Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: "A huge pickup"  (Read 5894 times)

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
"A huge pickup"
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:14:41 AM »
Had not seen this posted from Foxsports:

RANDOM NOTES: Jeremiah Rivers, the son of Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, has opted to transfer to Indiana. Rivers is a terrific on-ball defender and the elder Rivers has established a close relationship with Indiana coach Tom Crean, who coached at Rivers’ alma mater, Marquette. … Notre Dame coach Mike Brey has re-hired Anthony Solomon, who was at Dayton last season. … One-time Arizona signee Emmanuel Negedu has set four visits: Indiana (June 3), Georgia Tech (June 8), Tennessee (June 10) and Memphis (June 12) … New Marquette coach Buzz Williams got a huge pickup with in-state standout Jeronne Maymon, Scout.com’s 59th-ranked player in the Class of 2009.

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox/2008/05/27/ORLANDO_PREDRAFT_UPDATE_STEELE_AND_RIEK_LESS_THAN_100_PERCENT

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
Re: "A huge pickup"
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:32:20 AM »
It's nice to see the national recognition. Maymon is a huge get for us, but there's plenty of work still left to get done. Buzz has exceeded my expectations thus far. Now if we can just land a big time PG for '09, I think we'll be set.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 11:10:00 AM »
Yeah Buzz, go get 'em!

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
Considering MU seemed cool on Maymon prior to Buzz taking over says even more about Buzz.  He is already inserting himself as the head coach, not just hanging on to leftovers from Crean.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 12:10:35 PM »
The biggest news this week was this little nugget from Rasiak's interview with Tim Maymon "He's( BUZZ) actually told Jeronne they're going to help set plays, they're going to develop a style of play that's unique to the frame of team they're going to have. They're not going to run the Tom Crean offense, they're not going to run the old Marquette offense. They're going to establish themselves among the elite teams as a new offense, and they're going to make a lot of noise.  A lot of noise."  Thank God they are going to get rid of that terrible half court crap they had been running with Crean.  Now with 7 guards and 5 forwards maybe Coach Buzz would consider some full court pressure???

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:54:30 PM »
Let's relax a little. That "crap" of Crean's got us to the final four amongst other things.

But, the thing I do like hearing about Buzz is he's basically saying his players will dictate the style, not the other way around. He's not going to force a square peg into a round hole.

I like everything about Maymon. From getting him, to how highly coveted he'd become, to the fact he's in Madison and wants to stick it to Bucky for four games.

It's a signing like that that should silence a lot of other coaches negative-recruiting against Buzz. Of course he has to back it up with wins on the court this year, but it really, really helps. If two top 100 guys are willing to jump on board, others should follow.

THEGYMBAR

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:32:55 PM »
Denver--right on!!!! Lets full court press for 40 minutes and push the ball up. Only concern is if press gets beat with lack of athletic big men holding up the fort. My guess is our little guys will cause a lot of trouble for opponents.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »
Considering MU seemed cool on Maymon prior to Buzz taking over says even more about Buzz.  He is already inserting himself as the head coach, not just hanging on to leftovers from Crean.

There are reasons Crean and Bo Ryan didn't go after Maymon.

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 01:45:39 PM »
D. Wade, Diener, and Novak got us to the Final Four!!! and they did not run a slow down half court offense.  They ran Kentucky right out of the gym!!

nola03

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 01:49:40 PM »
It's nice to see the national recognition. Maymon is a huge get for us, but there's plenty of work still left to get done. Buzz has exceeded my expectations thus far. Now if we can just land a big time PG for '09, I think we'll be set.

I gotta tell ya, I'm more excited about the Cleveland spin-off in 2009 then anything related to Marquette.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »

Agreed.

But, we can still be happy about Maymon.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
Agreed.

But, we can still be happy about Maymon.

Apparently not for some posters around here since it doesn't fit their agenda.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
Well, he's taller than 6"6", so that eliminates Crean
and he's an athletic big man, so that eliminates Bo.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 03:56:01 PM »
shame buzz isn't pulling in 5 of the top 5 recruits right away!  ;)

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:22:27 PM »
Apparently not for some posters around here since it doesn't fit their agenda.

Yea, I don't know if Chicos has an agenda here or what.

I was having trouble following the last thread as it seemed to degenerate into just an argument rather than a discussion (I've been there myself, so I'm not judging).

I do think the fact that UW didn't recruit Maymon made it easier for Buzz to get him (duh)... however it doesn't make Maymon any less talented, or make him less important for MU.

Buzz has a nice class developing. If Lacy is the guy Buzz wants next, then hopefully Lacy gets his grades straight. That would be 3 pretty nice players coming in 09.

If by some act of God Wilson comes as well, I'd venture to say that would be a top flight recruiting class (top 10 or top 5 in the country?).

I'm not making any predictions... I'm just saying I like the progress.

I always liked coach Crean, but I have to admit that Buzz has me excited (and nervous).

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »
+1 ^^^

Rollout-the-Barrel

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
Are we talking about the grades and attitude of father/son here?
Grades are one thing; as he definitely could not get a high enough ACT to qualify due to low GPA.  After reading interview with his Dad, attitude is less of a concern.  I like what he had to say.  I like the fact he is after a lot of playing time right away.  It's a quality you find in the bigger recruits.  However, doesn't mean he is going to be a college stud, but it appears very promising.  Glad we are making progress for the year after the Big three.
"We have the blues on the run!"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
If an outspoken, involved parent is living in the same town as the University, maybe you do shy away.  But 90 miles is 90 miles.  Mr. Maymon won't be stopping by the Al every day after work or hanging out in Humphery every night after dinner.

I too found Mr. Maymon to be a very concerned and apparently loving father from all of his statements.  He likes to talk but he seems to have his kid's best intentions at heart.  At UW maybe he is too involved, but 90 miles is 90 miles.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Doctor V

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 12:04:46 AM »
i hear the maymons just bought a home in whitefish bay  ;)

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
i hear the maymons just bought a home in whitefish bay  ;)

4.5 miles is 4.5 miles!  ;)
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 09:00:21 AM »
I want to see the same SUBJECT for a PG!!!  ;)
SS Marquette

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 11:14:27 AM »
Ditto!

Moonboots

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 11:42:45 AM »
4.5 miles is 4.5 miles!  ;)

It's India... nevermind.