[Today at 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[Today at 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job hunting 101  (Read 18926 times)

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
Re: Job hunting 101
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2017, 01:14:20 PM »
Join the military and become a public affairs officer.  You will learn a lot, including what journalists don't know.

Better yet, the Foreign Service. Not a great time to be at the State Department but it takes a while to go through the process (took me almost 2 years from start to finish, though I ended up not going) and administrations always turn over. They have a public affairs track a j-school student would be perfect for. Plus, you get to live abroad, work out of embassies, and be a part of an elite group of people doing important work. Can't recommend it enough.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2017, 01:16:31 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the reverse it would be real difficult to find my scoop profile from my other things. Besides my occasional political rants I'm pretty reasonable on here. I'm not too bothered if a few of you geezers have found out who I am. Nothing to hide.

Again, thanks all for the advice already made a few changes to the resume.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »
Not particularly helpful... but I'm glad you got to feel like a big dude on the internet today.

Hmm, right back at you.  Or do you fancy yourself a defender of the downtrodden or something? 

« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 01:19:31 PM by buckchuckler »

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2017, 01:24:53 PM »
Don't write for Bleacher Report. Don't click on Bleacher Report links. Don't share Bleacher Report links. If you have any regard for the future quality of journalism generally, or their writers well-being specifically, starve Bleacher Report of traffic until it's valueless, closed, and the world metaphorically salted the earth of its business model for all time.

http://deadspin.com/the-top-200-ways-bleacher-report-screwed-me-over-1608499729

Ok, upon further reading, you may actually be my hero...Those guys are the worst. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Ok, upon further reading, you may actually be my hero...Those guys are the worst.

BR is a soulless vampire, draining the vitality from the desperate and idealistic masses of people who aspire to be journalists. Screw those guys and I'll take my hypocrisy criticism if need be. (although I don't think advising someone to avoid a bad employer is necessarily without value).

In any respect, well internet-ed today, sir.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
Don't write for Bleacher Report. Don't click on Bleacher Report links. Don't share Bleacher Report links. If you have any regard for the future quality of journalism generally, or their writers well-being specifically, starve Bleacher Report of traffic until it's valueless, closed, and the world metaphorically salted the earth of its business model for all time.

http://deadspin.com/the-top-200-ways-bleacher-report-screwed-me-over-1608499729

Well that or you could actually increase the credibility of their site and accept that it's a massive platform to get your name out there and put some good stuff in your portfolio.

Also the guy in the article says he chose Santa Clara over Marquette and Gonzaga so I don't think he's as big into sports as he claims to be.
Maigh Eo for Sam

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2017, 02:41:50 PM »
Couldn't hurt to reach out MU alumni in that area.  Brad Galli comes to mind, recent grad and would seem to be able to offer tips on the current atmosphere in that field.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2017, 02:48:49 PM »
Part of the reason I'm coming back is to fight my ass off and speak out against the fascist government and your fuhrer. Thanks for playing thought.

Well, if you are serious about starting a career in your heimat you should consider getting a real advanced degree from a top university in the land you so loathe.

I would also strongly recommend that you keep your stridently belligerent political commentary to yourself as most employers not only don't give a sh1t what your view is on politics, religion, race, etc... but, more importantly, don't want an insufferable a$$hole in their workplace.

Frankly, when I interviewed people at PepsiCo and GE Capital I placed more emphasis on the personality and cultural fit of the candidate than I did on their functional expertise.

And I am sincere in saying that your credentials are important. My work was in Strategic Planning and Corporate Development so my employers recruited aggressively from a small number of top MBA programs.

Obviously, as MNCs, we hired staff from all over the world. In Europe, the best credential was an INSEAD MBA but we also hired from Cambridge, London Business School, IE, Warwick, and Esade.

Bottom line is drop the faux outrage at America and get a proper credential that you can lever into a genuine career.

You may be a smart fellow but how you get along with others is far more important if you are sincere about wanting to join a thriving successful team. 

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2017, 02:55:12 PM »
Join the military and become a public affairs officer. 

Puhleeze...

Death on call

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:39 PM »
As an alum, you're generally eligible to use MU career services, and most Jesuit schools let you use theirs as well. I'd guess that could help you with contacts in various cities.

Also, don't assume your anonymity on here or anywhere. There's a lot of information on the internet, and people can piece things together relatively easily.
[/color]

Damn if that isn't true. Just opened a Vanguard account and they knew more about me than I know about me.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
Keefe and 4ever

It literally is a complete waste of time providing advise to the poster. He is smarter than both of you, don't you know that?

On another note, actually you provided very sound advice and I will share it with my daughter. She graduates in a few weeks and she is putting herself in position for long term success. Looks like work for a couple of years and off to get an MBA.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Keefe and 4ever

It literally is a complete waste of time providing advise to the poster. He is smarter than both of you, don't you know that?

Actually he has been open about accepting advice throughout this thread. 

Again, thanks all for the advice already made a few changes to the resume.

Thanks all for the help by the way, I appreciate it.

Thanks, I'll get right on that one.

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:18 PM »
Puhleeze...

I know several journalism types who have done just that.   They thrive because they actually know about journalism. 

