collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Crean's coaching level  (Read 44171 times)

Marquette84

• All American
Re: Crean's coaching level
« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2008, 10:57:48 PM »
Please don't use the argument that Xavier's soft conference allows them to advance further in the Tourney. This just makes us sound like a bunch of pissers and moaners. BTW, if I recall correctly MU was a 3 seed in 2003 having played in that kitten Conference USA.

Xavier's high seed allows them to advance farther in the Tourney.

Their soft conference gives them the record that enables them to get a high seed.

That's the way it is.  Xavier, Butler,  Gonzaga, Drake all get the same benefit of running up a good record by playing in a weak conference.  Their seed gives them a better opportunity to win early round games in the NCAA tournament.  That's not pissing and moaning--that's just basic fact.

MU could easily duplicate the effort--we could petition to join the Summit or the Horizon, win 14 to 16 conference games each year, and we'd regularly get 3 seeds just like Xavier or Butler or Drake or Gonzaga--and we wouldn't have to play any better than we do to finish 5th in the Big East.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2008, 11:15:07 PM »
84, could TC recruit as well in the A10?  We've heard how the Big East has been great for MU recruiting.  Would we roll up that many wins in the A10?  Would we play such a stronger non conf and would we win those?  Our SOS is nearly identical to XU's...I don't think they're a product of a soft sked, if they are, then we are too.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

🏀

• All American
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2008, 11:20:43 PM »
84, could TC recruit as well in the A10?  We've heard how the Big East has been great for MU recruiting.  Would we roll up that many wins in the A10?  Would we play such a stronger non conf and would we win those?  Our SOS is nearly identical to XU's...I don't think they're a product of a soft sked, if they are, then we are too.

I don't think that's what 84 was getting at.

Xavier's position allows them to go out and play a tougher non-conference to make-up for the lack of conference strength, same as Memphis. With that they can play those tougher games early on, and coast into the easier play. Whether or not having tougher games up front and be rested for the tournament is good or not. Crean's teams have died off at the end of the season, maybe that would be good.

All in all, I'd still rather be in the Big East for one reason, Exposure.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #178 on: March 28, 2008, 01:06:02 AM »
I like the idea of adding an "old sage" type assistant. And can we get somebody to develop bigs specifically again? Please? I think that would be huge for this program.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #179 on: March 28, 2008, 07:28:01 AM »
Can we you imagine the screaming from some people if our home schedule was Fordham, St. Bonaventure, George Washington, Temple and Duquesne instead of Louisville, Pitt, Gtown, etc.? Somehow I don't think Xavier and Dayton have quite the impact of those games.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2008, 08:03:40 AM »
Can we you imagine the screaming from some people if our home schedule was Fordham, St. Bonaventure, George Washington, Temple and Duquesne instead of Louisville, Pitt, Gtown, etc.? Somehow I don't think Xavier and Dayton have quite the impact of those games.

But Ecompt, that's the only way we're going to get a high seed.  The Big East is too tough for us.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

HarveysWallbangers

« Reply #181 on: March 28, 2008, 09:08:42 AM »
I like the idea of adding an "old sage" type assistant. And can we get somebody to develop bigs specifically again? Please? I think that would be huge for this program.

Haven't we had a couple of those? Jerry Sichting and that other former NBA guy? I hate to add fuel to PRN's fire, but "been there, done that."

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #182 on: March 28, 2008, 09:17:02 AM »

But Ecompt, that's the only way we're going to get a high seed.  The Big East is too tough for us.

;D  THE ONLY WAY...nope.  Yes, I saw the sarcasm font.

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #183 on: March 28, 2008, 09:29:35 AM »
College basketball success can be judged in different ways. For me, winning in March, aka the post season , is the standard of success I prefer to use.

So, then, your boy Bruce must really be a disappointment this season. And before that.  :'(

Pearl is not so good in the SEC Tournament (1 win in 3 years). Was a 2 seed that needed a last second Lofton shot to beat Winthrop and then lost to Wichita State a couple of years ago and then choked out that massive lead to Ohio State last season.

Add to that, the struggle to shake American and the near blowing of the lead against Butler but hanging on overtime which served only to delay the inevitable by 4 days.

The Volunteers looked shaken from the start. When that happens to Marquette, it's the coach's fault.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #184 on: March 28, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
Coobey, why did it take you so long to post? If you remember correctly going back to the night UT beat Memphis was that I liked Pearl as a coach and the style of ball he teaches. Check back to the posts, you'll also see where I said his team was not my pick to win it all. They didn't have enough.
To be honest, this season's Vols team underachieved by one game in the Tourney. I had them going out vs. UNC in the Elite 8. FYI, UT has a very good class coming in next season led by Woolridge, a kid Tom is well acquainted with.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coobeys Oil Depot

« Reply #185 on: March 28, 2008, 03:48:45 PM »
Coobey, why did it take you so long to post? If you remember correctly going back to the night UT beat Memphis was that I liked Pearl as a coach and the style of ball he teaches. Check back to the posts, you'll also see where I said his team was not my pick to win it all. They didn't have enough.
To be honest, this season's Vols team underachieved by one game in the Tourney. I had them going out vs. UNC in the Elite 8. FYI, UT has a very good class coming in next season led by Woolridge, a kid Tom is well acquainted with.

