Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Darius Marrow...?  (Read 31891 times)

MUViking

• Starter
Re: Darius Marrow...?
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2008, 04:23:25 PM »
I hope so Viking....by the way, I'm not down on him.  I'm just trying to find information on him, and there isn't much.  I don't like to get into the attacking student athletes stuff like some...sure I stray from time to time, but I try not to.  I believe Matt Painter liked him at Purdue.  We could definitely do worse but I guess that's my question...is it worth the gamble or do you bank it.  I haven't been overly blown away by Spring signings (ours or other schools) for the most part.  Sometimes you get lucky with late bloomers or those that want to wait to sign.  I'd want to be really sure.  All one can do is trust the coaches that they're doing the right thing.

Nevertheless, if he comes to MU I'll be 100% behind him and DEFEND him to the hilt.   ;)

Fair enough.  I do think comparing this "spring signing" with your typical spring signings (Karon Bradley, Jamil Lott, Trend Blackledge, Dwight Burke etc.) is not really relevant, though, since this is a kid who signed with a high major program in the fall and now is getting out of his commitment.  I'm not really sure Morrow was a late bloomer so much as he's in a situation where he's trying to find a school after the coach he committed to retired (Odom).

Morrow is not a can't miss prospect, but he does sound like he has a great deal more upside than a Dwight Burke.  I'd like to see him in the fold.

coach85

• Walk-On
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »
Something to keep in mind:  Dave Odom liked Morrow enough to offer him the only scholarship SC had for next season for a team that was a lot like MU's - not much size.  Odom had a solid career ( 400 plus wins) with kids that were not always the highest ranked in high school.

I'm sure not saying that Morrow is the next Tim Duncan nor that he is an immediate impact guy, but it is a nice fit at this stage of the year.
As we try to quantify Morrow's value, Odom's opinion helps me to be more comfortable with this should it happen.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »
Fair enough.  I do think comparing this "spring signing" with your typical spring signings (Karon Bradley, Jamil Lott, Trend Blackledge, Dwight Burke etc.) is not really relevant, though, since this is a kid who signed with a high major program in the fall and now is getting out of his commitment.

This is a great point.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2008, 05:11:58 PM »
I don't like the idea of banking the scholarship for next year.  If we can get a serviceable big guy, like Morrow, I say take him.  Buzz's best recruiting tool for the future will be having a successful season next year while he's the head coach. 

Doesn't that go against the argument for banking it?  If we think Buzz's great ability is coming off of a great year next year (which we all think will happen) plus he has the ability to promise playing time, then why put a kid on a scholie that you've tied up for 4 years when you think you can land a better player next year on the heels of the great season/promise of playing time?

Just asking.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »

Morrow is not a can't miss prospect, but he does sound like he has a great deal more upside than a Dwight Burke.  I'd like to see him in the fold.

I'm still remembering all of the glowing comments about Burke, Blackledge, etc from some of the recruiting experts and that's what makes me nervous.  Hope you're right.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
We can always run a signed kid off, like Judas used to do each year. ;)

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2008, 07:24:36 PM »
I'm still remembering all of the glowing comments about Burke, Blackledge, etc from some of the recruiting experts and that's what makes me nervous.  Hope you're right.

The "glowing reports" about Burke and Blackledge were nothing like the ones re: Morrow.  Both Burke and Blackledge had reports about "upside."  These reports are about his actual skill.  No comparison.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2008, 07:30:56 PM »

that is what makes me very nervous about Fulce and Butler. Are these guys really going to be able to give us decent minutes in the BE. Our track record in this area is spotty at best.

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2008, 08:28:57 PM »
that is what makes me very nervous about Fulce and Butler. Are these guys really going to be able to give us decent minutes in the BE. Our track record in this area is spotty at best.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised...

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

From the scouting report from Danny Hurley on Dwight Burke:

“He (Burke) picked them because they’ll coach the hell out him.”

“He’s (Crean) a basketball coach; he’s going to coach him everyday and that’s what the kid needs.”

“He’s a late bloomer type that really started to play well late."

"He showed great progress late. He’s a guy who’s got some real upside. He’s a little raw because he’s only been here for one year. He’s going to keep getting better and he’s going to play for them.”

And the SWIC coach on Blackledge:

"He is an under-the-radar kid."

"Lawrence is very skinny, but he started strength training this year.  He felt stronger and started taking it at people with confidence."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2008, 10:20:42 PM »

From the scouting report from Danny Hurley on Dwight Burke:

“He (Burke) picked them because they’ll coach the hell out him.”

“He’s (Crean) a basketball coach; he’s going to coach him everyday and that’s what the kid needs.”

“He’s a late bloomer type that really started to play well late."

"He showed great progress late. He’s a guy who’s got some real upside. He’s a little raw because he’s only been here for one year. He’s going to keep getting better and he’s going to play for them.”

And the SWIC coach on Blackledge:

"He is an under-the-radar kid."

"Lawrence is very skinny, but he started strength training this year.  He felt stronger and started taking it at people with confidence."

Those are from their coaches, I was referencing some of the recruiting experts, even some of the local recruiting experts.

At any rate, you seem to think Morrow is quite good and that makes me feel better.  I hope he is....so where do we stand on a commitment?

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »
At any rate, you seem to think Morrow is quite good and that makes me feel better.  I hope he is....so where do we stand on a commitment?

No, I don't know how good Morrow really is.  I just think he's probably a better prospect than Dwight Burke or Trend Blackledge, based on what I've read and based on what was out there on those guys when they were being recruited.

As far as a commitment goes... too early to say.  Buzz needs to evaluate whether this is the guy he wants.  I think on paper, this guy looks like a solid pickup, but of course, you ideally want a guy to come in, talk to the coaches, meet the team, play a scrimmage, etc. first. 

« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:26:26 AM by MUViking »

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2008, 08:13:49 AM »
Doesn't that go against the argument for banking it?  If we think Buzz's great ability is coming off of a great year next year (which we all think will happen) plus he has the ability to promise playing time, then why put a kid on a scholie that you've tied up for 4 years when you think you can land a better player next year on the heels of the great season/promise of playing time?

Just asking.

I guess the question is if you think we can be successful without an additional big guy.  I think our chances for success next year are greatly increased with an additional big guy.  If Buzz can't have a decent year with our returning talent (assuming McNeal comes back), then it may not matter how many slots we have open.  Buzz needs to put it all on the line for next year, otherwise he may not be able to land a better player.

Whether Morrow is the guy we need or not, I have no idea.  If Buzz thinks he is, then I say go for it.  Plus the fact we already have 4 slots (EW taking one) for the following year.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2008, 01:07:01 PM »
Guys... let's not get too excited here.  I've reached out to 2 Rivals state of Georgia recruiting experts and neither has any info on this kid.  If they can dig something up, i'll post it here.  Maybe he's an under the radar player but most likely, he's another bad spring signing.  I say bank the scholly.
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

bleedbluegold03

• Starter
  • Ring Out Ahoya!
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2008, 12:09:45 PM »
go on to scout.com and you'll find we are in the runnings for Jamil Wilson (5 Star) and eleven 4 star prospects. Why use one on a weak spring signing when you can make the '09 recruiting class that much stronger? It seams like an easy decision for me: BANK IT.

Created by the Jamil_toMU09

feedback