground pounding brethren in Big Green.

Nothing stains a Haji's Calvins faster than an A 10 rolling in hot with a team lasing their pathway to 72 cherries.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2017, 03:15:19 AM »

Young people sometimes act unwise?  No kidding.

But what's keefe's and your excuses for being haughty dipsh*ts?

Is it your mundane existence in a life of quiet desperation which causes you to lash out at others as you do with incredible frequency and remarkable predictability?

Life is about choices. Some choose to live on the edge while others write about those who do. And both can be noble outcomes.

But then there are those who stew in their mediocrity, biting back the bitter bile of plodding, dreary monotony. Their lack of distinction and tedious vapid banality chokes out the dreams of youth as they settle into middle age as the waistline swells, hairline recedes, and hope vanishes.

“Day after day he roamed about in the arctic cold, his soul filled full of bitterness and despair. He saw the world of civilization then more plainly than ever he had seen it before; a world in which nothing counted but brutal might, an order devised by those who possessed it for the subjugation of those who did not.”    Upton Sinclair

Death on call

Goose

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
Keefe

Good stuff, my friend. Really good stuff!!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »
Is it your mundane existence in a life of quiet desperation which causes you to lash out at others as you do with incredible frequency and remarkable predictability?

Life is about choices. Some choose to live on the edge while others write about those who do. And both can be noble outcomes.

But then there are those who stew in their mediocrity, biting back the bitter bile of plodding, dreary monotony. Their lack of distinction and tedious vapid banality chokes out the dreams of youth as they settle into middle age as the waistline swells, hairline recedes, and hope vanishes.

I KNEW IT!  I knew this would be your response.  You are so darn predictable.  When called out for acting like a haughty dipsh*t, you double down.  You use words that try to make you look intellectually superior and even provide a quote or two.  It's so cute!!!

Anyways, I work with adults Chitown's age and slightly younger every day of the week.  I have kids the same age.  Here is what I know.  Many of them are very intelligent, but usually aren't wise.  That means they don't always know what they don't know and do and say things that are questionable.  I have learned that it is best to show them why their choice wasn't the best, and let their intelligence guide them the rest of the way.

But instead 4ever used the opportunity to "give him sh*t" and you used the opportunity to put him down and call into question the validity of his advanced degree.  These are responses more about putting someone in their place versus giving advice. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 07:47:48 AM »
Keefe

Good stuff, my friend. Really good stuff!!

Really?  You need better role models.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2017, 08:06:35 AM »
Nah, knot 'bout givin' chit. Ratther, understandin' dat actions have consequences. Dez are not kidz. Young adults who are 'spected to bee contributin' 'members of society. I'm blessed wit a great memory. I 'member Milwaukee Suburb's response when Trump one. Dis ain't my country no more. Well, man up and deel wit it. Ya get another shot in fore years. In da meentyme, don't bite da hand dat feeds ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
Nm

Out of over 21000 Sultan messages my favorite
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »
Out of over 21000 Sultan messages my favorite

+1

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
Nah, knot 'bout givin' chit. Ratther, understandin' dat actions have consequences. Dez are not kidz. Young adults who are 'spected to bee contributin' 'members of society. I'm blessed wit a great memory. I 'member Milwaukee Suburb's response when Trump one. Dis ain't my country no more. Well, man up and deel wit it. Ya get another shot in fore years. In da meentyme, don't bite da hand dat feeds ya, hey?

Huh?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2017, 08:54:57 AM »
Huh?

4Never's mouth must be full of Novocain and cotton rolls.
Have some patience, FFS.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »
Sultan

One thing, and maybe only thing, I have learned in life is to identify good character in people. There are many good folks on Scoop and respect each and everyone in different ways. 4ever and Keefe have proven to be men of high character, great love of MU ball and successful men in their fields. Do not consider either one a role model, but proudly consider them friends.

Over the past several years, two guys that have never met me in person have taken the time to help, support and provide advice when requested. To me, those are men of character. May not always agree with them on every post and have pointed that out to them over the years. Best part is that every communication I have had with them, respect was on full display.