As I thought, you feel Pearl was a disappointment and ultimately unsuccessful given his talent.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #186 on: March 28, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
BTW, 60% of me is only arguing to get this to 8 pages.   ;)

Trevor Mbakwe knows where you sleep.

Trevor's time has come and gone, Crean's Coaching Level is the "I Love Lamp" of Spring 2008

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #187 on: March 28, 2008, 05:10:55 PM »
Twice in this thread PRN has been asked by other posters to produce evidence to back up his claims (Assistant coaching salaries & Crean's soccer donation press conference).

Evidence? Are you serious? Is there some burden of proof I need to meet?  Laughable. If I felt like humoring you, I'd dig up "evidence," but for now just be assured that you are wrong and I am right.

C'mon dude.

Respond to me directly.

I didn't ask for evidence, because I don't really have any either... I'm just asking for your realistic interpretation of the situation.

I'm not exactly sure how the whole donation thing plan was concocted, but my educated guess is that MU asked Coach Crean to be apart of the press conference to help promote his own generous donation as well as promote the campaign for more donations to the stadium.

I'm just not sure how you are coming to another conclusion as the one I'm talking about seems VERY, VERY likely.

Re-read my previous post, and just tell me what you think.

I'm not attacking you... I'm trying to give you a chance to offer up your solution. In the end we may not agree... but at least you can provide some actual perspective/insight rather than resorting to "believe what you want".

At the risk of starting a crapping exchange...

PRN, I still haven't seen you post your theory on the subject of Crean's presser.

I realize you think he is an a-hole, I'm just curious how you make the jump to "he call's his own pressers to promote himself".

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #188 on: March 30, 2008, 07:43:35 PM »

Basically, he's not a very likable guy and I would love it if he accepted another job.
[/quote]

Who do you want to get to replace him?  It seems some people complain a lot without offering any solutions.
[/quote]

We've never had a problem attracting coaching candidates...ever. Kevin O'Neill was one of the hottest assistant coaches in the country when he took over. Deane was something of a hot commodity. Heck, even Bob Dukiet was one of the most highly regarded coaches in the country.

We'd be fine if Crean left.

[/quote]

Wow, Deane and Dukiet???? you really must have your head up your ass. Crean is doing a great job at Marquette. It is a tough sell, urban, catholic campus in a frigid city. give me a break. just look down the road to Chicago and see how easy it has been for DePaul.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »
Hey check it out - Crean must have read scoop!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2013, 10:44:13 PM »
don't forget this one for yuks.... some gems in this one

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=20524.0

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59:33 PM »
Some 5 year Hoopin'. Impressive.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
This time of year both my MU bball obsession and the time between games are too much
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #193 on: March 11, 2013, 01:59:59 AM »
Again, when I say I wouldn't be upset if he left, I'm not advocating dismissing him by any means. That's insanity! But if took another job it wouldn't bother me at all.

Amen.  And why do people always think we'd hire Deane II or Dukiet II, why couldn't we just hire KO II or TC II?

Because there are alot more Deanes and Dukiets out there than KOs and TCs. By the way KO II would be a step down from TC by any measure you want to use. In fact, any coach since Al is a step below Crean. Why not just keep Crean I around instead of hoping for Crean II.

The wisdom of MUSF. A retrospective.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #194 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:15 AM »
How do you get on this e-mail list?

Favre retired and the sun came up the next day. If Crean bolts, we'd be just fine. Just think maybe we'll attract someone even more capable. I mean, is that even a possibility? Yeah, Tom's been here 9 seasons, but he's not the Second Coming. He'll be a much better coach at his next gig. Has been learning on the job here and slowly at that.
I agree with Rican. Talent level overall is subpar for a power conference like the BE. Maybe Tom's a better coach than I think. Has a knack for rubbing some the wrong way. Not believable when listening to him. Would make a great used car salesman, though. In summary, doesn't float my boat.

4ever. Insight. A more accurate retrospective.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #195 on: March 11, 2013, 02:23:35 AM »
He was attacked for calling a press conference to announce this donation...and rightfully so!

Thanks for reminding me.

Nightmare

Has he cut the first check yet?

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #196 on: March 11, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
keefe, it may be time for a break.

WilliamBurkhart

• Walk-On
« Reply #197 on: March 30, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »
I'm a 1970 Engineering grad and a very long time season ticket holder.
I had the pleasure of knowing Coaches Al and Ric personally.
I believe what made Coach Al "special" was his ability to control his team, change with the times, (accommodating the Black Athletics within the civil rights movement and early NBA signing),
and being an entertainer.  He also brought a sense of professionalism to the college coaching.
He also had a great relationship with the students and alumni.
Coach Crean was just different.  He "required" loyalty from the students and alumni but gave "little" in return.
Even though he and the AD discontinued the very popular Tip Off Club, I attended most basketball luncheons and banquets.  I'd ask him questions regarding upcoming important games against the Badgers or ND.  He always respond in generalities like: we need to get bigger, faster, and stronger".  dah.
With all that said, I believe that he was a good recruiter, and a decent bench coach.  Yet he is weird.
BB

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #198 on: March 31, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
C'mon Page 9 of this soon-to-be epic thread!
SS Marquette

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #199 on: March 31, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »
C'mon Page 9 of this soon-to-be epic thread!

9? Why limit ourselves!

Death on call

feedback