Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Rosiak's Blog] A few nuggets  (Read 4841 times)

ToddRosiakSays

[Rosiak's Blog] A few nuggets
« on: May 28, 2008, 10:15:23 AM »
A few nuggets

Written by: Todd Rosiak

Here's a few opponents and dates for next season in the wake of the Maymon commitment.

Nov. 22 -- vs. UW-Milwaukee 

Nov. 28 -- vs. Northern Iowa

Nov. 29 -- vs. Dayton (both games part of Chicago Invitational at the Sears Center in Hoffman Estates, Ill.; dates are assuming MU wins a pair of home games in advance)

Dec. 6 -- vs. Wisconsin

Dec. 16 -- vs. Tennessee (SEC-Big East Invitational at Sommet Center in Nashville)

MU is also exploring adding another home-and-home or neutral site event beginning this season.

http://blogs.jsonline.com/muhoops/archive/2008/05/28/a-few-nuggets.aspx

spartan3186

• All American
Re: [Rosiak's Blog] A few nuggets
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
Wow getting the schedule early this year... I really like the addition of UNI beats the hell out of Savannah State

EDIT: NM i didnt realize UNI was in the Chicago Invitational i didn't read very well
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 11:06:09 AM by spartan3186 »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:24 AM »
I like this…

The Chicago Invite replaces the Maui
@ Tennessee replaces @ UW
Wisconsin replaces UWM (our marquee non conf home game last season)
UWM replaces IUPUI (our 2nd best non conf home game)

Plus a possible home & home or neutral court game…we’re already ahead of last year.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 11:20:44 AM »
Looks like a definite upgrade from last year and frankly I didn't think last year was so bad when judged as a whole and not in cut up bits.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:29:57 AM »
Playing Duke and OSU is better than No. Iowa and Dayton but also playing Tennesse and Bucky instead of just Bucky makes it better.

I'm just glad we'll have at least one compelling game at the BC this Dec.  Working yourself into a lather for UWM is not the easiest thing.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 11:30:41 AM »
I like this…

The Chicago Invite replaces the Maui
@ Tennessee replaces @ UW
Wisconsin replaces UWM (our marquee non conf home game last season)
UWM replaces IUPUI (our 2nd best non conf home game)

Plus a possible home & home or neutral court game…we’re already ahead of last year.

IUPUI was much better than UWM last year.  I don't really get the fixation people have with UWM being on the schedule.  A lot of years it will hurt the RPI as much as any other no-name school.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
The fixation comes from season ticket holders who enjoy a little of the back story (cross town team etc).  Yes they were brutal, yes they were well below IUPUI in RPI but there was far and away more energy in the BC, the restuarant before and the bars after than for any other Nov / Dec game. 

It didn't feel like a typical BUY game.

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
December 6th is already marked on my calendar. I cannot wait to take it to Bucky one more time!!! FIRE UP MARQUETTE FIRE UP!!!

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:10:19 PM »
IUPUI was much better than UWM last year.  I don't really get the fixation people have with UWM being on the schedule.  A lot of years it will hurt the RPI as much as any other no-name school.

The ones who are excited are the ones who remember that sports are supposed to be fun and not minute rpi math exercises.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:42:36 PM »
So watching MU blow out a vastly inferior "rival" is more fun than playing a team with a name you don't necessarily know but will actually be a tough test?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
So watching MU blow out a vastly inferior "rival" is more fun than playing a team with a name you don't necessarily know but will actually be a tough test?

Apparently for locals...yes.  For the rest of us...no. 

mviale

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 02:46:48 PM »
4ever will have to choose between Tennessee and Marquette
You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:57:42 PM »

Apparently for locals...yes.  For the rest of us...no. 

Some of us spend a few thousand dollars on MU tickets and while I do enjoy seeing MU play just about anyone, I also like when I'm not the only one there.  There was a buzz in the BC that night that didn't come back til Big East play commenced.  Sorry if I enjoy watching MU beat up on a Mid Level Horizon League team instead of a top level Summit League team.   

