[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Point guard or big  (Read 5382 times)

MUbiz

• Team Captain
Re: Point guard or big
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2024, 08:40:45 AM »
I'd like to see a 7-ft, 3-pt-marksman aircraft carrier who can run the point. In a blender, if possible.

^ This

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2024, 09:01:21 AM »
I'd like to see a 7-ft, 3-pt-marksman aircraft carrier who can run the point. In a blender, if possible.

Right, my answer was point-center.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 09:03:29 AM »
Are we talking about adding depth or taking minutes from our projected starters?

I would think a big would be good for depth.

Adding a starting pg would mean (most likely) Chase coming off the bench again.  Adding a starting 4/5 would have a similar effect on Jop/Gold.

I am happy going into next year with what we have plus filling the last schollie available with size.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2024, 09:19:32 AM »

I just don't get why Shaka didn't get Wemby.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2024, 09:24:50 AM »
I just don't get why Shaka didn't get Wemby.

Shaka cooled on him
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2024, 09:54:21 AM »
Are we talking about adding depth or taking minutes from our projected starters?

I would think a big would be good for depth.

Adding a starting pg would mean (most likely) Chase coming off the bench again.  Adding a starting 4/5 would have a similar effect on Jop/Gold.

I am happy going into next year with what we have plus filling the last schollie available with size.

Honest question-Are you suggesting that a transfer "with size" would be happy coming off the bench?

Your comments on Chase, Jop and Gold are valid.

Tower's question seems simple at first glance, but I am struggling with how to answer it.  :-\
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

1990Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2024, 10:16:05 AM »

"Honest question-Are you suggesting that a transfer "with size" would be happy coming off the bench?"

I don't know if it is possible, but I would think there is someone who would take the compromise of some NIL + being on a good team and making a contribution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2024, 10:20:06 AM »
Jayce Johnson-ish contributor?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Don_Kojis

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2024, 10:26:42 AM »
If we could get a 4-5 stud, then Jolpin could go back to sixth man where he excelled.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2024, 10:30:39 AM »
I would be tremendously surprised if Joplin comes off the bench regardless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2024, 11:09:11 AM »
"Honest question-Are you suggesting that a transfer "with size" would be happy coming off the bench?"

I don't know if it is possible, but I would think there is someone who would take the compromise of some NIL + being on a good team and making a contribution.

I could see an under-the -radar, probably freshman transfer that Shaka sees as having potential. Mid major. The deal might be the guy has to prove himself off the bench for a season.

In the above case, I'll go with a big as my answer.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2024, 11:36:38 AM »
If we could get a 4-5 stud, then Jolpin could go back to sixth man where he excelled.

Give us your top-5 targets.

Thanks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2024, 11:38:56 AM »
A 7'4" giant.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2024, 11:40:28 AM »
PG.

Sean may not be ready and Kam is not a PG any more than Vander was. He can play capably for short stretches, but he is a MUCH better off-ball guard than a PG.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2024, 11:41:16 AM »
I think we need more depth deep. Ben may pick it up, but after him it's ?????

Class71

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2024, 02:49:46 PM »
Assume MU has one scholarship.   Do you want a PG or size?

Both are needed. So regrettably someone should go if our priority is to progress further. To assume any human can with 100% accuracy pick  players that can perform at a high level and play team basketball is unrealistic. Mistakes are made by the best of us. Shaka is no exception.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2024, 02:56:00 PM »
How is having a stable roster a mistake? 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2024, 02:58:36 PM »
Both are needed. So regrettably someone should go if our priority is to progress further. To assume any human can with 100% accuracy pick  players that can perform at a high level and play team basketball is unrealistic. Mistakes are made by the best of us. Shaka is no exception.

Who should go?

Do you think Shaka will change his M.O.? (regarding "high level and team basketball")

What mistake(s) do you think Shaka made?

Class71

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2024, 03:14:14 PM »
Who should go?

Do you think Shaka will change his M.O.? (regarding "high level and team basketball")

What mistake(s) do you think Shaka made?

I doubt he will change his M.O. but some adjustment given different circumstances would show some flexibility. It is never pleasant to let someone go but it is also unpleasant to sit on the bench except for minutes when the game is already decided.

As to who that should be is obvious to me at this point. I am confident, since you asked the question, you disagree which is fine.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

tower912

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2024, 03:22:09 PM »
A year ago, Keeyan and Emarion both left.  I think it is clear that Shaka and the staff are optimistic about the 12 returning scholarship players.   None have been shown the door.     So, one scholarship.  And the coaches are clearly out there kicking tires.   
   What strikes me is that the names we are hearing are almost exclusively guards.   That gibes with the notion that the staff is pleased with Hamilton's development, that they think Gold is ready to start, and that they think Owens and Parham can contribute.
  But, they have pulled surprises before, so I will sit back and watch with interest.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2024, 03:25:14 PM »
I doubt he will change his M.O. but some adjustment given different circumstances would show some flexibility. It is never pleasant to let someone go but it is also unpleasant to sit on the bench except for minutes when the game is already decided.

As to who that should be is obvious to me at this point. I am confident, since you asked the question, you disagree which is fine.

I feel like you would have been just fine with Oso leaving after his freshman year.  What a mistake that would have been. 

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2024, 03:32:24 PM »

I'm not disagreeing with you or anyone here at all. I'm simply asking questions. Most of the posts here lead me to believe that scoopers are expecting a transfer who will be a starter so of course, someone currently on the team either has to go or be willing to come off the bench. A high-level P6 transfer is not coming to Marquette to come off the bench. If "someone should go", I think it is reasonable to expect that person to be named.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2024, 03:46:47 PM »
How is having a stable roster a mistake?

Stable rosters are often times very good, particularly in the current climate. That it works in all situations is questionable.

I expect Shaka will get every ounce of talent out of the team he selects. I think most will agree. If he finishes in the elite 8 or above next year not only am I wrong but it will be a historical season.

I hope I am wrong.

Separately I would not drop any of our remaining starters. We lost two starters. That should be enough incentive for two to come in to fight for those positions.

⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

Class71

• All American
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2024, 04:05:48 PM »
To answer the other responses.

Yes, I would not have gambled on Oso and I would have been wrong.

Concerning who I would let go, I will not respond. These are all fine young men who should not be singled out on a blog.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2024, 04:54:55 PM »
I think the team’s biggest need is some muscle up front, so the question is whether one of the current 12 scholarship players can provide it. The coaching staff knows that a lot better than any of us do.

If so, then target a sharpshooter. If not, then find someone to come in.