[Today at 04:47:29 PM]

Big Week for Markus by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:54:58 PM]

TK/Oso Summer League by Skatastrophy
[Today at 11:55:47 AM]

Men's Basketball Scholarships Increases to 15 in 2025-26 by bilsu
[Today at 11:52:47 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: President Lovell Passes Away  (Read 9553 times)

SaveOD238

• All American
Re: President Lovell Passes Away
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2024, 12:15:33 PM »
Sultan was the very first Scooper to express his genuine sadness at President Lovell’s passing. There nothing wrong with also thinking about what comes next when a great leader has been lost.

I'm gonna own up to doing exactly the same thing.  It's a natural instinct to wonder what comes next.  I was with a more connected friend when I found out to whom my first question was "was it known that his cancer had progressed?" followed shortly by "there's gotta be a succession plan in place, right?"

Will the university have formal meetings about it anytime soon?  Of course not.  But I guarantee those conversations have been had amongst the muckety-mucks already.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2024, 12:20:35 PM »
Sultan was the very first Scooper to express his genuine sadness at President Lovell’s passing. There nothing wrong with also thinking about what comes next when a great leader has been lost.

agreed, especially since this is a very critical time for our university as an institution.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2024, 12:25:18 PM »
I agree that Sutan gets a very hard pass here. He was not out of line, imo.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2024, 12:25:32 PM »
I'm gonna own up to doing exactly the same thing.  It's a natural instinct to wonder what comes next.  I was with a more connected friend when I found out to whom my first question was "was it known that his cancer had progressed?" followed shortly by "there's gotta be a succession plan in place, right?"

Will the university have formal meetings about it anytime soon?  Of course not.  But I guarantee those conversations have been had amongst the muckety-mucks already.

I would hope so. My guess is that there will be an interim of some sort next year - perhaps from outside the community? A former Trustee? A Jesuit?

We will see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2024, 12:56:32 PM »
Read the news last night and my heart sank.  Just reading the opening of the press release, I was thinking "please, no one pass away".  It had the somber, serious tone right off the bat. 

President Lovell was an amazing, compassionate leader for Marquette with a grand vision.  He has done so many positive advancements for the school and community.  I always remained in awe how student-facing he was.  He was regularly involved with the student body and epitomized being a servant leader.  So many thoughts and prayers to his family, friends, colleagues and to our Marquette as a whole.  His legacy will live on for a very long time. 

Would be very cool for a Marquette/UWM game to take place in his honor, with donations/sales of the game to cancer research.  Would be a great thing for the city as well. 

• All American
« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2024, 01:00:21 PM »
Would be very cool for a Marquette/UWM game to take place in his honor, with donations/sales of the game to cancer research.  Would be a great thing for the city as well. 

That is a really cool idea.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2024, 01:22:04 PM »

such an event would quality for an exemption and not take away from the permissible scrimmages, or have UWM take up a regular season home game. We could do it at the Al too. Let's get it done for President Lovell, MU.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2024, 01:48:59 PM »

I agree that Sutan gets a very hard pass here. He was not out of line, imo.

Fair enough. You both made very good points. It does not change my take, but I get what you are both saying.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2024, 03:24:55 PM »

I would hope so. My guess is that there will be an interim of some sort next year - perhaps from outside the community? A former Trustee? A Jesuit?

We will see.

Kimo in
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2024, 10:43:17 AM »
Have been grieving. Am so very sorry to hear of your and our loss of President Lovell. Thoughts and prayers are with and for, President Lovell and his family.

GoldenEaglePAC

• Walk-On
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2024, 01:18:34 PM »
such an event would quality for an exemption and not take away from the permissible scrimmages, or have UWM take up a regular season home game. We could do it at the Al too. Let's get it done for President Lovell, MU.

I have been hit very hard by all of this, too -- and have an additional, perhaps even more intriguing idea:

President Lovell loved running, as most of us well know;
Marquette used to have an annual run that was started by a beloved basketball coach that was recently shuttered for good.

