[Today at 03:21:55 PM]

Banquet by tower912
[Today at 01:37:41 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[Today at 01:23:01 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MuMark
[April 27, 2024, 04:23:26 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Job hunting 101  (Read 18915 times)

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Job hunting 101
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2017, 03:37:50 AM »
I use geezer is a term of endearment.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
I use geezer is a term of endearment.

Eh? I cain't hear ye?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
4Never's mouth must be full of Novocain and cotton rolls.

yeah but when 4ever talks, i always listen.  it's entertaining and he makes a good point, imho.

on another note, ummmm, novacaine ain't been used since the 40's-50's.  too many allergic reactions, but consolation given as the term novacaine is commonly used as a generic term for lido-mepiva-arti-carbo-xylo-caines.  just sayin
don't...don't don't don't don't

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2017, 04:56:26 PM »
I have been watching this thread and it is interesting in a couple of ways. I think the snowflakes and the geezers need to be a little more thoughtful and less prone to get all wound up. Snowflakes need to know that a little tact is needed and that the world isn't likely to bend to your will. Geezers have to remember that life has a way beating certain behaviors out of you and the "told you so mentality" isn't well received and there for is of little benefit to the conversation. All perceptions?
Good luck with the job search. I would really focus on networking and meeting people even if they can't help you immediately. It pays dividends. Dig a little deeper as to why you like Sports Journalism and maybe those reasons may allow you to cast a wider net and consider other types of positions that will still appeal to you. I don't know if anyone mentioned the software programs that screen resumes, I think it is unfortunately necessary to game these programs to the extent possible. There is a site called "Tag Crowd" that helps visualize phrases in a job description that then helps to taylor your resume to get past the screening software. Maybe some of the recruiter folks here can speak more to the screening software. Like I said good luck, stay positive.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
I have been watching this thread and it is interesting in a couple of ways. I think the snowflakes and the geezers need to be a little more thoughtful and less prone to get all wound up. Snowflakes need to know that a little tact is needed and that the world isn't likely to bend to your will. Geezers have to remember that life has a way beating certain behaviors out of you and the "told you so mentality" isn't well received and there for is of little benefit to the conversation. All perceptions?
Good luck with the job search. I would really focus on networking and meeting people even if they can't help you immediately. It pays dividends. Dig a little deeper as to why you like Sports Journalism and maybe those reasons may allow you to cast a wider net and consider other types of positions that will still appeal to you. I don't know if anyone mentioned the software programs that screen resumes, I think it is unfortunately necessary to game these programs to the extent possible. There is a site called "Tag Crowd" that helps visualize phrases in a job description that then helps to taylor your resume to get past the screening software. Maybe some of the recruiter folks here can speak more to the screening software. Like I said good luck, stay positive.

Spoken like a true sneezer.

manny31

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
Spoken like a true sneezer.

More like a guy with one foot on the other side, I have shunned labels and achieved Snirvana.....

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2017, 09:09:21 PM »

That's some good advice right there.

I like you, Manny.  You're a good dude.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:24 PM »
I really wasnt being sarcastic. Geezer isnt a phrase i use in a derogatory way. Probably adopted slang terms over here more than I thought I have.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »
I really wasnt being sarcastic. Geezer isnt a phrase i use in a derogatory way. Probably adopted slang terms over here more than I thought I have.

When do you sleep?  Isn't it past 3:00 am "over there?"
Ludum habemus.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
When do you sleep?  Isn't it past 3:00 am "over there?"

Rarely, I don't sleep much to be perfectly honest. Currently got distracted watching the Oilers game. What can I say, I love sports.

B. McBannerson

• Team Captain
10 worst jobs in 2017. Journalist #1, Broadcaster #2
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2017, 10:08:52 AM »
Here is the list

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/these-are-the-10-worst-jobs-of-2017.html

Journalist rated worst job.  Broadcaster #2.  Firefighter, DJ, taxi driver, others made top 10 worst jobs this year.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: 10 worst jobs in 2017. Journalist #1, Broadcaster #2
« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
Here is the list

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/27/these-are-the-10-worst-jobs-of-2017.html

Journalist rated worst job.  Broadcaster #2.  Firefighter, DJ, taxi driver, others made top 10 worst jobs this year.

Eh, that's fine I'm really not too bothered about what a list says. I know I'm pretty damn good at what I do. I'll find a job somewhere, whether is editing, production, writing or something else along those lines.

MU82

• All American
Re: 10 worst jobs in 2017. Journalist #1, Broadcaster #2
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2017, 07:48:03 PM »
Eh, that's fine I'm really not too bothered about what a list says. I know I'm pretty damn good at what I do. I'll find a job somewhere, whether is editing, production, writing or something else along those lines.

That's the spirit!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

Four da record, as ya may recall, da youngun all butt renounced his citizenship once the results of our last presidential election became obvious. He was, and continues to be completely repulsed by our president. Why? Who da fook nos, butt disgusted nun da less.
Reguardless, democracy reigned on his parade. Totally pissed da dude off. Now he kneeds a job. Shazam, may only bee available in da good, ol' USA. Man, I'm ready ta come on hom, get dat gig, and enlighten all of us how fooked up da White House really is. Well, it don't work dat wey. Der are reprocussions four one's actions and eatin' a little chit on dis board is minor compeared ta reel life, ai na?
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire