[Today at 08:59:12 PM]

Hurley staying! by NCMUFan
[Today at 04:46:28 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 04:22:26 PM]

2024 Scoop Art Competition by Skatastrophy
[Today at 09:53:42 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Taylor still seeks release  (Read 16748 times)

StillWarriors

• All American
Re: Taylor still seeks release
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 03:56:46 PM »
Good luck recruiting anyone else if you don't let him out of his LOI.

This really blows. I hate to say we're a sinking ship after next season, but there's a big hole in the boat and the sharks are circling.

Marquette65

• Starter
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »
  As he falls all over himself  trying to find " reasons" ,  Hurley is looking more and more the jerk.
  Crean would have worked out the palying time even if DJ stayed and NW came? What? by keeping DJ, JM, Wes on the bench?  
  Buzz only having one year coaching experience?  He can't even get that right.  When KO and TC arrived neither had any head coaching experience.
   Taylor wants to visit other schools?  He didn't do that b/4 he comitted to MU?

As much as I hate to lose Taylor, time to cut the cord.  A potential headache.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 04:00:06 PM »

The absolute key statement in the article is this..."When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

Translation.....MU hired a coach with one year of head coaching experience and I'm not putting my college career in the hands of such an inexperienced hire.

First, those are Hurley's words, not Taylor's. Simply put, Hurley is pimping his kid. He may honestly believe he has the kid's best interests at heart, and he very well might. But it's pretty clear by now that he is calling the shots on this kid's future or wants everyone to believe that he is calling the shot. Either way, the man is on a giant ego trip.

Second and more importantly, though, Hurley is lying. If experience were such an issue for him, how come he stood by as Mike Rosario committed to Rutgers and coach Fred Hill, who at the time had ONE YEAR of experience as a head coach. I'm not exactly sure what Hurley's issue is here, but it's not experience.

The difference is that those young men committed to coaches that were there.  Not ones who showed up after they had signed their LOIs.

simple enough.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 04:00:38 PM »
Hurley may be prickish, but I don't blame him based on the little experience the Williams has.

There's a big f-ing difference when Buzz is recruiting for a Gillespie or a Crean, versus Buzz recruiting for Buzz.

Continuity. Continuity.

As for whether they release him, it's a short-term vs. long-term goal for the school. Love him or hate him, Hurley is an institution and p!ssing him off would turn off the tap to a lot of potential recruits in the future. Is that fair to MU? No. But then again, the administration should have known this when they hired a coach with no experience (for all intents and purposes).

lurch91

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 04:01:02 PM »
But it's pretty clear by now that he is calling the shots on this kid's future or wants everyone to believe that he is calling the shot. Either way, the man is on a giant ego trip.

Exactly, if Taylor wants out, let him inform the media, but Hurley seems to be running the show and calling all the shots.  Thus, he's a pimp.

Hurley, might very well be a fine human being and looking out for Taylor, but this seems to be a bit more grandstaning then nessecary.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:05:21 PM by lurch91 »

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »
My guess is Hurley is being "nice" in citing the inexperience. What he really thinks would probably sound a lot worse given that he hasn't reacted this way to all asst coach hires. Seems to me he doesn't have any confidence in our asst coach turned head coach.

Hurley is incredibly well respected in coaching circles. No question this further damages MU's reputation/credibility.

Warrior Forever

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:04 PM »

The press calls him for comment, not vice versa.

If you have Seth Greenberg, Paul Hewitt or Buzz Williams calling on you, you may want to rethink your decision.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:11 PM »

The absolute key statement in the article is this..."When it comes down to it, Coach Williams has only been a basketball coach for one year," Hurley said. "We sat down for a couple hours, he talked to Ty and he spoke to me for an hour and a half. And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

Translation.....MU hired a coach with one year of head coaching experience and I'm not putting my college career in the hands of such an inexperienced hire.

First, those are Hurley's words, not Taylor's. Simply put, Hurley is pimping his kid. He may honestly believe he has the kid's best interests at heart, and he very well might. But it's pretty clear by now that he is calling the shots on this kid's future or wants everyone to believe that he is calling the shot. Either way, the man is on a giant ego trip.

Second and more importantly, though, Hurley is lying. If experience were such an issue for him, how come he stood by as Mike Rosario committed to Rutgers and coach Fred Hill, who at the time had ONE YEAR of experience as a head coach. I'm not exactly sure what Hurley's issue is here, but it's not experience.

Look at Buzz's resume vs Fred Hill's.  Fred has been around in the east forever and Buzz has basically never been in the east recruiting or coaching.  I'll bet there is a significant comfort level there between St. Anthony's and Hill then there is with Williams.

I don't disagree with you that Hurley is calling the shots, but I believe he's also convinced TT of the same.   Hurley doesn't know Buzz and his one year of coaching hasn't wowed him to the point that he's comfortable in sending his recruit off to Milwaukee to play for Buzz.

He seems a lot more comfortable sending someone to play for Rutgers and wow, doesn't that just tell a story in and of itself.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 04:06:16 PM »
Nick Williams is going to Arkansas and TT is NOT looking at IU.  So, they are not ready to follow Crean to end of the earth.  In addition, Crean lost Eric Gordon and other IU recruits.  

You think TT would be coming if Sean Miller or Tony Bennett was hired?  I doubt it.

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 04:07:02 PM »
Good lord....our worst nightmares are coming true.  We better enjoy next season....our run of seasons above .500 may well be coming to an end.  What kind of team are we going to have in two years?  Lazar will need to average 40 ppg as a Senior.

