Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: If PRN were alive today...  (Read 8193 times)

The Lens

• All American
If PRN were alive today...
« on: May 30, 2008, 12:32:22 AM »
He would have loved this nugget in Pat Forde's TC ESPN article:

That is why Crean has signed up for an arduous Operation Tidy Bowl in Bloomington, instead of extending his streak of seven straight seasons of at least 19 wins in Milwaukee. 

Wow...I know TC was feeding reporters attendance numbers and coffee, crean & donuts numbers but his personal fact sheets lays out that TC won an astonishing 19 games 7 straight times for MU?  Gimme a freaking break.  I mean come on Tommy this is where you hurt your own creditibility, diminish your own accomplishments.

19 games!!!!

Are you trying to tie 2002 & 2003 in with the trainwreck of 2005?  Or 2004's Elite 8 (In the NI freaking T) in with the miraculousy fun surprise of 2006?  The post season break through of 2008?  Tommy, you did GREAT things at MU, stop fabricating records...19 games.  MY LORD!!!  That 2005 team beat one ranked team (#22 UW at the BC)...you missed 20 wins b/c you couldn't score 55 points vs Western Michigan at home in the 1st round of the NIT.  19 Wins!!!  In 2004 you went 8-8 in CUSA (you went 7-9 in 2005)!!!!  STOP Tom STOP...Stop telling people about crap stats like 19 wins.  You played your toughest non conf road game @ Oakland in 2005, you played Sav State, North Michigan, Grambling, Canisius, Florida A&M, Sacred Heart PLUS Southern Miss (loss) TCU (loss x2) and SLU (loss) in 2004. 

Tom. you did great things at MU.  Let me repeat that, YOU DID GREAT THINGS AT MU.  Everyone in America knows it, that's why you got the IU gig.  Just do yourself a favor and stop talking about consective 19 win seasons (means nothing in a 30+ game era).  Focus on trying to catch Pudue, playing MSU without hyperventilating and dealing Bo Ryan twice a year.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ecompt

• All American
Re: If PRN were alive today...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 08:24:04 AM »
I'm sure PRN would have pointed out--rightly so--that winning 19 games seven years in a row while playing a mediocre-at-best OOC schedule is not exactly earth-shattering. What's far more impressive is winning at least 10 Big East games in each of the last three seasons.

BuzzSucksSucks

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 08:27:26 AM »
Is PRN no longer with us?

MUCrew

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:44:50 AM »
Is PRN no longer with us?

Yeah I'm a little confused about this as well.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 08:47:04 AM »
This belongs in superbar.

Go bitch about MU's former coach over there.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 09:04:14 AM »
I'm sure PRN would have pointed out--rightly so--that winning 19 games seven years in a row while playing a mediocre-at-best OOC schedule is not exactly earth-shattering. What's far more impressive is winning at least 10 Big East games in each of the last three seasons.

Amen.  My point, 2002, was why must this cat (to steal from 4ever) continue to talk so much he ends up diluting his own acheivements?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 09:10:33 AM »
Crean fails to mention that the man he replaced. Mike Deane, won 100 games over 5 years.

Where is PRN?
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
Amen.  My point, 2002, was why must this cat (to steal from 4ever) continue to talk so much he ends up diluting his own acheivements?

Not defending him...

I'm just fail to see why people continue to obsess about him.

He's gone.

I liked him. (that's fine)

Some people hated him. (that's also fine)

Regardless, he's gone, and doesn't need to be a major topic around here.

EDIT: DCK, you also made a Crean reference in another thread regarding Maymon. I just don't get it. Crean is gone. Why try and dance on his grave? (so to speak)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:20:45 AM by 2002mualum »

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 09:30:39 AM »
I have no idea why having a stat that says 7 years of 19+ would be bad.  Was that the only stat?  Did crean actually fill out these cards himself?  Did he tell Forde to include that tibit? 

no, probably not, no. 

Well there he goes cheapening himself again by having reporters report facts, what an idiot.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
seriously, does anyone know what happened to PRN? mods?

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:35:47 AM »
Vacation, no internet connection, boycott?
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

downtown85

• All American
  • Ad majoram Dei gloriam.
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 09:36:45 AM »
seriously, does anyone know what happened to PRN? mods?

I think it is that now that Crean has left and Buzz has settled in, no reason to bitch. 

