[June 11, 2024, 10:23:42 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[June 11, 2024, 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[June 11, 2024, 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[June 11, 2024, 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Taylor still seeks release  (Read 16749 times)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Taylor still seeks release
« on: April 14, 2008, 03:29:29 PM »
Wants release - but not necesarily counting MU out?

As reported by Adam Zagoria
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/04/taylor-still-se.html

St. Anthony senior guard Tyshawn Taylor and head coach Bob Hurley met with new Marquette coach Buzz Williams for several hours on Friday.

The result?

The 6-foot-3 Taylor still wants to be released from his National Letter of Intent.

"We asked for his release again today," Hurley said Monday by phone. "We sent another letter to the school. I hope they don't stall it. (Taylor) would like to make another visit or two. I have about 12 schools that have called. We kind of think he 'd like to visit two of them, and then not eliminate Marquette yet but be able to look at a couple of other schools."

A first-team All-State selection, Taylor considered Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech the first time around, but Hurley would not confirm that those were the ones he'd like to visit.

In the wake of former coach Tom Crean's departure to Indiana, Marquette released two players from their Letters of Intent last week, but not Taylor.

"When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

"Looking at Marquette's roster, there's going to be a big logjam now in the backcourt but we kind of figured Tom Crean would be able to handle a situation like this, but we are talking about a guy who coached at the University of New Orleans for one year, and that's his head coaching experience."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:33:31 PM by rocky_warrior »

Marquette65

• Starter
Re: Taylor still seeks release
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
taylor gone

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 03:34:16 PM »
Perhaps, but he's not sold on that from the way I read it:

"We kind of think he 'd like to visit two of them, and then not eliminate Marquette yet but be able to look at a couple of other schools."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:36:04 PM by rocky_warrior »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 03:34:40 PM »
Wants release - but not necesarily counting MU out?

As reported by Adam Zagoria
http://njmg.typepad.com/zagsblog/2008/04/taylor-still-se.html

"When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."
"Looking at Marquette's roster, there's going to be a big logjam now in the backcourt but we kind of figured Tom Crean would be able to handle a situation like this, but we are talking about a guy who coached at the University of New Orleans for one year, and that's his head coaching experience."
Wrong.  He has only been a HEAD COACH for one year.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:55:19 PM by BrewCity »
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 03:35:13 PM »
C O N T I N U I T Y...........

I don't blame Buzz for Taylor, but the continuity argument is looking rather forced at this point.

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:12 PM »
Hurley probably drilled him on b-ball strategy, playing time and game strategy.  

Speaks volume for our new hire.

77fan88warrior

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »
How can the logjam be much different than when he committed?  It's not like they didn't know about DJ staying for this past season and possibly for his senior year. Hurley seems like a bigger jerk off by the minute.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:36:26 PM »
  I say let the guy go, he wouln't play next year and that frees up a spot for a better Gaurd to fill the hole next year.  Also, it would give that player an extra year of eligibility.

This guy is acting like he's a top 10 player.  
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:14:14 PM by mu_hilltopper »

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »
C O N T I N U I T Y...........

I don't blame Buzz for Taylor, but the continuity argument is looking rather forced at this point.

+1
But I like to throw handfuls...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 03:39:35 PM »

"We kind of think he 'd like to visit two of them, and then not eliminate Marquette yet but be able to look at a couple of other schools."

The absolute key statement in the article is this..."When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

Translation.....MU hired a coach with one year of head coaching experience and I'm not putting my college career in the hands of such an inexperienced hire.

Simple as that.  Maybe he still comes, but this is the danger of going in the direction we did without getting someone that had a number of years as a head man at the helm.  It might do wonders for some kids but others it won't.  For TT, it didn't.  It will be up to Buzz to land a few kids just like assistant coaches have to when they become head coaches for the first time (thus why I didn't want an assistant coach anymore at our level...too much time it takes for them to get their foundation set).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 03:40:39 PM »
Hurley probably drilled him on b-ball strategy, playing time and game strategy. 

Speaks volume for our new hire.

I agree.  I get the feeling in all of this that if it was up to TT, he'd be at MU next year.  Hurley has his doubts, but after an interview with Buzz he didn't say "No f'in way".  Instead, he told TT that they should at least visit a couple more schools, and then make a final decision.