I still can't believe what's happening.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 04:08:25 PM »
Sean Miller? yes. He's a proven winner. Bennett would scared people off for the first year or two but as long as he showed he's willing to play up-tempo ball, he'd be able to get the right kids for the B.East.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 04:09:53 PM »

The difference is that those young men committed to coaches that were there.  Not ones who showed up after they had signed their LOIs.

simple enough.

Whether they were there or not doesn't change their level of experience. And Hurley chose not to make any such distinction.
If Hurley wanted to say it's just a matter of Taylor wanting out because he committed to Crean, a la Nick Williams, he could have said that. Instead, he went out of his way - again - to take a gratuitous shot at MU.  If Hurley thought it so important that his kids play only for experienced coaches, he never would have stood by and watch Rosario commit to Rutgers.

Hurley's behavior through this whole thing has got me wondering whether he's upset that a certain son of his who is looking for a college head coaching gig didn't get a sniff from Marquette. Pure speculation on my part, but a good as guess as any for Hurley's sudden hostility toward MU.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 04:11:52 PM by Pakuni »

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Continuity, Continuity, Continuity.
3 guys gone who would have been gone if you hired Buzz or Biff. So, why not take a little more then 3 days?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2008, 04:11:28 PM »
Maybe it's time to offer Hurley Jr. in a package deal with TT...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2008, 04:12:39 PM »
Hurley's behavior through this whole thing has got me wondering whether he's upset that a certain son of his who is looking for a college head coaching gig didn't get a sniff from Marquette. Pure speculation on my part, but a good as guess as any for Hurley's sudden hostility toward MU.

Buzz needs an assistant, hire Hurley's son and bring TT with him.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »
I honestly wish Buzz to be a GREAT coach!, But to be a Top 25 team and be unable to get a proven coach? If I had NBA hopes I wouldn't come here until he proves himself 2-3 years from now

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:07 PM »

simple enough.

Whether they were there or not doesn't change their level of experience. And Hurley chose not to make any such distinction.
If Hurley wanted to say it's just a matter of Taylor wanting out because he committed to Crean, a la Nick Williams, he could have said that. Instead, he went out of his way - again - to take a gratuitous shot at MU.  Again, if Hurley thought it so important that his kids play only for experienced coaches, he never would have stood by and watch Rosario commit to Rutgers.

Hurley's behavior through this whole thing has got me wondering whether he's upset that a certain son of his who is looking for a college head coaching gig didn't get a sniff from Marquette. Pure speculation on my part, but as good as guess as any for Hurley's sudden hostility toward MU.

Agreed,
Hurley seems to misuse some of his logic when talking about why Tyler should be allowed to leave...with these latest comments he does come across as a pimp.  

"My player is suddenly bigger and more popular than when he signed with MU and now I have an excuse to try and get him to a bigger program"

I think the only reason he doesn't go out and eliminate MU is that he wants to make sure TT can land somewhere like GT and if he can't he'll come back to MU with some sorry song and dance about how they wanted to make sure it was right after crean left, blah blah blah...

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »
Continuity, Continuity, Continuity.
3 guys gone who would have been gone if you hired Buzz or Biff. So, why not take a little more then 3 days?

The banquet and ad would have been spoiled.   ;)

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »

In the wake of former coach Tom Crean's departure to Indiana, Marquette released two players from their Letters of Intent last week, but not Taylor.

Nick Williams is one.  Who is the other one? 

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2008, 04:14:59 PM »

In the wake of former coach Tom Crean's departure to Indiana, Marquette released two players from their Letters of Intent last week, but not Taylor.

Nick Williams is one.  Who is the other one? 

He meant SC

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2008, 04:15:52 PM »
Good lord....our worst nightmares are coming true.  We better enjoy next season....our run of seasons above .500 may well be coming to an end.  What kind of team are we going to have in two years?  Lazar will need to average 40 ppg as a Senior.

I still can't believe what's happening.

Erik Williams
Joe Fulce
Jimmy Butler (maybe)
Jamie Vanderbeken (maybe)

The sky is falling!

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
Obviously our world famous, A#1 top notch recruiter failed to wow him.  So he has little experience with the Xs & Os, describes his style as "winning" (as in 14-17), and now, when the chips are down, can't recruit.  We are sooooo screwed.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2008, 04:17:04 PM »
I don't follow recruiting that much other than when I see which people we are looking at on the boards so I was wondering how often does a player's coach make all these comments and decesions like this?

Like I said I don't follow recruiting much but Hurley seems like the TC of high-school hoops making this show about himself.  He may have the best interests of his player in mind but he should at least let Taylor speak for himself.  It seems like whenever the two speak their stories don't match up.  What does Taylor really want?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2008, 04:19:05 PM »
"And at the end of that, he still had only coached for one year."

And he had one year when he was the lead recruiter last fall. He's had an extensive career as an assistant, and it's the assistants that are the ones who primarily work with guys when it comes to skill development. I don't buy it.

"Looking at Marquette's roster, there's going to be a big logjam now in the backcourt.."

That is not only less than it was this fall, it will be gone after one year. Don't buy it.

Guys, it's not hard to see what's happening here. Marquette is not a big enough name for Hurley. He wasn't enthused at first, and now sees bigger names he can put on his resume. It looks better for him to send a kid to Florida as opposed to MU.

I really have to question if this is ultimately Tyshawn's call or Hurley's. Methinks it's Hurley's.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2008, 04:20:06 PM »

Buzz needs an assistant, hire Hurley's son and bring TT with him.

TT appears to be a solid prospect. but not that solid. A little nepotism for the next Danny Manning? Sure. Dejuan Wagner? OK. Tyshawn Taylor? No thanks.