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »
I just wish I could have gotten the chance to tell that lil' Bassurd I love'm, my next PBR is for PRN!

May you rest in peace lil'buddy, rest in peace!

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 10:16:59 AM »
EDIT: DCK, you also made a Crean reference in another thread regarding Maymon. I just don't get it. Crean is gone. Why try and dance on his grave? (so to speak)

2002, it's totally on me.  I have taken shots.  I guess I was so sick of having it shoved down my throat of how much of a savior this guy was that I'm taking this time to gloat a bit.  I admit that.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 11:13:35 AM »
IF I had to guess, I'd guess that PRN is still very much with us. But, as with some other posters, may have gotten so much negative reaction and had been ignored by so many on this board that he felt irrelevant.  So, he changed his user name and is either a guest or is just laying low or is using a new name.

Like a say, just a guess.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:25 AM »
2002, it's totally on me.  I have taken shots.  I guess I was so sick of having it shoved down my throat of how much of a savior this guy was that I'm taking this time to gloat a bit.  I admit that.

Well, I appreciate your honesty.

I understand some people disliked the guy, but still making references to him just looks like jealously or jilted lover or something.

He's gone.

No need to make remarks about his shortcomings.

Someday, we will all just appreciate the good times and hardly remember the bad times.

Crean was never perfect, but going to games with 18,000+ people was a pretty damn good time. I was definitely entertained and felt like I got my money's worth.

MR.HAYWARD

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
i do not disagree with what Crean accomplished...i think some of the shorter term fans and Crean himself tend to over inflate his accomplisments.  I for one feel Kevin oneil did at least as good if not a better job than Crean and did it under even more difficult circumstances.  nevertheless Crean did a good job, however given the job he did do it is telling that so many people disliked him.  normally, when a coach comes in and does a good job people simply like him becuase the porgram is doing well.  i have never ssen it before like this with any program whereby dispite his success the guy was such a boorish ass that despite his successes a great number of people detested the guy.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 01:17:07 PM »
i have never ssen it before like this with any program whereby dispite his success the guy was such a boorish ass that despite his successes a great number of people detested the guy.

Bobby Knight?
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:13 PM »
I don't think a great number of people detested Crean. Just the extremely vocal minority that thinks the grass is always greener.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 01:49:48 PM »
He would have loved this nugget in Pat Forde's TC ESPN article:

Wow...I know TC was feeding reporters attendance numbers and coffee, crean & donuts numbers but his personal fact sheets lays out that TC won an astonishing 19 games 7 straight times for MU?  Gimme a freaking break.  I mean come on Tommy this is where you hurt your own creditibility, diminish your own accomplishments.

19 games!!!!

PRN would b*tch about how pathetic Crean's track record was, then I would point out that only 3 other Big East teams (Pitt, Louisville and Syracuse) managed to equal that benchmark over the last 7 years.

And I would point out that both Pitt and Syracuse played just as many (if not more) cupcakes on average.  

At which point PRN would either pull one or two seasons out of context, attempt to change the subject, accuse me of working for MU or call me "joanie," or some similar attempt to dodge the fact that he made another baseless post.

wampum77

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 02:25:46 PM »
Detest of TC may be too strong of a statement, but for me his shortcomings definitely outweighed "HIS" accomplishments.  His departure was truly his signature move, and I'm glad he took advantage of the opportunity to do it in such grand style primarily for the sake of those who thought TC hung out the moon.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 02:29:59 PM »
Detest of TC may be too strong of a statement, but for me his shortcomings definitely outweighed "HIS" accomplishments.  His departure was truly his signature move, and I'm glad he took advantage of the opportunity to do it in such grand style primarily for the sake of those who thought TC hung out the moon.

I don't see how his shortcomings outweighed his accomplishments.  That statement on its face says that his tenure was not successful.  I would say my any measuring stick it was successful.  Now I'm willing to concede a possibility his tenure could have been even more successful without his shortcomings but that is not nearly the same thing as what you said.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
I'll speak for my brothers, DKCL and Rican. Tom Crean can kiss us where the sun don't shine.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 05:17:01 PM »
I'll speak for my brothers, DKCL and Rican. Tom Crean can kiss us where the sun don't shine.

don't you mean brother?   ?-(

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 06:42:15 PM »
I am many things, but I am not PRN.

feedback