I know it is very early days --what if we could bring back this run in both of their names?! With the proceeds going to his local healthcare system or a sarcoma/cancer foundation of the family's/university's choice??

IDK, it seems like, pardon the phrase, a match made in heaven. I honestly can't think of a better way to honor him.

my 2¢

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2024, 04:56:29 PM »

I have been hit very hard by all of this, too -- and have an additional, perhaps even more intriguing idea:

President Lovell loved running, as most of us well know;
Marquette used to have an annual run that was started by a beloved basketball coach that was recently shuttered for good.

I know it is very early days --what if we could bring back this run in both of their names?! With the proceeds going to his local healthcare system or a sarcoma/cancer foundation of the family's/university's choice??

IDK, it seems like, pardon the phrase, a match made in heaven. I honestly can't think of a better way to honor him.

my 2¢

Al and Mike's Run for Cancer

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2024, 10:17:43 PM »
Personally I think it should be against cancer

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2024, 06:12:07 AM »
Personally I think it should be against cancer
Markus not invited?

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2024, 07:53:50 AM »

You had me at hello.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2024, 08:01:36 AM »
The reason that Children's dropped Al's Run is because it was a low margin fundraiser that took a ton of staff time to pull off. It was better when you had Briggs as a title sponsor, and that was only because George Thompson was on their executive team, but there were legit reasons why it was sunsetted.

The basketball game with UWM makes more sense because you would theoretically be building it on top of an exhibition game that you are already staging.

• All American
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2024, 08:03:26 AM »
Shaka really is a wonderful representative of Marquette.

https://x.com/CoachShakaSmart/status/1801238154931753039

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2024, 08:05:58 AM »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2024, 10:08:58 AM »
Markus not invited?

I laughed out loud. Bravo.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2024, 10:15:02 AM »
The reason that Children's dropped Al's Run is because it was a low margin fundraiser that took a ton of staff time to pull off. It was better when you had Briggs as a title sponsor, and that was only because George Thompson was on their executive team, but there were legit reasons why it was sunsetted.

The basketball game with UWM makes more sense because you would theoretically be building it on top of an exhibition game that you are already staging.

There are legitimate reasons why it no longer worked for CHW howver, it can work as a low margin but high visibility, community goodwill event for MU. Getting 1000s of people down to the MU campus during prime running weather is a win for MU.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2024, 10:26:43 AM »
There are legitimate reasons why it no longer worked for CHW howver, it can work as a low margin but high visibility, community goodwill event for MU. Getting 1000s of people down to the MU campus during prime running weather is a win for MU.

"Community goodwill" is a really fuzzy concept. Getting 1000s of people onto the MU campus might indeed be good for MU. But at what cost? What are people at MU no longer going to do in order to do this?

As someone who has seen and organized dozens of similar events, it may not be the "win" you think it might be. They may do the math and run with it. (Get it?) But event-based fundraising is really high-margin stuff, which is why most schools got out of that business long ago.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2024, 11:14:47 AM »

As someone who has seen and organized dozens of similar events, it may not be the "win" you think it might be. They may do the math and run with it. (Get it?) But event-based fundraising is really high-margin stuff, which is why most schools got out of that business long ago.

I think you meant "low-margin stuff".  the higher the margin, the more money the school would make.
Have some patience, FFS.

• All American
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2024, 12:13:24 PM »
I think you meant "low-margin stuff".  the higher the margin, the more money the school would make.

You are correct. That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2024, 09:33:55 PM »
Shaka really is a wonderful representative of Marquette.

https://x.com/CoachShakaSmart/status/1801238154931753039

Beautiful and obviously heartfelt tribute to President Lovell. Shaka inspires students and alumni in addition to our basketball players. Everyone associated with Marquette is lucky to have him in their orbit.

feedback