Such folks can even join the soft services like the Air Force or the Navy if they aren't too rah rah about military life  ;)

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Wouldn't be scoop without old lingering p*ssing matches that people just cannot let die. Maybe someone could bring up a few posters that aren't around anymore, or an ex-coach, maybe a player who transferred years ago?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2017, 03:41:05 PM »
Sultan

He lost me with his reply to 4ever.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2017, 03:44:39 PM »
If being a sports journalist doesn't work out, you can always open a Blockbuster Video.

Seriously, I'd consider a profession that's going to still be around in 10 years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2017, 03:47:53 PM »
Sultan

He lost me with his reply to 4ever.

It wasn't a great response. But 4ever provoked it, not the other way around. He came on here asking for help and two separate posters attacked him for his political beliefs. If you're going to call out someone for spitting political venom call out all the people involved.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2017, 04:36:44 PM »
It wasn't a great response. But 4ever provoked it, not the other way around. He came on here asking for help and two separate posters attacked him for his political beliefs. If you're going to call out someone for spitting political venom call out all the people involved.

Ok, one of those was me.  Got called out already.  Shouldn't have done it.  Bad me <slaps on wrist>. 

Below is my (probably insane-and certainly trite, likely nonsensical, but somewhat self soothing) rationale.

If you think I am an idiot already or want nothing to do with the ramblings of me or just don't care about more OT gibberish, please do not continue to read.

Sorry.  I didn't do it because of his political beliefs.  Usually I can't keep straight who falls where and what not.  I remembered his because of all the " the US sucks nonsense, Europe is great" then switching his picture to a flag that has oppressed more people than any other in the history of the world (nor sure if this is numerically or historically accurate, but they are certainly pretty darn close to the top).

*********** OK nonsense over.

This next bit is the important part.

I acted in a way that was well, craptttty.  So I am sorry about that. 

Chitown, I am sorry.  You will get no more crap from me (at least about this, I am open to giving you crap in the future about other, more fun stuff).  I did not treat you fairly or with any degree of understanding, I would hope that others have the compassion to treat me better than I treated you, so in the future I will be more judicious in what I post.  Please accept this as a formal apology of me being an ass. 

In conclusion. Sorry to get off topic.  Sorry to be the one that began with the off topic nonsense.  Self imposed posting ban for 1 week.  Again, sorry (this time to the entire Scoop community)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
If being a sports journalist doesn't work out, you can always open a Blockbuster Video.

Seriously, I'd consider a profession that's going to still be around in 10 years.

Wow, some of you guys are real a$$holes.

To most of you, ChiTown is just a faceless poster on a fansite, but I know him personally, and he is a fine young man.  I know that many of you are old and cynical and gave up on your dream career aspirations decades ago, but that does not give you the right to try to destroy someone else's.

None of you have any clue whether or not ChiTown has the talent or drive it takes to make it as a sports journalist, but many of you choose to tell him he will fail.  How dare you? Is it that you are jealous that he has the stones to pursue his dream, while you toil away as a  corporate drone while wondering what might have been?  Would it kill any of you to give this young man some encouragement (and for those of you that have, thanks)?

Now if you will excuse me, I am going to  PM ChiTown with my own advice.  And maybe some of you should meditate a little on why you would act so hateful towards a young person who only wanted a little jobseeking help from his fellow Warriors.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:31:38 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2017, 05:44:04 PM »
Yo Chitown,

Why not try to parlay your knowledge of American sports into a job in Europe, assuming you haven't tried already?  I would think that someone in Europe who knows basketball, college basketball, football, baseball, etc., would be more valuable there than someone who knows soccer, cricket, rugby, etc., here. 

(I'm aware that getting a job as a foreigner is hard in Europe.  Very hard.  But it's worth trying)

Also, just to be sure, unless you are a distinguished scholar, your CV (resume) should be one page.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
I would still like to re-suggest what Chick recommend a while back...a Scoop board for jobs/networking/career help.

"ScoopedIn"?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »
I would still like to re-suggest what Chick recommend a while back...a Scoop board for jobs/networking/career help.

"ScoopedIn"?

+1 on this, there's been two instances I've thought about suggesting that/asking for career advice on here and a job board would be great.
Maigh Eo for Sam

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 06:53:40 PM »

Four da record, as ya may recall, da youngun all butt renounced his citizenship once the results of our last presidential election became obvious. He was, and continues to be completely repulsed by our president. Why? Who da fook nos, butt disgusted nun da less.
Reguardless, democracy reigned on his parade. Totally pissed da dude off. Now he kneeds a job. Shazam, may only bee available in da good, ol' USA. Man, I'm ready ta come on hom, get dat gig, and enlighten all of us how fooked up da White House really is. Well, it don't work dat wey. Der are reprocussions four one's actions and eatin' a little chit on dis board is minor compeared ta reel life, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 07:17:32 PM »

Four da record, as ya may recall, da youngun all butt renounced his citizenship once the results of our last presidential election became obvious. He was, and continues to be completely repulsed by our president. Why? Who da fook nos, butt disgusted nun da less.
Reguardless, democracy reigned on his parade. Totally pissed da dude off. Now he kneeds a job. Shazam, may only bee available in da good, ol' USA. Man, I'm ready ta come on hom, get dat gig, and enlighten all of us how fooked up da White House really is. Well, it don't work dat wey. Der are reprocussions four one's actions and eatin' a little chit on dis board is minor compeared ta reel life, ai na?

Young people sometimes act unwise?  No kidding.

But what's keefe's and your excuses for being haughty dipsh*ts?