If that was your best post in 21k posts to some people on here I think they missed the boat on you. We seldom agree on MU ball, but I think you have contributed a ton of great posts over the 21k posts. Like several others on here before you, I do appreciate your advice. Unfortunately I think I will follow my own thoughts and continue to look forward to communication from my two internet buddies!!!!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 26, 2017, 09:44:11 AM »
If a person is not a liberal when he is twenty, he has no heart; if he is not a conservative when he is forty, he has no head.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 26, 2017, 09:45:52 AM »
For young sports journalist hopefuls such as Chitown, ESPN's layoffs are like a great disturbance in the Force.

About 100 people, including dozens of reporters, are expected to be let go. Names are coming out in dribs and drabs, including NFL, NHL and MLB reporters as of right now. All of them have said something along the lines of, "I look forward to the next chapter of my career."

Many of these people are very good and will find other jobs, but those jobs will be lower profile and will not pay as well. And the whole thing creates a domino effect. The ESPN hockey writer gets dumped and lands at XYZ "content provider," which means that provider is not hiring somebody else, and so on and so on. It puts a squeeze on new hires.

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, just trying to keep it real.

Chitown, I wish you luck because you are going to need it.

When I graduated MU in 1982, just about nobody in the biz was hiring - actually there was a big recession going on, and there wasn't much hiring in any biz. Through total dumb luck, I was one of three Jour '82 grads to land a full-time job in the profession. Someday, I'll tell you the story. I'd love to say it was because I was highly skilled, but it really was effen luck. I hope you are the recipient of the same!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #97 on: April 26, 2017, 09:54:37 AM »
TAMU

I agree with your post that the older you get the more responsibility you have to show respect and guidance for the younger crowd. I actually take great pride in my communication with the younger crowd and am routinely asked for advice from many of my kid's friends. That advice ranges from relationships, career and life in general and really one of my favorite things about getting older.

It is funny, but in PM you mentioned that I had it rough on Scoop this year and hoped it did not keep me away from Scoop moving forward. Those words were much appreciated, but shared in private. For whatever reason, this year became the young folks bashing the old folks. I am far too lazy to look back but I would think I was ripped countless times for my thoughts/age. Seems to me there is quite the double standard these days.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #98 on: April 26, 2017, 10:08:07 AM »
TAMU

I agree with your post that the older you get the more responsibility you have to show respect and guidance for the younger crowd. I actually take great pride in my communication with the younger crowd and am routinely asked for advice from many of my kid's friends. That advice ranges from relationships, career and life in general and really one of my favorite things about getting older.

It is funny, but in PM you mentioned that I had it rough on Scoop this year and hoped it did not keep me away from Scoop moving forward. Those words were much appreciated, but shared in private. For whatever reason, this year became the young folks bashing the old folks. I am far too lazy to look back but I would think I was ripped countless times for my thoughts/age. Seems to me there is quite the double standard these days.

I can't speak for all the young folks but I'd say it's at least in part because we were sick of the constant patronizing and belittling from the older generation as if we don't have a clue about hoops along with the constant perverted and quite frankly disgusting posts, specifically from your two "internet buddies" talking about kids who are the same age as yours half the time.

Maybe it's just me but if I had a kid graduating college and two of my buddies were making sexual comments constantly about girls that kid's age then I'd have to at least second guess some of my own ability to "identify good character" and I think that the younger generation recognized that almost none of the older posters look in the mirror and got sick of it.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 26, 2017, 10:21:25 AM »
Bagpipingboxer

I think there are several of the younger crowd that know ball quite well and several of the older crowd that could not tell you how far the free line is from the basket. I can only speak for myself, but negative comments I have about knowing basketball is geared to the folks that do not know basketball on here. I could not care less if age 12 or 83. If you do not know ball, I will argue my point. It does make me laugh the number of times I was flat out told to leave the board, shut up or basically called stupid. It might have taken me 8.5 years to graduate MU, but I have pretty good understanding of game.

As for your comment regarding perverted or disgusting posts, as a whole I do not read them or gloss over them. I am here to talk MU ball and ball in general. While I may very well engage in locker room talk with my friends, I do not believe I have never engaged in similar manner on here. I try very hard to know my audience and the older I get, the better I get on knowing my audience.

feedback