Would TT be the first person to sign 2 LOIs for Marquette?  :P

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
How can the logjam be much different than when he committed?  It's not like they didn't know about DJ staying for this past season and possibly for his senior year. Hurley seems like a bigger jerk off by the minute.

Because the logjam portion of his comment is not meaningful, it's just a guise.  In fact the logjam he cites is less now then it was when he committment (Scott gone, Nick gone).  The paragraph before is why he isn't coming to Marquette.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:44:00 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »
Hurley made this decesion the moment Crean left.  The only reason he is even leading us on is to get Taylor's name out there.

Screw it.  He's not coming here.  There was never any intention of him coming here once Crean left.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 03:45:05 PM »
totally agree!

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008, 03:45:14 PM »
Why would Hurley recommend a kid go to a school with a coach with less experience than one of his assistant coaches.

And forget for a minute that this is a kid that signed a letter of intent, what is to stop high school coaches with talented players who HAVEN'T signed with anybody from thinking the same thing?

If I was a high school head coach, there's no way in hell I would point a kid toward Marquette at this point...and that's a sad statement. At least a lesser unknown like Crean had a solid track record at Michigan State and you knew what he was going to run. Here we have a guy who describes his style as "winning basketball."  

THis hire would have been a step backwards from Mike Deane, much less Tom Crean.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »
Call Hurley a prick all you want, but he's run a successful program for years under tough circumstances and probably knows more about basketball than most college coaches out there. Clearly the inexperience is an issue for Hurley, and it's logical to think it will likely be an issue for a lot of other recruits/HS coaches out there. Buzz may be great, but the perception he's in over his head is sure going to make it tough for him. Unfortunately, there's really nothing to fall back on to rebut that contention either.

It's not Buzz's fault it appears we'll lose Taylor, but it sure doesn't help in establishing any credibility for Buzz.

And to think we were finally going to have a guard with some size.....Ouch!

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
hmmm.  I'm gonna make a crazy guess and say we don't release Tyshawn.  In a weird way, it seems that Hurley has been waiting for this to happen to one of his higher profile commits, just so he could make a big stink out of the system.  I think Taylor wants to come here, but Hurley is saying "Let's just get your release so I can prove a point, and if you still want to go, you can always re-commit."  I say Buzz calls his bluff.  If we piss off Hurley, BFD.  Not like Buzz recruits out there anyway...sadly.

jce

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 03:47:56 PM »

He's saying that to play nice.  

Let him go.  He doesn't want to be here.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 03:49:02 PM »
Its over, he is gone.

unfortunately there is no way to win.  If you force him to honor his LOI, you piss off potential recruits.  If you let him go, he is gone and it seems like everyone is jumping ship.

lose/lose

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 03:49:39 PM »
Hurley looks more and more like a pimp in this sordid story.

Sorry, but I think now Hurley is forcing MU's hand just to get a point across to other coaches that come sniffing around his players.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 03:55:39 PM by lurch91 »

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »

Nothing, absolutely nothing that Hurley said is false.  He's looking out for his kid.  Good for him.

Let's just wait and see how this plays out but you have to think Mr. Taylor is moving on.

Good luck to him.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Hurley look smore and more like a pimp in this sordid story.

Sorry, but I think now Hurley is forcing MU's hand just to get a point across to other coaches that come sniffing around his players.

I'm not sure how he is being a pimp.  He only wants the best for his kids... sound familiar?

Why would he send one of his best players to an unproven coach?  There is no logical reason that he would.

Pardner

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 03:53:59 PM »
Misters Butler and Vanderbeken, your table is ready!

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 03:54:52 PM »
I understand that Coach Hurley is looking out for his own.  but, I'm really surprised how he is playing this out in the media.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 03:56:15 PM »

The absolute key statement in the article is this..."When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

Translation.....MU hired a coach with one year of head coaching experience and I'm not putting my college career in the hands of such an inexperienced hire.

First, those are Hurley's words, not Taylor's. Simply put, Hurley is pimping his kid. He may honestly believe he has the kid's best interests at heart, and he very well might. But it's pretty clear by now that he is calling the shots on this kid's future or wants everyone to believe that he is calling the shot. Either way, the man is on a giant ego trip.

Second and more importantly, though, Hurley is lying. If experience were such an issue for him, how come he stood by as Mike Rosario committed to Rutgers and coach Fred Hill, who at the time had ONE YEAR of experience as a head coach. I'm not exactly sure what Hurley's issue is here, but it's not experience.