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
4ever will have to choose between Tennessee and Marquette

Maybe I'll sit on the Vols bench with my Warrior's hat on. ;D
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mosarsour

• All American
  • IV
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 03:55:43 PM »

...and orange body paint.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »

I'll agree that UWM is not a great program.

I'll also agree that playing UWM doesn't really benefit MU that much (public perception, RPI, etc).

But, I have to be honest and say that playing a cross-town school (not rival) is still more fun than playing a lot of other schools.

I wouldn't trade UWM for a home and home with a school from a major conference... but I will trade most smaller buy games for UWM.

Even if it doesn't help MU's RPI... it's still a more interesting game that most of the buy games. I can admit that. I got excited to see MU blow UWM's doors off.

spiral97

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2008, 04:56:31 PM »

Wear a poncho too then.
Once a warrior always a warrior.. even if the feathers must now come with a beak.

RawdogDX

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 05:38:28 PM »

please. like every team we schedule is a 'tough test'. They are a crap local team replacing a crap game that wouldn't be discussed on the message board.

I'm 2100 miles away.  I was not born in milwaukee (downtown chicago, not like all you burb people).  And I have no doubt in my mind that there will be more traffic by me and by many others on sites like this because local games and rivalries are fun.  And as for 'vastly inferior' we are talking about a team who was good enough to be chanting 'bring on marquette' at their games and meaning it.  Granted they suck now but so do a lot of teams we play every year.

When i'm out and about and meet someone from milwaukee who knows crap about basketball and i'll bring up our streak against uwm and talk smak about them.  I don't do that with any other crap game.  which is what it is, because uwm sucks, they suck so very very bad.  If i had a nickel for every time we beat them consecutively I'd have as much as the average uwm grad makes in an hour.  Eat it u-wub!

see much more fun, i can't understand how anyone can't see this.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 05:43:14 PM by RawdogDX »

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:55:17 PM »
Some of us spend a few thousand dollars on MU tickets and while I do enjoy seeing MU play just about anyone, I also like when I'm not the only one there.  There was a buzz in the BC that night that didn't come back til Big East play commenced.  Sorry if I enjoy watching MU beat up on a Mid Level Horizon League team instead of a top level Summit League team.  

+10000000.

You hit the nail on the head.  The rest of you, feel free to listen to some other game that night, cozy in your own home.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 06:02:31 PM »
I really didn't care about the UWM "rivalry" until last year, when MU beat the snot out of them so badly Rob Jeter had a hissy fit.
That was fun.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2008, 06:09:21 PM »
I'm still waiting for a West Coast trip that doesn't include stops in Hawaii or Alaska.  :-[
SS Marquette

mviale

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
agreed - when is Marquette going to travel to Cal Berkeley or USF?

You heard it here first. Davante Gardner will be a Beast this year.
http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=27259

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 08:29:30 AM »
playing UWM serves several purposes. It draws well, it's a chance for the backups to play significant minutes and it keeps the local Badger boosters at the Urinal quiet about us "ducking" the Panthers, 

nola03

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 09:11:06 AM »
playing UWM serves several purposes. It draws well, it's a chance for the backups to play significant minutes and it keeps the local Badger boosters at the Urinal quiet about us "ducking" the Panthers, 

I don't buy most of that.

Attendance wasn't the announced 18,000.

Three starters played 30 minutes.

The Badgers fans lost interest once the game was played. Afterall, they proved their case.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 09:12:56 AM by nola03 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2008, 11:40:01 AM »
I don't buy most of that.

Attendance wasn't the announced 18,000.

Three starters played 30 minutes.

The Badgers fans lost interest once the game was played. Afterall, they proved their case.
I think the game is boring - I left at halftime last year - but I do have to say that the attendance, although maybe not 18,000, was much more than any of our other home non-conference games were last year - it probably doubled the attendance of the 2nd most attended non-conference home game - and the backups would have played if Tom Crean wasn't a dick and didn't play the starters until there were 2 minutes left and we were up by 40 (definitely not the only game he did that for, but this one it was probably to shut up those people who were calling him out for not playing UWM - proving it's pointless to just win by 30 points).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter